PDA

View Full Version : Pooh Jeter signs with the Sacramento Kings

LakeShow
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
He finally made it. Congrats Kinfolk! :toast

http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/?gcid=C12289x022&gtkw=Cowbell+Kingdom

Kings Bring Two Guards For Depth
July 23rd, 2010Noam Schiller1 comment
After standing pat for three weeks and watching rival NBA GMs battle for the right to overpay free agents of various pedigree, Geoff Petrie has finally addressed the King’s glaring lack of backcourt depth in the form of Antoine Wright and Pooh Jeter. Lets take a look at what the two might bring to the table.

At 26 years old and 5 years into his NBA career, Antoine Wright is what he is at this point – a good to great defender that will give you little, if anything, on the offensive end. Tom Ziller had a fantastic breakdown of Wright’s defensive abilities at Sactown Royalty, which requires no elaboration on my part. He should compete with Donte Greene for the title of the Kings’ go-to wing defender.

On offense, though, things start to get ugly. Wright has posted a PER of 8.63 for two consecutive seasons, after posting 0.70, 8.18 and 8.46, respectively, in his first three years. Say what you want about PER – it certainly has it’s faults – but a player who consistently posts a mark in the eights probably isn’t the answer to anyone’s hopes and prayers. The same goes with Wright’s true shooting percentage (hovering around 50 for 4 straight seasons).

The Kings’ main needs from a guard were ball handling and long range shooting. Wright gives neither. He has posted 1 assist and 0.8 turnovers per game throughout his career, and is a 30% career three point shooter, although he bumped that up to 33.5% last season. He gets a little better shooting long twos – he made 43% of his shots from 16 to 23 feet last year, after making 48% in 08-09. He also struggles at the line, shooting 67% for his career and 68% last season on only 1.2 attempts per game.

All in all, Wright should be considered a temporary stopgap, and the one year deal he signed should tell as much. He’ll give the Kings some hard nosed defense from the 2 and the 3, and will hopefully hit some outside shots with Tyreke and Run DMC setting him up. However, he should not be part of the rotation as far as long term plans go. The solid defense just isn’t enough to justify it, especially since Donte Greene has shown the potential to be a better defender with an actual offensive game. To be completely honest, I would have rather this roster spot go for a D-Leaguer or a summer league guy who might have some untapped potential, as opposed to Wright, who is extremely unlikely to show up at training camp boasting some new and extraordinary skill.

Moving on to Jeter, I must warn you that I am very nearly incapable of being objective regarding this guy. Not only is he nicknamed Pooh – and it’s not like Derrick Rose, who says it’s his nickname but never really uses it, this guy actually goes by the name Pooh – but he spent most of the 09-10 season with my beloved Hapoel Jerusalem, and was one of my favorite players to watch. Having said that, I think this is an absolute steal.

Generously listed at 5’11”, Jeter is a scoring point guard. His release is lighting quick, which makes him a very good shooter off the pick and roll, not unlike current King Beno Udrih. He also has virtually unlimited range. As someone who has spent the past season watching him play live, I can attest that I have never seen him take a shot that I didn’t think was going in. Of course, some of them don’t – 60% of them, last season – but this shows you that he has unlimited confidence in his game. Don’t let the 25% he shot from three in summer league fool you – the man can light it up.

Need proof? Jeter was responsible for one of the greatest performances in Israeli basketball. On March 27th, against Hapoel Afula, he went off for 39 points (remember, in a 40 minute game), while shooting – get a load of this – 13 for 14 from the field, including 9 of 10 (!!!!) from three. Yup. I know. If that’s not enough for you, one of those threes was a game winner, as Jerusalem won 102-99. Jeter has shown his clutch ability in summer league as well, hitting a game winner for the Cavs against the Bulls (go here for a breakdown of the play by the fantastic Sebastian Pruiti).

Despite being primarily a scorer, Jeter is still a very capable ball handler. His assist numbers with Hapoel won’t knock your socks off – 2.6 per game in European play, 1.6 in the Israeli league – but trust me when I tell you that hardly tells the full story. European play rarely has bloated assist numbers (even Ricky Rubio had just over 5 per game in Euroleague play), probably due to stricter scorekeepers and less minutes as much as style of play. Jeter consistently gave Hapoel a calm ball handler, and set up the offense better than anyone else on the team. He showed as much at summer league as well, averaging 5.4 assists per game.

On the downside, Jeter’s confidence can lead to him becoming a bit trigger happy, and is a major flaw in his ball handling resume. Jeter did a good job controlling this at summer league, but at Hapoel, he had a tendency to take multiple bad PUJITs and heat checks. And when those didn’t go in, he hurt his team not just by the wasted possessions. As his shot goes, so does his game, and though he is calm and collected, shooting slumps can throw him off his game both as a shooter and a ball handler. This could be something to look out for – in an 82 game season, Jeter will have bad shooting nights, and will need to find other ways to contribute. If he keeps the contested pull ups to a minimum, he should be a very solid option at the point.

Defensively, Jeter’s size is obviously a major concern. While he was one of Hapoel’s better perimeter defenders – he’s lightning quick and stronger than he appears – the NBA has so much more size than anything Hapoel played against that it’s hard to take too much from it. He works his tail off all night long, which earns him a couple of deflections a night, and helps him collect more rebounds than you would expect from a man his size. But all the hard work in the world can’t compensate for the size advantage that almost every guard in the league should enjoy over him. I’m hoping that he shows the same defensive ability he did at Hapoel, but I may be too optimistic. It’s highly unlikely that he will be able to do anything against Chauncey Billups or Deron Williams type guards in the post, so he will probably be best defensively against quicker guys, and not back-to-the-basket beasts.

I realize that it’s kind of absurd that I’ve come off as more optimistic about the summer league addition than the 5 year NBA veteran. However, I truly believe that Pooh is an NBA level player. Yes, I’ve seen Pooh against much inferior competition, and the one skill he lacks the most (size) is probably the one most important to an NBA player. But he is such an athletic freak (it runs in the family – sister Carmelita holds the second best time ever in the women’s 100 meter dash) and has so much skill that I don’t see why it can’t translate. Even if it doesn’t, I love this move by Petrie. There is absolutely no risk involved. If Pooh shows that NBA level competition is too much for him, than he’s still just a third string point guard. If, however, he shows the same explosiveness he has shown in front of me in Israel, the Kings have acquired a legit NBA talent for nothing at all.

That would be my bet.

Giuseppe
07-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Kings, gettin' their caca together, eh?

We buried these fucks once.

C'mon, come get some.

Shank
07-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Oh shit! An Antoine Wright sighting!

LakeShow
07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Kings, gettin' their caca together, eh?

We buried these fucks once.

C'mon, come get some.

If the Kings even dream about beating the Lakers they'd better wake up and apologize. :lol

I am now a fan because of my people playing for them. I'll pull for them against everybody except the purple and gold.

Giuseppe
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
The Magoofs will instill the same envy & resolve in these guys as they did in the old stead.

& we'll stick in 'em in the same hole we stuck the old stead in.

The f'in humps.

LakeShow
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/kings/index_main.html (http://www.nba.com/kings/index_main.html)

http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mediadayrecap280.jpg

http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/kingstc_day1_280.jpg

My boy looks good in a Sacramento Kings Jersey. :toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Damn if that's Cousins to the far left he's trimmed down a lot.

LakeShow
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Damn if that's Cousins to the far left he's trimmed down a lot.

Yeah that's him. He looks Great.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah that's him. He looks Great.
And on the other end Hassan Whiteside looks like he's bulked up a little bit. If those two show up then the Kings are basically the new Thunder.

LakeShow
09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
And on the other end Hassan Whiteside looks like he's bulked up a little bit. If those two show up then the Kings are basically the new Thunder.

Their goal is making the playoffs. Their attitude has changed considerably. They have the talent to be good this season. Youth and lack of experience may be the only drawback.

Phillip
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM

fyi - lakeshow is a longtime target of the RK. he is a rockets fan who poses as a lakers fan here to talk shit to spurs fans. truly, the lowest of lows. he needs to be scoffed

Latarian Milton
09-29-2010, 09:48 AM
fyi - lakeshow is a longtime target of the RK. he is a rockets fan who poses as a lakers fan here to talk shit to spurs fans. truly, the lowest of lows. he needs to be scoffed

being a rocket fans says a lot, and it's quite obvious that the fact that he is a rockets fan says much more than what he can say himself by mouth.

Ashy Larry
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
when did Pooh Richardson and Derek Jeter have a kid???

LakeShow
09-29-2010, 10:51 AM

What's up Inchworm(stretch)? You have another alias? Get a life dog, I know its tough with an inch of dick to work with but gay boys shouldn't mind. You rotten fish smelling MF. :lol

LakeShow
09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
when did Pooh Richardson and Derek Jeter have a kid???

:lol

LakeShow
10-08-2010, 01:52 PM
http://mpmcneal.blogspot.com/2010/10/kings-jeter-is-little-man-making-huge.html

:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast

Monday, October 4, 2010

Kings Jeter is little man making huge impressions

It’s impossible to know how good Kings rookie guard Eugene (Pooh) Jeter (that’s Jet-er, not as in Derek Gee-ter) will become.

However, two facts so far are undeniable. Jeter will not be out-worked. And he has impressed, personally and professionally, everyone who has been around him.

Kings coach Paul Westphal may have seen Jeter up close and personally more than anyone in the organization. Westphal was coaching Pepperdine when Jeter was playing for Portland State.

The coach said he didn’t know Jeter, but did recognize his talents.

“He was a great scorer,” Westphal said of the 26-year-old Jeter. “He’s always had a beautiful jump shot and he’s got that great speed. He’s a handful.”

Westphal said Jeter’s speed can be utilized particularly in a couple of ways.

“In the open court, especially,” said the coach, “but in high-and-pick roll situations is where a player like Pooh can be effective. I think the place Pooh’s improved the most since college is his leadership. He has improved his ability to get other players involved and be more than just a scorer.”

It’s good to see Jeter listed at 5-foot-11 because that means I’ve grown. After being measured my entire life at 5-9, I’m looking the Southern California native dead in the eyes.

Unfortunately, Jeter’s 175-pound listing is doing nothing for my 215 pounds.

Jeter said he's carried the nickname, Pooh, since birth.

"When I was born, my grandmother said I looked like a little black Pooh bear," he said.

Jeter was in 2006 Kings training camp and when asked what he’s done since, it didn’t take long to answer.

“I’ve been in the gym,” said Jeter, who has played in the NBDL and all over in Europe, including Spain, Ukraine and last season in Jerusalem.

Jeter said his European trip was no vacation, but it was enjoyable.

“It was a great experience,” he said. “In Europe, they have two-a-days (practice) the whole season. The (maximum) you can play is two games a week, so you play European competition and then you play in your league. There’s a lot of shooting.”

His elongated journey to the NBA unquestionably helps make him a favorite of Kings assistant coach Mario Elie.

Elie, a seventh-round pick in 1985 (back when the NBA draft was more than two rounds), played in Portugal, Argentina and Ireland before stints in the USBL, WBL and CBA.

“I love Pooh,” Elie said. “I love his command of the court and his work ethic. He sort of reminds me of me. He’s a guy who has been around. He’s an older player who has a good feel for the game and brings a lot of leadership out there.

“The boy works his butt off. He’s the first one (to practice) and the last one to leave. He’s always working on his game. I’m excited for him and for him to get the opportunity to play.”

Elie said he believes Jeter will get playing time. And that makes sense. Numerically, Jeter likely would be listed as the third point guard behind Tyreke Evans and Beno Udrih.

However, they likely will be starters. So, it’s conceivable Jeter, with solid early play, could be the first guard off the bench.

“You’ve got to love guys like him,” Elie said of Jeter. “You’ve got to love this (basketball) thing here and he loves it. He’s always asking questions and what he needs to do to get better. I think he’s going to get some minutes on this team. He’s made a good case for himself. He came into camp in terrific shape.

“You never see this guy breathing hard,” said the assistant of Jeter. “He’s picking up (defensively) and he’s very vocal.”

Jeter’s penchant for quickly advancing the ball up court, via the pass as well as the dribble, could lead to easy baskets.

Moreover, his ballhandling ability makes him a perfect compliment to move Evans or Udrih to shooting guard.

Evans was asked if he and Jeter can play together.

“Definitely,” the Rookie of the Year said. “The coach and everybody on the team like him. He makes smart decisions and he’s really smart. He knows how to play the game the right way.”

Evans struggled when asked who in the league was as small as Jeter.

“Is Earl Boykins in the league?” Evans said with a chuckle. (He’s) probably the closest one. Oh, yeah, Nate Robinson, yeah.”

Should Jeter simulate Robinson’s impact (minus winning the dunk contests), the Kings should be very content.

Francisco Garcia said Jeter and Jason Thompson came into camp in the best shape, other than himself, of course.

“That’s what I do,” Garcia said. “I’m always in great shape.

“Pooh is going to be a very good player. He’s a good player, who works hard. He just doesn’t get tired. He’s going to be around this league a long time if he keeps doing that.”

The Kings will be happy with that and so will Jeter.

LakeShow
10-27-2010, 11:03 AM
The Pooh era begins,

Sacramento Kings Roster - 2010-11

TEAM ROSTER
NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2010-2011 SALARY
18 Omri Casspi SF 22 6-9 225 $1,254,480
15 DeMarcus Cousins PF 20 6-11 270 Kentucky $3,374,640
10 Samuel Dalembert C 29 6-11 250 Seton Hall $13,428,129
13 Tyreke Evans PG 21 6-6 220 Memphis $3,880,920
32 Francisco Garcia SG 29 6-7 195 Louisville $5,500,000
20 Donte Greene SF 22 6-11 226 Syracuse $930,700
9 Luther Head SG 27 6-3 185 Illinois $854,389
41 Darnell Jackson PF 24 6-9 253 Kansas $854,389
5 Pooh Jeter PG 26 5-11 175 Portland $473,604
24 Carl Landry PF 27 6-9 248 Purdue $3,000,000
34 Jason Thompson C 24 6-11 250 Rider $2,178,000
19 Beno Udrih PG 28 6-3 205 $6,478,600
33 Hassan Whiteside PF 21 7-0 235 Marshall $730,437
3 Antoine Wright SF 26 6-7 215 Texas A&M $854,389
Coach: Paul Westphal

:cry :toast

LakeShow
12-09-2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/06/3235764/jeter-earns-earlier-entrance.html

Jeter earns earlier entrance for Kings

By Jason Jones
[email protected]
Published: Monday, Dec. 6, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Monday, Dec. 6, 2010 - 12:46 pm

Pooh Jeter's NBA career began without fanfare. He made his only shot in four minutes of action in the Kings' season opener in Minnesota.
Then Jeter sat and watched for a while.

He didn't play in the team's next 11 games. He was listed as inactive nine times. The other two games he suited up and watched.

Jeter waited four years after college for his chance to play in the NBA, so waiting some more, so close on the sideline, hasn't been easy.

But Jeter now will get his chance. As part of a plan to inject some energy into the Kings' offense, coach Paul Westphal has decided to get Jeter in games when the Kings aren't trailing big in the fourth quarter.

Jeter played 10 minutes in Saturday's loss to Dallas and figures to get playing time in the first half again when the Kings play the Los Angeles Clippers today.

"When my number's called, I'm going to be that energy dude," Jeter said. "I'm going to be that spark plug to get us into our offense and bring that energy. Hopefully, Coach Westphal sees that and I have to continue to be me out there."

Jeter isn't your normal rookie. He's 27 and a veteran of minor league and overseas basketball.

The Kings knew of Jeter when he came out of the University of Portland in 2006. He played on Sacramento's summer league team before beginning his NBA Development League and overseas duties.

The Kings signed Jeter in July to be a change-of-pace complement in their backcourt alongside Tyreke Evans and Beno Udrih. Generously listed at 5-foot-11, Jeter is the shortest King but also might be the closest to a true point guard on the roster.

But through the first month of mostly spectating, Jeter didn't hang his head. The Southern California native stayed in contact with his support base and said his family and friends make the trip to Sacramento for games.

"I was always positive," Jeter said. "I was praying, talking to my parents, talking to my team back home, staying positive. I had to give all the negative emotions to God. I didn't have control over that. I've just got to stay ready."

Jeter's first extensive action came in the fourth quarter of the Kings' blowout loss to Utah on Nov. 22. He also played the entire fourth quarter Friday in a blowout loss against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Jeter showed in each appearance that more playing time might be warranted earlier in games. He scored 11 points against the Lakers. He had four assists in 10 minutes against Dallas.
"He played like we know he can play," Evans said. "We know he can play. He just hasn't gotten the time on the court. It's going to take time, but he's a good player."

Westphal said the team had concerns as to whether Jeter was ready to play in the NBA, even at 27. But with the team having won only twice since October, it was time to see if Jeter could contribute.

"He pushes the tempo for us. He moves the ball. He can knock down shots," Westphal said. "He's a little inexperienced and there are a few things he has to learn, but he's a hard worker. He's stayed positive through everything that's happened and I'm (eager) to see more of Pooh."

Jeter is working to earn Westphal's trust and more playing time. Jeter believes he's savvy enough to know what the Kings need to do to get the offense going consistently.

Play fast and find teammates, that is.

"You've got to know Cisco (García) needs shots," Jeter said. "You've got to know Carl (Landry) needs the ball in the post. Even though I'm a rookie and it's my first year in the NBA, I kind of know the game."

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/06/3235764/jeter-earns-earlier-entrance.html#ixzz17eNjnyAz