PDA

View Full Version : Video: How good was Alonzo Gee at Summer League?

nbaman99
07-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Alonzo Gee of the San Antonio Spurs was one of the frequently mentioned standouts at the Las Vegas Summer League this year. With injuries to the Spurs’ DeJuan Blair, James Anderson and Garrett Temple, and the last minute scratch of Malik Hairston from the roster, Gee became “the man” on the team.

And those his numbers during the week (14.2 points per game, 5.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 2.4 steals and 33% from 3-point range) were solid, was it enough for him to make the Spurs roster this season?

Well, after re-signing Richard Jefferson and adding Gary Neal, the perimeter rotation is awfully crowded. And with one year of D-League eligibility left, Alonzo Gee may very well be the odd man out.

And with San Antonio’s roster moves, a stat line alone isn’t enough to get Gee a roster spot. His team defense and capacity for hitting the corner 3-pointer are way more important to Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich and Co.

So in today’s video, we look at how Alonzo Gee’s summer league was in terms of what the Spurs were probably looking for.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/07/26/alonzo-gee-san-antonio-spurs-las-vegas-summer-league/

wildbill2u
07-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Interesting vid. Most highlight vids give only the good plays. This one highlighted the bad ones.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
good vid; cements my view that Hairston will be the back-up SF on the roster, and one of Jerrels and Gee will be cut with the other sent back to the Toros

ElNono
07-26-2010, 01:56 PM
After the first SL game, when Pop was interviewed, he did mention that Alonzo still needs work on his shooting, which was somewhat evident as the games progressed. When he was able to drive to the basket, he was at times downright dominant. His defense was also very, very good. He played the passing lines well, and I thought he used his fouls judiciously for the most part.

widowmaker
07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
good vid; cements my view that Hairston will be the back-up SF on the roster, and one of Jerrels and Gee will be cut with the other sent back to the Toros

Sorry if im missing something but dose anybody have a real justification why Hairston belong on this team?

Anonymous Cowherd
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
he's the second-best SF that Spurs have under contract?

mazerrackham
07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry if im missing something but dose anybody have a real justification why Hairston belong on this team?

He's had some playing time at SF (albeit only a little) and the Spurs were happy enough with him to not make him play in Summer League. Those facts with the lack of backup SF on the roster...

Texas_Ranger
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Hairston is not even a SF.

mazerrackham
07-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Hairston is not even a SF.

He wouldn't be normally, but he's played there some. Bogans isn't really a true SF either, but he spent a lot of time their last season.

Solid D
07-26-2010, 04:13 PM
He wouldn't be normally, but he's played there some. Bogans isn't really a true SF either, but he spent a lot of time their last season.

Oh yeah, Bogans and Hairston have played 3, and even in some instances Hairston played the 4. Pop has gone small many, many, many times over the past several years.

When the Spurs didn't dress Duncan, Finley and Parker a couple of years ago on a 2nd game of a b2b in Denver, Malik defended Carmelo and played the 3...I think Udoka played the 4 some of that game. Pop just does that.

Any player that is 6-6 and can play tough defensively is fair game positionally with Pop.

The Great Fantastic
07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I really liked Malik in that Denver game that he went up against Carmelo. He was hitting the boards hard and was getting very physical with Melo. Melo is no slouch and can't be pushed around too much but Malik was giving him short fits.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Hairston definitely has talent and length to play the three in the NBA, and basically showed it two preseasons ago when he handled Tayshaun Prince and the aforementioned performance against Carmelo. He came out of the draft overweight and I've been waiting for him to take his big NBA money and eat his way out of the league. So far, thanks to playing almost year round, that hasn't happened. He should have gotten rotation minutes last season to see what he had, but Pop seemed to think scrub vets were the better way to go. Hopefully this season we find out what he's got before the season starts so he can either get minutes or become someone else's problem.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
where is the tyler wilerson dunk on hasem thabeet im still looking for it

SpursTillTheEnd
07-26-2010, 04:46 PM
wtf is wrong with yall haristons d is fucking monster did yall even watch any games this dude got a block everytime he came in

Obstructed_View
07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
where is the tyler wilerson dunk on hasem thabeet im still looking for it

Gee, did it ever occur to you to check the official NBA page from the actual game where it happened? Silly, I know.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100718/SASMEM/gameinfo.html

Video highlights to the right. See the one called "powerful facial".

Borosai
07-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I still (sort of) remember watching Hairston, as a rookie (I think), defend Lebron well, and block his jumpshot. At the top. The guy should be able to hold his own, but he needs minutes to prove it. I wanna see him succeed though.