PDA

View Full Version : wrong time no post-San Antonio in Korea

draft87
07-25-2010, 09:05 AM
hey everybody! hope yr summer is well. today i stumbled across something that made me miss the states and of course, look forward to the 2011 season. ....

so i walked across the street to my neighborhood cornerstore/bodega and i saw a huge bag of corn chips with english printed on the bag. i was super pumped because korean corn is dry and chewy compared to that of the northeast u.s. i really miss american corn. anyway, i grabbed a bag and turned it around to see if it really was american and i see that it's from san antonio, texas!

do you folks eat Rico's?

says here,
Rico's Products co., INC
621 south flores
san antonio, texas 78204

they must have some decent export deal going on cuz the bag has a hangul(korean) version of the nutrition facts(usually imported products just have a sticker slapped on)

anyway, i hope you all have a great summer and i'll be sure to visit before the fall.

NRHector
07-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I do, the nachos my favorite, take care over there :toast

Brazil
07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
take care draft87

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2010, 10:00 AM
wat are you doing in south korea?

Darkwaters
07-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Sweet. I'm moving to South Korea in about a year. Where do you live? Seoul?

I haven't been to Korea in nearly 10 years.

Nathan89
07-25-2010, 10:23 AM
what are you doing in North Korea?:wow

silverblk mystix
07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
korean women are beautiful

i envy you

Doctor J
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
It's good to know you, draft87.

I was born in Seoul, Korea, now am living in Sydney, Australia.

I have been a George Gervin / Spurs fan since 1977.

gospursgojas
07-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I find it a little bit funny that he would even have to ask if we eat rico's is SA.

Good luck bro :toast

msuh27
07-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I was born in Korea too. And yes, the Spurs are my favorite team. Are you getting used to the soju?

GSH
07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
When you go to a ball game or special event in this part of the country, and you get those nachos with the melted cheese poured over them, the chips and the cheese are usually both made by Rico's. Same for most of the theaters.

You made me laugh a little, thinking about being in that same situation. I remember being thrilled to find actual Kraft macaroni and cheese. A couple of times we found Old El Paso flour tortillas that were vacuum packed. They were old and dry, and cost the equivalent of about $8.00 for a 10-pack, and we were still happy to get them. The food we normally got was fine. Some of it was great. But it was still nice to find a little piece of home once in a while.

BTW - we listened to every single Spurs game via the Internet. Sometimes it meant keeping some crazy hours, and people thought we were crazy. But it was great.

draft87
07-26-2010, 02:09 AM
When you go to a ball game or special event in this part of the country, and you get those nachos with the melted cheese poured over them, the chips and the cheese are usually both made by Rico's. Same for most of the theaters.

You made me laugh a little, thinking about being in that same situation. I remember being thrilled to find actual Kraft macaroni and cheese. A couple of times we found Old El Paso flour tortillas that were vacuum packed. They were old and dry, and cost the equivalent of about $8.00 for a 10-pack, and we were still happy to get them. The food we normally got was fine. Some of it was great. But it was still nice to find a little piece of home once in a while.

BTW - we listened to every single Spurs game via the Internet. Sometimes it meant keeping some crazy hours, and people thought we were crazy. But it was great.

wow, thanks to all you folks for your responses. it was nice to hear from you.

glad you got a chuckle out of my experience. folks here were like, "but yr not from san antonio." and i was like, "i don't care THIS IS AWESOME."

i spent most of my life in pennsylvania. there's a bakery chain called "Paris Baguette" here and they sometimes carry Snyder's of Hanover(pa) pretzels. That place is like 90 minutes from where i live in the states, we eat them pretty regularly at home. and even though it's totally overpriced, yeah like you said, sometimes a small of piece of home is worth a lot.

I was born in Korea too. And yes, the Spurs are my favorite team. Are you getting used to the soju?

It's good to know you, draft87.

I was born in Seoul, Korea, now am living in Sydney, Australia.

I have been a George Gervin / Spurs fan since 1977.

what a nice surprise-fellow korean spurs fans. i too was born in seoul, korea. shortly after i moved to new york and became a us citizen. i visit korea every few years.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2010, 02:45 AM
ok u koreans, post up pics of ur beautiful gfs, dont bother with the female group kpop pics, cause i know whose who....

draft87
07-26-2010, 03:14 AM
ok u koreans, post up pics of ur beautiful gfs, dont bother with the female group kpop pics, cause i know whose who....

pfft :p:

funny how things work. dudes here are always asking me about the 'paegins'(pronounced almost like 'pagan' and means 'white persons)
and they mean they want to know about the white girls i've dated. dudes here are crazy about the images of voluptuous latinas and wild white girls they see on tv.

and of course i've got you guys bugging me about the talent over here!

maybe i'll send you something but my initial reaction is usually, "get away from our women!"

i settled down and married my kind so whatever images go on the net, both my wife and my sister are 100% off limits!

20beastie45
07-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Say it with me .......

"Ricos"

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2010, 03:58 AM
pfft :p:

funny how things work. dudes here are always asking me about the 'paegins'(pronounced almost like 'pagan' and means 'white persons)
and they mean they want to know about the white girls i've dated. dudes here are crazy about the images of voluptuous latinas and wild white girls they see on tv.

and of course i've got you guys bugging me about the talent over here!

maybe i'll send you something but my initial reaction is usually, "get away from our women!"

i settled down and married my kind so whatever images go on the net, both my wife and my sister are 100% off limits!

ur wife and sister korean?

sarang-hae? aegyo now

draft87
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
what are you doing in North Korea?:wow

har har, you make a funny. ...

good one :toast

you know many people ask me, "north or south?" and are genuinely concerned? like, they really want to know when to talk friendly or pull out a knife based on my answer.....

Sweet. I'm moving to South Korea in about a year. Where do you live? Seoul?

I haven't been to Korea in nearly 10 years.

yes, i'm in seoul. i live in a blue-collar neighborhood called "Gaebong" ...yeah yeah make a joke..... even better when referring to it officially it's "Gaebong-dong" ............just shut up now :nope

will you be teaching?

wat are you doing in south korea?

i'm teaching english. in the morning i teach 19-40. and in the afternoon i teach middle school/high school. this semester i have my schedule worked out so i can get home, change and go play basketball at a park a few miles away. pick up games in korea are actually kinda cool. few things to know:

1. considering that the junior league/aau/high school team/college system doesn't exist and most kids have no way to learn the sport besides watching it, there are still a lot of really talented/skilled players here. plenty of dudes have solid fundamentals and can run plays that i learned in aau.

2. a lot of people think koreans are small. not true. yes, most elderly koreans are pretty darn short but those are the ones who survived the war and/or weren't killed by japan. a couple generations later and kids are sprouting tall and strong. yeah, i'm 5'5" but my sister is 5'8" and my brother is 6'2". the average guy at the court is 6'0" and built. there's mandatory military service and dudes come out totally cut after two years. there's also a dozen or so high school kids that are easily 6'1"+.

i actually came home about an hour ago a little bummed because it was so crowded tonight that i had to wait about 35 minutes between games. we had to play half court so there weren't 20 people standing on the sideline for an hour. i can't really complain though since i can't even get that many people to show up at the gym in the states, let alone outside at a court in 90 degree weather with ridiculous humidity.

anyway, some of you may be wondering, it's about 11pm tuesday night right now. i've been here a while so i forget where we are in daylight savings but i think that makes it between 8 and 9am tuesday morning in san antonio?

Darkwaters
07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
har har, you make a funny. ...

yes, i'm in seoul. i live in a blue-collar neighborhood called "Gaebong" ...yeah yeah make a joke..... even better when referring to it officially it's "Gaebong-dong" ............just shut up now :nope

will you be teaching?

Nope. Sitting on the DMZ most likely!

Actually, I'm probably going to be running one of the hospitals up there maybe in Yangsan.

nkdlunch
07-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I feel soly for youl mothel

Sway
07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
i'm teaching english. in the morning i teach 19-40. and in the afternoon i teach middle school/high school. this semester i have my schedule worked out so i can get home, change and go play basketball at a park a few miles away. pick up games in korea are actually kinda cool. few things to know:

1. considering that the junior league/aau/high school team/college system doesn't exist and most kids have no way to learn the sport besides watching it, there are still a lot of really talented/skilled players here. plenty of dudes have solid fundamentals and can run plays that i learned in aau.

2. a lot of people think koreans are small. not true. yes, most elderly koreans are pretty darn short but those are the ones who survived the war and/or weren't killed by japan. a couple generations later and kids are sprouting tall and strong. yeah, i'm 5'5" but my sister is 5'8" and my brother is 6'2". the average guy at the court is 6'0" and built. there's mandatory military service and dudes come out totally cut after two years. there's also a dozen or so high school kids that are easily 6'1"+.

i actually came home about an hour ago a little bummed because it was so crowded tonight that i had to wait about 35 minutes between games. we had to play half court so there weren't 20 people standing on the sideline for an hour. i can't really complain though since i can't even get that many people to show up at the gym in the states, let alone outside at a court in 90 degree weather with ridiculous humidity.

anyway, some of you may be wondering, it's about 11pm tuesday night right now. i've been here a while so i forget where we are in daylight savings but i think that makes it between 8 and 9am tuesday morning in san antonio?

Hey man I just arrived in Korea about 6 weeks ago. Im up in Pyongtaek-Si but I go up to Seoul almost every weekend. Do you know of any decent Sports Bars in the area? How about some places for some pick up games?

draft87
07-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Hey man I just arrived in Korea about 6 weeks ago. Im up in Pyongtaek-Si but I go up to Seoul almost every weekend. Do you know of any decent Sports Bars in the area? How about some places for some pick up games?

don't know any good bars but the pickup games at Guro Sports Complex are pretty good.

pm me and we can coordinate something next time you make it to seoul. my friends speak english so it'll be easy to join.