PDA

View Full Version : McLiar "there he goes again": US won in Viet Nam

boutons_deux
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Geoff Millard and I spoke to Sen. John McCain. When Geoff introduced himself as chairman of the board of Iraq Veterans Against the War, McCain retorted, "You're too late. We already won that one."

http://www.truth-out.org/john-mccain-we-already-won-that-one61699?print

========

Seems like Repugs never met a lie they wouldn't tell, never met a chapter in history they wouldn't re-write.

spursncowboys
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
We did win.

Winehole23
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
We did win.The communist Vietcong unified the country after we left in 1975 and sent a million or so of our allies in the South to reeducation camps.

That's a win in your book? :wow

boutons_deux
07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
The US didn't win. That's another military/right-wing lie, history rewritten in line with the myth that Big Bad Ass America Never Loses, America Never Even Does Anything Wrong.

The US fucking quit because the US citizens, through anti-war protests, had had enough with 50K dead and 250K injured.

Winehole23
07-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Sidenote: McCain was clearly referring to the Iraq War in the OP. As framed by b_d the headline is misleading.

spursncowboys
07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
The communist Vietcong unified the country after we left in 1975 and sent a million or so of our allies in the South to reeducation camps.

That's a win in your book? :wow
What does Vietnam have to do with Iraq?

Winehole23
07-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Little late, bro. For my answer to your question, please see the post just above yours.

boutons_deux
07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Right, my mistake.

McLiar is still lying about Iraq. We ain't won shit, other than proving the US can, in another war of choice on false pretenses, invade and destroy a country, with the destruction lasting for decades.

spursncowboys
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah but seriously where does Vietnam come into it?

boutons_deux
07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
It doesn't, my mistake.

but I bet McLiar says we won in VN, too.

panic giraffe
07-26-2010, 07:26 PM
um...last i checked vietnam was still commie. we lost. we couldn't even best the french.

spursncowboys
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
b_d: thanks. I reread it, thinking I was missing something, twice.

ChumpDumper
07-26-2010, 08:11 PM
If Iraq can operate as a democracy without our training wheels, we can say we won.

Wild Cobra
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Who cares about McAmnesty anyway? He could lose in the primary!

Stringer_Bell
07-26-2010, 10:22 PM
If Iraq can operate as a democracy without our training wheels, we can say we won.

It's basically been operating as a failed state anyway, and we're on the way out the door - it's hardly operated at all since we've been there, anyone really believe that country can pick itself up by the boot straps and clear out corruption and militant violence?

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Agreed.

I think it is fair to say that we won militarily. The juries still out if it's a win politically as far as democratic nation building.

clambake
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
the military won when we started paying them not to kill us.

they called it the "surge".

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Who cares about McAmnesty anyway? He could lose in the primary!

If that wre the case then the Dems win that seat in November..you can take that one to the bank...

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 09:13 AM
"we won militarily"

bullshit. US/Petraeus won financially by buying off the insurgents, $300/month. I don't know whether that is continuing.

The Pax Americana in Iraq is very much like Pax Romana. Devastation everywhere, infrastructure destroyed and not repaired. Shiite-Sunni bombings killing dozens occur just about every week.

How's the $1B US fort (embassy) coming along?

Iraq is a shithole, Iraqi politicians are as corrupt and polarized as American politicians.

An elective war-for-oil that is a total waste of lives and $Ts.

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
An elective war-for-oil that is a total waste of lives and $Ts.

You do know that this statement diminishes any shred of credibility you might have? Do you also think 9/11 was an inside job?

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 10:18 AM
US military is accustomed to wasting 100s of $Bs, so:

Department of Defense can’t account for 96 percent of money administered in Iraq reconstruction fund.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/27/defense-department-96-iraq/

====

yep, we "won" Iraq.

Oh, Gee!!
07-27-2010, 12:54 PM
If our goal was to depose Saddam and help create a new government that we can control, then we mostly won. We deposed Saddam, but the jury is still out on whether this new government will last a day without our presence.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
You do know that this statement diminishes any shred of credibility you might have? Do you also think 9/11 was an inside job?

:lol

You actually gave Boutons a shred of credibility?

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
The goal (one of many bogus goals dickhead threw against the media wall to see what would stick) was to grab the imagined, never-found WMD, deposing Saddam was a means to that end. No WMD, bogus mission failed. However, the MIC was enriched as is sucked down taxpayer $Ts, taxpayers endebted and interest paid on deficits for decades.

Stringer_Bell
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM

I don't think Iraq being "a war for oil" is on the same level of credability as "9/11 was an inside job." More people benefitted from 9/11 in terms of expanding power and directing funds/resources than the phantom oil people believe we (the US) control in Iraq.

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Iraq was a war-for-oil. Neo-cons/PNAC were planning to go into Iraq in late '90s.

dickhead's secret National Energy Policy planning in early 2001 with unknown oil/gas execs included Iraq maps and oil fields.

dubya mentioned Iraq in his very first cabinet meeting 2 years before he invaded.

All the Repug reasons for invading Iraq were lies, total criminal bullshit.

If you believe otherwise, GFY.

btw, the neo-con joke was "wimps invade Iraq, Real Men invade Iran".

Nukes aren't the problem in Iran, US/UK lack of access to Iran's oil is the problem.

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Nukes aren't the problem in Iran, US/UK lack of access to Iran's oil is the problem.

....exactly, Darth Cheney's plan was never to free the Iraqi oil and send it West, that would hurt the profits of his constituents, the oil companies....

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Dumbass.

Oil is oil. it's not democratic, muslim, or communist. So China buys Irans oil. big fucking deal. If they weren't buying Iran's oil they would be buying someone elses.

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
The urgency of "no other option, invasion is the ONLY solution" in Feb 2003 was that Russians, Chinese, and French were doing contracts for IRaqi oil, while Saddam excluded US and UK.

Aren't you suppose to a fucking businessman? The US oilcos want to get at Iran's oil so they can profit from it. US oilcos don't profit from Iran oil sold to other countries, to belabor the obvious for your fucking pea brain.

Mr. Peabody
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, if (for the sake of argument) our true motive for going into Iraq were for the oil, then how would we measure success or failure? If we have control of the oil, it would seem to be a success, right?

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, if (for the sake of argument) our true motive for going into Iraq were for the oil, then how would we measure success or failure? If we have control of the oil, it would seem to be a success, right?

And post-war the Iraqi's have complete and total control over their oil.

As usual Boutons is lost out in left field.

Winehole23
07-28-2010, 03:12 AM
The Russians, the Chinese, the Italians -- hell, even the Danish -- have been landing the monster contracts. The war for oil, if it was that, failed.