PDA

View Full Version : Heads up to users(legal bs)

The_Worlds_finest
07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
From what I've gathered this page doesn't generate money. However I saw this little tidbit. Just a heads up to everyone.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/

Halberto
07-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I wonder if SA express news has talked to him. Look out timvp

Trainwreck2100
07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I wonder if SA express news has talked to him. Look out timvp

don't know how that'll work they sent him a C&D and he complied

G-Nob
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
That guy's dickhand makes me nervous

BadOne
07-23-2010, 04:10 PM
don't know how that'll work they sent him a C&D and he complied

Dude, your avatar is f'n hillarious! :lmao WTF is that???

wut
07-23-2010, 07:52 PM
The RIAA’s lawsuits weren’t a money maker, though — the record labels spent $64 million in legal costs, and recovered only $1.3 million in damages and settlements. The independent film producers say they nonetheless expect to turn a profit from their lawsuits.
I know this is really off-topic, but I'm sorry....I call bullcrap on this one. I'm so tired of these idiots claiming every download was a lost buyer....the logic is failed; as is copyright law.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the american music industry has seemed to disappear....almost EXACTLY after they started suiting their fans.

CubanMustGo
07-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately until you get Congress to change the law, failed or not in your mind, the copyright holders own your ass in court.

gospursgojas
07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
So what? Now I can't read shit from Jeff McDonald posted on this forum?

The content of some ST posters is better than what I can read on any newspaper/magazine article anyway.

Drachen
07-23-2010, 10:45 PM

The content of some ST posters is better than what I can read on any newspaper/magazine article anyway.

Actually, reading Spurstalk is like reading the "early edition" of all of Jeff McDonald's articles. You get the news before it's news!

ChuckD
07-23-2010, 11:52 PM

Actually, you haven't been able to do that in a while. The Excuse for News sent this site a take down notice for everything and a cease and desist on posting complete articles.

If this goes down, 228 should just cancel her account.

hsxvvd
07-24-2010, 12:01 AM
I imagine you'd still be permitted to post links. Which would be fair. I can understand the copyright issue if people are simply reposting entire articles.

ElNono
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
It's extortion, plain and simple, IMO. They offer you to 'settle' for a given amount under the treat of suing you and making you incur in larger costs associated with defending yourself in court. It's plainly obvious that sites like this one fall under the 'safe harbor' provisions of the DMCA, and thus a Cease and Desist letter should be all that's necessary to notify and force compliance (as recently upheld in Viacom vs YouTube). However, dragging your feet to court to prove it will cost you a pretty penny.

Obviously legislation is lacking in this department, and until entities such as the EFF and ACLU step up and challenge these people in court it's going to keep on happening.
There's always something you can do if you care. Donate to such entities, or write your Congress representative about this issue.

Dave McNulla
07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
it all hinges on the supposed worthfulness and originality of the stories. dime a dozen. every time some kid knocks on my door, i tell them that i don't buy the olds-papers. i can learn anything i want now in a tweet or google new search. they individual copyright holder is irrelevant.

so rules are outdated. next thing they'll be arresting people for having concealed wirecutters (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070517060606AAarfiH).

Dro210
07-24-2010, 03:49 AM
This guy is a huge douchebag. End of story.

lotr1trekkie
07-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Tim is obviously the best player from 1999 to 2009. Even with out David the team excelled annually. He won with totally diffent team mates. Kobe needed the Gasol trade to win again. Son't bet against the Lakers to land another ST.

Fabbs
07-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Wonder if Bouzek considered sending a couple of bikers over to adjust the attitude of SueBoi Douchebag?

One defendant who is ready to settle is Fred Bouzek, a Virginia man who runs bikernews.net, a user-generated site about hardcore biker news. He was sued last week on allegations the site ran a Las Vegas Review-Journal story about police going under cover with the Hell’s Angels.

Even if he had grounds to fight the case, he says it would be cheaper to settle. “The only choice I have is to try to raise money and offer a settlement,” he says.

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/#ixzz0uc2VZoXz

Homeland Security
07-24-2010, 10:26 AM
The fourth estate is the fifth column. Time to start throwing journalists through plate glass windows.

thispego
07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
why don't you lazy asses start paraphrasing entire articles? problem solved.

wildbill2u
07-24-2010, 10:54 AM
From what I've gathered this page doesn't generate money. However I saw this little tidbit. Just a heads up to everyone.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/

Reminds me of the dirt bag attorney who worked with a guy in a wheelchair to go into tiny Mom and Pop stores and then sued for violation of the Disabled Americans Act. He hit thousands of places in California for small settlements. This wasn't dsigned tohelp the disabled, it was a scam. I think the California bar finally was so embarassd they shut him down.

This is the time to start lawyer jokes:

Why do sharks ignore lawyers after a shipwreck? Professional courtesy.

ChuckD
07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Reminds me of the dirt bag attorney who worked with a guy in a wheelchair to go into tiny Mom and Pop stores and then sued for violation of the Disabled Americans Act. He hit thousands of places in California for small settlements. This wasn't dsigned tohelp the disabled, it was a scam. I think the California bar finally was so embarassd they shut him down.

This is the time to start lawyer jokes:

Why do sharks ignore lawyers after a shipwreck? Professional courtesy.

Why does New York have thousands and thousands of lawyers and New Jersey have thousands and thousands of barrels of toxic waste?

New Jersey got first choice.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Tim is obviously the best player from 1999 to 2009. Even with out David the team excelled annually. He won with totally diffent team mates. Kobe needed the Gasol trade to win again. Son't bet against the Lakers to land another ST.

???

DMC
07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
This site is fucking hilarious. People's signatures are so long that other people respond to those instead of the OP because they have no fucking idea what the OP was about, since it was 3 lines and the signature is 12 lines.

dbestpro
07-24-2010, 02:30 PM
why don't you start nobbing articles? fixed.

Got it.