PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Gary Neal

spursdotcom
07-22-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_gary_neal_100722.html

:toast

SpursTillTheEnd
07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
props, but i gotta ask u sum are you the dude asking questions or are u just a poster with the spursdotcom name

spursdotcom
07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
real deal Holyfield.

:toast

Sense
07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
props, but i gotta ask u sum are you the dude asking questions or are u just a poster with the spursdotcom name

:rolleyes

ohmwrecker
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM

I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

spursdotcom
07-22-2010, 05:20 PM
:rollin

(building my post count one emoticon at a time :toast)

DesignatedT
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

:lol

TimmehC
07-22-2010, 05:45 PM

:lmao

Budkin
07-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I've heard good things about this guy in summer league play... is everyone happy with this signing?

SpursTillTheEnd
07-22-2010, 06:14 PM
that aint even funny homie omwrecker a ho

AFBlue
07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Love the signing, think hes better than mase was two years ago, he can get his own shot. I could see him working his way into the starting line up if we move TP. Still we now have 4-5 SG unless Anderson is playing the 3.

The Mase of two years ago would pimp-slap you. Dude was an absolute baller for the Spurs the season before last when Manu was toast.

And while Neal may have been able to get his own shot against generally less-athletic Euroleague competition, it remains to be seen if he can do so in the NBA.

I'm not saying he won't work out...I'm just cautioning people to temper their expectations of the guy.

tdunk21
07-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Obstructed_View
07-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I really feel sorry for people that think he's going to be better than Mason of two years ago. Hopefully he can play well enough to compete for a spot, and make some shots if he does, but there's a reason he's 26 and still hasn't played in the NBA.

Chomag
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
I really feel sorry for people that think he's going to be better than Mason of two years ago. Hopefully he can play well enough to compete for a spot, and make some shots if he does, but there's a reason he's 26 and still hasn't played in the NBA.

But, but he was awesome in Summer league! That accounts for something right?

Just ask George hi... oh wait..
Just ask Anthony Toli..crap... never mind.

Vic Petro
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Roger Mason was 27 before he got any minutes in the NBA.

Obstructed_View
07-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Roger Mason was 27 before he got any minutes in the NBA.

You should check your facts. Roger Mason was drafted at the beginning of the second round when he was 21, and he made the team and played 17 games his rookie season.

EricB
07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
But, but he was awesome in Summer league! That accounts for something right?

Just ask George hi... oh wait..
Just ask Anthony Toli..crap... never mind.

Ask udonis haslem there's your example.

Obstructed_View
07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
The FO does not agree with you, thats why they locked him up for 3 years you dont give a guy that kind of deal unless you know what you have. Some guys just develop late.
They had to give him a deal like that or else he was going to go back to Europe. The season starts there before training camp IIRC.

Warren moon played a long time before he got to the NFL and that worked out OK.
Warren moon didn't get drafted into the NFL because he was black and refused to change positions.

Neal is just gonna have to find mins behind manu, Anderson and Hill......I still think the Spurs are looking to deal tp, if so Neal will be in the rotation.
:lol There's just so much wrong with the above I have nothing to say to it.

edgar
07-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Ugh can't people just fucking do a search? :bang

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159443

Hahahaha

Vic Petro
07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
You should check your facts. Roger Mason was drafted at the beginning of the second round when he was 21, and he made the team and played 17 games his rookie season.

And averaged 6 minutes and 2 points. He topped out at 3.7 ppg until he was 27 years old.

Obstructed_View
07-22-2010, 07:16 PM
And averaged 6 minutes and 2 points. He topped out at 3.7 ppg until he was 27 years old.

6 minutes is any minutes. I hate to break it to you. Comparing that to a guy that didn't get drafted and hasn't played a second in the NBA thus far is pretty retarded.

20beastie45
07-22-2010, 07:25 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

20beastie45
07-22-2010, 07:30 PM
:rollin:rollin

20beastie45
07-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Be7Og9Gc_KY

Vic Petro
07-22-2010, 07:44 PM
6 minutes is any minutes. I hate to break it to you. Comparing that to a guy that didn't get drafted and hasn't played a second in the NBA thus far is pretty retarded.

So he just can't live up to Mason because he played 30 mpg in Italy instead of 10 mpg in the NBA. There's no hope for the guy. You're right.

Obstructed_View
07-22-2010, 08:46 PM
So he just can't live up to Mason because he played 30 mpg in Italy instead of 10 mpg in the NBA. There's no hope for the guy. You're right.

You were the one that felt the need to lie about Mason's history in order to make Neal look better. I simply said there's a reason that he's 27 and hasn't gotten a sniff from NBA teams up to now, and the only thing he's done on a basketball court to justify everyone's excitement is to light it up one game in D League. All of those things are actually true.

There are people talking about him being in the rotation and which players are going to be cut when all he's done is get a camp invite and some guaranteed money to keep him in town.

AFBlue
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Mase has one skill, spot up 3. He could not get to the rim, could not hit a 2pt shot, could not pass, could not handle the ball and played no D. I liked him off the bench but he lost it last year and while he did well as a shooter he killed us in many ways.

Neal, is younger, stronger, a better passer who can get off his own shot. Im not saying hes gonna be going to the rack dunking on guys but there is a big diff between a guy who is just a spot up shooter v a guy who can shoot deep and pump fake you get to the elbow and drain a 15 footer.

I see great upside in him, spurs saw it thats why they gave him 3 years so they could have his bird rights. Hes a baller, not likely to score as much as mase IMO because we have so many wings now.....But this guy can play and wouldnt shock me to see him starting if TP is gone.

Revisionist history.

Mason got his shot off in any number of ways a couple years ago (off-ball screens, pick-n-roll, off the dribble, and spot up). And he converted at a very decent clip. Unfortunately, he shrunk in playoff time two years ago and never recoverd the shooting stroke.

Oh, and he was also a decent distributor when he wasn't asked to play that role exclusively at PG.

Again, Neal is not an NBA-level athlete and he doesn't have NBA-level size for his position. There is no evidence that he will be able to create his own shot at this level.

I would love for him to get Mason's opportunity and make the most of it. But to assume that he's an upgrade because of his Euroleague time and five-game summer league showing, that's a stretch.

Darkwaters
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Treviso is just up the road from me. In fact, I always uses the Venezia-Treviso airport. I happened to see one match with Benneton Treviso and remember Neal.

The dude can ball. He definitely lacks some athleticism, but he can score with diversity.

angelbelow
07-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Revisionist history.

Mason got his shot off in any number of ways a couple years ago (off-ball screens, pick-n-roll, off the dribble, and spot up). And he converted at a very decent clip. Unfortunately, he shrunk in playoff time two years ago and never recoverd the shooting stroke.

Oh, and he was also a decent distributor when he wasn't asked to play that role exclusively at PG.

Again, Neal is not an NBA-level athlete and he doesn't have NBA-level size for his position. There is no evidence that he will be able to create his own shot at this level.

I would love for him to get Mason's opportunity and make the most of it. But to assume that he's an upgrade because of his Euroleague time and five-game summer league showing, that's a stretch.

I agree with all of your points. Hes going to have to strictly catch and shoot, spot up, come off screens. I dont see him being effective in anything else at this point. Luckily hes shown (thus far) that hes a excellent shooter.

playblair
07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Treviso is just up the road from me. In fact, I always uses the Venezia-Treviso airport. I happened to see one match with Benneton Treviso and remember Neal.

The dude can ball. He definitely lacks some athleticism, but he can score with diversity.

:toast good call......................

props gary neal ........................

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 06:35 PM
sucks that we gave mills a 2nd year option and guaranteed nando for 2 years... if either of those guys weren't around the spurs would have brought Neal back. i've always liked Neal

BackHome
07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Like his ability to get hot but hate his size and defense.....So at SG you have .........CoJo, Neal, Manu, Belini, Green, Nando..

Leetonidas
07-23-2013, 07:34 PM

therealtruth
07-23-2013, 07:38 PM
What's with the bump? I was scared for a second they might have resigned him.