PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch 'The Colony'??

4>0rings
07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Anyone watch this show? It looks cool but seems really weird.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Are you talking about the show that was on Discovery?

4>0rings
07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I think it's going on it's 2nd season now.

phyzik
07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I watched the entire first season. Good show. Cant wait for the new season to start this week.

4>0rings
07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Well... wtf is it about? Reality show?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah I watched it. Its a group of people that are put in a set that it fenced off from the real world. Its like a post-apocalyptic setting where the world is in ruins and this group of people has to survive. Random events are thrown at the people like groups of raiders, or for instance last season the group went scavenging and one of the show members got "lost" (taken off the show) and they had to deal with that. Its pretty good.

phyzik
07-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah I watched it. Its a group of people that are put in a set that it fenced off from the real world. Its like a post-apocalyptic setting where the world is in ruins and this group of people has to survive. Random events are thrown at the people like groups of raiders, or for instance last season the group went scavenging and one of the show members got "lost" (taken off the show) and they had to deal with that. Its pretty good.

Yeah. This.

To expand on that. It's an experiment to see if there was a world ending event (global nuclear war, a plague, ect.) if the surviving humans could survive and begin to rebuild society while dealing with random events (to them) such as raiders, poor people begging for the already scarce food, dealing with no easy access to water or electricity.... stuff like that.

They are never told what is going to happen and have no contact with the outside world other than the camera men which they are not allowed to talk to at all, in any situation.

My favorite guy from last season was the old MIT scientist, John Cohn. He was a prototypical einstein type guy. The shit he came up with was amazing given what he had to work with. I think he was constantly voted as the favorite cast member.

4>0rings
07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah. This.

To expand on that. It's an experiment to see if there was a world ending event (global nuclear war, a plague, ect.) if the surviving humans could survive and begin to rebuild society while dealing with random events (to them) such as raiders, poor people begging for the already scarce food, dealing with no easy access to water or electricity.... stuff like that.

They are never told what is going to happen and have no contact with the outside world other than the camera men which they are not allowed to talk to at all, in any situation.

My favorite guy from last season was the old MIT scientist, John Cohn. He was a prototypical einstein type guy. The shit he came up with was amazing given what he had to work with. I think he was constantly voted as the favorite cast member.
Well they have to know all this shits made up so why would you feed some beggers that you know aren't starving and are paid to act like a begger?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-26-2010, 10:27 PM

Yeah that guy was cool, most of the guys were cool. Almost all of the girls annoyed the hell outta me though.

ChuckD
07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Interesting marketing for Colony II. If you watch the ads, some of them say that the experiment failed, that the colony collapses. I guess we get to see why.

Sisk
07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
So, it is a reality show? I couldn't figure it out if they were simply marketing it as such or if it truly was an experiment.

phyzik
07-26-2010, 11:37 PM
So, it is a reality show? I couldn't figure it out if they were simply marketing it as such or if it truly was an experiment.

It's a bit of both. There are things hidden throughout there zone that are purposely placed there to help them.... things like solar panels and such.... but its up to the colony to figure out how to utilize the items.

phyzik
07-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Well they have to know all this shits made up so why would you feed some beggers that you know aren't starving and are paid to act like a begger?

There are unforseen consiquences for each choice. For instance, that beggar you send off with no food/water may end up joinging a raiding party. That raiding party may then come back and storm your camp by force taking everything.

They also might have something worth a trade of your food/water or you might get some help from them in the future.

This isnt like "Survivor" these people are almost completely isolated for like 6 months or something like that. There is no bullshit host that shows up now and again yo give them their next "challenge". If I remember right, they get random radio communications that are pretty cryptic, but thats about it.

PakiDan
07-26-2010, 11:43 PM
When does this biznitch start!!??

phyzik
07-26-2010, 11:44 PM
When does this biznitch start!!??

Tomorrow at 9pm CST on Discovery Channel.

Stringer_Bell
07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
It looks a bit too staged from the commercials on TV, I prefer Kid Nation to make a return...

6kceDf3Px18

SpursStalker
07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm fond of this show ...

So I'll be watching it right after the catch

mookie2001
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Is this the urban survivor show?

Was it always called the colony?

It was on a long time ago, then it disappeared and I never heard of it again

Urban survivor and they had to live in warehouse 13

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Is this the urban survivor show?

Was it always called the colony?

It was on a long time ago, then it disappeared and I never heard of it again

Urban survivor and they had to live in warehouse 13

The first season was last year I think

phyzik
07-27-2010, 09:09 PM
It's on now.

I suggest watching it.... It doesnt seem staged. It looks like a real experiment.

SpursStalker
07-28-2010, 07:31 AM
I was under the impression that there wasn't going to be physical contact?

LOL ... they were whippin some ass with those pipes when the mob approached them

:wow

ChuckD
07-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I was under the impression that there wasn't going to be physical contact?

LOL ... they were whippin some ass with those pipes when the mob approached them

:wow
That was last season. I noticed they didn't give the "disclaimer" this year. That little battle was more intense than the finale from last season.

The Reckoning
07-29-2010, 12:02 AM
eh i watched it but i wouldnt say itd be too accurate in a real situation. theyre presented with either helping nomads or running them off.

in real life, i would either allow them to join the colony (power in numbers) or interrogate and kill them.

Sisk
07-29-2010, 12:11 AM
in real life, i would either allow them to join the colony (power in numbers) or interrogate and kill them.

Pretty much this tbh. I think there'd be much more violence (killing) if this were a real situation. But it's still interesting

ChuckD
07-29-2010, 12:14 AM
two things bothered me about the episode:

There were like 15-20 people attacking them. Something like that doesn't just happen ad hoc. They would have to be a community. As we've seen, a much smaller group with a helping aid station/tent is mightily struggling.

Also, they got majorly rained on, and NO ONE thinks to strip the tent off it's frame and secure it over their roof? It's serving no real purpose now, other than decoration. They've stripped everything out of it, and have also decided to ignore the whole "quarantine" thing.

PM5K
07-29-2010, 03:34 AM
I think the show would have been better off without the "nomads". It breaks the reality of the show because the reaction is the same right now in the "normal" world, and in the "reality tv world" of The Colony: If someone comes to take your things you kill them.

The fact that they just pushed everyone around and shit was just so fake.

SpursStalker
07-29-2010, 08:00 AM
That was last season. I noticed they didn't give the "disclaimer" this year. That little battle was more intense than the finale from last season.

Now that you mention it, I didn't see one.

Hmmm ... wonder if there will be blood shed this time.

SpursStalker
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
two things bothered me about the episode:

There were like 15-20 people attacking them. Something like that doesn't just happen ad hoc. They would have to be a community. As we've seen, a much smaller group with a helping aid station/tent is mightily struggling.

Also, they got majorly rained on, and NO ONE thinks to strip the tent off it's frame and secure it over their roof? It's serving no real purpose now, other than decoration. They've stripped everything out of it, and have also decided to ignore the whole "quarantine" thing.

I was thinking about that after the show.

I wonder how long it will take to dawn on them to use that tarp from the tent.

I'm also interested in those other nomads ... was just too fishy of them to show up on the second day.

The guy that HAD to take a nap ... he's the weakest link

SpursStalker
08-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Ok them pigs are just fucked up! I actually never knew you could get fuel from them like that. Still gross as all get out ...

I fell asleep 20mins before it was over.

Can anyone tell me what happened?

Oh and wtf ... I can't believe the guy that cried, I would have betted that a girl would have been the first to break and certainly not HIM ...

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Dammit I missed it

lil_penny
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Watched a episode last night pretty good.

Johnny RIngo
08-04-2010, 05:16 PM
It looks a bit too staged from the commercials on TV, I prefer Kid Nation to make a return...

6kceDf3Px18

Kid's Nation was just as staged as any other reality show. From wiki:

Some parents on hand for the final day of filming accused the producers of feeding children lines, re-casting dialog and repeating scenes, all of which suggested that the children functioned as actors.

ChuckD
08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Ok them pigs are just fucked up! I actually never knew you could get fuel from them like that. Still gross as all get out ...

Oh and wtf ... I can't believe the guy that cried, I would have betted that a girl would have been the first to break and certainly not HIM ...

They got the generator running by spot welding a flywheel onto the auxiliary output hub of the tractor, using the last juice from the batteries that they can now re-charge for at least 3-4 days using the one gallon of pig diesel they rendered. I think there is still fat on the carcasses that they were unable to cleanly cut off. They should just throw all of the carcasses into the tub with the fire underneath and they could probably render another gallon. If they don't do that, they need to use them as gator bait.

They're finally starting to strip things out of the tent, like lights, etc, but still haven't figured out that their best bet for a rain tight roof IS the tent over their roof.

episode loser: model girl. She washed her friggin' hair with about 3-4 gallons of filtered drinking water that probably took several hours to fetch, filter, and boil.

runner up: the black chick for refusing to go help with the pigs, or anything for that matter. She did rip up some shit for smocks for the "butchers", which made her not finish as the over all loser. She also saw model girl washing her hair and didn't call her out.

Most improved: art boy made a huge comeback by not only going with the group and getting the pig carcasses, but also rendering the fat into pig diesel.

phyzik
08-04-2010, 11:35 PM

I was actually eating jack-in-the-box at that point. I was forcing the food into my mouth and had to look away for a few seconds to settle my stomach.

ChuckD
08-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Good episode. I thought they got over on the traders. Two new colonists: the guy seems pretty cool, but the girls is really butt hurt.

Highlight of the episode: in previews for next week, model-girl gets really hungry, and goes scavenging alone, and gets nabbed. That's how the doctor got removed from the show in season one. He got separated when they went scavenging for medical supplies in the old hospital, and they just never saw him again. Hopefully, she's done. I'm tired of her constant whining and complaining.

SpursStalker
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Good episode. I thought they got over on the traders. Two new colonists: the guy seems pretty cool, but the girls is really butt hurt.

Highlight of the episode: in previews for next week, model-girl gets really hungry, and goes scavenging alone, and gets nabbed. That's how the doctor got removed from the show in season one. He got separated when they went scavenging for medical supplies in the old hospital, and they just never saw him again. Hopefully, she's done. I'm tired of her constant whining and complaining.

Thanks for the update Chuck ...

I fell asleep last night

:sleep

ChuckD
08-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Everyone's hungry, they're working on a pivoting windmill generator to charge the batteries, they scavenged a motor and some parts from a downed small plane, and model girl DID get nabbed. It happened under the closing credits, and the previews show that they're actually going to ransom her worthless carcass next week.