PDA

View Full Version : Will this be Pop's last year as coach?

BadMotorscooter
07-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I think he may be getting worn down a bit. If we dont make the Finals or at least the Western Conference Finals...that may be it for Pop. Not saying he would get fired, just saying he might pull a Pat Riley and move back to the front office and bring in the heir apparent. He's gonna feel a lot of heat for re-signing Bonner and Jefferson...and then expectations are high after getting Splitter to come over....could be tough on Pop if the Spurs fall in the 1st or 2nd round again this year for the third straight year. I think this is a make or break year for him staying on the bench or not.

4>0rings
07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
He's riding Duncans coat tails till he retires.

HarlemHeat37
07-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Pop goes when Bonner goes..

20beastie45
I hope he stays to coach these young guys(Blair Hill Anderson Splitter)I think they absolutley need him for their development!

8FOR!3
Who cares, it is what it is. But I do hope he stays...:king

20beastie45
Pop goes when Bonner goes..
:lmao

BadMotorscooter
07-21-2010, 07:07 PM

I dont know about that. He came into the gig under very questionable circumstances...I dont think he'll go out the same way. he caught a lot of heat for firing Hill right when Robinson was coming back off injury. I dont think he'll wait till Duncan is done and then hand the keys over to a new guy so they look bad. He'll give the new guy something to work with. Especially if it's Bud.

SPURSGOAT
07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
when TD retires POP will retire...:hat

silverblk mystix
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Pop already said he should be fired if the spurs did not win a title last year....

nothing happened so pop will stay as long as he wants

GhosTown
07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I think he may be getting worn down a bit. If we dont make the Finals or at least the Western Conference Finals...that may be it for Pop. Not saying he would get fired, just saying he might pull a Pat Riley and move back to the front office and bring in the heir apparent. He's gonna feel a lot of heat for re-signing Bonner and Jefferson...and then expectations are high after getting Splitter to come over....could be tough on Pop if the Spurs fall in the 1st or 2nd round again this year for the third straight year. I think this is a make or break year for him staying on the bench or not.

The Spurs should have been fired Pop last mid season. Any fool that thinks you can when an NBA championship playing Matt Bonner or Small Ball, should not be coaching a team like the Spurs. Send that kind of stupidity to the Clippers or Golden state.

SouthTexasRancher
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
If all our new young guns keep improving I can see him staying here another 5 years or so to see if he can help them win Ring/Trophy/Banner #6. We get #5 this year. Mark it down and take it to the bank..........I think!

Austin_Toros
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I want Pop and TD to go out together in a fairytale ending..

superbigtime
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Please fucking retire.

Bukefal
07-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Let's hope not. He is one of the best coaches in the world. We wont find a new one like him so fast.

GoSpurs99
07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
It's amazing to me that any Spurs fan would want Pop fired. He is considered one of the three best coaches in the NBA.

How quickly we forget the coaching turnstile before Pop stabilized this dynastic NBA franchise.

Shifty
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
I want Pop and TD to go out together in a fairytale ending..

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:
3-peat?

You heard it here first :flag:

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
It's amazing to me that any Spurs fan would want Pop fired. He is considered one of the three best coaches in the NBA.

How quickly we forget the coaching turnstile before Pop stabilized this dynastic NBA franchise.

I'm not a Pop hater, but he's not the reason the Spurs became an elite franchise..

hater
07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm not a Pop hater, but he's not the reason the Spurs became an elite franchise..

but he's top 3 reason

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
#1. Timmy
#2. Robinson
#3/4. Manu/Parker

Pop would be reason #5..

TDMVPDPOY
07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
if we win, will duncan opt out of his final year? and go out with a bang?

purist
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
#1. Timmy
#2. Robinson
#3/4. Manu/Parker

Pop would be reason #5..

You give Pop too little credit. SPurs would never have even considered Manu and Parker if not for Pop's philosphy about overseas players. And he instilled the defensive mindset that was the foundation of the title runs.

If all it took was talented players then the Mavs would have a ton of rings. Someone has to have the vision and gumption to stick to a plan, unlike the knee-jerk fans that want change every time the wind blows.

Seventyniner
07-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Pop is by a wide margin the second best coach in the NBA, with Jackson ahead of him (again by a wide margin).

ohmwrecker
07-22-2010, 11:52 AM
#1. Timmy
#2. Robinson
#3/4. Manu/Parker

Pop would be reason #5..

Pop lucked into Robinson and Duncan, but he found, developed and gave opportunity to Manu and Tony. I would revise:

1 Tim
2 Dave
3 Pop
4/5 Manu/Tony

6 Horry

Dunc n Dave
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
#1. Timmy
#2. Robinson
#3/4. Manu/Parker

Pop would be reason #5..

Talent wins games, but not necessarily championships. Coaching is VERY important in that mixture. Look at Kobe and Shaq before Phil got there. They had 2 of the Top 5 players in the league and got swept by the Spurs in 99, then Jackson comes in and they win 3 straight.

Pop's emphasis on defense can't be overlooked. It's no coincidence the team has rated so highly in defensive categories since he's been coaching.

Also, do you really think an offensive minded coach would have signed a guy like Bruce Bowen as a FA? He was a Popovich-type of player and was CRUCIAL in the 03, 05, and 07 championships. He would not have been a Spur if Pop was not the head coach.

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I never said Pop wasn't a good coach:lol..I think coaching is very overrated, but Pop has been one of the few coaches that has made more good moves/decisions than bad ones..

I just believe coaches get too much credit, and I believe the top players are always more important when it comes to winning..

It's not just Pop, I say this about every coach..if you give Phil Jackson less talent, he doesn't win shit either..

The NFL is the only sport where I would give a lot of credit to the coaches, at least IMO..

hater
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
LMAO Manu/Parker above Pop

no Pop = no Manu/Parker/Splitter

Seventyniner
07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I never said Pop wasn't a good coach:lol..I think coaching is very overrated, but Pop has been one of the few coaches that has made more good moves/decisions than bad ones..

I just believe coaches get too much credit, and I believe the top players are always more important when it comes to winning..

It's not just Pop, I say this about every coach..if you give Phil Jackson less talent, he doesn't win shit either..

The NFL is the only sport where I would give a lot of credit to the coaches, at least IMO..

In the last 29 seasons, only 8 coaches have won a title: Jackson (11), Riley (5), Popovich (4), K.C. Jones (2), Rudy Tomjanovich (2), Chuck Daly (2), Billy Cunningham (1), Larry Brown, (1), and Doc Rivers (1). 23 of those were won by current or future Hall of Fame coaches.

That said, I think Jackson is far better than Pop, and Pop is far better than any other active coach. If Phil Jackson had come to SA instead of the Lakers in the summer of 1999, I think the Spurs would have 6 or 7 titles and Duncan would be up there with Jordan in the GOAT discussion.

In addition, if Phil Jackson had retired this offseason, I would've bet large amounts of money against the Lakers winning the title this coming season, and that has nothing to do with the team being assembled in Miami.

Dr. Gonzo
07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Isiah Thomas could have coached this team to 5 titles by now with Duncan. Popastink is fucking terrible. He didn't play Ian Mahinmi. He doesn't deserve to be a bench coach much less a head coach.

Chomag
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Isiah Thomas could have coached this team to 5 titles by now with Duncan. Popastink is fucking terrible. He didn't play Ian Mahinmi. He doesn't deserve to be a bench coach much less a head coach.

Ian is gone bro, let it go...

Honest question to you though, when will you be able to post without talking about the guy?

ElNono
07-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Ian is gone bro, let it go...

Honest question to you though, when will you be able to post without talking about the guy?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. He just doesn't believe in blue.

Mikesatx
07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I think Pop was a huge reason Tim resigned in 2001. That alone puts him right at the top with Tim and David. Leading a team to 4 titles aint to shabby either.

Dr. Gonzo
07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
ian is gone bro, let it go...

ian mahinmi alters shots dick!

ElNono
07-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I think Pop was a huge reason Tim resigned in 2001.

I know, if he would have re-signed instead, we could have won easily 3 more titles... :lol

Mikesatx
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I know, if he would have re-signed instead, we could have won easily 3 more titles... :lol

re-sign

   /riˈsaɪn/ http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) Show Spelled[ree-sahyn] http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) Show IPA
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 1. to sign again.

2. to renew or extend a contract.

Use resign in a Sentence (http://ask.reference.com/web?q=Use+resign+in+a+Sentence&qsrc=2892&o=101993)

See images of resign (http://ask.reference.com/pictures?q=resign&o=102285)

Search resign on the Web (http://ask.reference.com/web?q=resign&o=102284)

Origin:
1795–1805

—Can be confused:   re-sign, resign.

ElNono
07-22-2010, 11:09 PM
I think Pop was a huge reason Tim resigned in 2001.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resign

Main Entry: re·sign
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈzīn\
Function: verb

1 : relegate, consign; especially : to give (oneself) over without resistance <resigned herself to her fate>
2 : to give up deliberately; especially : to renounce (as a right or position) by a formal act
intransitive verb
1 : to give up one's office or position : quit
2 : to accept something as inevitable : submit

It was just a joke on the misspelling, BTW.

Mikesatx
07-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I know-- and I thought you were right at first but wanted to check it. The dictionary.com explanation created grey area so I thought I'd try and pass it off.

mytespurs
07-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Agreed. It won't be until he's gone that he'd be really appreciated.....and any team in this league would snatch Pop in a quick minute if he departed from the Spurs (and still wanted to coach).

ElNono
07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I know-- and I thought you were right at first but wanted to check it. The dictionary.com explanation created grey area so I thought I'd try and pass it off.

Grey areas are cool. Carry on. :tu

ElNono
07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I wonder what a Sloan-hating Utah Jazz fan looks like. I bet if such persons exist, they probably already gave up on the sport.

Pauleta14
07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
I saw 2 interviews of him duriing the SL and he didn't looked worned down at all! I would even say the contrary...
He seemed to enjoy his job and in general has a "laid bck" attitude, a sens of humour that could help him keep going for a long time!
I never take for granted what he says in interviews, he'll continue after Tim stops...

spurspokesman
07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

This. At the end of the day its the players. Coaches get to much credit in my opinion. Pop makes me scratch my freaking head sometimes. Take away duncan and his ass would be gone. Duncan made him. With the help of a few others robinson gino etc.

dbestpro
07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I want the old Pop back. You know, the one who wanted to rest Duncan and not wear him out by leaving him as the only big on the floor. Yeah, the one who does not play SFs at the PF and demands ball movement from his PG.

Agloco
07-23-2010, 09:30 AM

They've rehashed this over and over.....

Pop and Duncan are riding into the sunset together.

Agloco
07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I wonder what a Sloan-hating Utah Jazz fan looks like. I bet if such persons exist, they probably already gave up on the sport.

:lol

cantthinkofanything
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
http://www.stumblebumblemonkey.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/POPshirt.jpg

superbigtime
07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
How many championships would Phil Jackson have won during the Duncan era? No way we would have lost to the Mavs in '06. No way.

senorglory
07-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Rose, Elson, Nazr, these guys haven't done for any other team what they did with the Spurs, maybe the credit goes to coaching.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Kevin O'Keefe, is that you?

nevitt_&_smrek
07-23-2010, 11:36 PM
He hasn't fired himself yet? All that talent, and he couldn't deliver. Not a man of his word, apparently.

:p:

BadMotorscooter
07-23-2010, 11:53 PM
lol. You youngsters are silly.

Bito Corleone
07-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Pop goes when Timmy goes.
http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/tim-duncan-greg-popovich-121409-lg-3088806.jpg

senorglory
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Kevin O'Keefe, is that you?

[google search]... lol, O'Keefe.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I see Pop going out with TD.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
anyone saying that pop should be fired or that pops not a huge part of our success is stupid as hell.

the only player that could possibly keep POP as our coach is Hill, but other than that he will most likley leave with Duncan.

rascal
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Pop is a bandwagoner. He rode Duncan to his success. Any coach in the league wins given Robinson and Duncan.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Pop is a bandwagoner. He rode Duncan to his success. Any coach in the league wins given Robinson and Duncan.

what's phil jackson? lol Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol. Every great coach had great players.

Fabbs
07-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Rose, Elson, Nazr, these guys haven't done for any other team what they did with the Spurs, maybe the credit goes to coaching.
Rose got sentenced to the Knicks.
Elson i think it's very fair to say he was never the same after the orbital bone injury.
Man From Nazr has had some excellent games with the Bobcats.

More to do with who they have played with since they got run off by Coatails.