PDA

View Full Version : Lakers with an impressive off-season

2Cleva
07-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Fandom aside, its damn impressive what LA did.

Armed with nothing but the MLE and a couple of 2nd round picks they brought in:

Blake
Barnes
Ratliff
Caracter
Ebanks

And solidified their bench at every position with guys who fit and all can play D.

Mitch with the pimphand, had a foodstamp, came back with a cart of Lobster and Ribeyes.

Killakobe81
07-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Blake
Barnes
Ratliff
Caracter
Ebanks

And solidified their bench at every position with guys who fit and all can play D.

Mitch with the pimphand, had a foodstamp, came back with a cart of Lobster and Ribeyes.

I think T-bone and shrimp would be more accurate ...but I agree strong off-season. My guess is Phil asked for this to return especially if he takes a pay-cut AND Kobe sees the writing on the wall he needs to ring as much as he can now before the Heat put it ALL together ...or he declines SHARPLY

badfish22
07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
, came back with a cart of Lobster and Ribeyes.

crofl

cobbler
07-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Blake
Barnes
Ratliff
Caracter
Ebanks

People arent seeing this. Almost every move was with a defensive mindset. 2008 taught the Lakers a lot. They have all the scoring they need. Shutting down the few contenders is what will win #17, 18, 19...

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
they def added some character to the team

daslicer
07-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Prediction is Caracter and Ebanks will turn into scrubs. Ratliff is solid along with Barnes but I think Blake will be garbage. I don't see him fitting well into the triangle.

cobbler
07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Prediction is Caracter and Ebanks will turn into scrubs. Ratliff is solid along with Barnes but I think Blake will be garbage. I don't see him fitting well into the triangle.

blake >>>>> farmar

2Cleva
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Blake skills are perfect for the triangle.

Caracter was one of the most talented players in his HS class and showed that this summer. Ebanks is a year or 2 away.

LA actually has a bench now.

Blake, Barnes, Ebanks, Odom, Caracter, Ratliff. Sasha and Walton - once starters on the Finals team in 08 - now at the end of the bench.

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
The Lakers had to improve to keep their gap against the other teams, and they did, so they deserve some credit..however, this wasn't really an "impressive" off-season, it was a good one..

I doubt Ebanks or Caracter see any meaningful minutes this year..

Ratliff will probably play because Bynum will most likely be injured(not trolling here, it's a educated prediction), but he doesn't have much left..

The Blake and Barnes signings are solid though, adds some needed and quality depth to the Lakers bench..

lil_penny
07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Blakes a huge upgrade over farmar.. laker fans will be quite happy with him imho.

2Cleva
07-22-2010, 09:33 PM
The Lakers had to improve to keep their gap against the other teams, and they did, so they deserve some credit..however, this wasn't really an "impressive" off-season, it was a good one..

Considering all they had was the MLE and a couple 2nd round picks - impressive because its far more than anyone could have predicted. That gained 4 legit rotation guys in Blake, Barnes, Ratliff and Caracter.

lil_penny
07-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes sir.. number 22 hangs from the rafters

picc84
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't understand why people think Matt Barnes is a good player. I really don't.

Scratch that. They still remember him feeding Captain Jack for a three point barrage in 07 and dropping a tomahawk on Dirk's head during a 30 point blowout. I'm convinced this is what people think of when they think of Matt Barnes.

What they don't understand is that this was against the Mavs. Against real teams, with real defenses, he is a bum. He can't shoot, he can't pass, he can't defend against anyone worth defending. The only thing he's good for is grabbing a board and picking up a tech shoving someone out of bounds. But we acquired the good Mr. Artest last year for just that purpose.

Chieflion
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Considering all they had was the MLE and a couple 2nd round picks - impressive because its far more than anyone could have predicted. That gained 4 legit rotation guys in Blake, Barnes, Ratliff and Caracter.

I don't see how Caracter will be part of the regular rotation if all 3 of Gasol, Bynum and Odom stays healthy.

Heard Odom is out of shape though.

LkrFan
07-22-2010, 09:38 PM
I know Shaq is catching ulcers right now.
I bet he feels like shit. Had he kept his yap shut we would have brought him in to back up Bynum instead of Rat (who I like by the way). Matter of fact, Rat is probably better than anyone Miami can afford to sign this year. :lol

It's good to be the champs. :lobt:#17 coming this year...:toast.

midnightpulp
07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I dare the Heat to show up to the finals.

Your team's chances at number 12 have improved greatly.

Be interesting to see how it all materializes.

cobbler
07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't see how Caracter will be part of the regular rotation if all 3 of Gasol, Bynum and Odom stays healthy.

Heard Odom is out of shape though.

He's playing with USA team right now though. He will be in shape at seasons start.

LkrFan
07-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Defense. Defense. and more Defense. We just shut down 3 HOFers in the Finals - holding them to 79 points to cut down the nets. Now we've upgraded our bench tremendously. Here are the defenders we can throw at the Miami Hype:

Wade: Kobe, Barnes, Artest
LeHype: Artest, LO, Kobe
Bosh: Pau, LO, Rat
Mike Miller: Kobe, Barnes, Artest
Big Z: Bynum, Rat, Pau, LO
Chalmers: Blake, Kobe, Fisher

I mean... wtf they gonna do against us? If Wade or LeHype get by their initial defenders we have quality swatters backing them up in Bynum, Pau, and now Rat (who could give us 15 mpg). It's good to be the champs.

bandwagon_fan
07-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I am lmao now at the rest of the West. Lakers are running laps around them right now.

Banzai
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
have to wait and see how this materializes on the court...damn I wish the season would start already.

da_suns_fan
07-22-2010, 10:51 PM

Blake
Barnes
Ratliff
Caracter
Ebanks

Whats absolutely hilarious is that all those guys absolutely suck, but Laker fans are too stupid to realize that their team DID, in fact, have a great off-season with one single move:

The kept Derek Fisher.

The Lakers need two guys who can make BIG plays and bail out Kobe's ridiculously stupid decision making:

1) Odom
2) Fisher

You can have Kobe. You can have Gasol. Fishers big shooting and Odoms rebounding is what puts the Lakers over the top. Im not saying any team with those two makes a champion, Im saying if the Lakers lost either of those two they dont win a championship.

No one gives a shit about any of those scrubs. You can have em.

Booharv
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Way to prematurely ejaculate over a couple of second round draft picks.

cobbler
07-22-2010, 11:39 PM
It's the bench! Nothing more. They improved their bench. Simple as that. They consistently gave up leads last year and they went with a more defensive minded upgrade. Nothing huge but an improvement none the less.

Dusting off a spot for #17...

picc84
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Paul Pierce this year:

vs. Miami: 20/6/3 on 46%
vs. Cleveland: 14/5/4 on 35%
vs. LA: 18/3/5 on 44%

vs. Orlando: 24/4/8 on 51%

Matt Barnes - defensive ace.

cobbler
07-22-2010, 11:59 PM
So you are Phil... its scrub time and you look down your bench and Morrison has dissappeared and sitting in his seat is Barnes. Ohhhh bummer...

MI21
07-23-2010, 12:00 AM
The draft picks are whatever, they won't contribute this year.

Ratliff is good insurance and allows LA's defensive system to remain the same when Bynum/Gasol are hurt/foul trouble etc.

Blake and Barnes seem like guys who would fit into the triangle decently.

LA have definitely done well.

SomeCallMeTim
07-23-2010, 12:12 AM

Blake
Barnes
Ratliff
Caracter
Ebanks

Given the team's position, that is an amazing offseason haul.

Of course it pales in comparison to what happened in Miami and the Lakers will still be 'dogs to the Heats IMO, but I'm telling you... these pickups are significant. They shored up some real areas of weakness when I expected they would be unable to do so.

picc84
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
So you are Phil... its scrub time and you look down your bench and Morrison has dissappeared and sitting in his seat is Barnes. Ohhhh bummer...

If he's getting Ammo's minutes i'm all good with this. :lol

Killakobe81
07-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Paul Pierce this year:

vs. Miami: 20/6/3 on 46%
vs. Cleveland: 14/5/4 on 35%
vs. LA: 18/3/5 on 44%

vs. Orlando: 24/4/8 on 51%

Matt Barnes - defensive ace.

Tell us how you really feel ...picc

Don't worry Ron will soften him up for Barnes

picc84
07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
You know what it is.

EIC
07-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Genuine question for Laker fans: How many years do you think you have a genuine, strong shot at the title?

I think next year is all of you've got. I don't see Phil coming back for another season after this one. Win or lose and he's done. The second Kobe slides out of the alpha dog role even by a little bit (and he's already teetering on the edge right now), he is going to go bat-shit crazy and fuck the team's chemistry. This will only get monumentally worse without Phil to corral his ego.

I say the Lakers win another title next year, maybe make the Finals the year after, and then all hell breaks loose and the team is a shell of it's former self by 2013.

But I am honestly curious how Laker fans see this thing playing out a couple years down the line.

Killakobe81
07-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Genuine question for Laker fans: How many years do you think you have a genuine, strong shot at the title?

I think next year is all of you've got. I don't see Phil coming back for another season after this one. Win or lose and he's done. The second Kobe slides out of the alpha dog role even by a little bit (and he's already teetering on the edge right now), he is going to go bat-shit crazy and fuck the team's chemistry. This will only get monumentally worse without Phil to corral his ego.

I say the Lakers win another title next year, maybe make the Finals the year after, and then all hell breaks loose and the team is a shell of it's former self by 2013.

But I am honestly curious how Laker fans see this thing playing out a couple years down the line.

This sounds like that Cuban Artest will end the Lakers talk ...

We did not trade Bynum, because of Kobe and if Kobe DID that (but doubt he will) we can send him out like we did Shaq ...

If he accepts a younger star quietly like Kareem did ...then he gets to be a part of the next dynasty.

Lakers window is 3 years ...not saying we win the next 3 but I think we favorites in West and good shot at title for the next 3 years ...

usdane
07-23-2010, 12:41 AM

About 3 years. Keep in mind that next year there will probably be lockout = short season if any. Less taxing on Kobe; he may even get healthy if we get a lockout.

Jloyola
07-23-2010, 12:44 AM

Thats easy!!

You're right this squad has about 2-3 more years :lobt2: in them then after that Stern will command the Thunder to trade Durant to the Lakers for a 2nd round pick because he hates small market teams... then get Mitch will sign Dwight Howard and Brandon Jennings will want to come to LA.

Its the Laker way :p:

EIC
07-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure how much I'd rely on Bynum to keep the team alive in the absence of a star like Kobe, but I agree that Pau makes the future bright for the Lakers.

Regarding Kobe, I just don't see it in his makeup to be the aging star allowing the younger guys to take center stage. He still believes it's his team with Pau as the sidekick. But I think it is already debatable who the #1 is between Pau and Kobe. It shouldn't matter who the #1 is, but it will matter to him.

I could be wrong, though. It will definitely be interesting to watch it play out.

By far the best thing for the Lakers is how weak the west is. If you ranked the top 5 teams, it would probably be: (1) Lakers, (2) Orlando, (3) Boston, (4) Chicago, (5) Miami.

You would have to go to #6 to get the Thunder. If the Thunder can get a decent big there could be some serious playoff battles for a few years.

EIC
07-23-2010, 12:47 AM
About 3 years. Keep in mind that next year there will probably be lockout = short season if any. Less taxing on Kobe; he may even get healthy if we get a lockout.

Good point. Forgot about that. It does throw a kink in my Kobe-goes-bat-shit theory.

cobbler
07-23-2010, 12:48 AM
3 years... solid contenders. Our title to loose. Then Bynum and Pau take over and Lebron, Wade, and company take the last step of shame and make excellent 4th or 5th options for the Dynasty.

DazedAndConfused
07-23-2010, 12:49 AM
People forget that role players coming to the Lakers typically have to focus on FAR less than they would elsewhere.

Guys like Barnes will be asked to play defense, rebound, and shoot 3's. That's it. The Lakers don't need him to do anything else.

The same goes for Blake, his PG duties will be drastically reduced from what he's used to.

DJ Mbenga
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
mitch did a terrible job. he didnt resign me :(

Danny.Zhu
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Agreed. Very very effective off-season moves.

namlook
07-23-2010, 01:30 AM
You know Lebron\Wade are texting each other right now

Lebron: Lakers got Barnes, they got deeper but we can do this

Wade: Yeah don't trip, I'm on the other line with your mom brb

TacoCabanaFajitas
07-23-2010, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't be too excited about Ebanks and Caracter, but signing barnes and adding Blake were solid moves. Like I said, this is what makes the difference in back2back titles and winning every other year. Spurs NEVER added significant help after a title run, there is something to be said about injecting hungry vets that can still play, rather than hungry vets like Van Exel, Stoudemire...and so forth.

mingus
07-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Heat got all the pub, but LA's summer was very productive with the under the radar signings of Blake and Barnes. they took care of their bench problem. both will fit in very nicely with that team. A+ summer for LA. any other year it would have been enough to almost ensure them a championship.

TE
07-23-2010, 04:14 AM

:lmao

Josepatches_
07-23-2010, 05:03 AM
If Lakers have the best team then Miami (Lebron & Wade) will get more and more props when they win the tittle.

namlook
07-23-2010, 05:13 AM
If Lakers have the best team then Miami (Lebron & Wade) will get more and more props when they win the tittle.

They will need to wait their turn. Lakers aren't done yet.

Zelophehad
07-23-2010, 05:21 AM

:rolleyes

Muser
07-23-2010, 06:20 AM
You're saying a second round pick is going to be a good addition after a decent summer league?...Really?

Muser
07-23-2010, 06:21 AM
And how come Ratliff is now this monster defensive player? When the Spurs signed him he was a washed up bum according to Laker fan.

2Cleva
07-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Ratliff will barely play in LA but at least when he does, he'll bring more than what DJ did the last 2 years. Upgrade.

As for 2nd round picks - Caracter turned a lot of heads. This guy was then 2nd rated player out of HS (behind Greg Oden) so talent was never a question.

But I'll let David Thorpe of ESPN (who hates the Lakers) and a side from SA's own Blair speak on it.

On his performance against Cousins: "I was really impressed. There’s not going to be a lot of guys that Derek’s going to play against that are going to be stronger than him or bigger than him, and Cousins is probably both. In that situation, you look for fight. I thought he really fought. Not only do I not think he gave Cousins an inch, I think he took it personally. Like I can play with this guy, I can pound this guy. That was the mentality. That’s the thing I took away more than anything. He went in there and really fought. He’s not going to start for the Lakers next year, but it's nice to know that if they need him to go against some of the bigger bodies out there that he’s going to bring the fight, and not just let himself get pushed around."

On the current state of his defense: “I think that in most cases, you start defensively with the willingness to defend. I always call it disposition to defend, and I think he’s going to have that without any problem. And the rest is up to the coaches to really detail a plan. The one thing I like about Derek is I think he knows what he’s supposed to do, and that’s going to play well on the defensive end of the floor. He’s going to be in the right spots. The other stuff he’s going to have to pick up, he’s going to pick up in a week or two. It’s not rocket science. Building the habits as it relates to how they’re supposed to defend certain actions within th eLakers’ structure, that’s going to take time. But some of the adjustments he has to make, the little tricks of the trade, he’s going to pick that up quickly. He’s a very natural player. The game’s easy for Derrick.”

On his ability to play at the NBA level: “The guy clearly should have been a first-round pick. A bunch of teams messed up. There’s really no other way of saying it. They couldn’t [look past his history]. And that’s their fault. The league is filled with players that have made bad decisions in their lives, or will make that bad decision while they’re in the NBA. In some respects I actually felt Derrick was less of a risk as a draft pick in the 20’s because he’s already gone through it and come out looking great.

This isn’t just a change he’s made in the last couple weeks. He made a decision last summer to change who he was, and started getting himself in better shape, and admitting that all the problems at Louisville were his fault. He blamed nobody but himself, and to me there are going to be some players in the NBA that as soon as they step in the hole, they’re not going to recover. At least you know in Derrick’s case he’s had the character- no pun intended, obviously- to recover. A lot of teams messed up, and he’s going to make them pay for it in the next four or five years.”

On what his body could look like when he's done maturing, getting into shape: “I think that he could look a lot like Karl Malone. He’s not going to play like Karl Malone, but I think he could have an unbelievable physique… The human body can transform itself dramatically. Derrick’s body can really be transformed.”

Not surprisingly, Thorpe compared Caracter to DeJuan Blair, another guy with question marks and body issues coming into the draft and has since turned into quite a steal for the Spurs. Interestingly enough, Blair shares the same agent as Caracter, and was in the stands for Tuesday's game. "I think he's a wonderful plus for the Lakers," Blair said of Caracter. "He can give Pau [Gasol] and [Andrew] Bynum some time off. He's a great player, and I think a lot of people forget about that. He's a real good player, and my hat goes off to him."

Blair said he's had a chance to speak to Caracter here and there. "I told him if he worked hard, he could get to where I am. And he's here."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/9329/david-thorpe-on-derrick-caracter

Venti Quattro
07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
mitch did a terrible job. he didnt resign me :(
lmao congo cash

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2011, 01:17 AM

Blake
Barnes
Ratliff
Caracter
Ebanks

Blake skills are perfect for the triangle.

Caracter was one of the most talented players in his HS class and showed that this summer. Ebanks is a year or 2 away.

LA actually has a bench now.

Blake, Barnes, Ebanks, Odom, Caracter, Ratliff. Sasha and Walton - once starters on the Finals team in 08 - now at the end of the bench.

Defense. Defense. and more Defense. We just shut down 3 HOFers in the Finals - holding them to 79 points to cut down the nets. Now we've upgraded our bench tremendously. Here are the defenders we can throw at the Miami Hype:

Wade: Kobe, Barnes, Artest
LeHype: Artest, LO, Kobe
Bosh: Pau, LO, Rat
Mike Miller: Kobe, Barnes, Artest
Big Z: Bynum, Rat, Pau, LO
Chalmers: Blake, Kobe, Fisher

I mean... wtf they gonna do against us? If Wade or LeHype get by their initial defenders we have quality swatters backing them up in Bynum, Pau, and now Rat (who could give us 15 mpg). It's good to be the champs.

It's the bench! Nothing more. They improved their bench. Simple as that. They consistently gave up leads last year and they went with a more defensive minded upgrade. Nothing huge but an improvement none the less.

Dusting off a spot for #17...

With the added pieces we got this summer, I say the title is ours to lose for the next three years. As Kobe slows down, guys like Bynum and Pau will pick up. We have no weaknesses at any position.

3 years... solid contenders. Our title to loose. Then Bynum and Pau take over and Lebron, Wade, and company take the last step of shame and make excellent 4th or 5th options for the Dynasty.

They will need to wait their turn. Lakers aren't done yet.

Ratliff will barely play in LA but at least when he does, he'll bring more than what DJ did the last 2 years. Upgrade.

As for 2nd round picks - Caracter turned a lot of heads. This guy was then 2nd rated player out of HS (behind Greg Oden) so talent was never a question.

But I'll let David Thorpe of ESPN (who hates the Lakers) and a side from SA's own Blair speak on it.

:lol 2Cleva..
:lol shitty poster masquerading as a basketball connoisseur..
:lol Caracter and Ebanks, 2 of the worst players in the NBA..
:lol Steve Blake, ugly pussy..
:lol delusional Laker fans..

WildcardManu
05-07-2011, 01:18 AM
http://www.mariomayhem.com/fun/mario_tattoos/game_over_tattoo.jpg

SpurOutofTownFan
05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Lol

crc21209
05-07-2011, 02:42 AM
:lol Lakers are sttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkeeeeeee ddddddd!

baseline bum
05-07-2011, 03:51 AM
I liked the post talking about how teams would regret not picking Caracter in the first round best. :rollin

Muser
05-07-2011, 04:57 AM
People arent seeing this. Almost every move was with a defensive mindset. 2008 taught the Lakers a lot. They have all the scoring they need. Shutting down the few contenders is what will win #17, 18, 19...

This has to be one of the shittiest posts of Spurstalk history :lmao

:lol Blake/Barnes/2 Scrub ass players being defensive moves