PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign James Anderson

Shifty
07-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Wondering why took them so long. Is it normal for rookie contracts?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_james_anderson_100723.html

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Uh oh. Bye bye, Malik.

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see this kid play.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Sweet...now he can back up Neal at SG.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Uh oh. Bye bye, Malik.

Two blue comments in a row...love it!

Agree about wanting to see this kid on the court.

urunobili
07-23-2010, 02:41 PM
damn I can't wait to see him play :)

ohmwrecker
07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Full roster.

boutons_deux
07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
He won't hit a single 3G until January. Remember how Bones started out?

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Full roster.

Posed it in the other thread...I'm assuming you're including the non-guaranteed players?

Muser
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Sweet. Kids gonna be a beast.

urunobili
07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
well... I may just buy the LP after all :)

MaNu4Tres
07-23-2010, 03:03 PM
So a backup small forwad is in need still.

Hairston and or Gee.

The time is now.

Marcus Bryant
Spurs were trying to get him to take less than the 120%.

AFBlue
Correction: it's not that bad. Guaranteed contracts are Tony/Manu/RJ/Duncan/Splitter/Blair/McDyess/Hill/Bonner/Neal/Anderson. So a backup small forwad is in need still.

Unless they consider Anderson as a backup at both SG and SF. But, yeah there are a bunch of spots still technically "up for grabs".

Biggems
07-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I wish there could have been a way to get Anderson and Damion James.

Our 2nd unit would have been very nice....Hill, Anderson, James, Blair, Bonner.

I hope Anderson can become our Ray Allen.....a shooting assassin.

MoSpur
07-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Good thing. I have a good feeling about this guy. I think he's going to be a solid player off the bench. He's a natural shooter and scorer. I could be wrong. We'll see though.

spursdotcom
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
thanks for posting :toast

spurs10
Unless they consider Anderson as a backup at both SG and SF. But, yeah there are a bunch of spots still technically "up for grabs".
Yep, but Anderson is a 2. This backup 3 business is intriguing....

AFBlue
I wish there could have been a way to get Anderson and Damion James.

Our 2nd unit would have been very nice....Hill, Anderson, James, Blair, Bonner.

I hope Anderson can become our Ray Allen.....a shooting assassin.

What about Koshwal and Torrance?

:lol

PDXSpursFan
07-23-2010, 03:17 PM
He will take Mahinmi spot as Spurs' D-leaguer

ohmwrecker
07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Posed it in the other thread...I'm assuming you're including the non-guaranteed players?

I am.

MarCowMar
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Spurs were trying to get him to take less than the 120%.

So what's Anderson's leverage here? He threatens to sit out a year and sign as a FA elsewhere?

Hooks
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Wondering why took them so long. Is it normal for rookie contracts?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_james_anderson_100723.html

Someone posted in another thread saying that the Spurs didn't sign Hill and another rookie until sometime around September...

I can't wait to see this guy play, I think he'll fit right in with the Spurs and I think he'll be a pretty darn good NBA player. I wasn't too excited when I heard the Spurs drafted him because I hadn't seen much footage of him. After watching a crap load of videos of him tearing shit up and hearing how unselfish and humble he is from a bunch of OSU fans I'm really excited.

He has a winning attitude just like Manu, he's an extremely hard worker as evidenced by his college career. Dude went from just a spot up shooter his Freshman season to scoring 22PPG in a variety of ways while getting double teamed and swarmed by defenses cause there wasn't any other player on his team that could carry the offensive load. He was the Big 12 MVP for a reason.

Duncan2177
07-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Hairston and or Gee.

The time is now.

Those two are scrubs.

Bruno
07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm curious to see if it's for 120% or 100% of the rookie scale because it could decide if Spurs are able to carry 13 or 14 players next year.

8FOR!3
07-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Anderson is not quite big enough for the SF position, but he will likely play it a little. Here is my projected depth chart

Parker/Hill/Temple (Jerralls is cut)
Manu/Anderson/Neal (Mason is not re-signed)
Jefferson/Gee/Hairston
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess

An insurance big will need to be signed, unless the Spurs just want to pick from the D-League crop and keep a roster spot open.

There is still a lot of off-season to go though.

I'll have...

Tony Parker | George Hill
Manu Ginobili | James Anderson | Gary Neal
Richard Jefferson | Alonzo Gee
Tim Duncan | DeJuan Blair | Matt Bonner
Tiago Splitter | Antonio McDyess

IR 13. Garrett Temple
IR 14. Malik Hairston
IR 15. N/A (Alonzo Gee if we sign a backup SF)

Shifty
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Neither of you feel the need for that 6th big* as an insurance?

* 6'11 or taller

Mhak
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
I'll have...

IR 13. Garrett Temple
IR 14. Malik Hairston

I agree in most part here but i assume that antonio will start at the beginning of the season.

Also, bonner will get more minutes than blair and tiago since stretch 4 is important to them. he also knows the system more.

Duncan2177
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Gee and Hairston as your backup SFs is not gonna cut it especially if we want to beat the lakers the spurs need to add more depth.

ace3g
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
the Spurs need one more SF/shooter combo

MoSpur
07-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I want the Spurs to go after Butler or Howard. However, Howard won't be available to play until like December or January.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Anderson is not quite big enough for the SF position, but he will likely play it a little.

His body reminds me of Bruce Bowen's...wiry, but strong. He may only be 6'6 (an inch shorter than Bowen), but doesn't he have a decent wingspan? The point I'm getting at...if Bowen could play SF for the Spurs, couldn't Anderson?

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm still unclear as to when Malik Hairston turned into Beno Udrih. Do people realize that he and Gee were teammates last season and Hairston was better?

tdunk21
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Uh oh. Bye bye, Malik.

whats with the blue font?

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 04:27 PM
whats with the blue font?

You don't know what blue means?

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 04:28 PM
You don't know what blue means?

I say that instead of letting him in on it, we ridecule him for his ignorance.

Leonard Curse
07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Anderson is not quite big enough for the SF position, but he will likely play it a little. Here is my projected depth chart

Jefferson/Gee/Hairston
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess

An insurance big will need to be signed, unless the Spurs just want to pick from the D-League crop and keep a roster spot open.

Perfect this is what i was thinking and to me this seems just right, we do need another big cause if anyone gets hurt right now playing C or PF it throws everything way off, pop should get someone who can block shots and defend the hell out of the paint even if there just one dimensional we dont need our 3rd string bigs to score 10 pts we really need defense

Anonymous Cowherd
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Ryan Richards! give the boy a chance, if for no other reason than he would be delighted to play for the Toros with no fuss or expectations.
oh and he'd be cheap.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Here is my projected depth chart

Jefferson/Gee/Hairston
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess

I'll have...

IR 13. Garrett Temple
IR 14. Malik Hairston

Uhhh...where's The Centerpiece?

Bruno
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
This blue font thing is damn stupid and condescending.
When I'm sarcastic, I assume the reader will be smart enough to get it.

AFBlue
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM

I'm offended.

Trill Clinton
07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I doub t we sign Gee...he's been in the system longer than neal and he hasn't gotten a contract yet...he'll be back in washington soon.

sabar
07-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey guys am I doing this right

coyotes_geek
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I doub t we sign Gee...he's been in the system longer than neal and he hasn't gotten a contract yet...he'll be back in washington soon.

Gee is already signed.

Trill Clinton
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Gee is already signed.

Is his contract guaranteed? If not he's outta here.

coyotes_geek
07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Is his contract guaranteed? If not he's outta here.

Partially. $100k.

Hairston OTOH has no guaranteed money in his contract.

ace3g
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
hopefully the Spurs were waiting till after they signed Anderson, to see where they would be at the salary cap/luxury tax, before going at a back up SF.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Correction: it's not that bad. Guaranteed contracts are Tony/Manu/RJ/Duncan/Splitter/Blair/McDyess/Hill/Bonner/Neal/Anderson. So a backup small forwad is in need still.

Partial guarantees:
Gee is guaranteed $100K right now (goes up to $200K in Nov). Temple is guaranteed $35K, but that goes up to $110K if he's not waived by Aug 5.

8FOR!3
07-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Uhhh...where's The Centerpiece?

What was I thinking...And I forgot that we've got to trade TP.

George Hill | Jacque Vaughn
Keith Bogans | Manu Ginobili | Richard Jefferson
Matt Bonner | Danilo Gallinari
Antonio McDyess | DeJuan Blair | Tiago Splitter
Tim Duncan | Shaquille O'Neal

Can you say championship? :king :lol

ChumpDumper
07-23-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm still unclear as to when Malik Hairston turned into Beno Udrih. Do people realize that he and Gee were teammates last season and Hairston was better?Initially, no question Hairston was better. As the season progressed, though, so did Gee. They are much closer now as players than before.

TD 21
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Hairston and or Gee.

The time is now.

Given their build and lack of ball skills, I don't know why people see them as SG's. Their primary position, if they're to carve out a spot for themselves in the league, will likely be SF. On this team, it definitely will be.

Rotation wise, I expect a combination of Anderson, Hairston and on occasion Ginobili to fill the backup SF spot. I expect Gee to primarily be with the Toros.

Jefferson/Gee/Hairston
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess

Neither was/is Barry and Ginobili, yet they've both played there. I actually think there's a good chance Anderson sees at least as much time at SF as he sees at SG. Ginobili and Hill are going to play the vast majority of the minutes at SG and Neal is strictly an SG, so it's going to be difficult for Anderson to play a lot of SG.

Depth chart, I'd go...

McDyess/Bonner/Blair
Jefferson/Hairston/Gee
Duncan/Splitter
Ginobili/Anderson/Neal
Parker/Hill/Temple

I don't think that will be the rotation though, or the starting lineup for that matter.

panic giraffe
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
wait how many 2's do we have? and how many sf's do we have? i'm confused now.

ohmwrecker
07-23-2010, 05:27 PM

That would be nice, wouldn't it? It's been my experience that sarcasm does not translate to the internet.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Initially, no question Hairston was better. As the season progressed, though, so did Gee. They are much closer now as players than before.

Much closer does not mean they're equal. It's still Hairston's position to lose.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I say that instead of letting him in on it, we ridecule him for his ignorance.

I didn't know if he was asking what blue means, or if he was challenging the fact that I think Hairston isn't in any danger of being cut. There's been a surprisingly large amount of Hairston bashing lately, much of it by people whose names I don't recognize, so I was just asking for clarification. I didn't want to just be obtuse and say what the blue text means if that wasn't the question.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
wait how many 2's do we have? and how many sf's do we have? i'm confused now.

A bunch of mostly shooting guards. Richard Jefferson is probably the only legitimate small forward on the roster. They do have a few big guys that could play it in a big lineup (Blair or Bonner) and a few small guys who could play it in a quicker lineup (Gee or Hairston or even Anderson).

If Splitter actually turns out to be a solid defensive NBA center, then either combination will work depending upon the situation because there are people to defend the paint.

Agloco
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree in most part here but i assume that antonio will start at the beginning of the season.

Also, bonner will get more minutes than blair and tiago since stretch 4 is important to them. he also knows the system more.

You have no idea how wrong I hope you are.

nbaman99
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
So they didn't sign him few weeks ago when they had that press conference and all?

Mhak
07-23-2010, 06:26 PM
You have no idea how wrong I hope you are.

I hope i am wrong also but we will see!!!

elemento
07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
So is it 100% ou 120% of the rookie scale?

TD 21
07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
So is it 100% ou 120% of the rookie scale?

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/07/spurs-sign-rook.html

Per the NBA's rookie salary scale, Anderson -- the 20th overall pick out of Oklahoma State -- will receive two guaranteed seasons worth a maximum of $2.825 million, with team options for the third and fourth seasons.

ChuckD
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Partially. $100k.

Hairston OTOH has no guaranteed money in his contract.

...and no further options to the Toros.

20beastie45
07-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Great News!..good character guy...IMO, I think he has the tools to be a GREAT scorer in this league...hope i'm right and the spurs keep him for our future 2!!

ChumpDumper
07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Much closer does not mean they're equal. It's still Hairston's position to lose.And he could very well lose it to Gee.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2010, 08:43 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/07/spurs-sign-rook.html

Per the NBA's rookie salary scale, Anderson -- the 20th overall pick out of Oklahoma State -- will receive two guaranteed seasons worth a maximum of $2.825 million, with team options for the third and fourth seasons.That didn't say anything about what the contract amount actually is.

mytespurs
07-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I posted this in another thread but Dicky V aka Dick Vitale (sp?) thinks that James Anderson is one of the steals of this draft (can't remember his exact words) so that it for what it's worth.

JonNOKC
07-23-2010, 09:27 PM
interesting take on JA from DraftXpress (also interersting they had him in this article as small forward):

•James Anderson was nothing short of spectacular last season, and it shows here. His 1.07 overall PPP ranks second amongst all players, as do his 20 possessions used per-game. He was above the PPP every in every situation except for guarded catch and shoot situations, and has more experience running the pick and roll (2.9 Pos/G) than any other player on our rankings. High usage/high-efficiency players are extremely difficult to come by, and NBA teams may want to ponder if they’re missing the boat on Anderson due to the fact that he has not been spectacular in workouts. The same thing happened last year with Marcus Thornton.

at 6'6 with 6'8 wingspan and good athlete I think he can definitely put in quality minutes against most SF in league

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3503/#ixzz0uYw4Fv7N
http://www.draftexpress.com

ChumpDumper
07-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Even in real life people can mistake sarcasm for seriousness. I've been sarcastic plenty of times and people didn't get it.Was that sarcastic?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
In the interest of not adding a useless thread to this forum....

What is up with the blue messages again? I missed something...

jcrod
07-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Its definitely over used and stupid at this point.

ElNono
07-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Its definitely over used and stupid at this point.

U mad?

Bito Corleone
07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Neither of you feel the need for that 6th big* as an insurance?

* 6'11 or taller

You mean like this guy?

http://media.theonion.com/images/articles/article/2895/Shaq-article_jpg_630x463_pad-black_upscale_q85.jpg

Darkwaters
07-24-2010, 02:09 AM

That put a big grin on my face.

Obstructed_View
07-24-2010, 08:30 AM
And he could very well lose it to Gee.

He could lose it to anyone if he doesn't show any improvement or if he's tentative or if he gets hit by a bus. Doesn't change the fact that he's been better than Gee on every team they've ever been on together and that he's got a position waiting for him on the Spurs if he doesn't fuck it up.

Biggems
07-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Those were second round picks.....I wanted Torrance and wondered why he fell out of the draft...after some investigation, I found he has some back issues. I did not know this prior to the draft. If not for those back issues, I firmly believe he would have been drafted.

As for Koshwal, I still believe he would have been a great late round pick, if not a UDFA signing. He is raw offensively, but his defense and rebounding is pretty darn good. The reward would have far outweighed the risk.

I know I will continue to get bashed for showing love to both prospects...but hey, we all have late round prospects we fall in love with....some pan out, some don't.

Still, if we could have somehow found our way back into the first, Anderson and James would be a nice centerpiece for our future beyond the big 3.

kobyz
07-26-2010, 06:36 AM
per Hoopshype his first year salaries is $1,361,400

mountainballer
07-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Those were second round picks.....I wanted Torrance and wondered why he fell out of the draft...after some investigation, I found he has some back issues. I did not know this prior to the draft. If not for those back issues, I firmly believe he would have been drafted.

Torrance signed with Maccabi Tel Aniv.
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/07/maccabi-tel-aviv-close-to-sign-mikhail.html

kobyz
07-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Torrance said he wasn't got drafted because teams worried about some heart problem!

Dex
07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
In the interest of not adding a useless thread to this forum....

What is up with the blue messages again? I missed something...

Blue is the new font for sarcasm.

Russ
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm thrilled with this off-season, but with one caveat -- Anderson. Will he be a decent draft pick?

No one can yet know that. He's the most mysterious 1st round draft pick this late in the summer since Mahinmi (and it was more understandable with Ian). Even Neal seems more familiar at this point.

There is little doubt that Anderson will have to contribute right away (possibly at small forward) if the Spurs are going to contend next year.

Is he a steal or is he Chris Carrawell? Time will tell.