PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Microsoft Planned Xbox Live, PC Gaming Integration

phyzik
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Not Suprised... PC Rules. :lol

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/110/1107892p1.html

Microsoft planned a service to connect Xbox Live and Windows gamers in epic console versus PC deathmatches... that is until PC gamers swept the floor with 360 players in a test run of the project.

In a blog post, Voodoo PC founder and CTO of HP's gaming business Rahul Sood reveals Microsoft had grand ambitions to merge console and PC online gaming, but the project was ultimately killed due to the lopsided test run results.

http://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/article/110/1107892/360vspc_1279830545.jpeg

Sood writes: "I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their console controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse."

"The console players got destroyed every time," he continued. "So much so that it would be embarrassing to the Xbox team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative."

Sood goes on to state that he's disappointed the project was canceled as it might have pushed developers and gamers alike to pay more attention to PC gaming.

DarkReign
07-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Not very surprising.

At all.

Console-only players just have no idea how much better the competition is on a PC.

Trainwreck2100
07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
could work witth mmorpgs but that's it

MiamiHeat
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Not very surprising.

At all.

Console-only players just have no idea how much better the competition is on a PC.

It's not the players, it's the system.

Keyboard + Mouse is better than awkward joystick controller.

I am infinitely more precise with the Mouse than I am with the joystick.

then you add in customizable keyboard controls VS controller .....

and then other variables like player skins, custom user interfaces, hotkeys, scripts, etc...

Nathan Explosion
07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Umm, this was just released today? I've known about this since I got my computer, when Vista came out. I remember there being a release about Windows Live merging with Xbox Live.

Either that, or I just imagined it. If I imagined it, then I better start playing the lotto because I must have some sort of gift to see the future.

DarkReign
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
It's not the players, it's the system.

Keyboard + Mouse is better than awkward joystick controller.

I am infinitely more precise with the Mouse than I am with the joystick.

then you add in customizable keyboard controls VS controller .....

and then other variables like player skins, custom user interfaces, hotkeys, scripts, etc...

Exactly, youre right.

Re-reading my post, it came off wrong. The competition is better (and FAR quicker) because of the precision.

Should have said that in the first post. Whoops.

phyzik
07-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I didnt post this as a bashing thread against consoles. I actually have a 360 controller for my computer for certain games and own 2 360's and purchased a Wii just this passed Tuesday. I plan on getting a PS3 at some point as well.

I have no problems with Consoles. I just cant stand all of the Halo Fanbois that slobber all over Master Chiefs cock like that game was some kind of revolutionary game. It was for consoles I guess.... but just another clone when it comes to PC FPS.

also, I just think the PC is much more intuitive for certain types of games and, as the article states, its sad that the PC is ignored alot more in the past several years. It's understandable because of pirating but thats catching on with consoles as well using chip mods and such.

I really think that there will eventually be a resurgance with PC gaming once console chip hacks catch up with PC Pirating. Remember, PC's have almost a 30-40 year head start on gaming consoles when it comes to pirating. Remember, back in those days there was no crazy security features, it was quite easy to get free full games back in the early eighties for me.

TacoCabanaFajitas
07-23-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm guessing the games were RTS or FPS?
I thought this was figured out a long time ago but
Consoles are better for sports/fighting games
PCs for all else

phyzik
07-23-2010, 01:50 AM
I'm guessing the games were RTS or FPS?
I thought this was figured out a long time ago but
Consoles are better for sports/fighting games
PCs for all else

Consoles are good at sports/fighting games.... true...

But nothing a PC cant do with the right controller. Hence the 360 controller for Windows.

Again, Im not hating on consoles... I have 5 of them in my house. 2 360's, a brand new Wii, a PS2 and a Gamecube.

Nothing compares to a PC though. NOTHING!

Creepn
07-23-2010, 02:09 AM
uh...duh?

Sense
07-23-2010, 02:37 AM
I don't own a console

PC>all

symple19
07-23-2010, 06:24 AM
I don't own a console

PC>all

Exactly :wakeup :toast

cool cat
07-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Um, shadowrun did this 3 years ago and the developers said the console guys owned the pc guys and they had to keep tweaking it to make it fair for the pc.

j9iSzLaI9fw

Sense
07-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Um, shadowrun did this 3 years ago and the developers said the console guys owned the pc guys and they had to keep tweaking it to make it fair for the pc.

j9iSzLaI9fw

I just saw GameSpot's game review and he mentions this.

He also mentions that the game is pretty balanced for both, and that not one is better.

Because there's somewhat of a little help with some sort of "Auto aim" that you can use in the game.

This game looks weak too.

I would put all my money on a good PC player on a game like... Battlefield Bad Company 2 for example.

cool cat
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah shadowrun probably was a bad game but it's the only real world example of fps pc vs console we have. The developers said they had to tweak it to make it even for the pc players because they got owned.

Now there is obviously games that if you want to be the peak best at, then mouse and keyboard is a must.

RTS is a good example, the speed and accuracy of a mouse and keyboard can't be matched by a controller.

FPS that you have to pixel hunt would benefit from a mouse and keyboard.

mingus
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
fps are easier to play on pc. no surprises.