PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Spurs' leading rebounder next season?

Supergirl
07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Again, factor in age, min per game, possible injuries, etc.

spursfaninla
07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
if blair gets 30mpg, it is his to lose.

Assuming he gets 25mpg, it will be close between him and duncan.

splitter a close 3rd.

4>0rings
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
lol@matt bonner option

Seventyniner
07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Do you mean rebounds per game, or total? For per game, Duncan easy. Total could be Blair if Duncan misses some games and/or Blair plays more total minutes than Duncan.

Supergirl
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
lol@matt bonner option

yeah, it seems unlikely, but he is the sixth most likely on the current Spurs roster...

although, Manu is a damn good rebounder and could outrebound him. Maybe I should have put Manu there instead.

I was torn between Splitter and Blair but I don't think Splitter will get enough minutes right away and ultimately I think Duncan will be focusing on being mostly a defensive anchor and rebounder in his twilight years. So I went with Duncan.

Nathan89
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Duncan is the answer to your question. Now I have a question for you what does 2+2=?

Nathan89
07-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I bet supergirl voted for tiago to give duncan some competition in this poll.

Muser
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Obviously timmy.

5in10
07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Db If he gets 30 minutes a night.

Erick_CSF
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Blair if he gets the minutes. If he doesn't, it will be Timmy

MarCowMar
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I think Splitter will be a Rasho style rebounder where he gets the ones he's supposed to get but not much more.

Given Blair's comment that he thinks he'll start I gotta go with him.

8FOR!3
07-22-2010, 04:08 PM
1. DeJuan Blair
2. Tim Duncan (close second)
3. Tiago Splitter (solid third)
4. Antonio McDyess
5. Richard Jefferson
6. Anybody not named Matt Bonner.

Brazil
07-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't buy the blair starting stuff

TD 21
07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
If you're going to list five, then Jefferson should be the fifth player in the poll; not Bonner.

The answer is Duncan. McDyess and Blair won't play enough minutes and Splitter isn't known as a great or even very good rebounder.

The real question is, will Duncan's double double streak be extended to 14 seasons? I'm leaning towards no. He barely averaged one last season and should bear less responsibility next season, mostly due to Splitter's arrival, but also from the team being a more cohesive unit from day one.

AFBlue
07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Richard Jefferson

Supergirl
07-22-2010, 06:48 PM
If you're going to list five, then Jefferson should be the fifth player in the poll; not Bonner.

The answer is Duncan. McDyess and Blair won't play enough minutes and Splitter isn't known as a great or even very good rebounder.

The real question is, will Duncan's double double streak be extended to 14 seasons? I'm leaning towards no. He barely averaged one last season and should bear less responsibility next season, mostly due to Splitter's arrival, but also from the team being a more cohesive unit from day one.

I think Duncan's scoring will go down, not his rebounding.

elemento
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
since the beast is not going to play enough minutes ..it's Duncan for sure

TD 21
07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
I think Duncan's scoring will go down, not his rebounding.

His rebounding should slightly decline. He averaged 10.1 last season, so all it will take is a slight dip for him not to average a double double.

I think his minutes will go from 31 to 30. Let's say the Spurs play less small ball and he plays slightly less with Bonner than he has the past two seasons. All of that should combine to put him under 10 rpg.

Nathan89
07-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Db If he gets 30 minutes a night.

No chance in hell he plays 30 minutes a night. Blair is not a better rebounder than timmy, so for blair to out rebound tim he would have to play more minutes.

androck
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
No chance in hell he plays 30 minutes a night. Blair is not a better rebounder than timmy, so for blair to out rebound tim he would have to play more minutes.

I think Dejuan will get more minutes than Tim this year. Tim will sit out every back-to-back and Dejuan will be playing 25-30 minutes per game. McDyess, Bonner, and Tim should all see their minutes go down to make room for Dejuan and Tiago. Dejuan should also get more rebounds since his numbers per 36 minutes were higher than Tim's last year and Dejuan's rebounds should go up while Tim's should go down (last year Dejuan averaged a full rebound more than Tim per 36 minutes). In case everyone has forgotten, Tim is 34 years old.

ElNono
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Bonner: 0 votes
Someone else: 1 vote

lol

Chomag
07-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I vote for RJ! Second year!!! Why question inevitability!

angelbelow
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I really wouldn't be surprised if Blair ended up leading the team in rebounds. The man is a beast. Given his work ethic, and the age of TD and Dice, its likely that he will receive consistent minutes in the range of 20-30 minutes. If that's the case, he could very well have the opportunity that he needs to display his rebounding talents.

I emphasize consistent because last year Blair had games where he would playe 20+ and games he would play ~ 10 mins.

silverblackfan
07-22-2010, 11:41 PM
You got to go with Tim and the guaranteed minutes on the floor. His hands and IQ are too good not to lead the team in boards.

analyzed
07-23-2010, 12:59 AM
I think a more intriguing question would be who will be our top scorer ?
Duncan, Manu or Parker.
This is huge , if Parker tops scoring how can we let him go

greyforest
07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
voted comedy option "matt bonner"

8FOR!3
07-23-2010, 01:20 AM
One more vote for Blair and he'll have 21 and Timmy will have 45 haha. Irony.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-23-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm thinking Grizzly, although Tim is the safe bet.

Grizz should play 30mpg this year and he is a freakin beast on those boards!

DrSteffo
07-23-2010, 02:53 AM
I think Dejuan will get more minutes than Tim this year. Tim will sit out every back-to-back and Dejuan will be playing 25-30 minutes per game. McDyess, Bonner, and Tim should all see their minutes go down to make room for Dejuan and Tiago. Dejuan should also get more rebounds since his numbers per 36 minutes were higher than Tim's last year and Dejuan's rebounds should go up while Tim's should go down (last year Dejuan averaged a full rebound more than Tim per 36 minutes). In case everyone has forgotten, Tim is 34 years old.

No because players also have to play D. Doesn't matter if Blair grabs 10-12 rebounds if the other teams big men drops 40 points over his head. Duncan and Splitter should get more minutes than Blair. Dejuan should be the best rebounder per minute next season however.

scottspurs
07-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Tim Duncan will still average a double double no doubt about it. Blair will have only slightly better numbers than last season. I don't see blair averaging more than 25 minutes tops.

Darkwaters
07-23-2010, 04:30 AM
Are we talking about RPG average or total rebounds? ie, do we need to factor in injury concerns and missed games?

Blair played every game last year and got a lot of opportunities. Meanwhile, Duncan sat out quite a few games due to sore knees or whatever. It makes a difference.

Supergirl
07-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Are we talking about RPG average or total rebounds? ie, do we need to factor in injury concerns and missed games?

Blair played every game last year and got a lot of opportunities. Meanwhile, Duncan sat out quite a few games due to sore knees or whatever. It makes a difference.

I did say at the beginning to factor in injuries, MPG, etc.

sa_butta
07-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Unless Duncan gets injured he should lead the team in rebounds.

Darkwaters
07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I did say at the beginning to factor in injuries, MPG, etc.

Ok....

You still failed to answer the question.

Total Rebounds?
RPG average?

Agloco
07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
if blair gets 30mpg, it is his to lose.

Assuming he gets 25mpg, it will be close between him and duncan.

splitter a close 3rd.

This. I picked Blair with the proviso that he will play 25-30 minutes CONSISTENTLY throughout this season. His rebounding rate is absolutely ridiculous and he's only going to improve this year.

Agloco
07-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Leading rebounder usually implies RPG. The quantity must be normalized in order to have a basis for comparison.

TJastal
07-23-2010, 09:54 AM
LOL @ Agloco and others thinking Blair is going to sniff more than 10 minutes a game consistently. :lol

The regular season big-man minutes will be divided something like this (playoffs will probably mean almost no minutes for beastie)

Duncan 26
Bonner 22
McDyess 18
Splitter 20
Blair 8
Jefferson 2
Finley 20... (In Pop's dreams)

SenorSpur
07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
If Blair was a 30+mpg player, he could probably rival Duncan's rebounding numbers.

bishopospurs
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
went with Timmy

Agloco
07-23-2010, 10:19 AM
This. I picked Blair with the proviso that he will play 25-30 minutes CONSISTENTLY throughout this season. His rebounding rate is absolutely ridiculous and he's only going to improve this year.

LOL @ Agloco thinking Blair is going to sniff more than 10 minutes a game consistently. :lol

Yeah, but you're still rubbing one out to my sig I'll bet. :lol

Oh, and you should have truncated your statement as I edited it. After all, it's hard getting owned so many times and you simply couldn't resist the urge to address two hatreds in one sentence.

Don't let your blind rage towards Pop and I stand in the way of clear logic though. :rolleyes

Supergirl
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I think Blair will start - whether at the beginning of the season or by midseason - but I think he will still only play 20-30 min per game and that Duncan will still edge him out in rebounding. I predict Duncan will average 10.2 rebounds and Blair will average 8-9 rebounds per game. Splitter will probably only average 10-15 min per game and average about 4-5 rebounds per game.

ohmwrecker
07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
LOL @ Agloco and others thinking Blair is going to sniff more than 10 minutes a game consistently. :lol

So, he is going to play less than he did last year?! You are an extremely silly person.

androck
07-23-2010, 06:18 PM

The regular season big-man minutes will be divided something like this (playoffs will probably mean almost no minutes for beastie)

Duncan 26
Bonner 22
McDyess 18
Splitter 20
Blair 8
Jefferson 2
Finley 20... (In Pop's dreams)

Blair played 18 mpg in his rookie season. That figure is definitely going up this coming season and Tim's is definitely going down. He will probably miss time due to injury and he will definitely sit out just to get more rest. For comparison's sake, George Hill went from 16.5 mpg to 29.2 between his first and second years. Granted, he got a lot of minutes because of injuries to Manu and Tony but Blair should still see a bump in his mpg to be around 25 this season. I expect Tim to play less than 25 mpg and I expect him to play less than 70 games.

androck
07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Tim Duncan will still average a double double no doubt about it. Blair will have only slightly better numbers than last season. I don't see blair averaging more than 25 minutes tops.

This is probably the year that Tim no longer averages a double double. At 34 years old, David Robinson also dropped below 10.0 rpg and never brought it back up for the rest of his career. The rebounding load shifted to Tim Duncan. Expect the same with Dejuan Blair and Tiago this season. Even legends get old at some point.