PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Rockets 1995 Game 2 on YouTube

ffcommish
07-25-2010, 04:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spurs+vs+rockets+1995&aq=f

You can see Game 6 starting here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1kKGo-3cxo&feature=related

Also I found some of Duncan's third game as a rookie (20 rebs vs Rodman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmw-oeJR7po (series is incomplete)

Interesting to see the games and compare them from what I remember.

The Spurs were a good team in 1995 but everything on David Robinson. From the 2.5 quarters I watched of game 2, the only play was to post up David. After that, it was Clippers basketball with a lot of effort.

Spurs shot a terrible percentage. Rodman jacked up 3-4 threes which should never have happened. Bob Hill deserved to get fired for not yelling at him after that.

Players like JR Ried, Willie "Chill" Anderson, Vinny Del Negro and Chuck Person got significant PT.

Avery actually played pretty good. He took Kenny Smith 1-1 easily a few times. Del Negro hit a few shots. Sean Elliott struggled for the most part. Rodman seemed loose which more of the Spurs needed but he wasn't contributing enough. He did hit a couple of nice layups.

In this segment, Hakeem heated up in the third quarter but David played him straight up and I left off with Hakeem with 18 and Robinson with 16.

I'm kind surprised the Spurs went into Houston and took 2 games from this team. The Rockets were smart, played well together, confident, and talented.

Clyde Drexler coming down from his prime, Mario Elie in his prime, a young and already clutch Robert Horry were key players in Game 2.

My incomplete analysis is the Spurs needed a real back court. No one could hit a shot consistently. That's what everybody used to complain about back then and it was dead on.

jaffies
07-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanx for the reminder, Rocketsfan.

My first girlfriend cheated on me in 8th grade.
You wanna bring that up, too?!?

xellos88330
07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanx for the reminder, Rocketsfan.

My first girlfriend cheated on me in 8th grade.
You wanna bring that up, too?!?

:lmao

Cheating at 8th grade. Started early huh?

Nathan89
07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I just want to know what happened to duncan's free throw shot? Everything has about it has changed.

gospursgojas
07-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Also I found some of Duncan's third game as a rookie (20 rebs vs Rodman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmw-oeJR7po (series is incomplete)

I remember Mike beat us that game with a buzzer beater or something close to that. I also remember someone asking Tim once (before MJ's wizards days) something about mj and he gave an answer like..."I never played against him so I wouldnt know"...and I remember thinking yes you did. That was the first game you lost in NBA

callo1
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I just want to know what happened to duncan's free throw shot? Everything has about it has changed.

I do too, but Timmy wasn't on the '95 Spurs team.

gospursgojas
07-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I do too, but Timmy wasn't on the '95 Spurs team.

I think they were referenceing the link for Tim's 3rd NBA game

quentin_compson
07-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Great videos. Interesting that even back then ('97), it looks like D-Rob was playing more like a PF than Duncan.

lefty
07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
lol Rockets fan

ambchang
07-26-2010, 09:32 AM
You see, according to Rockets fans, the Rockets doubled Robinson as much as the Spurs doubled Hakeem.

Also, Drexler, Elie, Cassell, and Horry are the same caliber of supporting cast as Rodman, Elliott, Johnson, and Del Negro!

FromWayDowntown
07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
The crushing thing about that Game 2 in 1995 is that it came on the heels of a Game 1 that the Spurs should have won; had Elliott made his free throws, Horry's game-winner wouldn't have mattered. To lose Game 1 like that was crushing (and eerily similar to the way that the Rockets would win Game 1 of the 1995 Finals) and game 2 had become a must win.

I haven't gone back to watch the video, but my recollection of listening to that game -- back in 1995, there were home town blackouts even into the conference finals and you could see the game in SA only by going to it or by buying it on pay-per-view -- is that Rodman's ill-advised chucking came early and basically buried the Spurs before they really had a chance to gain any confidence after such a bad loss. Certainly, it wasn't all on Rodman, but his decisions didn't help much.

Players like JR Ried, Willie "Chill" Anderson, Vinny Del Negro and Chuck Person got significant PT.

The Willie Anderson time in that game is the really curious decision. Reid and Person were big minutes guys all year. Del Negro, of course, started 70+ regular season games and every playoff game. J.R. Reid essentially became the Spurs' Rodman Insurance as the season progressed -- for good or for bad. And there has always been a good argument that a significant reason for the Spurs' demise in 1995 was Person's inability to maintain his regular season accuracy from behind the arc.

But the 27 minutes that Willie Anderson got in that Game 2 have always been a curious decision for me. Over the course of the 1995 playoffs, Willie only played 97 minutes (in 11 games) with 27 of those coming in Game 2 against Houston. To put that number in context, Willie played 27 minutes in Game 2 and played a total of 29 minutes over the other 5 games of that series. It's not like Willie had shown something in the few minutes he'd gotten heading into that game; he hadn't made a shot in almost a full month; he hadn't played in a game against Houston all year (save for the minute he played in Game 1). But, for whatever reason, in the game that probably was the most crucial for that team, Willie Anderson got 27 minutes and, unsurprisingly, the Spurs lost.

ffcommish
07-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I watched the second half of Game 6 and the Spurs had that game. The Spurs fell behind by 10-11 in the fourth but chipped away 4 points and then Doc Rivers scored 7 straight points to tie it up. It was a pretty clutch performance.

The Rockets attacked David with ferocity in the 4th. They collapsed on him with 3, sometimes 4 players. However, David had a very makeable lefty layup/hook that he blew off the back iron and clanked two free throws - all which would have made a huge difference.

Hakeem had at least 38 points in the game but as soon as the Spurs started sending a genuine double team, the Rockets offense bogged down for the most part.

Horry put the Rockets over the top in that series. He hit 6 three pointers in game 6. I know he missed 1 but that may have been it. In the end, he scored a huge 20 points.

Avery, Del Negro, and Elliott hit some big shots in Game 6 but couldn't knock anything down with consistency. Avery's ability to penetrate in the paint was pretty awesome for his size.

Bob Hill was all too happy to meet with Jim Gray for a nationally televised interview afterwards. The interview was after the standard star(s) of the game interview with Hakeem/Clyde. I don't recall a coach of the conference finals doing an on the court interview immediately after the loss. Hill made sure the blame went to David and "execution". He pretty much absolved himself of any wrong doing which wasn't the case.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
The Willie Anderson time in that game is the really curious decision. Reid and Person were big minutes guys all year. Del Negro, of course, started 70+ regular season games and every playoff game. J.R. Reid essentially became the Spurs' Rodman Insurance as the season progressed -- for good or for bad. And there has always been a good argument that a significant reason for the Spurs' demise in 1995 was Person's inability to maintain his regular season accuracy from behind the arc.

But the 27 minutes that Willie Anderson got in that Game 2 have always been a curious decision for me. Over the course of the 1995 playoffs, Willie only played 97 minutes (in 11 games) with 27 of those coming in Game 2 against Houston. To put that number in context, Willie played 27 minutes in Game 2 and played a total of 29 minutes over the other 5 games of that series. It's not like Willie had shown something in the few minutes he'd gotten heading into that game; he hadn't made a shot in almost a full month; he hadn't played in a game against Houston all year (save for the minute he played in Game 1). But, for whatever reason, in the game that probably was the most crucial for that team, Willie Anderson got 27 minutes and, unsurprisingly, the Spurs lost.

It may have had something to do with Willie's tendency to play well against the Rockets. I remember an '89 game (I think) where he basically went T-Mac on the Rockets in Houston to win the game for us. He hit this crazy spinning shot at the top of the key with no time left.

spurs1990
07-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Ahhh...the bloody 1995 season.

I would have loved to see DRob and DRod and VDel and co face Shaq and Nickel in the Finals.

If only Vernon Maxwell hadn't gone up into the stands in February 1995, Houston would have never made the Drexler trade, and the Spurs would have breezed through the West.

1995 world champions San Antonio Spurs

gospursgojas
07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I watched that game at my cousins bday party at Peter Pipers on Fair Ave...damn photographic memory

Admiral
08-01-2010, 09:02 PM
The Bulls' announcers back then were the two biggest homers ever. They were horrible. Jordan never committed a foul. No Bull ever did. I frequently wanted to throw something at the TV when watching them.

I don't want to think about the '95 WCF against the Rockets. We would have won that series with decent coaching.

gospursgojas
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
The Bulls' announcers back then were the two biggest homers ever. They were horrible. Jordan never committed a foul. No Bull ever did. I frequently wanted to throw something at the TV when watching them.

I don't want to think about the '95 WCF against the Rockets. We would have won that series with decent coaching.

The refs agreed. (See Bryon Russell blatant push off)