PDA

View Full Version : Reigning Black: Jefferson to Resign

MaNu4Tres
07-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Jefferson to Resign
Reigning Black

According to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News, Richard Jefferson should be back in San Antonio prepping to sign a new long-term contract with the Spurs on Wednesday.

Jefferson -- a 6-7 small forward and 9-year veteran of the NBA -- left more than a few scratching their heads with his decision to opt out of a final year that would've guaranteed him $15.2 million. But seeking to avoid the uncertainty of free-agency in a post-CBA renegotiation, Jefferson elected for long-term security -- the thinking to give a little now to recoup much more later.

But in one of the stranger free-agent markets in a long time -- one where Johan Petro essentially equals Tiago Splitter and a restricted free-agent in Rudy Gay gets a max contract without creating leverage -- Jefferson found himself standing without a chair when the music had all but stopped.

Terms of the contract have yet to be ascertained but it would be a fair assumption to think that Jefferson's yearly salary will be cut in half -- unlike Rudy Gay, Jefferson was allowed to test his market-value and create whatever leverage he could, only there was no leverage to be found. His stock had never fallen further. The Spurs will gain some much-needed breathing room with regards to the luxury-tax line and for the third time this offseason, they'll have acquired the most talented player available for the role -- Splitter and Bonner preceding.
Continue Reading >>>> (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/)

lefty
07-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Duplicate !!!!

SenorSpur
07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
For a minute there, I thought he was turning in his 2-week notice.

spurs1990
07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Hey guys, so with Dick back on board, our 10 man rotation is set.

Parker, Gino, RJ, Tim, McDyess starting with Hill, Anderson, Bonner, Blair and Splittler in reserve.

Essentially the same team that got it's butt swept by Phoenix in May, with the exception of an unproven int'l big man and a rookie who's dealing with a lingering injury.

Lovely! What a great time to be a Spurs fan.

Danny.Zhu
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Parker, Gino, RJ, Tim, McDyess starting with Hill, Anderson, Bonner, Blair and Splittler in reserve.

Essentially the same team that got it's butt swept by Phoenix in May, with the exception of an unproven int'l big man and a rookie who's dealing with a lingering injury.

Agreed, not to mentioned that Timmy and Manu are getting older.

Unless we can use the LLE to sign Shaq...

will_spurs
07-21-2010, 09:19 AM

I guess you would have preferred a proven big man like Petro (or Bonner, for that matter). But anyway, you can add to that one year of playing together, Hill entering his prime, Blair with more experience under his belt, Parker not slowed down by international play over the summer and injuries, more help for Duncan inside (even if "unproven"), etc.

timvp
07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Got excited for a sec.

Capt Bringdown
07-21-2010, 09:36 AM

I don't know what moves the Spurs could have made in order to return to title-contender form. We're in "gonna take a miracle" mode from here on out. The Splitter signing was nice, but ridiculous Bonner contract means that not much can be expected of this team.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
crofl words are fun

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
but ridiculous Bonner contract means that not much can be expected of this team.

What's his contract numbers again? Link?

Also why would adding Bonner ,instead of no one, be a sign that not much can be expected? This doesn't make sense, surely.

hater
07-21-2010, 09:58 AM
wake up. no realistic offseason move would instantly have made the Spurs contenders.

IMO they got better than last year. and resigning RJ is actually better than nothing.

Capt Bringdown
07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Also why would adding Bonner ,instead of no one, be a sign that not much can be expected? This doesn't make sense, surely.

Can you tell me how signing a player who is a proven playoff failure should impact our expectations?

Did we get so much better in other areas that we can afford to have a player disappear in the POs?

Was signing Bonner or signing no one our only choice?

galvatron3000
07-21-2010, 10:09 AM
so is he being traded for Stephen Jackson....woo-hoo

Oh, man. Who made this thread, I thought Jackson was coming back in a sign and trade deal.

::throws rocks::

galvatron3000
07-21-2010, 10:09 AM
so is he being traded for Stephen Jackson....woo-hoo

Oh, man. Who made this thread, I thought Jackson was coming back in a sign and trade deal.

::throws rocks::

Mr. Body
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm very happy to have Jefferson back. Far better than the alternative of having him run.

nbaman99
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Well i think its Splitter starting and Dice from the bench, specially because Dice likes to come from the bench

lefty
07-21-2010, 10:26 AM
It's all about the San Antonio heat now.

5in10
07-21-2010, 10:32 AM

2. The Pessimist – As miserable as this fan usually is, you wonder why he bothers to root for his team or how he’s managed to avoid taking his own life by this point. Every win is meaningless because it’s only a matter of time before the season goes into a death spiral. This type of fan may actually be attracted to bad teams because they help validate their natural state of mind. See: Warriors fans.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Can you tell me how signing a player who is a proven playoff failure should impact our expectations?

Did we get so much better in other areas that we can afford to have a player disappear in the POs?

Was signing Bonner or signing no one our only choice?

That's exactly what I'm saying - signing or not signing Bonner shouldn't impact the expectations towards the Spurs whatsoever.

And yes, it was him or no one indeed, because of the salary cap situation.It's not like the Spurs could have handed someone else the contract they gave Bonned, whatever the exact figues are.

Chomag
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM

This is kind of how I feel about this Spurs off-season. Other teams working to get stronger and the only move the spurs have made is bring in an unproven player. Thats a pretty weak off-season if you ask me.

Spurs are still basically trotting out the same team that got swept out of the second round last season and that is now with another year older TD and Manu.

I only hope that Blair, Hill, and maybe Hairston have greatly improved their game then things might not seem so bad.

Also Bonner being Spur's FO priority signing this off-season is just LOL-worthy

Cane
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
This is kind of how I feel about this Spurs off-season. Other teams working to get stronger and the only move the spurs have made is bring in an unproven player. Thats a pretty weak off-season if you ask me.

Spurs are still basically trotting out the same team that got swept out of the second round last season and that is now with another year older TD and Manu.

I only hope that Blair, Hill, and maybe Hairston have greatly improved their game then things might not seem so bad.

Lighten up: Tony Parker should be healthy (compare his 09 self to 2010) and the Suns have been dismantled. Another year's worth of experience should help RJ as well. :toast

HarlemHeat37
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
There's no possible move the Spurs could have made to get back to being a legit contender, it would have been impossible..the Spurs are in "if" mode, and it will remain that way, the moves are irrelevant..the current roster has championship potential, there's nobody they could have realistically brought in to make the team better..

-IF Duncan can hold up by getting enough rest during the regular season..
-IF Manu holds up..
-IF Parker returns to form..
-IF Splitter has a smooth transition..
-IF 1 or 2 of the young guys on the team improve..
-IF Jefferson can play better..
-IF Pop stops drinking during games..

Every Spurs fan needs to accept this..the Spurs are a long shot, and they would need every one of these "IFs" to happen for them to have a legit contender..

PDXSpursFan
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
The article lost credibility when it put "most talented player" and Bonner in the same sentence. :bang

Cane
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
More than possible to beat LA - they only finished 2 wins higher than the 2nd seeded Mavs and they've got plenty of IF's as well.

HarlemHeat37
07-21-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree, the Lakers have plenty of IFs as well, but not as many as the Spurs do..

I also don't believe the Lakers are the team to beat anymore, although that could just be IMO..

E-RockWill
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
The article lost credibility when it put "most talented player" and Bonner in the same sentence. :bang

They don't realize the power of blue.......

BadOne
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
:wakeup
Since 2003, when was the last time anyone expected the Spurs to win it all before the season? [Aside from NBA GM's]

I know they've gotten older, but they always seem to over acheive against the common doubter. Bonner does suck, but I agree that adding him or not would've maded no significant difference unless Pop really goes off his ticker and plays him more than Splitter, Blair or McDyess.

Pop took a Rasho, Nazr & Beno and made these guys Champions in 05. Then in 07, took a Oberto, Vaughn and older Finley and did the same. Yes Tim, Tony and Manu are the Big 3, but hoping RJ is better fitted into his role this year [GOD WILLING], I don't see why it's impossible for them to win it again.

Why bother hating during this early in the off season. The real work is about to begin in training camp and then during the season. can't really come up with a logical hypothesis until at least mid-season. As a fan though, all you can do is root and hope. :lobt2::flag:

Blackjack
07-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Bonner was the most talented player for the role. Had they not signed him, their options were vet-minimums and D-League types to replace his skill-set.

The Spurs wanted and needed 3-point shooting and Bonner brings that at a 40% clip during the regular season and he's done it as a Spur -- no player they could've acquired can boast that.

He may have earned the choker label with that '09 performance against the Mavs, where he was just putrid, but he's not a bum of a player lacking talent. He was just miscast in a role that made him too important -- Bonner was the most talented player for the role; most talented does not necessarily mean best for the team, though . . .

E-RockWill
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
2 sensible posts in a row by BadOne & Blackjack.

This offseason has gone pretty much like I thought it was going to go. RJ opting out was unexpected, however, so IMO it created room for massive speculation.
I assumed that resigning Jefferson & Bonner, inking Tiago then filling out the wings was pretty much the plan. You throw in Anderson, Temple, Hairston & Gee & call it a day. You figure everything else out during camp.

As far as anticipation goes, I can't fucking wait for the season to start..........

hater
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
The Spurs wanted and needed 3-point shooting and Bonner brings that at a 40% clip during the regular season and he's done it as a Spur -- no player they could've acquired can boast that.

:lmao

BadOne
07-21-2010, 01:16 PM
As far as anticipation goes, I can't fucking wait for the season to start..........

Amen Brotha! THIS and THIS again! :toast

TJastal
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
:lmao

:lmao :lmao

DJB
07-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Yeah, because a 37 year old 7'1 360 pounder that just about needs a walker to get on and off the court after playing his maximum amount of 10 minutes is really going to put us over the top. :sleep

Blackjack
07-21-2010, 01:29 PM
To be fair, you have to get to the postseason, but their is a reason why I specified. :hat

E-RockWill
07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
To be fair, you have to get to the postseason, but their is a reason why I specified. :hat

Also, IIRC, nobody was able to hit from the outside the past postseasons, let alone Matt Bonner.

coyotes_geek
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Also, IIRC, nobody was able to hit from the outside the past postseasons, let alone Matt Bonner.

Ssshh. It's all Matt Bonner's fault, just because it is.

E-RockWill
07-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Ssshh. It's all Matt Bonner's fault, just because it is.

Understood....

Blackjack
07-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Bonner had a PER of 14.9, a TS% of .581 and an eFG% of .567 during the regualr season last year.

In the postseason he had a PER of 8.6, a TS% of .557 and an eFG% of .545 -- not a ringing endorsement of a playoff performer but this wasn't the season that earned him the choker label.

But look back to those same categories in 2009:

Regular season: PER 15 TS% .611 eFG% .606

Postseason: PER 3.3 TS% .314 eFG% .283

The guy's an average player during the regular season and he's fallen off (off a cliff in '09) in the postseason.

But look at the bright side, he should be depended on less than ever, and he did improve pretty significantly from his first to second postseason -- at this rate he should be his average self in year 2 of his newly-signed 4-year contract! :downspin:

sa_butta
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_resign__jefferson_100721.html

SAN ANTONIO, July 21, 2010 – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have re-signed Richard Jefferson (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/richard_jefferson/index.html). Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

peacemaker885
07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Cheers!

E-RockWill
07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Here we go.....

tmtcsc
07-21-2010, 02:45 PM

YEAH !!! Shaq will make them look younger. Good thinking. :toast

JR3
07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
I would be happy with 7 mil a year

Trill Clinton
07-21-2010, 02:49 PM
YEAH !!! Shaq will make them look younger. Good thinking. :toast

lol

Capt Bringdown
07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying - signing or not signing Bonner shouldn't impact the expectations towards the Spurs whatsoever.
Seems to me this is pretty much the same as saying that not much is to be expected.

Spurs Brazil
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
:depressed:depressed:depressed

How the fuck they trusted Jefferson?

:depressed:depressed:depressed

timtonymanu
04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
lol working with Pop all summer long
lol Artest > Jefferson
lol 3 more years
lol trading Bruce for him

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
...and RJ's awful contract is now exactly the millstone I predicted it would be for a team that desperately needs to blow it all up and rebuild. Ugh.

:pctoss

timtonymanu
04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
...and RJ's awful contract is now exactly the millstone I predicted it would be for a team that desperately needs to blow it all up and rebuild. Ugh.

:pctoss

don't forget we also have Bonner. Ugh. 3 more years with these two. I would have rather kept Bogans and Mason for one more season.

SenorSpur
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Year 2 of the RJ experiment was only slightly better than Year 1. He doesn't fit there. There's absolutely no sense keeping RJ around anymore.

Capt Bringdown
04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Year 2 of the RJ experiment was only slightly better than Year 1. He doesn't fit there. There's absolutely no sense keeping RJ around anymore.

Game 4: 0 for 4 in 27 minutes; Game 3: 1 for 4 in 36 minutes.

This turd is worse than Hedo.

SenorSpur
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Game 4: 0 for 4 in 27 minutes; Game 3: 1 for 4 in 36 minutes.

This turd is worse than Hedo.

With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire and purse strings getting tight, I'm not sure where the Spurs could find a sucker to take RJ's contract and give them something of value in return.

Too bad Isiah Thomas is no longer running the Knicks.