PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Wilkernson wants guaranteed contract

Truth4sale$
07-26-2010, 10:17 PM
According to Ridiculousupside.com, summer league Tyler-Wilkerson wants a solid contract from the Spurs or he is heading to Israel. Any thoughts. Another undersized rebounding power forward. Or do the spurs persue a defensive swing player? If the spurs start Blair, then Wilkerson could come off the bench and keep the pressure on. It would be like a two-headed monster, although he would probably be sent to the Dleague.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/7/26/1588609/tyler-wilkerson-to-sign-in-israel#storyjump

VI_Massive
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
buh bye

Blackjack
07-26-2010, 10:25 PM
The Spurs love their potential 6th Bigs to make contract demands. Can't wait to pick up my Wilkerson jersey. :hungry:

lurker23
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Nothing really to see here. He probably got a decent contract to play in Israel, but wanted an out in case the Spurs are really interested in him. Once they (almost definitely) tell him there's no real guaranteed money left, he'll go play in Israel for the season.

ChumpDumper
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
L'Chaim :toast

beachwood
07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Sorry buddy, guaranteed money is only for guaranteed playoff chokers like Bonner.

dbestpro
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Guess we'll see him at the wailing wall.

JR3
07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Have fun in Israel

Sausage
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
He makes one highlight reel dunk and now he thinks he's worth a damn...

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Just shows what a jackass he is. Hes not an NBA player.

No, it shows that he wanted a guaranteed contract to keep him from going to Europe. It's simple business. That's what it took to get Neal, and that's what it would have taken to get him or most other players that have opportunities overseas.

If he takes a non-guaranteed gig and then gets cut he's without a paycheck for the whole season.

ohmwrecker
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm going to make some t-shirts that say, I dunked on Hasheem Thabeet. Who wants one?

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm going to make some t-shirts that say, I dunked on Hasheem Thabeet. Who wants one?

Expect sales to increase as Thabeet continues to get minutes in the league.

elemento
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
He is not a jackass, it's just business.

Let him go !! ATM, we don't need him.

ace3g
07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
that title is very misleading, I posted the same article yesterday as well in the general FA thread: the article states that he will sign with the Euro team , it was the author who thinks he might wait before signing the contract to see if the Spurs (the team he played with during summer league) will give him a contract.
There aren't any quotes from Wilkerson demanding a guaranteed contract. He is just leaving an opening to sign a contract in the NBA before signing in Europe

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Neal can play, Wilkerson cant.

That remains to be seen, but Neal absolutely wouldn't be here without a guaranteed contract. The fact that he got one doesn't mean he can play. The Spurs are desperate enough for a Jack McClinton replacement that they were willing to guarantee the guy some money. You can probably count on one hand the number of guys that would risk their salary to have a shot at an NBA team.

Again, the guy's not a jackass.

SouthTexasRancher
07-27-2010, 09:05 PM
buh bye

Exxxxxxxxactly...!

Velo
07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6R9-MYGtDFuGwxE4in70UqfjcJXgP7RAubqqMYk597m4-aRQ&t=1&usg=__HtjhtN96fAlHPDKRDeOeZWMNPJ4=

SpursTillTheEnd
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM
i told yal he dunked on thabeet a top 5 draft pick lets keep him

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 10:17 PM
The spurs are desperate to replace a guy who they cut and never played a min for them??? Neal can play, the rape charge derailed his career early on as he was one of D1s best scorers and could have been a first round pick had it not been for the false charge. He has redeemed himself overseas.

Keep in mind most guys overseas dont make a boat load of money, even the good ones. He was one of the leading scores last year.

His skill set is just what we need....Hes nothing like McClinton, unlike JM Neal can handle the ball, play the pick and role, get his own shot, shoot off the dribble, shoot off screens and get to the rack.

Spurs are not gonna lock a guy up for 3 years unless they know he can play and they just drafted Anderson so they must have great faith in Neal to sign him anyway. I think hes a boom or bust signing who could see big mins with Manu and Anderson on the floor, as all three can create and shoot.

Wilkernson had an OK SL but in no way at this time looks like a rotation player. If he wants to play in the NBA you have to prove yourself you dont demand a deal if its about money go over seas. His best bet is to go to camp and see if someone picks him up, if not he can always sign overseas.

Wonder if the FO LTAO as they helped him load his bags out of town. Had we not had so many injuries he wouldnt have even played.

Last point........Do we really want yet another PF under 6-9. Are we biulding a high school team?

That post is so full of fail I don't even know where to start. I'm sure the Spurs don't even have a locker cleared out for him yet, and you seem to have his spot in Springfield all cleared out.

Bruno
08-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Wilkerson is still working out in SA with other players (like James Gist) to get a training camp contract:
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201008240483?page=2&build=cache

Blackjack
08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I really feel Gist is going to be given every opportunity to be the 6th Big. He's done everything the Spurs have asked and he brings a body and skill-set/athleticism they could use situationally and sparingly -- and they could wash their hands of him if they need to cut him before they have to pay tax.

Seems the best way for them to deal with him, both as it pertains to them and his own personal future. It may just be time for him to see if he can find a better opportunity with another team, something the Spurs have tried to allow players to do.

beachwood
08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I really feel Gist is going to be given every opportunity to be the 6th Big. He's done everything the Spurs have asked and he brings a body and skill-set/athleticism they could use situationally and sparingly -- and they could wash their hands of him if they need to cut him before they have to pay tax.

Seems the best way for them to deal with him, both as it pertains to them and his own personal future. It may just be time for him to see if he can find a better opportunity with another team, something the Spurs have tried to allow players to do.

He's already been given every opportunity. If you've been watching the SL games the past two years, you'd see that Gist is not a very good basketball player. In the few SL games he played this year, I saw no difference from what he was producing last year. He's just not improving at all fast enough rate.

Solid D
08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
He's already been given every opportunity. If you've been watching the SL games the past two years, you'd see that Gist is not a very good basketball player. In the few SL games he played this year, I saw no difference from what he was producing last year. He's just not improving at all fast enough rate.

I am not a huge fan of James Gist but I saw a big difference in Gist's over all game year-over-year. His shot anticipation and contesting shots was better. His understanding of passing lanes and help defense...screening...ownership in his role as a PF...all improved. The only thing missing, unfortunately was his outside shot, particularly from the arc

Obstructed_View
08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Gist is another example of the Spurs trying to force a guy into a role instead of just taking what players do well and making a team out of it. Asking a guy who was a ferocious shot blocker and inside presence to become Michael Finley was a failure. Not really a gigantic surprise.

admiralsnackbar
08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Gist is another example of the Spurs trying to force a guy into a role instead of just taking what players do well and making a team out of it. Asking a guy who was a ferocious shot blocker and inside presence to become Michael Finley was a failure. Not really a gigantic surprise.

You can afford to experiment with a 57th pick, can't you?

Blackjack
08-24-2010, 03:02 PM

He played well in his first SL, not so much in his second and got injured in his third. He didn't light up the Italian League.

That's all true. But for a 6th Big they'll probably end up cutting, and given the type of skills and physical tools he does bring, he makes a lot of sense for the role -- seems pretty ideal as a situational defender and rebounder in certain matchups, actually.

Some players need to be surrounded by talent to show what they can really bring to a team. Gist could be one of those guys. One of those glue guys that does all the little things on the court when he's out there on a good team. The guy's length, athleticism and motor would seem to offer some potential in that kind of a role, even if his skills alone don't tend to make him stand out on his own.

I'm not trying to tell you he deserves the spot on account of can't-miss talent, I'm simply saying he looks to be a pretty good option when you consider what he brings to the table and the good soldier he's been with the organization. That's all.

8FOR!3
08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Israel can have him. No offense to the guy, but I don't think we have a spot for him anyways.

ChumpDumper
08-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Gist is another example of the Spurs trying to force a guy into a role instead of just taking what players do well and making a team out of it. Asking a guy who was a ferocious shot blocker and inside presence to become Michael Finley was a failure. Not really a gigantic surprise.They asked him to become a power forward?

Solid D
08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
They asked him to become a power forward?

One would assume so since that is all he played during summer league in July.

EricB
08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
One would assume so since that is all he played during summer league in July.

If he's not a power forward nor a small forward. what hole should he be shoved into ?

admiralsnackbar
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Some players need to be surrounded by talent to show what they can really bring to a team. Gist could be one of those guys. One of those glue guys that does all the little things on the court when he's out there on a good team. The guy's length, athleticism and motor would seem to offer some potential in that kind of a role, even if his skills alone don't tend to make him stand out on his own.

That's a lot of hoping, Black.

Solid D
08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
If he's not a power forward nor a small forward. what hole should he be shoved into ?

That would be a question for coach Popovich, but if you want my opinion, he's an energy 4 off the bench. Get him to continue to work on his mid-range jumper and use him on high screen rolls. Defensively, match him up against less beefy 4s. He has pretty quick feet and good instincts. He would be injury protection as the 6th Big, if he wants to play in the Spurs system including stints with the Austin Toros.

spectator
08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
to both players, i would like to make a dedication:

na na na na
na na na na
hey hey hey
good bye

slick'81
08-24-2010, 06:44 PM
wtf is tyler wilkenson?!

superbigtime
08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Damn Tyler Wilkenson sticking it to the man! You go!

Solid D
08-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Wilkerson.

Blackjack
08-24-2010, 08:31 PM
That's a lot of hoping, Black.

Where did I say anything about "hope?"

I simply stated that he could be one of those guys and that it might be a decent move to find out if he is.

Let's not go crazy here. We're talking 6th Big and likely cut at or before midseason. He just happens to bring some decent attributes and there's a familiarity there for both the team and player. That's all I'm talking about.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2010, 01:20 AM
They asked him to become a power forward?

:lol Many layers of irony in the above post. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it was intentional. :toast

admiralsnackbar
08-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Where did I say anything about "hope?"

I simply stated that he could be one of those guys and that it might be a decent move to find out if he is.

Let's not go crazy here. We're talking 6th Big and likely cut at or before midseason. He just happens to bring some decent attributes and there's a familiarity there for both the team and player. That's all I'm talking about.

Alright, that's a lot of conditional speculation. Better? :lol

Blackjack
08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Alright, that's a lot of conditional speculation. Better? :lol

It's the rationale for giving him a look, rationale that makes sense given the options.

Better? :lol

ChumpDumper
08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
The options are Wilkerson and Gist.

Take the one who plays better.

Blackjack
08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
What are your thoughts on Wilkerson, Chump. I know next to nothing about the guy as a player (strengths/weaknesses and how he would/could help the team if he panned out).

ChumpDumper
08-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I really only know what I saw at summer league like most of us. He had more time to impress than Gist, but he always looked more aggressive IMO, and that paid off in later games.

Bruno
08-25-2010, 01:09 PM
The problem with Wilkerson is that Spurs can have only carry 13 players and stay under the tax with him while they can keep 14 players if they keep Gist. That's a huge edge for Gist.

Blackjack
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Former Herd hoops star on NBA mission (http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201008240483)
by Chuck McGill - Charleston Daily Mail

In his final NBA Summer League appearance in July, Tyler Wilkerson had an opportunity to leave a lasting impression.

The former Marshall basketball star needed to remind NBA personnel - the roster decision-makers - of his presence. Emphatically, if possible.

So, in a move that he made seem almost routine, Wilkerson took a pass from San Antonio Spurs teammate Alonzo Gee, elevated and dunked over 7-foot-3 Hasheem Thabeet with one hand.

As Wilkerson slammed the ball through the basket, Thabeet, the second overall pick in 2009, had to pick himself off the court at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

"I'm on a mission," Wilkerson said in a phone interview Monday from San Antonio, where he is working out in hopes of parlaying his summer performance into a full-time roster spot with the Spurs.

"I'm out here working, doing everything I can to make this team."

That showed in San Antonio's five Summer League games.

He averaged 11 points and 6.6 rebounds, shot 54 percent from the field and made 9-of-10 free throws. Against Thabeet's Grizzlies, the 6-foot-8, 240-pound Wilkerson concluded his five-game stint with 10 points, six boards and four steals. Two games earlier, he scored 20 points and had nine rebounds against the Los Angeles Lakers. In that game he was matched up with two familiar faces: former UTEP star Derrick Caracter, and West Virginia's Devin Ebanks.

The Spurs went 5-0. Wilkerson averaged 23 minutes and started three of the five wins.

"When you get an opportunity you have to seize it," said Wilkerson, who is 22 years old. "That was just me seizing it. I got an opportunity and I made the best of it."

Now Wilkerson has options.

Wilkerson has agreed to a deal with defending Israeli Super League champions Galil Gilboa. He can head overseas if the Spurs do not offer him a spot on their team.

"It's a deal we had on the table for some time," Wilkerson said. "I have it in case I don't make an NBA team. It's a great situation for me."

But, Wilkerson said he's growing more optimistic about his chances with the Spurs with each passing day. The organization continues to request Wilkerson's return to San Antonio to work out at the team's training complex.

There are five players there, including Gee, a 6-6 guard from Alabama, and James Gist, a 6-9 forward out of Maryland. Gee averaged 14.2 points and 5.2 rebounds. Gist posted an even 9 points and 5 boards a game.

The Spurs will likely hand out two roster spots to the final five competitors.

"We all played together in Summer League and we all played well," Wilkerson said. "I know my situation. They keep calling me back here every week. As long as they keep doing that, I'm all right."

phxspurfan
08-25-2010, 02:05 PM
iF4vV1YpVXk

JustinJDW
08-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Who the hell is Tyler Wikesnonsroneokson? Whoever he is, he can fuck off.