PDA

View Full Version : Did the Spurs really resign Richard Jefferson?

DazedAndConfused
07-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Are they that fucking stupid? Did they not see this guy play at all last season?

Wow, I expect this from the Knicks. Not the Spurs.

NRHector
07-23-2010, 12:59 AM
you didn't have to start a new thread

admiralsnackbar
07-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Luke. Walton.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm with the Faker fan on this one. :depressed

4>0rings
07-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Did you not see who is coaching? He ran the show with the #1 pick and is about to ride his ass out with 4 rings. Really... Sarver could win 4 rings with Timmy.

spursbird
07-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Did you not see who is coaching? He ran the show with the #1 pick and is about to ride his ass out with 4 rings. Really... Sarver could win 4 rings with Timmy.
You should say: My grandma could win 4 rings with Timmy:downspin:

scanry
07-23-2010, 02:42 AM
You should say: My grandma could win 4 rings with Timmy:downspin:

Or better: Phil Jackson could've won 6 rings with Timmy...

timtonymanu
07-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Not only that. They also resigned Matt Bonner.

Both got longterm contracts for choking in the playoffs.

Brent Barry must be laughing his ass off. He's easily better than these two as far as fitting into the system but he wasnt given the free ride these two just got. In the Spurs' prime, both Bonner and RJ wouldnt last more than a season here.

Ice009
07-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Not only that. They also resigned Matt Bonner.

Both got longterm contracts for choking in the playoffs.

Brent Barry must be laughing his ass off. He's easily better than these two as far as fitting into the system but he wasnt given the free ride these two just got. In the Spurs' prime, both Bonner and RJ wouldnt last more than a season here.

That's the whole thing with these signings that pisses me off. Brent Barry was yanked after 1 or 2 defensive mistakes and sent to the bench. If he would have gotten the freedom these guys got he could have been really awesome for us.

sa_butta
07-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Who were they suppose to get in his place???
People seriously need to give up on the Bonner and RJ hate, like it or not
they are resigned and they are Spurs.

MaNu4Tres
07-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I guess they did.

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I don't think anyone was aware.

sa_butta
07-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I guess they did.

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I don't think anyone was aware.
Not surprising coming from a Lakers fan with a screen name
DazedAndConfused.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Who were they suppose to get in his place???
People seriously need to give up on the Bonner and RJ hate, like it or not
they are resigned and they are Spurs.

At some point you have to decide that not having anybody is preferable to severely overpaying bad players for multiple years.

ulosturedge
07-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Moot point. None of the bigger names wanted to come to San Antonio. Once the SF pool became depleted it made sense to stick with a veteran player that already knows the system. It's not gonna matter in a couple of years anyways. This is all about now.

tdunk21
07-23-2010, 08:02 AM
yeah dummy....spurs did.....

td4mvp21
07-23-2010, 08:46 AM
We also signed Gary Neal and Matt Bonner. Don't act so surprised.

dbestpro
07-23-2010, 08:51 AM
RJ will be the 2nd year wonder and be the player we thought he could be last year. Bonner will become a big shot player as that is the only time Pop will put him in so he can get use to it. Neal will become Steve Kerr with jets.

At least its better than the constant whining and the walking around with end of the world signs.

NRHector
07-23-2010, 09:09 AM
RJ will be the 2nd year wonder and be the player we thought he could be last year. Bonner will become a big shot player as that is the only time Pop will put him in so he can get use to it. Neal will become Steve Kerr with jets.

At least its better than the constant whining and the walking around with end of the world signs.this is sarcasm right?

Fabbs
07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
When will terms of Pop-Bumfords reward money for Soft Dick be revealed?

Do NBA teams at X point have to reveal the terms?

hater
07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
yes they did, faggot

Fabbs
07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Where? Are you another of Pops towel bois with "insider" information? :rollin

hater
07-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I was responding to the OP's question, dummy

dbestpro
07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
this is sarcasm right?

:p:

ohmwrecker
07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Are they that fucking stupid? Did they not see this guy play at all last season?

I'm willing to bet that you didn't watch a single Spurs game outside of the games vs the Lakers.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
What's funny is that I actually equate this deal to the one the Lakers gave Lamar Odom last year. They didn't want to risk losing him and weakening their team, but he didn't actually live up to the talent level he possessed on a regular basis. Still, they overpaid for him relative to what he brings to the team night in and night out.

Ironic that Laker Fan thinks the deal is laughable.

SpurYank
07-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Yup. I can stay away for a year or two, come back to check whuzzup and I find we are still # 1 in the hearts of all NBA fans in S.A.

NUMBER ONE IN CONSTANT WHINNING, that is. Last time I looked, our franchise is one of the top five in all sports, respected around the league (and by almost every NBA coach and player), have more than a couple of titles, and we have Timmeh, Manu, Tony, and now three or four exciting players for this coming season.

Join the rest of us who cannot wait to get started. And stop your whinning.

kjhip1
07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Yup. I can stay away for a year or two, come back to check whuzzup and I find we are still # 1 in the hearts of all NBA fans in S.A.

NUMBER ONE IN CONSTANT WHINNING, that is. Last time I looked, our franchise is one of the top five in all sports, respected around the league (and by almost every NBA coach and player), have more than a couple of titles, and we have Timmeh, Manu, Tony, and now three or four exciting players for this coming season.

Join the rest of us who cannot wait to get started. And stop your whinning.

:toast

And quit starting threads like this which only prolong the bitching that comes with moves the FO make.

superbigtime
07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
And learn how to fucking spell.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 11:41 AM
What's funny is that I actually equate this deal to the one the Lakers gave Lamar Odom last year. They didn't want to risk losing him and weakening their team, but he didn't actually live up to the talent level he possessed on a regular basis. Still, they overpaid for him relative to what he brings to the team night in and night out.

I agree with that to a certain extent, but Lamar Odom is one of the top players in the league when he actually decides to play. We can't say the same of RJ.

rmt
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
At some point you have to decide that not having anybody is preferable to severely overpaying bad players for multiple years.

Ditto

cheguevara
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM

huh, Lamar Odom fits the lakers like a glove. Many times he's the glue guy.

Can't say the same about RJ.

no way you can equate those

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree with that to a certain extent, but Lamar Odom is one of the top players in the league when he actually decides to play. We can't say the same of RJ.

"one of the top players in the league" is a pretty ambiguous statement, and I definitely disagree. Odom is a very versatile player, but his production has never been in that category. He's a better talent than RJ, but neither has really blossomed in their roles with their current teams.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
huh, Lamar Odom fits the lakers like a glove. Many times he's the glue guy.

Can't say the same about RJ.

no way you can equate those

The Laker fans I talk to (and there are a lot b/c I live in LA) think LO is the most frustrating of all the players. He is oozing with talent, but he frequently coasts through games and disappears for long stretches.

The only thing he does really well for them is rebound, but that's because he logs a lot of minutes as the PF.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 11:59 AM
"one of the top players in the league" is a pretty ambiguous statement, and I definitely disagree. Odom is a very versatile player, but his production has never been in that category. He's a better talent than RJ, but neither has really blossomed in their roles with their current teams.

Odom's production has never been consistently great, which is why he's who he is. The fact is, Odom's got more talent than anyone on his team, and he's their best player when he channels it. He shows you just enough to make you gamble on his potential. The same cannot be argued for RJ on basically any team he's ever been on. The Lakers had to contend with that "what if he signs with someone else and turns into Lebron James" thing when they were deciding whether to sign him. Lamar Odom at 20 percent was enough to help them win two titles in a row. RJ at 20 percent is enough to keep the Spurs out of the lottery.

cheguevara
07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
The Laker fans I talk to (and there are a lot b/c I live in LA) think LO is the most frustrating of all the players. He is oozing with talent, but he frequently coasts through games and disappears for long stretches.

this is true

but the lakers don't win either of their championships without Odom. He is #3 most important player in the lakers by far

He is the sole reason they killed the Spurs. No spur could guard him

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
O_V, I respect your opinions so I'm going to give you a pass on everything except this...

The fact is, Odom's got more talent than anyone on his team

You just said Odom was more talented than arguably a top 10 player (top 3 guard) in league history. Are you crazy?

I would even put Pau Gasol above Odom, because he is equally as versatile at a more premium position.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
O_V, I respect your opinions so I'm going to give you a pass on everything except this...

You just said Odom was more talented than arguably a top 10 player (top 3 guard) in league history. Are you crazy?

I would even put Pau Gasol above Odom, because he is equally as versatile at a more premium position.

Talent has nothing to do with production, see Coleman, Derek.

Odom has more talent than a lot of players that out-produce him. Kobe Bryant works his ass off, and has for years to get to be as good as he is and to get everything he possibly can out of his talent, but when Odom's game is on he's the best player on that team. That's why he's so frustrating to Laker fans. That's why he's so frustrating to anyone that's ever watched him play.

Muser
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Gasol and Kobe both have way more talent than Odom, saying otherwise is just stupid.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 12:39 PM
this is true

but the lakers don't win either of their championships without Odom. He is #3 most important player in the lakers by far

He is the sole reason they killed the Spurs. No spur could guard him

Agree that they don't win either championship without him, but I might actually say that both D Fish and Artest were more important pieces for them in this past year's playoffs than LO.

And I understand the Spurs argument and how it might shape your opinion. Odom is just one of those Spurs killers...dude goes bananas against them. But, he just doesn't repeat those types of performances against other teams.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Gasol and Kobe both have way more talent than Odom, saying otherwise is just stupid.

Gasol and Kobe are both better players than Odom. Saying talent automatically equals production is just stupid.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Talent has nothing to do with production, see Coleman, Derek.

Odom has more talent than a lot of players that out-produce him. Kobe Bryant works his ass off, and has for years to get to be as good as he is and to get everything he possibly can out of his talent, but when Odom's game is on he's the best player on that team. That's why he's so frustrating to Laker fans. That's why he's so frustrating to anyone that's ever watched him play.

He has more talent than a lot of players that out-produce him...but that list of players absolutely does not include Kobe or Gasol.

in2deep
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
The fact is, Odom's got more talent than anyone on his team, and he's their best player when he channels it.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/partly-politics/assets_c/2010/06/Blank-Facepalm-thumb-387x259-155318.jpg

Brazil
07-23-2010, 01:14 PM
We stackeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddd

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Spurs fans should be irate when the team loses talent for $ (ie Scola, SJackson) or fails to deal a young player before Pop has so thoroughly destroyed their trade value that they get nothing in return (ie Udrih, Mahinmi), not when they actually step up and retain a player they needed (don't tell me any of your beloved D-leaguers is going to play 30 minutes a night at the 3). Jefferson's contract matters very little two years from now. Find something real to bitch or gloat about, especially the 'tard OP.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Pop is a retard and should be shot.

Muser
07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Gasol and Kobe are both better players than Odom. Saying talent automatically equals production is just stupid.

Well, when Gasol and Kobe both have more talent than Odom it doesn't matter.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Jefferson's contract matters very little two years from now.

This is the part I disagree with. If the Spurs enter rebuilding mode after TD and Manu are gone, it would be nice to have some roster flexibility to add a major player or two to the new core (presumably Hill, Anderson, Blair and Splitter). RJs contract hits eight figures right in the middle of that and probably kills any chance of making those type of moves.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
This is the part I disagree with. If the Spurs enter rebuilding mode after TD and Manu are gone, it would be nice to have some roster flexibility to add a major player or two to the new core (presumably Hill, Anderson, Blair and Splitter). RJs contract hits eight figures right in the middle of that and probably kills any chance of making those type of moves.

Because the Spurs have proven that they can lure a top FA from another team.

Radoslav doesn't count.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Because the Spurs have proven that they can lure a top FA from another team.

Radoslav doesn't count.

Right, so counting out the possibility of making decent free agent acquisitions by signing a player who clearly doesn't fit into the rebuilding picture to a contract that goes to eight figures for a couple years into that phase makes a lot more sense.

I swear, that is the lamest argument ever.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, when Gasol and Kobe both have more talent than Odom it doesn't matter.

And if they did it wouldn't.

21_Blessings
07-23-2010, 04:35 PM

No, saying Odom has more talent than Kobe/Gasol is stupid. You can't get any dumber than that..

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/tomasson/files/2009/07/richard_jefferson_face.jpg

Or maybe RC can :flag:

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
No, saying Odom has more talent than Kobe/Gasol is stupid. You can't get any dumber than that..

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/tomasson/files/2009/07/richard_jefferson_face.jpg

Or maybe RC can :flag:

Again, why are you ragging on the Spurs FO for making an almost identical decision as your team's FO did last season? Do you think Lamar Odom really deserves $10M/yr for his awesome rebounding numbers?

The Lakers overpaid for a guy (actually two if you include Bynum) who never has and probably never will live up to his talent level in an effort to stay competitive. It worked for them, so why is it such a dumb move for the Spurs?

21_Blessings
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Odom and Bynum are both better than Dick by miles.

8FOR!3
07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Richard Jefferson, WE STACCKKKEDD

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Odom and Bynum are both better than Dick by miles.

If their stat-lines could talk, they would beg to differ.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Right, so counting out the possibility of making decent free agent acquisitions by signing a player who clearly doesn't fit into the rebuilding picture to a contract that goes to eight figures for a couple years into that phase makes a lot more sense.

I swear, that is the lamest argument ever.

The lamest argument ever, which has been disproven offseason after offseason, is that of SA as some kind of major free agent destination. The Spurs aren't rebuilding yet, so I could care less if 3 years from now the Spurs might win 40 games instead of 35 because they didn't kick off the rebuild while Duncan was still around. Actually, now that I think about, the Spurs could start the rebuild in earnest by moving TD and TP now.

21_Blessings
07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
If their stat-lines could talk, they would beg to differ.

Tell us more.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
The lamest argument ever, which has been disproven offseason after offseason, is that of SA as some kind of major free agent destination. The Spurs aren't rebuilding yet, so I could care less if 3 years from now the Spurs win 40 games instead of 35.

I'm not deluded to the point where I think SA is Miami, New York or LA...but I don't see how outright precluding yourself from the free agency process in favor of a 34yr old RJ making eight figures during a time of rebuilding makes any sense. And nothing you've said clarifies why it would.

As to whether or not you care about this team in 3 years...not my concern.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Weakening your contending team for the next two seasons to improve your prospects for rebuilding three years from now is stupid. Fortunately, the Spurs agree.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 05:23 PM
New team building model: Instead of trying to attract top free agents you instead pay free agents with no other options the same as you'd pay top free agents and BINGO. When challenged on it, you point to how terrible the team is going to be down the road and it doesn't matter what you do because the team's going in the shitter sooner or later no matter what you do. Then when the team's in the lottery due to the terrible contracts you go to the message boards and say, "See? I called this three years ago. Ain't I smart?"

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Tell us more.

RJ has better PPG numbers, similar APG numbers and lower RPG numbers, but they're not substantially different in any category. More to the point, your subjective (i.e. homerific) assessment that Odom and Bynum are "better by miles" than RJ doesn't bear out.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Weakening your contending team for the next two seasons to improve your prospects for rebuilding three years from now is stupid. Fortunately, the Spurs agree.

Who said I was in favor of not offering RJ a contract and keeping him with this team? I didn't.

I completely understand why they re-signed him...as RC said, they were going to be a much worse team without him. What I don't get is the size (average nearly $10M/yr on an escalating pay scale) and the length (fully guaranteed for four years...i.e. two years after TD and one year after Manu).

Having the contract at that length for that amount just makes it prohibitively difficult to add pieces while extending the young core. But, whatever. It is what it is and I do appreciate the Spurs' attempt to stay relevant by keeping Jefferson in the fold. I just wish it hadn't come at the possible expense of the future.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
New team building model: Instead of trying to attract top free agents you instead pay free agents with no other options the same as you'd pay top free agents and BINGO. When challenged on it, you point to how terrible the team is going to be down the road and it doesn't matter what you do because the team's going in the shitter sooner or later no matter what you do. Then when the team's in the lottery due to the terrible contracts you go to the message boards and say, "See? I called this three years ago. Ain't I smart?"

Damn, that was a waste of 5 seconds.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Damn, that was a waste of 5 seconds.

5 seconds to save people from having to read your posts.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2010, 05:57 PM
That made no sense whatsoever. But, of course, you posted it so that was a given.

Obstructed_View
07-24-2010, 08:23 AM
That made no sense whatsoever. But, of course, you posted it so that was a given.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I condensed your position down into a single paragraph. The fact that it sounds stupid is because it is. Unfortunately for you, it's also your position.

benefactor
07-24-2010, 08:50 AM
And to think that we all thought the Spurs would not do an Igoudala trade for fear of taking on a long term deal as big as his.

I'm pretty floored by the number of Spurs fans that think this is ok...and will go as far as saying ridiculous things like "the future doesn't matter" in order to justify it.