PDA

View Full Version : Reigning Black: Ask And You Shall Receive

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Ask And You Shall Receive
Reigning Black

Back in April, Chris Tomasson authored a piece for FanHouse revealing Richard Jefferson was indeed pondering the possibility of opting out of his contract. And as preposterous as it sounded then -- a player deemed to be underachieving and hardly worth the $14.2 million he'd earn for the performance -- Jefferson had his reasons:

"That's a situation I think every player will look at at the end of the season. I probably wouldn't make 15 (million dollars) some place, but you could somehow recoup some of that over a multi-year deal and get some guaranteed money for the next few years."

With the uncertainty of impending CBA negotiations and the very likely prospect the Players' Association will fail to improve upon the players' future contractual earnings -- in fact, it's been widely thought the players could find lower salaries, less guaranteed money and fewer years -- the feeling around free-agency has been, 'Get it while the gettin's good.'
Continue Reading >>>> (http://www.reigningblack.blogspot.com/)

m33p0
07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
hmmm.... it turned out to be a savvy move by RJ.

Blackjack
07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
A lot of people were eating crow after this. A LOT.

Nathan Explosion
07-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I knew what he was doing. He made no secret about it, saying that he wanted to a longer term deal over the last year of his contract. After all, if he got even $5 million over only 3 years he'd still make out about the same as if he stayed in his last year.

Solid D
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
I knew what he was doing. He made no secret about it, saying that he wanted to a longer term deal over the last year of his contract. After all, if he got even $5 million over only 3 years he'd still make out about the same as if he stayed in his last year.

One of the reasons he wanted a longer term deal is because there is uncertainty about the potential of work stoppage next season and the financial fall-out from it. However, a basketball player has only so many years of physical ability in him and...after the few years of his initial contract, those years of athleticim remaining need to count financially. So, the $15M this season versus 5M+5M+5M scenario you just suggested would create an early wage-earning "restrictor plate" on that athletic engine of his.

Richard Jefferson NBA Wage History
2002 $1,379,400
2003 $1,482,840
2004 $1,586,280
2005 $2,266,794
2006 $10,200,000
2007 $11,200,000
2008 $12,200,000
2009 $13,200,000
2010 $14,200,000
Estimated new contract
2011 $8,400,000
2012 $9,282,000
2013 $10,164,000
2014 $11,046,000 (option)

Blackjack
07-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Had he opted out of $15.2M for a 3-year $15M contract, no one would be eating crow.

He had to get a contract along the lines of the one he received to justify it, and credit to him, he did -- he opted out to secure his future financially and because of the looming CBA that's likely to slash salaries.

Had he opted in for the $15.2 and entered free-agency under the new parameters, he'd still have more money than a 3-year $15M contract. He had to get 3 years and about $27M to feel all right about it, and that's essentially what he got; one year extra to boot.

Solid D
07-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Had he opted in for the $15.2 and entered free-agency under the new parameters, he'd still have more money than a 3-year $15M contract. He had to get 3 years and about $27M to feel all right about it, and that's essentially what he got; one year extra to boot.

one year extra, to boot....at RJ's option at $11M. Not bad for year 13 in his career. Now, Spurs fans have to hope that RJ earns it with production.

ElNono
07-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I think there's little doubt at this point that his agent is a hustler...

ohmwrecker
07-24-2010, 09:23 PM
I think there's little doubt at this point that his agent is a hustler...

I don't know. The numbers add up a little too conveniently. This has pre-arranged, mutually beneficial deal written all over it. If RJ delivers, Splitter is as good as advertised and Bonner doesn't get any worse, it will be damn near impossible for anyone to complain about this deal. However, I'm sure some of you will find a way.

ElNono
07-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm sure it's pre-arranged. That doesn't mean his agent didn't hustle that 4th year, player option and fully guaranteed.

And as far as your second sentence, that's a lot of ifs... but as a fan I hope we do get everything right...

Blackjack
07-24-2010, 10:28 PM
one year extra, to boot....at RJ's option at $11M. Not bad for year 13 in his career. Now, Spurs fans have to hope that RJ earns it with production.

I think we just need to look at these next two years when assessing RJ's contract. The Spurs did the best they could do in terms of acquiring talent, and though RJ was one of the last players I wanted to see them trade for, they didn't have another legitimate option at the time -- and they wouldn't have landed a big-time free agent this time around, either.

The Spurs aren't viewed as the same juggernaut anymore and as their prestige wears off, the fact that they play in San Antonio begins to dissuade free agents again. When they were winning titles and Duncan was basically The Man in the league, it began to be overlooked. But not anymore.

I think we've just got to come to terms with the fact that RJ is the most talented player they could acquire. And those that are pissed that he's back and wish he had just went elsewhere, you've just got to realize without RJ the Spurs would be starting Hairston and Gee would be backing him up. They wouldn't have had the cap room to sign any of the wings that have been suggested, and they wouldn't have had anything of real value to trade to make their team better other than Tony.

For better or worse, I think what we see is what we're going to get. Not exactly, but the core (the Big 3, Hill, Blair Splitter and RJ) is what it is for the duration of Tim's final two years. There really isn't a trade that can be made to bring back the type of difference maker(s) to make them a no-doubt title contender.

They've still got a chance at contention with this group. If the youth develops/comes through, the vets play their best ball collectively at the right time and they maybe make a small, quality trade, they could get No. 5. But that's how it's going to have to be done: fortunately, and collectively.

Solid D
07-24-2010, 10:52 PM
If the youth develops/comes through, the vets play their best ball collectively at the right time and they maybe make a small, quality trade, they could get No. 5. But that's how it's going to have to be done: fortunately, and collectively.

The Spurs may not win a title but the new blood (Hill, Blair, Anderson, Splitter, Temple, Gee and Neal) may just get Pop excited enough to think twice about retiring when Timmy retires.

Blackjack
07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
I left out Anderson on accident. :(

Yeah, I'm not sure Pop leaves when Tim does. Heard him talking a while back and I didn't get that impression. I think he'd probably enjoy the chance to actually 'coach' again instead of prepare and condition, more or less.

He's been contending forever with this team and the chance to actually build and develop the youth, at a fundamental level, could be a challenge that keeps him around a little longer than expected -- I think the going out with Timmy's always been a little tongue-in-cheek, tbh.

benefactor
07-24-2010, 11:19 PM
And should Year 2 bring the calm and comfort to see Jefferson thrive as some of his Spurs predecessors?
Questioning the second year? I'm appalled.

Blackjack
07-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Questioning the second year? I'm appalled.

Wrong thread, eh?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2010, 07:44 AM
It looks like this was all set up well beforehand, and if that is the case all I have to say is ugh. Terrible FO move. Imagine what could have been had with his 15mil expiring! A lot more talent and youth than RJ has to offer us aged 30.

I see the arguments behind the signing (best available, blah blah blah), but it fills me with dread. An aging, poor fit with an immovable contract that Pop has to play because he's getting paid real bucks... exactly what the team DOESN'T need right now.

UGH.

PS I hope he outperforms, I just don't think it's likely.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 07:49 AM
The thing is, the Spurs would not have been able to sign a legitimate replacement for RJ, Splitter or Bonner (I know), if Jefferson had not opted out and restructured his deal. The money wasn't there. Is it the greatest thing that ever happened? No, but think about what the roster would look like if this hadn't been accomplished.

benefactor
07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I still can't wrap my brain around being stuck with RJ for four more years...and the fact that so many people seem to be ok with it. All those people are going to be eating a ton of crow this time next year.

ElNono
07-25-2010, 09:19 AM
The thing is, the Spurs would not have been able to sign a legitimate replacement for RJ, Splitter or Bonner (I know), if Jefferson had not opted out and restructured his deal. The money wasn't there.

How did you figure that?

They could have traded an expiring RJ midway through the season. No guarantee to pull it off, but it was an option. And Splitter could have filled Bonner's spot, so there's the replacement, and since it came from the MLE, the money was always there.

Is it the greatest thing that ever happened? No, but think about what the roster would look like if this hadn't been accomplished.

Every other player we signed we could have signed. So the rosters would look exactly the same. It would simply cost 2x due to tax implications, that's all. The difference is that you would have had the opportunity to trade RJ for different/better talent before the season ended if he didn't work out and have another run next season before TD retires. Not gonna happen now with that bloated contract.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
How did you figure that?

They could have traded an expiring RJ midway through the season. No guarantee to pull it off, but it was an option. And Splitter could have filled Bonner's spot, so there's the replacement, and since it came from the MLE, the money was always there. Every other player we signed we could have signed. So the rosters would look exactly the same. It would simply cost 2x due to tax implications, that's all.

Trading Jefferson's expiring was undoubtedly explored around the trade deadline last season and there were no takers. We didn't hear about too much interest when he opted out for FA either. If the Spurs let him walk they would have had limited money to spend on Splitter, a replacement SF and Bonner (or a replacement). This was a financially prudent way to get all the holes on the roster filled without going into tax danger.
I'm not in favor of signing Bonner to the deal he got, but obviously that was on the FO's agenda. Splitter did the Spurs a favor by taking less than expected and Bonner might have taken a little less, but with Jefferson taking less this year, the Spurs had financial flexibility to make all this happen and not have gaping holes in the roster.

Is it ideal? No, but if Jefferson walked, leaving the Spurs with only exceptions to sign Splitter, Bonner and a replacement SF (not to mention Anderson and Neal), they would be a huge step closer to rebuild mode and certainly not in contention this year. With Duncan's window sliding closed, Tony Parker in a contract year and an aging, but still committed Ginobili, abandoning the "all-in" philosophy would be disastrous.

I'm not a Jefferson fan. I'm a Spurs fan and it looks like this was, all things considered, the best option to give this team a chance at contending for the next two years.

Chieflion
07-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Trading Jefferson's expiring was undoubtedly explored around the trade deadline last season and there were no takers. We didn't hear about too much interest when he opted out for FA either. If the Spurs let him walk they would have had limited money to spend on Splitter, a replacement SF and Bonner (or a replacement). This was a financially prudent way to get all the holes on the roster filled without going into tax danger.
I'm not in favor of signing Bonner to the deal he got, but obviously that was on the FO's agenda. Splitter did the Spurs a favor by taking less than expected and Bonner might have taken a little less, but with Jefferson taking less this year, the Spurs had financial flexibility to make all this happen and not have gaping holes in the roster.

Is it ideal? No, but if Jefferson walked, leaving the Spurs with only exceptions to sign Splitter, Bonner and a replacement SF (not to mention Anderson and Neal), they would be a huge step closer to rebuild mode and certainly not in contention this year. With Duncan's window sliding closed, Tony Parker in a contract year and an aging, but still committed Ginobili, abandoning the "all-in" philosophy would be disastrous.

I'm not a Jefferson fan. I'm a Spurs fan and it looks like this was, all things considered, the best option to give this team a chance at contending for the next two years.

Your premise was faulty right from the beginning. I don't even think any NBA team considered that Jefferson would opt out of 15.2 million in the off-season because of his play in San Antonio. Therefore, there was no takers because he was not considered an expiring contract.

You were right about the rest of the parts, with Jefferson taking lesser than 15.2 million to save the team some luxury tax and of course Jefferson is the best available option, because if someone is replacing nobody, then that someone > nobody.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I still can't wrap my brain around being stuck with RJ for four more years...and the fact that so many people seem to be ok with it. All those people are going to be eating a ton of crow this time next year.

Nobody is "OK" with it, but I'm not ready to jump off a bridge over it either. If I had heard anyone come up with any other option that was remotely realistic and would have netted the Spurs a comparable, or more favorable final roster, I would have been all ears. What I did hear was a lot of whining and ZERO solutions that could have reasonably occurred.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Your premise was faulty right from the beginning. I don't even think any NBA team considered that Jefferson would opt out of 15.2 million in the off-season because of his play in San Antonio. Therefore, there was no takers because he was not considered an expiring contract.

You were right about the rest of the parts, with Jefferson taking lesser than 15.2 million to save the team some luxury tax and of course Jefferson is the best available option, because if someone is replacing nobody, then that someone > nobody.

How could nobody have known when he announced the possibility of it happening last season? The writing was on the wall with this deal. I believe there was no plan B. Not only because there were no better options, but because this deal has been in place for a while. The only reason the Spurs waited so long to ink the deal, was to see if somehow, miraculously, a better option would fall in their lap, knowing that the likelihood of that happening was minuscule. Every signing that happened this off season was made with the prearranged RJ deal in mind.

ChuckD
07-25-2010, 10:25 AM
How could nobody have known when he announced the possibility of it happening last season? The writing was on the wall with this deal. I believe there was no plan B. Not only because there were no better options, but because this deal has been in place for a while. The only reason the Spurs waited so long to ink the deal, was to see if somehow, miraculously, a better option would fall in their lap, knowing that the likelihood of that happening was minuscule. Every signing that happened this off season was made with the prearranged RJ deal in mind.

The Spurs waited "so long" because the only way RJ would get a deal good enough to leave was with a team with cap room, and a S&T would be worked out if that was the case. That would actually open up more options to replace him. With a trade exception, you can go after both FAs with S&Ts, and guys under contract with a straight up trade.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
The Spurs waited "so long" because the only way RJ would get a deal good enough to leave was with a team with cap room, and a S&T would be worked out if that was the case. That would actually open up more options to replace him. With a trade exception, you can go after both FAs with S&Ts, and guys under contract with a straight up trade.

That's exactly what I meant by "better option", but that didn't happen. You can't sign a FA with a trade exception though.

Gagnrath
07-25-2010, 11:16 AM

RJ at 14+ million a year wasn't worth it and was hugely overpaid, no one was really ok with what was going on. RJ's production was worth about 7 mil in the market conditions last year.and the reason he was worth that little was because of poor defense. If he tightens up his defense and not a huge huge amount, he is worth 9 to 10. He's not here for massive offensive production. Just a 10 and 6 or 7 guy with the occasional big game and play pretty good defense. Thats all the spurs are asking.They got 12 and 4. Playing smarter defense defense all year and not having his retarded worlds closest spectator moments on the court for some games should get him the difference in rebounds, and might actually help on offense.

The new contract brings his pay in line with though at the high end of what his reasonable production expectations should be. The production dreams for last year were a bit unreasonable. The actual product he put on the court was enough below that even jefferson was a bit embarrassed.

xellos88330
07-25-2010, 11:17 AM
For all of you with doubts about RJ, just be a fan and hope he plays well.

That is all.

ElNono
07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Trading Jefferson's expiring was undoubtedly explored around the trade deadline last season and there were no takers.

Jefferson's contract wasn't expiring last season...

We didn't hear about too much interest when he opted out for FA either.

True, however, we know why. Nobody in their right mind would outbid 4/$40m for him

If the Spurs let him walk they would have had limited money to spend on Splitter, a replacement SF and Bonner (or a replacement).

Not true. You need to learn how these exceptions work: MLE and Bird Rights.
Go read up on them then we can continue this conversation.

ElNono
07-25-2010, 03:23 PM
For all of you with doubts about RJ, just be a fan and hope he plays well.

That is all.

There would be nothing better than eat crow on RJ's performance the upcoming season for me as a fan.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Jefferson's contract wasn't expiring last season...

It wasn't immediately expiring, but it did have the opt out clause which he did exercise.

True, however, we know why. Nobody in their right mind would outbid 4/$40m for him

Apparently, nobody would rent him for $15.2 either.

Not true. You need to learn how these exceptions work: MLE and Bird Rights. Go read up on them then we can continue this conversation.

Don't be so condescending. I'm not an expert, but Bird's rights in this case only applied to RJ. Meaning the Spurs would still only have the MLE/LLE to split between Splitter and a replacement SF (which was a pretty thin FA market this year, talent-wise) and as the market has shown, that would not have been enough to get a decent replacement.

ElNono
07-25-2010, 04:44 PM
It wasn't immediately expiring, but it did have the opt out clause which he did exercise.

Which means it wasn't expiring. Meaning that if we would have traded him last season, his new team would have been potentially on the hook for this season's $15.2m...

Apparently, nobody would rent him for $15.2 either.

Because the savings weren't instantaneous. They had to wait one full season until the $15m would come off the books. That's why actually expiring contracts are valuable beyond the ability of the player.

Obviously, his talents wouldn't fetch anything over $10m/season either.

Don't be so condescending. I'm not an expert, but Bird's rights in this case only applied to RJ. Meaning the Spurs would still only have the MLE/LLE to split between Splitter and a replacement SF (which was a pretty thin FA market this year, talent-wise) and as the market has shown, that would not have been enough to get a decent replacement.

No. Birds Rights apply to anybody that's coming off a 3+ season long contract. Meaning we could extend Bonner regardless of our cap situation. And the MLE was available because we were over the salary cap minus the value of the MLE, which we were regardless of whatever RJ did. Thus, signing Splitter had nothing to with RJ either.

I'm simply not contemplating RJ walking, because he would have not done that if he didn't have that 4/40 contract in his back pocket. And if he wouldn't have opted out, we would have the exact same roster we have, paying a boatload more tax, but with a possible tradeable piece in RJ.

The FO obviously decided not to take the tax hit in exchange for renouncing the possibility of trading RJ. They obviously believe RJ can improve, and that's fine by me. I'm hoping they're absolutely right.

benefactor
07-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I would have rather rolled the dice on the youngsters and picked up a vet. As DPG has mentioned many times, RJ or no RJ is not what will make or break this team from a championship perspective.

chazley
07-25-2010, 05:13 PM
I think we just need to look at these next two years when assessing RJ's contract. The Spurs did the best they could do in terms of acquiring talent, and though RJ was one of the last players I wanted to see them trade for, they didn't have another legitimate option at the time -- and they wouldn't have landed a big-time free agent this time around, either.

The Spurs aren't viewed as the same juggernaut anymore and as their prestige wears off, the fact that they play in San Antonio begins to dissuade free agents again. When they were winning titles and Duncan was basically The Man in the league, it began to be overlooked. But not anymore.

I think we've just got to come to terms with the fact that RJ is the most talented player they could acquire. And those that are pissed that he's back and wish he had just went elsewhere, you've just got to realize without RJ the Spurs would be starting Hairston and Gee would be backing him up. They wouldn't have had the cap room to sign any of the wings that have been suggested, and they wouldn't have had anything of real value to trade to make their team better other than Tony.

For better or worse, I think what we see is what we're going to get. Not exactly, but the core (the Big 3, Hill, Blair Splitter and RJ) is what it is for the duration of Tim's final two years. There really isn't a trade that can be made to bring back the type of difference maker(s) to make them a no-doubt title contender.

They've still got a chance at contention with this group. If the youth develops/comes through, the vets play their best ball collectively at the right time and they maybe make a small, quality trade, they could get No. 5. But that's how it's going to have to be done: fortunately, and collectively.

Really good post here.

mingus
07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
going into next year the Spurs will be underdogs, a drakhorse to win the championship.

HOWEVER, no matter what any other fan says, they will always have some fear of the Spurs in the back for their minds because of the simple fact that the Spurs' core together has 3 championships, and half of it (Pop and Tim) has 4.

ElNono
07-25-2010, 06:50 PM
HOWEVER, no matter what any other fan says, they will always have some fear of the Spurs in the back for their minds

TBH, I don't think the Suns were intimidated at all last season...

Cane
07-25-2010, 06:57 PM
TBH, I don't think the Suns were intimidated at all last season...

Likewise with the Mavs :toast

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 07:30 PM
No. Birds Rights apply to anybody that's coming off a 3+ season long contract. Meaning we could extend Bonner regardless of our cap situation. And the MLE was available because we were over the salary cap minus the value of the MLE, which we were regardless of whatever RJ did. Thus, signing Splitter had nothing to with RJ either.

Right. I get Bird's rights. I didn't mention Bonner . . . the point I'm trying to make is the Spurs got Bonner, Jefferson and Splitter for less money than it would've cost to keep Jefferson on his original deal. Sure, they could have let him walk but they never would have found a comparable SF for what they had left after signing Bonner and Splitter.

ohmwrecker
07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I would have rather rolled the dice on the youngsters and picked up a vet. As DPG has mentioned many times, RJ or no RJ is not what will make or break this team from a championship perspective.

What vet though? This is what I don't get. Any decent SA FA would've wanted more money than the Spurs had to spend or they just don't have any interest in playing in San Antonio at all. It would've been interesting to see the Spurs let RJ go and roll with an Anderson/Gee/Hairston SF rotation, but that is not exactly a confidence inspiring proposition.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-25-2010, 08:34 PM
The Spurs got splitter for less money. Extending RJ and Bonner was moronic.