PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge: Spurs no. 6 in Off-Season Moves

Cane
07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
From NBA.com FWIW:

As ever, the ground rules: my 30-team rankings are only for offseason moves, the things teams have done since they last played a game. It is not a predicted order of finish for next season; I do not expect Golden State to have a better record than Orlando.

It is as much art as science, weighing the impact both of the Draft and free agency, but also assessing whether teams got value in their free-agent signings. Overpaying the right player is as much a sin as signing the wrong player. New coaches, new GMs, new owners and new arenas are also signficant factors in judging a team's summer success, for a good coach can coax some more wins out of a roster, and a new building can generate the kind of revenue necessary to let a team be aggressive in pursuing free agents and trades.

----
No. 6 -- SAN ANTONIO SPURS

2009-10 RECORD: 50-32, second place, Southwest Division; lost in West semifinals to Suns.
ADDED: C Tiago Splitter (three years, $10 million); G James Anderson (first round, 20th overall).
LOST: C Ian Mahinmi (signed with Dallas).
RETAINED: F Richard Jefferson (four years, $38 milliion); F Matt Bonner (four years)

THE KEY MAN: G George Hill.
The third-year man from IUPUI has earned Gregg Popovich's trust, and Tony Parker has steadfastly declined a contract extension. Rumors run rampant -- though Parker denies it -- that he'd like to play in New York. But Parker is probably the guy who can bring San Antonio the most in return in a potential deal. That would only happen if the Spurs believe that Hill is capable of running the team at a championship level -- which Parker already has done.

THE SKINNY: If you don't understand that owner Peter Holt pledged last summer to pay luxury tax through the end of the Tim Duncan Era (which has two years remaining), then what San Antonio did this summer doesn't make sense. But with the owner all in to try and get Duncan a fifth title, the Spurs have plowed forward, extending Manu Ginobili for $38 million in the spring so that he never touched free agency, then giving Jefferson four more years. But for the Spurs' purposes, like everyone else's, Jefferson's deal is a two-year deal. Instead of paying him $15 million this season and having to pay more to keep him next summer, San Antonio gave him a couple of years on the back end, then used the savings from his first-year number to re-sign Bonner and to finally export Splitter from Europe. And that's why the Spurs are so high on this list; getting one of the best big men in Europe for relative peanuts should keep the Spurs in the hunt through Duncan's 2012 swan song.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/david_aldridge/07/26/offseasonrank.part1/index.html

bobby4germany
07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
When did TP decline an extension?

TimmehC
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
When did TP decline an extension?

Probably because the Spurs can't even talk to him about it until later this year. At least, that's what I've read before.

MannyIsGod
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Woah Woah Woah. If TP is declining extensions I'd be all for moving him by the deadline.

BlackSwordsMan
07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
weren't spurs number 2-3 last year?
yeah....

DesignatedT
07-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Tony never declined any extension.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-26-2010, 03:51 PM
ghill's not a pg

I'm going to start posting that every time someone says this same b.s. aldridge said. In fact, I'll just make a keyboard shortcut for it --> Ctrl + GeorgeHillIsNotAPointGuard&^@%#$6

suitedkings
07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Weak write up.

nkdlunch
07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
a lot of BS in there

Strike
07-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Re-signing Boner should put them last in off-season moves.

MoSpur
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Aldridge usually doesn't write such off the wall stuff like Parker rejecting an extension, so he must know something we don't or might have gotten mixed up.

Libri
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
WTF? TP declined an extension.

8FOR!3
07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
If TP seriously declined an extension we need to get rid of this guy before the deadline.

ohmwrecker
07-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Tony hasn't declined an extension because the Spurs haven't offered him one.

Basketball Power
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Tony never declined any extension.

and you would know?

TP has gone out of his way to say he's gone after this season countless times already

LongtimeSpursFan
07-26-2010, 04:40 PM
and you would know?

TP has gone out of his way to say he's gone after this season countless times already

Link?????

tdunk21
07-26-2010, 04:43 PM
am still waiting to see what the spurs FO will do with the rest of MLE and the LLE....

SpursTillTheEnd
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
lmaoooooooooooo @ parker lovers i fucking told yall and yall still make shit up, parker dont wanna be here and hill is the future what yall parker lovers gotta say now .... huh

ohmwrecker
07-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Eh, he didn't go "out of his way" and it was once.

BTW, this is post #2010 for me and it would be cool to celebrate by getting my screen name in BOLD so I can post in NBA forum free of shame.

Kori, what do I need to do? Send you my resume? references? portfolio? baked goods? . . .

Libri
07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Eh, he didn't go "out of his way" and it was once.

BTW, this is post #2010 for me and it would be cool to celebrate by getting my screen name in BOLD so I can post in NBA forum free of shame.

Kori, what do I need to do? Send you my resume? references? portfolio? baked goods? . . .

Just send timvp some Malta Goya and Havanna Alfajores.

SenorSpur
07-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Re-signing Boner should put them last in off-season moves.

:lmao

07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
this article has given me new motivation to come up with some potential parker trades.

Chomag
07-26-2010, 05:45 PM
LoL @ some of those posting here like they know more then the people that are actually involved with the NBA.

Anyway, Aldridge is not known to make this shit up like other do. Not sure if he has heard about some-some things that we don't know or he just misinterpreted something instead.

Of course there is allways a chance it can be complete BS as with anything, but it's just not the track record from Aldridge. It's pretty interesting though.

8FOR!3
07-26-2010, 05:50 PM
The Bonner hate is getting annoying here. I understand the RMJ and Centerpiece hate, but Bonner, no.

ohmwrecker
07-26-2010, 05:52 PM
The Bonner hate is getting annoying here. I understand the RMJ and Centerpiece hate, but Bonner, no.

I agree. Let's wait until the season starts and he is royally fucking up before we let fly with the hate.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
LoL @ some of those posting here like they know more then the people that are actually involved with the NBA.

Anyway, Aldridge is not known to make this shit up like other do. Not sure if he has heard about some-some things that we don't know or he just misinterpreted something instead.

Of course there is allways a chance it can be complete BS as with anything, but it's just not the track record from Aldridge. It's pretty interesting though.

It's pretty simple that if there were actually a confirmed report that Parker had been offered and refused an extension, it would have made the news. The simple fact that it hasn't means that DA likely misspoke. That's not exactly the kind of news that's broken in a throwaway line in a mostly unrelated article.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2010, 05:55 PM

It's pretty simple that if there were actually a confirmed report that Parker had been offered and refused an extension, it would have made the news. The simple fact that it hasn't means that DA likely misspoke. That's not exactly the kind of news that's broken in a throwaway line in a mostly unrelated article. It's not a matter of "knowing more than the people involved", it's simply an understanding of how news reporting works.

Chomag
07-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Bonner will be Spur's starting center at the start of the season.:stirpot:

Chomag
07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
It's pretty simple that if there were actually a confirmed report that Parker had been offered and refused an extension, it would have made the news. The simple fact that it hasn't means that DA likely misspoke. That's not exactly the kind of news that's broken in a throwaway line in a mostly unrelated article.

Yep, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's just this "he just misspoke" Reporters an journalist don't ever seem to proof read their stuff anymore these days. :lol

elemento
07-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I igree it's getting annoying.

but to understand the hate, just watch him against the mavs @ 2009 playoffs. You're gonna understand the hate really fast !

i think people don't hate him. They hate the fact that he could steal minutes from Blair and Splitter.

He is not a bad player in the regular season. I just don't wanna see his face in the playoffs ever.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Yep, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's just this "he just misspoke" Reporters an journalist don't ever seem to proof read their stuff anymore these days. :lol

Yeah in this age those guys can probably submit a story from anywhere the same way you or I post in here. I'm careful to the point of being obsessive about proofreading my posts in here and I still make mistakes.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I igree it's getting annoying.

but to understand the hate, just watch him against the mavs @ 2009 playoffs. You're gonna understand the hate really fast !

i think people don't hate him. They hate the fact that he could steal minutes from Blair and Splitter.

He is not a bad player in the regular season. I just don't wanna see his face in the playoffs ever.

He's not a bad player in his actual role, but when he's getting big minutes, is asked to be the primary defensive big, when he takes minutes from guys with more upside or when he's relied upon to be the difference in games then he becomes a disappointment. He should be used the way three point shooting role players are used: Enter game, take shots, stay in until you start missing shots. Some nights he scores 15, some nights he gets 4 minutes.

07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
i don't know how "steadfastly declined a contract extension" can be interpreted another way. aldridge put it in there for a reason and must have known what it meant. it's not something a writer accidentally slips up on. either aldridge's sources are wrong or parker really did deny an extension offer.

Cane
07-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Yea I agree with 024, doesn't seem like an issue where Aldridge is unaware of what he's written although whether that information is reliable or not is another question.

ploto
07-26-2010, 07:58 PM
It only makes sense that TP would have declined a contract extension because he expects more $$ than what the Spurs can offer in an extension.

DPG21920
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
It only makes sense that TP would have declined a contract extension because he expects more $$ than what the Spurs can offer in an extension.

lol what?

EduRiker
07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
San Antonio gave him a couple of years on the back end, then used the savings from his first-year number to re-sign Bonner and to finally export Splitter from Europe.

Im no business man, but isnt IMPORT?

:downspin:

TimmehC
07-26-2010, 08:28 PM

Don't question Aldridge! He wrote that shit for a reason. He knew EXACTLY what he was saying!

Cane
07-26-2010, 09:36 PM

:lol

will_spurs
07-27-2010, 03:59 AM
i don't know how "steadfastly declined a contract extension" can be interpreted another way. aldridge put it in there for a reason and must have known what it meant. it's not something a writer accidentally slips up on. either aldridge's sources are wrong or parker really did deny an extension offer.

Not only did Parker allegedly declined an extension, he was did it "steadfastly"... I call bullshit on that, Aldridge thought he heard that through the grapevine because the Knicks activists have been doing a good job (starting with Amare all the way to "I don't know shit from crap" Rose).

The reality of it is that Parker said once he was ready to tackle another challenge, most likely to put pressure on the Spurs so that they wouldn't take him (and/or a paycut) for granted. And the said SEVERAL TIMES that he wanted to stay in SA and the Spurs wanted him to stay.

I wish we could put our vBookie cash on Parker's future, I'd bet everything on him signing an extension and I'd win big.

21_Blessings
07-27-2010, 04:23 AM
Lakers beating the Spurs once again. No surprises here.

m33p0
07-27-2010, 04:26 AM

he was probably in Europe when he wrote this piece. it's about perspective. :lol

Leonard Curse
07-27-2010, 05:06 AM
parker homers are just as bad as the trade tony crowd!!! we have all sorts of people in denial its halarious. for aldridge to put out a story like this on a ranking/as well as hearing the same thing from tony's mouth in france how oh and remember pop & RC are not denying these parker rumors so you know this is legit.

i wished tony would stay also i think i speak for alot of the people saying "trade tony" the only reason why we say trade tony is because theres a reallllllyyyyy good chance hes leaving therefore he does not want to be in san antonio!! and if you read the article hes saying in a polite way hes leaving after this year. he said hes happy to get back "home" and play this next SEASON not SEASONS and decided hes not going to sign an extension people have been saying this for quite some time now

Leonard Curse
07-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Tony hasn't declined an extension because the Spurs haven't offered him one.

we know that, but dont worry he said "he wouldnt" when the spurs do decide to. hes so cocky that he told reporters this before even given the extension, do get why all these "stupid parker haters" were suggesting a trade??

Leonard Curse
07-27-2010, 05:25 AM
It's pretty simple that if there were actually a confirmed report that Parker had been offered and refused an extension, it would have made the news. The simple fact that it hasn't means that DA likely misspoke. That's not exactly the kind of news that's broken in a throwaway line in a mostly unrelated article. It's not a matter of "knowing more than the people involved", it's simply an understanding of how news reporting works.

i disagree if this guy was known for lying then u guys would use that, now aldridge wrote a typo?? come on i know its shocking but this was reported by a few people weeks maybe even a month ago. im sure the media has to also confirm with the spurs org. and i highly doubt the spurs want to open this up.

maybe theyre tryin to keep him, trade him or figure it all out. i personally have known of parker wanting to leave this goes back to a year ago maybe more, but i wont get into that cause it turns into this huge deal me having a connection (which i dont have) nore do i care to argue on here.

if you guys take a look at our roster its slowly starting to make sense of what direction the spurs are headed in their decision. i think its going to benefit the spurs immensely!!!!

lotr1trekkie
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Tony declinging an extention, at less then MAX, indicates to me he wants out. If so, we need to move him at the opportune time. He certainly doesn't need the money. His wife makes twice as much. Maybe Tony knows that when he's 30 the Spurs will suck without Tim.

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
i disagree if this guy was known for lying then u guys would use that, now aldridge wrote a typo?? come on i know its shocking but this was reported by a few people weeks maybe even a month ago.
I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to see some links for that. I must have completely missed those reports, and I've been logging onto Spurstalk nearly every day.

im sure the media has to also confirm with the spurs org. and i highly doubt the spurs want to open this up.
Yep, that's the rule for journalists as I understand it. If DA reports it as fact, then it has to be confirmed. If DA confirmed it, he writes an article about it, and we aren't having this discussion. The fact that he hasn't written an article about it means he hasn't confirmed it and he can't report it as fact, which means he's either talking out his ass or he misspoke. I'm far more inclined to believe that he made a mistake than I am to believe he's just full of shit and pulling a McDonald.

BlairForceDejuan
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
But for the Spurs' purposes, like everyone else's, Jefferson's deal is a two-year deal. Instead of paying him $15 million this season and having to pay more to keep him next summer, San Antonio gave him a couple of years on the back end, then used the savings from his first-year number to re-sign Bonner

http://i29.tinypic.com/i51amv.jpg

FML :lol

ohmwrecker
07-27-2010, 01:09 PM
we know that, but dont worry he said "he wouldnt" when the spurs do decide to. hes so cocky that he told reporters this before even given the extension, do get why all these "stupid parker haters" were suggesting a trade??

He's not cocky, he's French.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if I understand why people want to trade Tony Parker?

No. I don't understand it because I understand that the Spurs have a very slim chance to win a championship in the next two years. After that, more than likely, it's over, and the Spurs will be forced to rebuild. The point is, the Spurs need Tony Parker right now. If he walks after this season, so be it. There is no realistic trade scenario that will increase the Spurs chances to win a championship in that window.
I think if the Spurs are rolling by the trade deadline and showing they have promise to be competitive for a few more years, they will offer Parker an extension and he will take it. If not, it doesn't matter anyway.

Sean Cagney
07-27-2010, 01:17 PM

He is the last one of the big three we have left to hate on though (Mason, Bogans and him), so we have to hate on someone all the damn time.

BTW he sucks:rollin
Lakers beating the Spurs once again. No surprises here.

This is why everyone prays for those pricks to fail, too cocky and fans think they are never going to lose again.

Prays for LA to go down sooner than later.