PDA

View Full Version : Who's the 2nd best team in the west?

gospursgojas
07-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Obviously behind the Lakers, who do you think is the 2nd best team in the west?

Last year's other WCF team, the Suns, took a big hit losing Amare. They did however retain Channing Frye(by overpaying him), sign Josh Childress, Hedo Turkoglu, and Hakeem Warrick.

The Nuggets added Al Harrington

Utah Jazz lost Boozer but added Al Jefferson. A lateral if not, improving team move.

Blazers' biggest off season move was signing Wesley Matthews

Mavs pretty much stayed the same

As did the Thunder.

The Spurs re-signed RJ and Bonner, added a rookie scorer Anderson, and signed the Spanish league MVP Tiago Splitter.

????

bdictjames
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Regular season? Mavs.

koriwhat
07-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Regular post season loser? Mavs!

Greg Oden
07-26-2010, 10:20 PM
The 2 people in that avatar are a couple of the weirdest looking people I have ever seen.

jag
07-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Mavs pretty much stayed the same

Tyson Chandler is an upgrade over Dampier.

Bito Corleone
07-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Regular Season:
1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Thunder
4. Spurs
5. Nuggets
6. Blazers
7. Jazz
8. Suns

Xevious
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't think there is a clear cut #2 right now. Mavs could easily retake the second seed. Blazers depending on health, the Thunder should continue improving, if the Spurs don't sputter out of the gate like they did last season, the Nuggets are always a possibility... who knows.

Suns and Jazz are the only playoff teams that I would be surprised to see #2.

Spursfan092120
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Regular Season:
1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Thunder
4. Spurs
5. Nuggets
6. Blazers
7. Jazz
8. Suns
Curious how you put the Thunder above the Spurs...yeah, they have potential, but I don't think they're there yet.

The Franchise
07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Regular Season:
1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Houston (health allowing)
4. Spurs
5. Nuggets
6. Blazers
7. Jazz
8. Thunder

This is more like it.

Greg Oden
07-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Curious how you put the Thunder above the Spurs...yeah, they have potential, but I don't think they're there yet.

You also didn't think the Thunder were gonna make the playoffs last year, so your opinion will be swept under the rug.

TD 21
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM

I agree. People are seemingly eager to skip steps with this team and anoint them the second coming before they've done anything. Their future looks great and their present looks very good, but I don't think they're there yet, in terms of having a realistic shot at making it out of the West.

They could finish with a better regular season record than the Spurs (though I don't suspect they will), but I'd be surprised if we look back on the 10-11 season and conclude that they were better than the Spurs.

I see the Spurs as the second best team in the West entering the season. I've gone on about my reasons for this for a while now and for the most part they're not all that different than many others, so I won't bother regurgitating them. I'll just say that I think the Spurs have the potential to give the Lakers their toughest test in the West since "acquiring" Gasol.

The same three teams I predicted would be the three best teams in the West last season, I predict will be next season. I've got the Trail Blazers third (they could finish second in the regular season though).

pad300
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
If Yao is healthy, Rockets might be a consideration.

mingus
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I think it's Rockets 2A and the Spurs 2B

i don't think the Rockets will be able to stay healthy yet again when it really matters, so i think it's the Spurs. AND, i think the Spurs are really being underestimated going into next season. they shored up two of their biggest problems: their 3-point shooting and interior help. i like our chances. i realize it's "in" to be extremely pessimistic about out team, but i firmly and reasonably believe they can win it all this year. i'm not falling for this bs that that the Spurs are done. because that's what it is - BS.

gospursgojas
07-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Lakers
Mavs
Nuggets
Spurs
Thunder
Jazz
Blazers
Rockets
Suns

TD 21
07-26-2010, 11:36 PM
I think it's Rockets 2A and the Spurs 2B

i don't think the Rockets will be able to stay healthy yet again when it really matters, so i think it's the Spurs. AND, i think the Spurs are really being underestimated going into next season. they shored up two of their biggest problems: their 3-point shooting and interior help. i like our chances. i realize it's "in" to be extremely pessimistic about out team, but i firmly and reasonably believe they can win it all this year. i'm not falling for this bs that that the Spurs are done. because that's what it is - BS.

I agree.

Specifically speaking about the fan base, people get so caught up in what the Spurs don't have, that they often overlook what they do have and what they do have are a lot of the necessary ingredients that are needed to contend for and win a championship in this league.

Of course, like any team, they have issues and concerns, but how can anyone think the Thunder are better equipped to contend for a championship than the Spurs next season? On top of being too young and inexperienced, they don't have a single big who's even a surefire starter.

Truth4sale$
07-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Count on the THunder to rise to #2. They have the "New" best player in the league.

mingus
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I agree.

Specifically speaking about the fan base, people get so caught up in what the Spurs don't have, that they often overlook what they do have and what they do have are a lot of the necessary ingredients that are needed to contend for and win a championship in this league.

Of course, like any team, they have issues and concerns, but how can anyone think the Thunder are better equipped to contend for a championship than the Spurs next season? On top of being too young and inexperienced, they don't have a single big who's even a surefire starter.

+1

yeah, the OKC hype is ridiculous. they haven't done much of anything to prove they were more than a flash in the pan. people thought NO would be a contender for years to come, same thing with the Jazz. some teams peak really early and don't have a lot of room to grow (or as much as people like to think); we'll see if they're one of those teams. they'll have to prove to me otherwise.

Bito Corleone
07-27-2010, 12:01 AM

Basically it's because they had the same record as us last year. They were a 50 win team in the western conference full of great young players, and unlike to most of the teams that stayed the same their entire core is going to be better this coming season than they were last year.

You also have to take into consideration that (even after last year) the Spurs don't normally worry about seeding throughout the regular season, so you have to figure we'll finish the season with somewhere around 5 or 6 less wins than we could have.

Bito Corleone
07-27-2010, 12:11 AM

I definitely don't think the Thunder are better equipped contend for a championship than the Spurs, but I think they will be a great regular season team. Their youth and talent gives them the necessary ingredients to win 55+ games this coming season. Doesn't mean that it will equal playoff success though...look at Cleveland that last few years, or the Mavs over the past 10 years.

Nathan89
07-27-2010, 12:25 AM
It seems to me that this thread is the child of the thread I started earlier(besides the lakers). :baby

bigzak25
07-27-2010, 01:00 AM
1. Spurs
2. Lakers
3. Nuggets
4. Mavs
5.-8. Oklahoma City, Jazz, Clippers, and then Blazers or Rockets.

I think the Suns tank the season, go for a big man next year.

So to answer the question, the Lakers will be proven to be the 2nd best team in the west come next May. :flag:

spursbird
07-27-2010, 03:02 AM
You all overate Spurs. Otherwise why were they only the 7th this year?

analyzed
07-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Call me crazy, although I don't think the Spurs will have the second best recored in the West. I do think they are the odds on favourite to meet the Lakers in the Western conference finals. And that's all that matters.

If you base it from the last playoffs , you have to admit that next to the Lakers and Suns, the Spurs were the best Western playoff team. The Suns then lose Amare while the other western final 4 team ( the Jazz ) lose Boozer and company. What do the Spurs do , they simply fill in 2 of their biggest gaps. A big in Euro MVP Tiango and the best shooter in the draft. So you tell me, how are they not the favourites to meet the Lakers in the Western finals ?

Xevious
07-27-2010, 03:27 AM
You all overate Spurs. Otherwise why were they only the 7th this year?
Spurs got off to a worse start than usual. Duncan was the only one playing worth a damn, there were long stretches where RJ was logging most of his minutes at PF, and Bogans was starting. If Tony and Manu are healthy and in rhythm, RJ plays as decent or better than he did the last quarter of the season, the new guys (Anderson and Splitter) help out, and considering Blair and Hill still have some upside... Spurs have a decent shot at second seed. That's a lot of ifs, but it's possible.

bigzak25
07-27-2010, 03:31 AM
It feels like 99 and 2003 all over again...those years felt right...

Championships are won with the heart, the smart, and the talent.

Our Spurs have now acquired the talent to go with the hearts of the vets and the smarts of our coach to put our team over the top once more.

It will have to be team defense and team offense, but it will be done.

Go Spurs Go! The 5th is on the way. :toast

quentin_compson
07-27-2010, 04:29 AM
I wouldn't say the Thunder haven't done anything yet. They were only a Gasol tip-in away from taking the Lakers to seven games.
Alright, some people obviously overrate them, but they are a young team with great promise and surprisingly good defense for such young guns as well.

hsxvvd
07-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Regular Season
1. Dallas
2. Lakers
3. Utah
4. Portland
5. Denver
6. San Antonio
7. Oklahoma City
8. Phoenix
9. New Orleans
10. Houston

All other teams still a long way back...

tmtcsc
07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
WTH ? Its the Spurs.

We spanked Dallas
Phoenix fell off
Utah took a step back

The Thunder will be good but they have to sustain their energy for a full season.

What's with the Dallas love ? They are a year older too. We handled them just fine.

gospursgojas
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
wth ? Its the spurs.

We spanked dallas
phoenix fell off
utah took a step back

the thunder will be good but they have to sustain their energy for a full season.

What's with the dallas love ? They are a year older too. We handled them just fine.

+1

bigbendbruisebrother
07-27-2010, 01:13 PM
+1

yeah, the OKC hype is ridiculous. they haven't done much of anything to prove they were more than a flash in the pan. people thought NO would be a contender for years to come, same thing with the Jazz. some teams peak really early and don't have a lot of room to grow (or as much as people like to think); we'll see if they're one of those teams. they'll have to prove to me otherwise.

In some ways, OKC reminds me of the 1990-91 Spurs--young and athletic, with an emerging superstar. The thing is, it took the Spurs six more seasons to get David a partner in crime. Kevin Durant has emerged as a franchise player, but OKC may still be a Tim Duncan away from greatness. The key difference though may be that OKC plays the right way, emphasizing defense, while the Spurs of the early to mid 90's were all about scoring. I OKC's youth, talent and defensive mindset has them setup to be force in the west for a long time.

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 02:16 PM
The Lakers.

gospursgojas
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
The Lakers.

LOL

Yeah unfortunately there is a big drop off from the top team in the west to everyone else. Lots of what ifs with seeds 2-8, not so much with the lakers.

BadMotorscooter
07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I've got:

1. Lakers
2. Jazz
3. Denver
4. Dallas
5. San Antonio
6. Thunder
7. Trailblazers
8. Rockets

Thunder are gonna hit a bit of a wall this year. They're gonna feel a lot of pressure this year and the team is still very young as well as the coach. Denver will finish that high if Karl comes back to coach them. Mavs might even fall to a 5 or 6 seed. They are gonna feel the age of Kidd this season and the softness of Marion for an entire season as well. Jazz upgraded with Jefferson and Bell and getting Milsap his minutes when Boozer left, they are better off now. San Antonio climbed out of the celler with Tiago coming over but we still dont have the pieces we need to be a top 2 team in the West. Trailblazers and Rockets? two injury prone teams. Who knows what can happen there?