PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes Signs with Lakers

nevetslc
07-22-2010, 08:31 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Matt Barnes has agreed in principle on a two-year, $3.6 million deal with the Lakers, league sources tell Y! He's expected to sign tonight.

Red Hawk #21
07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Damn this shit just isn't fair anymore fml

monosylab1k
07-22-2010, 08:35 PM
looks like i'm rooting for the Heat in the Finals now. The Lakers had my support until they decided to sign the biggest punk bitch faggot in the history of the sport.

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Just when I finally stopped wringin' my hands over Farmar & Brown.:rolleyes

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Calm down, Cully. Roll with ya boy on this one. Let's get it.:lmao

That seals it. When Luva opines, it's like money from home.

Good signage!

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
That seals it. When Luva opines, it's like money from home.

Good signage!

Cully seriously what was your problem with this signing?

I just want Brown done ...I know some feel is overkill but if Shannon stays I think we have better chance of unloading Sasha ...if a need arises.

I doubt we bring a guard in at the deadline but if we lose a front court player or can upgrade ...having Brown is nice insurance ...PLUS

We have little speed and athleticism that is the ONE AREA (and maybe wing passing) where Miami is wAYYYY better than us ...

Re-signing Brown doesnt change that ..but it helps ....

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Just when I finally stopped wringin' my hands over Farmar & Brown.:rolleyes

Why? not being smart, just curious.

Oh yeah Barnes and twitter is HARDLY reliable ...LOL

PGDynasty24
07-22-2010, 08:50 PM
What a steal at 1.8m. Strong Offseason by Mitch. Bench has upgraded massively

crc21209
Add Matt Barnes to the list of guys who wanted to fight Kobe first, and now are going to be sucking his dick...:lol. Like Artest...

Killakobe81
looks like i'm rooting for the Heat in the Finals now. The Lakers had my support until they decided to sign the biggest punk bitch faggot in the history of the sport.

If the Heat get there ... but if they do good. There will be plenty of people on that bandwagon ...I'm sure there is STILL room!

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Why? not being smart, just curious.

Oh yeah Barnes and twitter is HARDLY reliable ...LOL

Barnes is passionate, but, he does not persuade. A lot of activity, but, precious little quality production. He's not trustworthy.

Booharv
07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
QOuOdZiernA

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Barnes is passionate, but, he does not persuade. A lot of activity, but, precious little quality production. He's not trustworthy.

TBH I agree but he is backing up Artest ... and maybe Kobe depending on matchups ...

How many big shots will he have? And even though he is a bit overrated defensively ...the dropoff like we had last year with Luke was MUCH worse ..
Plus Barnes moves off the ball ...

monosylab1k
07-22-2010, 08:57 PM

In other words he's a fake-tough Artest wannabe who picks on people half his size and is a complete faggot.

He's KG without talent or credibility.

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Now let's unload those two solid rookies for some cash, Mitch.

Luva I know you the Lakers "kingpin" on this board but I think we should keep the kids ... I know they probably wont contribute for a few years ...

BUT you have to start developing young guys Kobe and artest arent spring chickens and Odom is on a relatively short deal ...

I guess if we re-sign Brown I'm cool with your plan but otherwise why not let these kids learn fom the championship vets?

Maybe even have them get some d-league time ...

monosylab1k
07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
QOuOdZiernA

tbh that's some Bloodsport gangsta shit to see Kobe not even bat an eye at Barnes as he pulled that bush league crap.

PGDynasty24
07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
In other words he's a fake-tough Artest wannabe who picks on people half his size and is a complete faggot.

He's KG without talent or credibility.

100% agree with this. But a very low risk player were giving him 1.8 million,if he causes shit Kobe will tell management to ship his ass out

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
This is true, but every single team he's played on has counted on him. We're not counting on him, so he's going to have to reel himself in just to get noticed. This off season has been kind to us, starting with the surprising rookies, to Blake and now Barnes.

Dude is not even a starter ...
Unless injury occurs he has EXACTLY what you want out of a bench player ...hustle, energy, toughness a liitle defense and a little offense if true real good pickup.

Chillen
07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
You can tell the Lakers organization really wants that 3peat, they have the experience and talent to do it but it won't be an easy road since they have played in the NBA finals 3 straight years now and sooner or later wear and tear will creep up on this Lakers team.

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Sans Ron takin' out that scalpel and doin' the wet work on first the Suns & then the Celtics.

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I woulda been happy to see LA beat Miami this year but now I could care less. The last thing I want is this "body marked up like the subway in harlem" fuck munch winning a ring.

monosylab1k
07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Sans Ron takin' out that scalpel and doin' the wet work on first the Suns & then the Celtics.

Well Ron is a legitimate tough guy in the league. Nobody fucks with Artest. Matt Barnes has tried everything in the book to look like a tough guy, but unfortunately he doesn't realize that tough is a state of mind. All the posturing in the world won't prove you're tough to anybody.

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
You can tell the Lakers organization really wants that 3peat, they have the experience and talent to do it but it won't be an easy road since they have played in the NBA finals 3 straight years now and sooner or later wear and tear will creep up on this Lakers team.

Chill, with the goods, frank style. Phil, this season will set aside the whip and follow Riley's sage admonition: "you don't defend it every night."

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Wow the hate flying Barnes way is REALLY surprising ...
Nowe be honest I'm a Bruin so of course I'm a bit biased here but i thought his fake tough guys stuff was funny ...ALMOST all these guys are bitch-made.

I was no star in HS all conference no college scholarship offers (track only) BUT all the real TOUGH guy gang affiliated true bad asses KEPT me out of trouble and when fights would break tell me to keep out cuz they wanted me to have a chance ...

KG, Barnes, Raja Bell Kobe ... I bet none of these guys been in any real fights by the time they play AAU ball ...

Artest is one of the FEW i buy as a REAL tough guy ..

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Well Ron is a legitimate tough guy in the league.

Please. The vast lion's share of posters on this Board had grievous doubts about Artest as late as the dawn of The Finals. Don't pretend otherwise, Mono.

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
He's been one of the top bench players on every team he's been on. He just has an attitude, then to make matters worse, his voice is sweeter than honey.

LMAO sweeter than Richard Jefferson's?

dirk4mvp
07-22-2010, 09:08 PM

not sure if serious.

picc84
07-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Goddamnit.

God fucking damnit.

Giuseppe
07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Nowe be honest I'm a Bruin so of course I'm a bit biased here but i thought his fake tough guys stuff was funny

The "fake tough guys stuff" is of no consequence in my appraisal of Barnes. He's just too leaky a vessel to put any kind of trust in. We've been down this path with everybody after the top six last season (save MBenga).

Booharv
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Artest did back away from Ben Wallace in that brawl at the Palace. Everyone forgets that. He wanted no part of Big Ben.

dirk4mvp
07-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Artest did back away from Ben Wallace in that brawl at the Palace. Everyone forgets that. He wanted no part of Big Ben.

That was pretty hilarious. He went from a swole country nigga like Ben to some scrawny thispego looking dude in the crowd.

cobbler
07-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Not a huge fan of Barnes even though he is a Bruin. But come on guys, he's replacing Morrison. Enough said.

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 09:13 PM
not sure if serious.

I see that Barnes is a prick, not saying he is not butut I always laugh when people hate on "scrubs" ...

Like Sasha why hate a player that BARELY matters in the big scheme of things in the NBA

I think it;s a good move but if he went to Miami or Boston would that have REALLY Swung the NBA title?

My point is why even post hate on a relative nobody? I get hating Kobe, Lebron Cp3 etc. I even get hating Bruce Bowen ...

But Matt FREAKING Barnes? Seriously?

Example: In 2000 -2003 I hated Bibby, Cwebb, Doug Christie AND Pippen, Damon S Sabonis and Schrempf ...you know players that MATTERED

midnightpulp
07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Good pickup for the Lakers. The combination of him and Artest at the 3 will definitely make it tough for opposing wings.

Hope his ass bombs, though.

midnightpulp
07-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I see that Barnes is a prick, not saying that but I always laugh when people hate on "scrubs" ...

Like Sasha why hate a player that BARELY matters in the big scheme of things in the NBA

I think it;s a good move but if he went to Miami or Boston would that have REALLY Swung the NBA title?

My point is why even post hate on a relative nobody? I get hating Kobe, Lebron Cp3 etc. I even get hating Bruce Bowen ...

But Matt FREAKING Barnes? Seriously?

I now hate him because he's a Laker.

daslicer
07-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Too me he is punk that he will always go after guys who are weaker then him but he won't pick a fight with a guy bigger then him like Ben or Rasheed which was evident in the brawl. I heard supposedly back when he was in Indiana he got punched out by Jermaine during a practice which occurred a week before the brawl that resulted in him not wanting to play for a few games. He's a fake guy not someone in the mold of Kwill,Oakley,Mahorn,Mason, etc. If Ron had to play the 90's knicks he would get his ass beat by Ewing,Oakley,Mase,Xmen.

IronMexican
07-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Kill me.

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Kill me.

You OK, Iron Mex?

JamStone
07-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Lakers to sign Ryan Hollins next.

sribb43
07-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Stupid ass Raptors not knowing there own salary situation....once again, Lakers benefit from incompetent GM's around the league

sribb43
07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Lakers to sign Ryan Hollins next.

:lol why is a guy who hasnt done shit in this league such a douche bag:lol

21_Blessings
Cubby wanted Raja but gets angry over Barnes? :lol

Iron on suicide watch? Get over that college fandom shit. Barnes about to do all of Kobe/Artest's dirty work for pennies on the dollar :bking

Ashy Larry
A lot of activity, but, precious little quality production

The perfect description of my ex-wife in bed. Bitch couldn't fuck worth shit.

Ashy Larry
07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
If Barnes deal goes down ......

PG - Fisher, Blake
SG - Bryant, Vujacic
SF - Artest, Barnes
PF - Gasol, Odom
C - Bynum, Ratliff

I'll take that

Ashy Larry
07-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah, but you knew that before you wife'd her.:lol If she's a good cook or makes good money you can excuse it, other than that you should have passed her on to the next fella.

she had lootage .... enuff said

cobbler
07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
You OK, Iron Mex?

Its a USC thing.

21_Blessings
If Barnes deal goes down ......

PG - Fisher, Blake
SG - Bryant, Vujacic
SF - Artest, Barnes
PF - Gasol, Odom
C - Bynum, Ratliff

I'll take that

Ebanks and Caracter are making the team.

JamStone
Matt Barnes seems like the type of guy who would be on a African America... errr black... errr mixed/bi-racial... errr mutt version of the Jersey Shore.

IronMexican
07-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Iron on suicide watch? Get over that college fandom shit. Barnes about to do all of Kobe/Artest's dirty work for pennies on the dollar :bking

It's not college fandom. I haven't seen him do much good besides try to start shit and brick shots.

Ashy Larry
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Ebanks and Caracter are making the team.

Yeah, gotta add youth at some point; oh .. and don't forget Phil's favorite Puke Dolphin

JamStone
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM
The only time Matt Barnes has ever been even a little bit justifiably likable or remotely redeemable is when he goes punk bitch swole on the court on a player who is even more annoying than him. Paul Pierce, for example. Otherwise, Matt Barnes is like seeing a male ballet dancer. You're just hoping someone on the stage/court kicks him in the codpiece.

namlook
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
The main thing is Barnes can defend. Just two years ago the Lakers were labeled as soft and now they've done a 180 and have a group of hard nosed players who will get in your grill.

Blake replaces Farmar
Barnes replaces Morrison
Ratliff replaces Powell

I never liked Barnes but good moves for the Lakers.

Ashy Larry
07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Lakers will have a nice little squad going into the pre-season ....... Ratliff is actually going to be key I think ... if he can give the Lakers maybe ten good minutes every now and then, it will really save mileage on our three bigs ......

21_Blessings
07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
You don't have to like him. But dude is going to rebound and annoy the ever living fuck out of guys like Kevin Durant nightly. :lmao

Ashy Larry
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
You don't have to like him. But dude is going to rebound and annoy the ever living fuck out of guys like Kevin Durant nightly. :lmao

dude knows this can maybe lead to a bigger contract down the road because Sasha is coming off the books next year and if Barnes plays well, he can gank the Lakers for some mid-level lootage .......

is that second year a player option, team option or neither ???

21_Blessings
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Dunno but that's couch pillow change to Dr. Buss. Barnes is a mercenary and the Lakers will throw his ass out the minute he starts to act all uppity about money.

JamStone
07-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Lakers will have a nice little squad going into the pre-season ....... Ratliff is actually going to be key I think ... if he can give the Lakers maybe ten good minutes every now and then, it will really save mileage on our three bigs ......

That's not where Ratliff's value is. Ratliff's value is whether his legs are young enough to actually play 25+ mpg for stretches of games when Andrew Bynum gets injured, or perhaps even more importantly will he have young enough legs to do that in the playoffs when Bynum is out for the season.

That's his value. Not 10 minutes of spot PT here and there every now and then. Mbenga was good for that. Ratliff's importance is whether he is legitimate insurance in case Bynum breaks his branches again.

Ashy Larry
07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
maybe they signed him because they're trying to catch Denver in tattoos per capita .....

picc84
07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
The main thing is Barnes can defend. Just two years ago the Lakers were labeled as soft and now they've done a 180 and have a group of hard nosed players who will get in your grill.

Blake replaces Farmar
Barnes replaces Morrison
Ratliff replaces Powell

I never liked Barnes but good moves for the Lakers.

Barnes can't defend for shit.

And he's even worse on offense.

Aye.

Ashy Larry
That's not where Ratliff's value is. Ratliff's value is whether his legs are young enough to actually play 25+ mpg for stretches of games when Andrew Bynum gets injured, or perhaps even more importantly will he have young enough legs to do that in the playoffs when Bynum is out for the season.

That's his value. Not 10 minutes of spot PT here and there every now and then. Mbenga was good for that. Ratliff's importance is whether he is legitimate insurance in case Bynum breaks his branches again.

and those limbs are pretty fragile ...... anything from Ratliff at this point is sprinkles on that cupcake.

21_Blessings

Not really. Ratliff is just filling out the roster. In the event what you said happens Pau would start at center and Caracter would get minutes at the 4/5 most likely.

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Not really. Ratliff is just filling out the roster. In the event what you said happens Pau would start at center and Caracter would get minutes at the 4/5 most likely.

You really think Phil is going to go with an unproven rookie over Ratliff if they need playoff minutes?..

I would be very surprised..

21_Blessings
07-22-2010, 10:01 PM
You really think Phil is going to go with an unproven rookie over Ratliff if they need playoff minutes?..

I would be very surprised..

Well it depends on his attitude. Caracter's game is tailored made for the triangle and Phil loves him some triangle skills...

milkshakeballa
07-22-2010, 10:01 PM

21_blessing bringing the goods...per the usual

Barnes will be ball faking it into Brons grill next season

And you wanna know wat the difference is?

bron WILL flinch BITCH

milkshakeballa
07-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Aye.

better defender than luke.

even better on offense than luke.

for dirt cheap.

bandwagon_fan
07-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I feel bad for the rest of the West. You will get shitted on by this powerhouse team.

21_Blessings
07-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Aye.

Kobe top 20 :lol :lol

Barnes is a better defender than Luke Walton, Shannon Brown or fucking Sasha. Rebounding is just as important and Barnes isn't afraid to bang to down low.

Venti Quattro
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
@Matt_Barnes22 (http://twitter.com/Matt_Barnes22/status/19304118059) Its official I AM A LOS ANGLES LAKER. I wanna thank u for all ur patients and understanding. This is a dream come true!!! Good lookn KobeLMAO patients

LMAO spelling

ROFL UCLA

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

mavsfan1000
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Damn you Matt Barnes. Fuck all you bandwagon fans/players.

namlook
07-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Aye.

Heh. I guess that explains why the Lakers signed him.

He's a better defender than you think.

Venti Quattro
07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
lol Suddenly he's a better defender now that he's on the lakers.

We'll have to see how he pans out. I won't jump on the Barneswagon yet

picc84
07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
better defender than luke.

even better on offense than luke.

for dirt cheap.

No to both.

Pierce took Barnes lunch this year. Walton at least held his own. And don't forget Walton shutting down Melo 2 years ago. :lol

Barnes and offense don't belong in the same sentence.

5.7/3.8, 7.4/5.6 :lol

da_suns_fan
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Trust me Laker fans, youre sooooooooooooo going to hate this signing.

Not only is he a hot head, he makes terrible decisions with the ball. You can have him. Barnes makes his teams worse.

pgardn
07-22-2010, 10:22 PM
What is it, 8 teams in 8 years?

Good luck with another malcontent.

Venti Quattro
07-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Trust me Laker fans, youre sooooooooooooo going to hate this signing.

Not only is he a hot head, he makes terrible decisions with the ball. You can have him. Barnes makes his teams worse.

Many Rockets fans and the NBA community, in general, also said this with Artest from last year. Total headcase, ball-hog, ticking timebomb and other shit. Where did he end up? Saving the Lakers in an ugly game 7 date against the Celtics. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

IronMexican
07-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Reading that tweet sounded like he was about to ballwash the entire Lakers FO.

HarlemHeat37
Picc, you're really exaggerating about Barnes here..why do you think his defense is as bad as you say it is?..

Banzai
Signing is good I suppose...will have to wait and see how this turns out next season.

Venti Quattro
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Reading that tweet sounded like he was about to ballwash the entire Lakers FO.

PATIENTS

lol

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
:lmao

You sound like a Rocket fan. We'll miss Luke.:lmao

It's completely different. Rocketfan wanted Artest back and they were butthurt he went to LA. Sunfan remembers all the Matt Barnes shit we suffered through during the 2009 abortion and we wanted nothing to do with him once the season was over.

picc84
07-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Picc, you're really exaggerating about Barnes here..why do you think his defense is as bad as you say it is?..

Why do you think its as good as you say it is?

You do realize the only reason he gets the defender label is because he's so god awful at everything else, right?

Was I the only one who saw Pierce destroying him?

milkshakeballa

Harlem..

I have been out a while. Been really busy with the fam bam and kids. How have you been? Have you been posting much? I was out of town for the Bron fiasco. What drama though huh?

Anyways. Hope all is well with ya.

milky

pgardn
Many Rockets fans and the NBA community, in general, also said this with Artest from last year. Total headcase, ball-hog, ticking timebomb and other shit. Where did he end up? Saving the Lakers in an ugly game 7 date against the Celtics. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Saving the Lakers. If fckn Artest could hit a 3 it would have been a 4-1 series. Way too much credit given to the stair-rolling drunk.

"Kobe passed me the ball, he passed me the ball". Artest is amazing. "I'd like to thank all of those that helped with my frontal lobobomty."

milkshakeballa
07-22-2010, 10:27 PM
LOL for 2 years 3.6 million its a god damn steal. No matter what way you guys want to paint the picture.

It is a fucking steal.

picc84
07-22-2010, 10:27 PM
It's completely different. Rocketfan wanted Artest back and they were butthurt he went to LA. Sunfan remembers all the Matt Barnes shit we suffered through during the 2009 abortion and we wanted nothing to do with him once the season was over.

I vividly remember him blowing a few games for the Suns when he was there. A particularly BUMBLING play versus Utah stands out.

His bball IQ is fucking negative 30. I was actually PRAYING he'd go to the Heat and destroy them from within.

Venti Quattro
07-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Saving the Lakers. If fckn Artest could hit a 3 it would have been a 4-1 series. Way too much credit given to the stair-rolling drunk.

He hit a three. In Pee Pee's face. When it mattered.

Goran Dragic

Because it is, Matt Barnes plays foul the shit out of you defense. He compounds his defensive issues by forcing up dumb shots on offense because he's frustrated about just getting beat on D.

pgardn
Blake has been on like 7 teams in 8 years. Oh well.

Yeah Blake and Barnes have exactly the same type of game and personality on the court. Fail.

21_Blessings
So you'd rather have Luke Walton out there picc? BBALL IQ

Barnes is the kind of guy you hate until he's on your team. He'll play minimal minutes backing up Artest. Will get you key rebounds and elbow bitchmade's like Melo in the throat without even asking him.

pgardn
07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
He hit a three. In Pee Pee's face. When it mattered.

It shouldnt have mattered.

Has he beaten his wife in the past week?

Leonard Curse
07-22-2010, 10:31 PM
usually karma shows up every once in a while and restores balance 2 the world in a way, however this breaking news!!! it seems even "karma" is scared of facing the lakers and has now joined the team with kobe!!!!!!!!! no wonder the spurs are constantly getting rimed out while being good role models, and treating players like human beings !!! WHHHAAAAAA !!
:madrun
thanks basketball gods
:violin some one feel sorry for us hahahaha jk i feel sorry for teams that cant treat their fans to better managment/players no one deserves that

da_suns_fan
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
:lmao

You sound like a Rocket fan. We'll miss Luke.:lmao

Who gives a shit about Luke. I realized about five games into his Suns season that Barnes was TERRIBLE with the ball in his hands. You just pray he will either shoot or pass the ball as soon as he touches it. Hopefully to a wide open man because he cant pass for shit.

Another Laker fan made an analogy to Artest. As if Barnes has any of the talent Artest has.

Im telling you. This guy fucking blows. You can have him. Hes one of the last players I would ever want on my team again.

21_Blessings
07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Im telling you. This guy fucking blows. You can have him. Hes one of the last players I would ever want on my team again.

Funny how a Suns fan doesn't value toughness, defense and rebounding. Warrick/Hedo PF rotation :rollin :lmao :lol

pgardn
07-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Look lil nigga, polish number 17 for us already.

Oh so we got a guy calling people nigga from Minnesota.

17 what? Another fail.

Goran Dragic
And yeah he is one of the worst passers in the NBA. Watching him make a simply entry pass was like watching a lobotomized monkey try to eat a banana.

JamStone
PATIENTS

lol

In his defense (not really but you know), at least he misspelled it with another real word, instead of spelling it like "payshenz." Suggests it's not really a spelling problem, but perhaps more of a poor knowledge of vocabulary and word definitions.

HarlemHeat37
Barnes had one of the best ratings in the NBA at defending through screens, he was elite at it this season..he had an average rating at defending 1 on 1 iso plays, and he was average at everything else..

I don't see how that could possibly equal being a bad defender..he's a slightly above average/above average defender from a team perspective..

I do agree about his offense though, it probably won't fit with LA..most of his offense comes from cutting and transition, along with inconsistent 3-point shooting that can't be relied upon..

He's a horrible player with the ball in his hands..

da_suns_fan
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I thought "Theres got to be a stat to show what a terrible decision maker this dude is".

I looked up his turnovers last year but they were only 1.3. But then I realized that was only in 24 minutes. So I looked up the Hollinger "Turnover Rate".

Barnes was fourth WORST in the league:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=sf&sort=turnoverRatio&order=true&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposition%3dsf%26sort%3 dturnoverRatio%26order%3dtrue

EDIT: Fourth worst in the league at his position.

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Funny how a Suns fan doesn't value toughness, defense and rebounding. Warrick/Hedo PF rotation :rollin :lmao :lol

Rebounding I'll give you, but all he provided in Phoenix was fake toughness and shitty defense. He was a terrible defender in Phoenix. He was always out of position, would bite on every single pump fake, and got destroyed by anyone with a size advantage.

pgardn
07-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Barnes had one of the best ratings in the NBA at defending through screens, he was elite at it this season..he had an average rating at defending 1 on 1 iso plays, and he was average at everything else..

I don't see how that could possibly equal being a bad defender..he's a slightly above average/above average defender from a team perspective..

I do agree about his offense though, it probably won't fit with LA..most of his offense comes from cutting and transition, along with inconsistent 3-point shooting that can't be relied upon..

He is not a bad defender. He just cant handle playing tough D and getting bad calls. His head explodes. Exactly the opposite of Bowen.

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
He is not a bad defender. He just cant handle playing tough D and getting bad calls. His head explodes. Exactly the opposite of Bowen.

No disagreements about his personality..he's a low IQ player and he's over-emotional..

da_suns_fan
Let's see. e played 77 games for you guys, 27 minutes, 10ppg, and 6 boards. I'll take that all day.

:lol

Im telling you. You can HAVE HIM!

We'll see what Laker fans are saying in February. Let the record show I said this guy absolutely sucks and this is the worst signing any team could have made.

BUMP
Phil Jackson is kinda like koriwhat in the fact that he will "regulate the bitchassness" that Barnes brings to the table.

I don't see how this hurts LA at all. If anything it's an upgrade over Luke Walton :lol

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Now tell me how this is going to be bad for our bench?

If he's playing a VERY small (I mean 10 minutes per game or less small) role then I guess he's a slight upgrade over Luke Walton but IMO Devin Ebanks is a better option. Just as good of a rebounder, longer, more athletic, much higher bball IQ, and higher ceiling.

da_suns_fan
07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Rebounding I'll give you, but all he provided in Phoenix was fake toughness and shitty defense. He was a terrible defender in Phoenix. He was always out of position, would bite on every single pump fake, and got destroyed by anyone with a size advantage.

I never saw ANY defensive talent in Barnes. I would never describe him as a good defender.

Now, Jared Dudley, on the other hand, is a fucking awesome defender. Great instincts and fast hands (see my sig). One of the best defenders the Suns have ever had.

Barnes? Dont remember the defense. Just remember the turnovers:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=sf&sort=turnoverRatio&order=true&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposition%3dsf%26sort%3 dturnoverRatio%26order%3dtrue

JamStone
07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
:lol

Im telling you. You can HAVE HIM!

We'll see what Laker fans are saying in February. Let the record show I said this guy absolutely sucks and this is the worst signing any team could have made.

No, Toronto would have been worse because they were going to pay him something like $9-10 million for three years. $3.8 million or whatever it is for an NBA contract is not so bad because it's disposable. If he doesn't work out, trade him or dump him. Can't get rid of him, just tell him to leave and don't come back and eat the contract.

For the money alone, you can't call it the "worst" signing. The contract is easily disposable for an NBA team.

21_Blessings
07-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Defense is a team effort. You can't expect him to perform well on the Suns when he's flanked by one of the worst anchors in Amare and next to the absolute worst PG defender in the NBA with Nash.

Look what he did for Orlando. Fantastic team defense and he stole Petriues' minutes despite being paid 3 million less.

namlook
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
LOL @ Artest's tweet:

Matt has the heart off a lion on steroids wit extra chest hairs and three testicles screaming " Adrian "!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/RONARTESTCOM

pgardn
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Phil Jackson is kinda like koriwhat in the fact that he will "regulate the bitchassness" that Barnes brings to the table.

I don't see how this hurts LA at all. If anything it's an upgrade over Luke Walton :lol

Nothing could really hurt them with their bench. You made a good point but Phil is getting old, how many idiots can one guy handle? I see Barnes and Artest rolling down stairs together. Let em lose in LA...

Was Kobe ambASSador for the negotiations with Barnes like he was with Raja? One has to wonder.

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Defense is a team effort. You can't expect him to perform well on the Suns when he's flanked by one of the worst anchors in Amare and next to the absolute worst PG defender in the NBA with Nash.
Amare and Nash have nothing to do with being pump faked to death the way he was. Jared Dudley has had no problems playing great defense with those two around. Maybe he had a decent regular season in Orlando but he imploded in the playoffs against Boston. I'm not just blindly saying this to hate on LA, I watched this guy for a year and any time something went wrong he compounded the problem by doing something stupid.

milkshakeballa
07-22-2010, 10:54 PM
If he's playing a VERY small (I mean 10 minutes per game or less small) role then I guess he's a slight upgrade over Luke Walton but IMO Devin Ebanks is a better option. Just as good of a rebounder, longer, more athletic, much higher bball IQ, and higher ceiling.

DOK is Spurstalk version of Tmac.

Stick a fork in his fucking ass....he can't post anymore

JamStone
07-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Nothing could really hurt them with their bench. You made a good point but Phil is getting old, how many idiots can one guy handle? I see Barnes and Artest rolling down stairs together. Let em lose in LA...

Was Kobe ambASSador for the negotiations with Barnes like he was with Raja? One has to wonder.

I see Matt Barnes as being a lot more mellow with the Lakers. He'll be back on the West Coast where he's always wanted to be. But more importantly, he'll get to hang out with Baron Davis on the weekends and all the cocaine binges will make his body too cracked up for him to roid out on the court. It will skew his punk bitchassness to a more tolerable hyper stick chasing doggy mode.

Leonard Curse
07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
You queers just signed a rapist. Yup, I was upstairs snoopin.
wow thanks for ruining our season, ok im done with my spurs goodbye (suicide) letter now its time to off my....:shootme***poW!!! wait oh shit i think you just woke the spurs zombie:pop::wow:wow:wow:wow:wow you know im bored right ???hahaahaha
no but really i didnt expect such a good reply for karma i guess we increased our chances by signing an accused rapist who shoots really well. talk about jocking the lakers esp with bonner as our odom baaaahahahaha ok to be serious im going to love watching the spurs/lakers matchup

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Sup UCLA fan. I'm sure you're not bias here :lol

milkshakeballa
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Amare and Nash have nothing to do with being pump faked to death the way he was. Jared Dudley has had no problems playing great defense with those two around. Maybe he had a decent regular season in Orlando but he imploded in the playoffs against Boston. I'm not just blindly saying this to hate on LA, I watched this guy for a year and any time something went wrong he compounded the problem by doing something stupid.

1.7 million.

Shut the fuck up.

Harlem continues to shit on your shitty post.

Quit while your behind.

BUMP
07-22-2010, 10:57 PM

lol

http://www.zerogravityclub.com/photos/webgallery/2008/ZGNWEB081231/images/100_0180.JPG

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
1.7 million.

Shut the fuck up.

Harlem continues to shit on your shitty post.

Quit while your behind.

It doesn't matter what you're paying him if he's losing games for you. The Suns paid him $926,678 in his one season here. The fact they were paying him so little doesn't change the fact he lost games for us. God damn you get defensive when someone talks shit about a UCLA player.

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
lol

http://www.zerogravityclub.com/photos/webgallery/2008/ZGNWEB081231/images/100_0180.JPG

:lol who the fuck is that

picc84
07-22-2010, 10:59 PM

He's an upgrade over Luke Walton on crutches and in a back brace.

Anywhere near healthy, Walton is a better basketball player in every aspect of the game. Especially passing and IQ wise. Luke even did better on Pierce than Barnes did.

And we're talking about LUKE fucking WALTON here. Thats how bad Barnes is. I signed into realGM everyday praying there was a wiretap about him joining the cHeat.

BUMP
07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
:lol who the fuck is that

milkshakeballa

picc84
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Sadly, this is the only thing people remember when they think about Matt Barnes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5_Be_uQtNzk/RjtQKVhXb2I/AAAAAAAAAEs/uCrcJfio-E0/s320/sp_warriors_kr_023.jpg

As if we need his ass to bury the Mavs.

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Sadly, this is the only thing people remember when they think about Matt Barnes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5_Be_uQtNzk/RjtQKVhXb2I/AAAAAAAAAEs/uCrcJfio-E0/s320/sp_warriors_kr_023.jpg

True. It's like the Suns homers right now circle jerking to Turkoglu wetting up the Cavs in 2009 but ignoring the abortion he was in Toronto last year.

milkshakeballa
07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
It doesn't matter what you're paying him if he's losing games for you. The Suns paid him $926,678 in his one season here. The fact they were paying him so little doesn't change the fact he lost games for us. God damn you get defensive when someone talks shit about a UCLA player.

Fuck that Jew fuck Farmar.

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Fuck that Jew fuck Farmar.

:lol if you think Farmar was frustrating you're in for a real treat with Barnes

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2010, 11:03 PM
All Laker signings this off-season have been with a defensive focus. given what they've done in Miami the Lakers played all the right cards...Artest and Barnes on the wings will allow Kobe to be 1988 - MJ all over again. Ratliff teaching Bynum to hold down the paint will allow Pau to flourish offensively...Phil will have a nice compliment of vets to complete the 4th 3 peat...Glorious exit with 12 titles indeed...

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
lol

btw nice highlights brah

InRareForm
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
the fuck barnes getting 6 pages worth on a thread for?

21_Blessings

Jared Dudley posted about the same defensive rating as Barnes did when he was on the Suns and was a significantly worse rebounder. The Phoenix system has no idea how to utilize a player like Barnes when all they give a shit about is their precious offense.

Watch how a real championship team and coach utilizes a merc like Barnes. The ball being in his hands won't be a problem either. The Lakers have plenty of facilitators.

BUMP
All Laker signings this off-season have been with a defensive focus. given what they've done in Miami the Lakers played all the right cards...Artest and Barnes on the wings will allow Kobe to be 1988 - MJ all over again. Ratliff teaching Bynum to hold down the paint will allow Pau to flourish offensively...Phil will have a nice compliment of vets to complete the 4th 3 peat...Glorious exit with 12 titles indeed...

Lakers need more nubian queens courtside, tbh

Goran Dragic
07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Jared Dudley posted about the same defensive rating as Barnes did when he was on the Suns and was a significantly worse rebounder. The Phoenix system has no idea how to utilize a player like Barnes when all they give a shit about is their precious offense.

Watch how a real championship team and coach utilizes a merc like Barnes. The ball being in his hands won't be a problem either. The Lakers have plenty of facilitators.

:lol defensive rating. Amare had the same defensive rating as Bruce Bowen in 2007, does that mean he was just as good a defender? Individual defensive rating is a bullshit stat.

You sound like Mavfan a year ago saying "But the ball won't be in Marion's hands" it doesn't matter who's supposed to have the ball in their hands, Matt Barnes is a moron and will try to do stuff with the ball in his hands regardless of whether or not it's what he's supposed to do.

Booharv
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
I thought "Theres got to be a stat to show what a terrible decision maker this dude is".
I looked up his turnovers last year but they were only 1.3. But then I realized that was only in 24 minutes. So I looked up the Hollinger "Turnover Rate".

Barnes was fourth WORST in the league:

<a href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=sf&amp;sort=turnoverRatio&amp;order=tr ue&amp;action=upsell&amp;appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider. espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposit ion%3dsf%26sort%3dturnoverRatio%26order%3dtrue" target="_blank">http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=sf&amp;sort=turnoverRatio&amp;order=tr ue&amp;action=upsell&amp;appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider. espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposit ion%3dsf%26sort%3dturnoverRatio%26order%3dtrue</a>
EDIT: Fourth worst in the league at his position.

Turnover ratio as an advanced statistic has nothing to do with Hollinger. It's been around since the late 70s.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html

cobbler
07-22-2010, 11:15 PM
you guys all act like he's going to be playing big mins. He's replacing morrison/brown/luke. Yeah... he might screw up the lead once in awhile. He's bench fodder that will at least hustle and annoy the opponent when he gets his precious few on the court.

One of the Lakers biggest issues was the 2nd unit giving up leads. The off season moves shored up the 2nd unit from a defensive standpoint. Mitch did well for the little wiggle room we had. :toast

Booharv
07-22-2010, 11:16 PM
:lol defensive rating. Amare had the same defensive rating as Bruce Bowen in 2007, does that mean he was just as good a defender? Individual defensive rating is a bullshit stat.

You sound like Mavfan a year ago saying "But the ball won't be in Marion's hands" it doesn't matter who's supposed to have the ball in their hands, Matt Barnes is a moron and will try to do stuff with the ball in his hands regardless of whether or not it's what he's supposed to do.

Defensive rating is not a bad stat. Its a statistic that can be useful when evaluating players. People fall into problems whenever they rely on one stat to prove a point. Like saying player x is better than player y because he scores more points.

07-22-2010, 11:20 PM
they should just cancel the regular season and playoffs and go straight to a 13 game finals match up of lakers and heat. why waste everyone's time?

namlook
07-22-2010, 11:20 PM
I can't believe Barnes started 58 games for Orlando.

Barnes talks about the process of how he ended up with the Lakers:

http://www.am570radio.com/mediaplayer/?station=KLAC-AM&action=ondemand&item=19701122&feed_name=TonyBruno.xml

Barnes says it's always been his dream to play with the Lakers.

Kobe texted him if he was crazy enough to mess with Kobe he was crazy enough to play with him.

Barnes was nervous when he called "Godfather" Riley and turned him down.

SomeCallMeTim
07-23-2010, 12:04 AM

You're wrong. He's actually an undervalued guy and he does a lot of things well. Very valuable as a role player and in a backup role should be extremely helpful.

This is a great pickup for the Lakers. I was just talking with a friend today about how the glaring missing piece for LA was a reliable wing player -- had no clue Barnes was still available. I am ecstatic that they're able to get him.

SomeCallMeTim
07-23-2010, 12:05 AM
QOuOdZiernA

Just noticed for the first time on this vid that the angle might be deceptive. Rather than faking a pass to Kobe's face, it looks like Barnes was perhaps faking a pass over his left shoulder.

I could be wrong. I remember that game and at the time thought it was aimed at his face but now it doesn't strike me like that.

SomeCallMeTim
07-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I woulda been happy to see LA beat Miami this year but now I could care less.

Wait, you could care less?

How much less?

21_Blessings
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM

Which is why I compared the rating when they were in similar team situations. :blah Acting like Jared Dudley is some impressive defender when he's not anymore effective than Barnes and a much worse rebounder. Acting like rebounding isn't a part defense is equally retarded.

Considering how you defended Amare's shitastic defense for years and even this very post-season :lmao

So does Ron Artest.

Barnes isn't going to be playing heavy minutes and won't be put into a position where he is forced to make decisions with the ball very often. That's the beauty of this signing when you compare it to like say the Spurs giving Dick 40 million or the Suns giving Hakim Warrick (speaking of being a moron with the ball) 16. :rollin

Jloyola
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Just noticed for the first time on this vid that the angle might be deceptive. Rather than faking a pass to Kobe's face, it looks like Barnes was perhaps faking a pass over his left shoulder.

I could be wrong. I remember that game and at the time thought it was aimed at his face but now it doesn't strike me like that.

There is also that ineffable something known as will. Earlier this season Orlando's feisty Matt Barnes was standing close to Bryant when he feigned throwing a ball at Bryant's face. Bryant never even flinched. "That scared me a little," Barnes said later. "I mean, that wasn't even human.":ihit

Booharv
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM

:lmao Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he's a Laker now would it?

SomeCallMeTim
07-23-2010, 12:25 AM
:lmao Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he's a Laker now would it?

Not really. I think the fake pass to the face makes for a better story.

Jloyola pointed out that apparently it was aimed at his face by Barnes' own admission. So I was wrong anyway.

Yay!

Killakobe81
07-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I am a BRUIN and I am no huge fan of Barnes or his game ...

But Luke may have to retire and I dont think Phil or Kobe were ready to rely on Ebanks ...

I hope this does not cost us Brown but neither Barnes or Brown will be the deciding factor for #17 ...

For the money and for the defense I say good pickup.

Yes he got torched in the ECF but he was battling a back injury ...

usdane
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I hate the guy. But for 1.9 per he is a bargain. Play some D, hit a few 3's and collect your ring.

Donkeybong
07-23-2010, 01:46 AM
this is a bad signing. McGrady would have been a better signing.

4>0rings
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
NBA = Lakers or Heat

I hope they lose so much money next year.

4>0rings
07-23-2010, 02:14 AM
I hate the guy. But for 1.9 per he is a bargain. Play some D, hit a few 3's and collect your Kobe running your ass under a bus for ruining his ringSay whaaat?

hsxvvd
07-23-2010, 03:15 AM
QOuOdZiernA

First time I've seen this, don't like Kobe, but his reaction/or lack of it is possibly the most impressive thing I've seen him not do.

TheMACHINE
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM

yah i wanted to sign a player who will be injured half the year with a bad back.

Double-Up
07-23-2010, 01:41 PM

No he wouldn't have been. :lol

j.dizzle
07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Got damnnn I love the Lakers mentality, they always lookin to make moves even after winning back to back..Props to Mitch Kupchak & Dr. Buss for always keeping the fans happy. LO, Blake, Barnes, Ratliff off the bench, we stackkkkkkkked hahahahaha. Kobe, Fisher, Artest, Barnes, & Blake, LA gonna lead the league in elbows thrown lmao

Giuseppe
07-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I'd rather have McGrady & MBenga instead of Barnes & Ratliff, but, it's over & done with now.

da_suns_fan
07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd rather have McGrady & MBenga instead of Barnes & Ratliff, but, it's over & done with now.

Id rather have almost anyone than Barnes.

I read a Laker fan say Barnes will play some D, rebound and hit some threes.

He forgot:

1. Make terrible passes
2. Stagnate the offense
3. Take terrible shots
4. Start fights with opposing players
5. Ignite opposing crowds and get the home team all fired up.

The only solace I can find is that Phil Jackson is smart enough not to play him much. I hate Barnes on my team at any price.

nevetslc
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Looks like Luke Walton may miss next season.

From Kevin Ding - OC Register (http://twitter.com/KevinDing):

Mitch Kupchak was "optimistic" about Shannon Brown returning to the Lakers, and called [the signing of] Matt Barnes "insurance" because Luke Walton (back - nerve damage) might well miss next season.

Looks like Shannon Brown may be coming back also.

Kupchak added that the Lakers are still talking to Shannon Brown, and he's "optimistic" about re-signing Brown.
If the Lakers sign Brown and both 2nd rounders, Kupchak said he's comfortable with carrying 14 on the roster (13 last year).Mike Trudell: http://twitter.com/LakersReporter

Kupchak has began contract negotiations with second-round draft picks Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter, who played well in summer league.http://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan

cobbler
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
You just gotta love Jerry Buss. Best owner in sports!

21_Blessings
07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
No he wouldn't have been. :lol

Seriously. T-Quit would have sat his ass on the Laker bench all game pouting like he was second coming of Mitch Richmond.

Then when actually got some burn he would chuck some horrible 28footers and play zero defense. The Lakers sure missed out on that one.

Medvedenko
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
I have mixed emotions. I see MB as a douche, however he's still young and is athletic in regards to his D. He'll be anchored by very good defensive players around him and in a more structured system.

picc84
07-23-2010, 05:13 PM
The only wing signing that would have been worse than Barnes was Tracy McGrady.

Miller

Bell

Barnes

http://ymswwc.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/tracy-mcgrady.jpg

Giuseppe
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
They're setting the stage for a Walton dump. I just read another article on the front page of ESPN about it.

baseline bum
07-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Glad to see Barnes is the hell out of Orlando and has a great shot to play for a ring. I hated seeing one of my favorite Bruins on my least favorite team in the league. Now if LA or Miami could get Earl Watson...

Kyle Orton
05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Watch how a real championship team and coach utilizes a merc like Barnes.

OK Bruinfan, I'm watching :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Kyle Orton
05-08-2011, 11:21 AM

As if we need his ass to bury the Mavs.

:lmao right. As if.

Greg Oden
05-08-2011, 11:32 AM
obviously the only reason for this signing was to meet the designated quotient of homosexuals the Lakers had to have on their roster.