PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Bulls prepared to add Mcgrady

BullsDynasty
07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5408617

Source: Bulls prepared to add McGrady

The Bulls are prepared to sign Tracy McGrady if he proves to be sufficiently healthy in a workout Monday and can convince the team he is willing to accept a bench role, one source familiar with Chicago's thinking said Sunday.

McGrady
"Nothing is done until it's done, but I expect the Bulls to sign McGrady later this week," the source said.

Another unknown is what kind of contract McGrady can command from the Bulls. But McGrady has said money and years are not priorities after earning nearly $23 million last season with Houston and New York.

Although he has expressed interest in snagging one of the spots on Miami's bench in support of the LeBron James-Dwyane Wade-Chris Bosh triumvirate and he auditioned for the Los Angeles Clippers last week, Chicago is undeniably where McGrady has been hoping to wind up.

McGrady made his desires evident in several recent messages on his Twitter feed, including his pronouncements Saturday that he has "unfinished business" with the Bulls and that it "could be fate this time round" with Chicago after drawing serious interest from the Bulls in the 1997 draft and again during free agency in 2000.

It obviously doesn't hurt McGrady's chances that Bulls star Derrick Rose told ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell on Friday that the idea of signing McGrady -- Rose's favorite player as a kid -- has his full support.

"That would be good," Rose said. "I think that if he comes along, he could help our team.

"A player like him, with his experience and how he plays, I think it would help us."

McGrady, 31, would be Chicago's sixth acquisition this offseason, joining Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, C.J. Watson and Kurt Thomas.

As ESPN.com reported earlier this week, McGrady's highly publicized trip to Los Angeles to work out for the Clippers was as much to nudge the Bulls closer to signing him as it was to try and impress L.A., which appears to no longer have an opening for McGrady after the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday that the Clippers are bringing back Rasual Butler.

The seven-time All-Star was limited to 30 games last season in his recovery from microfracture surgery on his left knee. He averaged 9.4 points, 3.9 assists and 26.1 minutes in 24 starts for the Knicks, who acquired the two-time scoring champion from Houston in a three-way deal in February.

"He's good," Rose said. "He's a player. If he just gives us half of what he's got, we'll be all right.

"But I know a player like him, he's going to go out there and give us his all, but he'll definitely help us if we get him on the team."

ESPN.com also reported last week that Miami is hesitant to sign high-profile names like McGrady or Shaquille O'Neal for its bench, preferring low-key additions whom won't complicate the overhauled Heat's quest for fast-developing chemistry or encroach on the James/Wade/Bosh spotlight.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Booharv
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Rose was a huge Jordan Bulls fan growing up from what I've read. Since this article states McGrady was his favorite player as a kid, he must have jumped off the Bulls bandwagon after Jordan retired.

BullsDynasty
07-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Rose was a huge Jordan Bulls fan growing up from what I've read. Since this article states McGrady was his favorite player as a kid, he must have jumped off the Bulls bandwagon after Jordan retired.

He liked Mcgrady between 2000-2003. He said after that it was Lebron who was his fav player.

JMarkJohns
07-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Quality facilitator off the bench, but they still need another consistent 40% from range shooter.

Booharv
07-25-2010, 03:03 PM
He liked Mcgrady between 2000-2003. He said after that it was Lebron who was his fav player.

lol frontrunner. Jordan till he retired, McGrady, then Lebron.

BullsDynasty
07-25-2010, 03:09 PM
lol frontrunner. Jordan till he retired, McGrady, then Lebron.

Whats wrong with having a favorite player? Doesn't mean he jumped ships.....

noob cake
07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Quality facilitator off the bench, but they still need another consistent 40% from range shooter.

fixed: Quality 21.5 ft jumpshooter

Lars
07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I think McGrady has been scapegoated.

I hope he is successful there.

JMarkJohns
07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
fixed: Quality 21.5 ft jumpshooter

Yeah... I wasn't saying McGrady was their answer from range. I said, beyond this signing, they need another consistent shooter from range because Watson and McGrady aren't consistent.

Chillen
07-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I am ok with McGrady as long as he doesn't bring an attitude and wants to fill a role and help this team win basketball games in the regular season and playoffs. A bench role to start the season with 15 to 20 minutes a game might be good for him to get acclimated with what the Bulls want to do and also condition him for the playoffs. This could be a huge signing for the Bulls if he plays well.

HarlemHeat37
07-25-2010, 04:22 PM
McGrady would have had to have made some huge strides during this off-season to be considered a good addition..if you don't pay much, I guess it's a low-risk/high-reward type, but he was really bad in New York last year..

He was one of the worst isolation players in the league..he shot 30% from the field in iso situations, turned it over on almost 20% of his isolation plays, and only scored on 27% of the overall amount of iso plays..he has very little ability to beat his man off the dribble anymore..

He was also one of the worst spot-up shooters in the entire league..he shot 29% in spot-up situations..

His only offensive asset is his pick and roll play..he still scores at a decent level in the p&r, but his passing is pretty much his only strength right now from an offensive standpoint..

Again, maybe he has worked out really hard and gotten into better shape, but he was really bad last year..

Defensively, he was horrible any time he had to move..his lateral quickness is completely gone..

McGrady's name is more valuable than his actual play at this point..

Bullfan
07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
McGrady would have had to have made some huge strides during this off-season to be considered a good addition..if you don't pay much, I guess it's a low-risk/high-reward type, but he was really bad in New York last year..

He was one of the worst isolation players in the league..he shot 30% from the field in iso situations, turned it over on almost 20% of his isolation plays, and only scored on 27% of the overall amount of iso plays..he has very little ability to beat his man off the dribble anymore..

He was also one of the worst spot-up shooters in the entire league..he shot 29% in spot-up situations..

His only offensive asset is his pick and roll play..he still scores at a decent level in the p&r, but his passing is pretty much his only strength right now from an offensive standpoint..

Again, maybe he has worked out really hard and gotten into better shape, but he was really bad last year..

Defensively, he was horrible any time he had to move..his lateral quickness is completely gone..

McGrady's name is more valuable than his actual play at this point..

:lmao is a 4 time champion really trying to give his advice to a six time one? We Bulls fans have the championship experience to know good moves, and this is a great one.

BullsDynasty
07-25-2010, 06:24 PM
:lmao is a 4 time champion really trying to give his advice to a six time one? We Bulls fans have the championship experience to know good moves, and this is a great one.

:lol

MavDynasty
07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
O96jSp4StOc

hitmanyr2k
07-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Speak for yourself Bulls troll :lol . I don't want McGrady. It's bad enough we got Boozer's no-defense playing ass. Adding McGrady is just another clusterfuck move. He's done. He's been done for a long time now and even when he wasn't done he still played no defense anyway. And I doubt he's going to accept limited minutes without some whining to go along with it.

picc84
07-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Will be a huge mistake. He'll be a spark for them for the first half of the season, then start to slow down as his knee begins to break down again, and by the time the playoffs come around he'll either be in street clothes on the bench or playing 10 minutes a game and being a bigger defensive liability than Korver.

Bulls should have gone all in for Joe Johnson when they had the chance.

Red Hawk #21
07-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I really like what the Bulls have done this off-season, but I don't feel they need Mcgrady. I think he's close to done at this point.

SomeCallMeTim
07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I really like what the Bulls have done this off-season, but I don't feel they need Mcgrady. I think he's close to done at this point.

Seems destined for bench fodder, which would be fine except McGrady won't be OK with that. Doubt he makes it through the season with the team because of that.

SenorSpur
07-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck.

ducks
07-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Will be a huge mistake. He'll be a spark for them for the first half of the season, then start to slow down as his knee begins to break down again, and by the time the playoffs come around he'll either be in street clothes on the bench or playing 10 minutes a game and being a bigger defensive liability than Korver.

Bulls should have gone all in for Joe Johnson when they had the chance.
joe johnson for the max:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

eisfeld
07-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Would be a nice, low risk addition for the Bulls at a position they really need help at. If T-Mac can stay healthy most of the season and accepts a minor role off the bench it's definitely a great move.