PDA

View Full Version : Bus driver fired after he refuses to take women to Planned Parenthood clinic

PM5K
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- An Austin bus driver has filed a lawsuit claiming he was fired based on his religious beliefs.

Wire reports state an attorney for Edwin Graning filed the lawsuit against Capital Area Rural Transportation System. Graning, an ordained Christian minister, states in the lawsuit he was "concerned that he might be transporting a client to undergo an abortion" when he refused to take two women to a Planned Parenthood clinic. Graning was later fired when he returned his bus to the bus yard.

The lawsuit claims Graning's former employer violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin.

Graning is represented by attorneys from the American Center for Law & Justice, which was founded by evangelical Christian leader Pat Robertson.

WOAI (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Bus-driver-fired-after-he-refuses-to-take-women/Ui8KppdvZUOAkYdTkckTrQ.cspx)

Drachen
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Um, doesnt the bus run a specified route? Fired for not running your route. Done

DisAsTerBot
07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
ahhh ministers.....

Drachen
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
The funny thing is there was no discrimination based on his religious beliefs. The dude was hired right. They were firing him for failing to perform his job function. It would be discrimination if they didn't fire him.

The Reckoning
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
dumbass. they were probably picking up their nuvaring or something like that.

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
lol abusing the system

looks like someone is going to be compensated

PM5K
07-20-2010, 02:35 PM
For what it's worth I don't think it was a specific route, I believe he was dispatched to pick them up at a specific location and take them to PP.

CubanMustGo
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Only 3% of PP's work involves abortions. Dude made an assumption, refused to take a passenger where they LEGALLY wanted to go, he was fired for failure to perform his job. End of story.

Richard Cranium
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/RalphKramden-300x268.jpg

Kriz-Maxima
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe if he did his job he wouldn't had gotten fired.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I wonder how many people of Islamic faith are being fired cuz they won't take you to a liquor store. Happened to a friend this past weekend.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I wonder how many people of Islamic faith are being fired cuz they won't take you to a liquor store. Happened to a friend this past weekend.

In a taxi?

PM5K
07-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I tried to get a ride from an Amish dude to the HEB but he told me his horse was too tired.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I tried to get a ride from an Amish dude to the HEB but he told me his horse was too tired.

Oh yeah, well a Jew told me he wouldn't drive me to the Culebra Meat Market #10.

PM5K
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah, well a Jew told me he wouldn't drive me to the Culebra Meat Market #10.

What about #9?

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
What about #9?

He said that was ok, but only because we stopped at costco first and I bought him a hot dog.

JoeChalupa
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
In a taxi?

Yep. I heard about it last year and now I know for a fact that it's going on. He told my buddy flat out that it's against his beliefs to take him there.

JoeChalupa
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
He said that was ok, but only because we stopped at costco first and I bought him a hot dog.

kosher?

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Yep. I heard about it last year and now I know for a fact that it's going on. He told my buddy flat out that it's against his beliefs to take him there.

Good thing taxi drivers are set up as their own businesses and therefore allowed to pick up or not pick up a fare as they see fit.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
kosher?

Costco sells Hebrew National hotdogs. LOL (don't worry I figured that maybe only half of the people would know and that I would have to explain, but it was just a question of who and when).

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Good thing taxi drivers are set up as their own businesses and therefore allowed to pick up or not pick up a fare as they see fit.

I guess you're for segregated country clubs then, too.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I am for business owners being able to cater to whatever customer they want. So long as they don't receive government funding or break any laws in the process.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I am for business owners being able to cater to whatever customer they want. So long as they don't receive government funding or break any laws in the process.

Catering is one thing. Segregating is another.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I guess you're for segregated country clubs then, too.

Also, to directly answer your question. I don't care about who country clubs let into their ranks. It is a private institution and as long as the will of the membership is reflected in its policies, why not have the ability to segregate, or not segregate?

If you are asking if I would join such a club, no, it would be too ... monochromatic and non-varietal to me. I probably couldn't anyway since my kids are half-mexican which tells you a little about my wife.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Catering is one thing. Segregating is another.

This (or these) taxi drivers that you speak of have set policies in their business to cater to the "not looking to buy alcohol at this moment" subset of the market.

PM5K
07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
He told my buddy flat out that it's against his beliefs to take him there.

So he asked to be taken to the place next door, lol.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
And a few business owners in the 60s catered to the "not looking to share this space with a negro at this moment" subset in the market.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
So he asked to be taken to the place next door, lol.

Nope. Once he knew that's where he wanted to go he took him straight to his hotel.

JoeChalupa
07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
That is a correct statement.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:42 PM
And a few business owners in the 60s catered to the "not looking to share this space with a negro at this moment" subset in the market.

Ok, well if you are going to go that route, tell me when you are organizing a taxi sit-in in this guy's cab, I will let other people who have too much time on their hands that it should be sweaty ballrific.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
That is a correct statement.

what is?

Oh and PMK5, I was thinking the exact same thing, but I was in the midst of battling a metaphor that was epically stupid.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok, well if you are going to go that route, tell me when you are organizing a taxi sit-in in this guy's cab, I will let other people who have too much time on their hands that it should be sweaty ballrific.

Well more than likely it will be at the taxi company's place. That is if the taxi cab company isn't named Habib's Lift Services or Akbar's Ride cuz the company, be it Yellow Taxi or Checker cab is the company employing him. Just like the bus driver.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Once again, not something that I support, but if the market isn't making them change their practices. . . .

Put it this way. Woolworths didn't change their lunch counter policy because it was the right thing to do, it was because they were losing sales all across the country because the sit-ins, etc got publicity which was broadcast all over, accompanied by those same people at the sit ins being tortured by the powers that be.

If this guy isn't worried about the lost fare, oh well. what can you do, he is a private business owner.

Another problem with your metaphor is that one set is being "discriminated" against over an action they would like to take, while the other is being discriminated against based on who they are. No choice involved.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow. Ok.

Drachen
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Well more than likely it will be at the taxi company's place. That is if the taxi cab company isn't named Habib's Lift Services or Akbar's Ride cuz the company, be it Yellow Taxi or Checker cab is the company employing him. Just like the bus driver.

Just know that many cabbies are independant and are only affiliated with a company as customers of that company's services.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Nope. Once he knew that's where he wanted to go he took him straight to his hotel.Why did he stay in the cab?

Spurminator
07-20-2010, 05:21 PM

I think this is more similar to a pizza company saying they won't deliver to your neighborhood than it is to segregation.

The driver should have let your friend out immediately so he could find a different cab though.