PDA

View Full Version : TMAC unlikely for Bulls

Srupsog
07-27-2010, 12:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5412508

From this article it looks like TMAC is physically fit to perform in the NBA, but doens't want to just come off the bench forever. With this scenario taking place, Should the spurs take a chance on him, we can only gain from signing him. What I like best about what TMAC said was first off, money and years doesn't matter to him and he wants to prove he's a starter in training camp. So from what it seems TMAC is willing to come off the bench, but if he is good enough to start he wants to start and he is willing play for little money and for whatever length contract, whether it be 10 days, 1 month, or 1 year ect.

Given the spurs situation, they could use a Starting SG which would allow Manu to do what he does best come off the bench. And if TMAC returns to being something like his former self, we get the biggest steal of the Free agency this summer.

Are Depth chart would probably look something like this:

PG: Tony Parker
SG:TMAC
SF: Richard Jefferson
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Tiago Splitter

PG: George Hill
SG: Manu Ginobili
SF:James Anderson/Malik Hairston/Gary Neal/Alonzo Gee
PF: DaJuan Blair/Matt Bonner
C: Antonio McDyesse

But what do you guys think?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Starting role without performing? Ain't gonna happen.

Srupsog
07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
I don't think we should give him the Starting SG spot automatically, but we should give him the opportunity to play for it, Chicago completely ruled that out for him.

edgar
07-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Yes that would be awesome! Lets do it Spurs.

ace3g
07-27-2010, 12:42 AM
If he was guaranteed to be able to play 70 games next season I'd go for it but he is still too much of a risk

Indazone
07-27-2010, 12:48 AM
McGrady was asked if he'd accept coming off the bench.

"If I was the player I was in a Knicks uniform, I would have no problem coming off the bench," he said. "But I have worked extremely hard and I'm far from that player. It's up to me in training camp to prove I'm a starter."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/mcgrady-works-out-for-bulls.html

Nathan89
07-27-2010, 01:04 AM
I would like it if the spurs get tmac. Even though the last time I saw him played I told my brother that he sucks now. He would have the potential to really improve are chances at a title if he was healthy and in shape.

Spursfanfromafar
07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Did anyone of you see T-Mac with the Knicks and briefly for Houston last year? He was pathetic. And "H" and "P" in capitals. His play was indirectly proportional to his Ego. Only thing that went for him was his passing. Everywhere else - shooting, athleticism, explosion, rebounding, effort, teamwork, locker room presence ...was a no show.

rayray2k8
07-27-2010, 02:33 AM
How about this? Fuck.. NO!

Besides, he would probably have to come off the bench, so throw away the idea of him playing in a spurs uniform.

PM5K
07-27-2010, 03:39 AM
This team needs guys that know that it isn't important who STARTS the game, but rather who FINISHES it.

Leonard Curse
07-27-2010, 05:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5412508

From this article it looks like TMAC is physically fit to perform in the NBA, but doens't want to just come off the bench forever. With this scenario taking place, Should the spurs take a chance on him, we can only gain from signing him. What I like best about what TMAC said was first off, money and years doesn't matter to him and he wants to prove he's a starter in training camp. So from what it seems TMAC is willing to come off the bench, but if he is good enough to start he wants to start and he is willing play for little money and for whatever length contract, whether it be 10 days, 1 month, or 1 year ect.

Given the spurs situation, they could use a Starting SG which would allow Manu to do what he does best come off the bench. And if TMAC returns to being something like his former self, we get the biggest steal of the Free agency this summer.

SG:Manu

SG: TMAC

to me this makes more sense, so tracey wont be schooled playing defense (not much of a consequence when playing scrubs)and can give us much needed scoring off the bench, since hes lost a few steps we can have him play against the bench to have the advantage on any matchup

ffadicted
07-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Yes, just plain yes

ceperez
07-27-2010, 05:47 AM
If he's willing to do what it takes for the team to win (i.e. play defense, rebound, come of the bench, work ass of in practice, don't complain about not playing etc.) then 100% yes.

Otherwise, if he's coming in with expectation without needing to prove it, then no.

MaNu4Tres
07-27-2010, 05:52 AM
If he's willing to do what it takes for the team to win (i.e. play defense, rebound, come of the bench, work ass of in practice, don't complain about not playing etc.) then 100% yes.

Otherwise, if he's coming in with expectation without needing to prove it, then no.

:lol can't start threads

SenorSpur
07-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Unless McGrady changes his perspective and is willing to accept a bench role, he's gonna have a hard time catching on with a contender. I don't care what he says, he's NOT the player he was pre-surgery.

Xevious
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM

SG:TMAC

SG: Manu Ginobili

If TMac were to start, it would make more sense to start him at the three and move RJ to the bench. I still think Anderson is going to start at SG with Manu returning to his sixth man role. And RJ plays best with Manu, so that could possibly be a viable option if the Spurs were to gamble on McGrady (they won't).

Gagnrath
07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
T-Mac is now a slower guy by far, he's 6'8" and should be unquestionably a 3 at this point in his career. I'd see how cheaply Icould sign him. If somewhere near his vet minimum baed on years in league or for the LLE I'd do it and tell him you can start if you can out play richard Jefferson for the role. Both you guys fight it out.If you can't successfully be a professional here and be a good lockerroom presence for our young guys we'll show you what injury feels like by giving you to the mexican mob. Any questions?

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-27-2010, 08:33 AM

I'm willing to do all these things, yet they won't sign me because I suck at basketball. Ditto for TMac.

Trimble87
07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Obviously T-Mac can't be guranteed minutes or a starting position to play here, but if he's willing to earn it on a Greg Popovich team than thats enough for me. Test his "its not about money" line and offer him a 3 year deal worth 3-4 million and tell hi to come prove hes not done. T-Mac can play at the 2 and the 3 so it certainly shores up our bench, and if he can get his shooting touch back thats fine, we don't need much more out of him.

Mark in Austin
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
I wonder what Duncan thinks of McGrady. There was a time when they spent some time together promoting / endorsing the same shoe brand - think there was even a magazine article with both of them and somebody else, maybe Garnett?

TimDunkem
07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
I wonder what Duncan thinks of McGrady. There was a time when they spent some time together promoting / endorsing the same shoe brand - think there was even a magazine article with both of them and somebody else, maybe Garnett?
You're right. I've read that article a couple of times before.

8FOR!3
07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
If he's starting I think it should be ahead of Jefferson. I always thought T-Mac made a better SF anyways. Our SG position is already stacked. But I don't mind him coming in and playing small forward and a little bit of 2 guard.

nkdlunch
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
so yall gonna take Tmac's word for it? that he's starting material???

:pctoss

Xevious
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
so yall gonna take Tmac's word for it? that he's starting material???

:pctoss
I'm just saying that it's on him to prove that he can still be productive. Obviously he should never be signed to any team with a guarantee of a starting job.

dbestpro
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
If money is not the problem and he wants to prove himself give him a non guaranteed contract. If he is all that and a bag of chips he can start and get his contract guaranteed. If he sucks then cut him. There, that's easy enough.

DesignatedT
07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I would love tmac. I haven't heard much tal about Joe much money he would demand though. Has he said how much he would be willing to play for? How much would Chicago even be able to give him? I know all we could offer is around 2 mil which makes it very near impossible he ends up here IMO.

gospursgojas
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Id take him only for the min and only to come off the bench

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
LXUfP7fUD5w

8FOR!3
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
LXUfP7fUD5w

Dislike.

rjv
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
major pass on t-mac...

Duncan2177
07-27-2010, 01:14 PM
I would like Tmac on the spurs.

Death In June
07-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm inclined to believe the guy can still produce solid numbers for a backup sf/sg. I'd like for the spurs to pick him up and use him at the backup 3, but I doubt that happens.

Baseline
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I would absolutely love to have him, but I think it's very unlikely to happen.

McGrady is a great passer and playmaker, and he would be great on the Spurs on the offensive end. He can run the point forward position extremely well, so in some ways it would be like having a Manu on the floor for the whole game. But because Pop is Pop, it just wouldn't work out. McGrady would be in the doghouse inside of two weeks.

My argument to Pop would be..."If you paid Finley for all those years and got zero defense and precious little production on offense, why wouldn't you take a chance on McGrady? And he couldn't be any worse than Mason was last year."

But Pop is Pop, and it makes far too much sense. So of course he won't do it.

TD 21
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
McGrady is one of my all-time favorites, but he makes no sense for the Spurs. He still thinks of himself as a superstar and as such, likely wouldn't be able to accept roughly 15 mpg off the bench, with limited ball time. Even in the event he did accept that role, he's far too erratic a shooter to be a reliable spot up shooter. He's best with the ball in his hands, where his excellent ball handling/passing ability for his size can be best utilized. He's also lost a ton of athleticism, to the point where he's incapable of defending even adequately at this point.

The Spurs need young, athletic wings, who shot the three well and defend. Ideally, it would be nice to have one player who could do both of those things (which is why, despite being old, Bell made sense). But they also need those players to not just accept, but embrace their roles. McGrady is a former top five player in the world and he still thinks of himself as at least All-Star caliber. The Spurs don't need that. It's not about the best talent; it's about the best fit.

UnWantedTheory
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I would most certainly take the risk.

Chillen
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
If the Bulls are passing him up after missing out on LeBron that can't be good.

TMTTRIO
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
We already have an injury prone player in Manu. Do we really need another one who is likely to not make it through the year healthy and we're not sure if he will really accept being a role player off the bench. I'd say pass.

DBMethos
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
He's worth a try for the vet min. Other than that, pass.

cantthinkofanything
07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I saw Hakeem on Pros vs Joes and he looked pretty good. We should see if he still wants to play.

TDMVPDPOY
07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
sign him to play defense and ball handler...can he still shoot, we dont need him to iso

Gagnrath
07-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Its about risk reward. For the biannual or vet min he's not a big risk and can always be cut, the sales of spurs T-Mac jerseys in china would probably make up for it, since last I checked he was the second or third biggest selling jersey there.

DJ Mbenga
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
tmac may still have talent but his ego is crap. he is worse than iverson

jermaine
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I saw Hakeem on Pros vs Joes and he looked pretty good. We should see if he still wants to play.

Lol. I was thinkin the same thang when I seen him doing Gates! He looks good an still seems quick on his feet! I know he good for 10mins off the bench!

Janko
07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
i dont' know his phisical condition but if he can give us 20 quality minutes it's really what we need in terms of playmaking and passing ability when manu is on the bench..

Fpoonsie
07-27-2010, 06:01 PM
LXUfP7fUD5w

Fuck you.

ElNono
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Sign him up for the vet him and see what he has left in the tank. If he pulls some shit or doesn't cut it, you can waive him.

SPURSGOAT
07-28-2010, 12:11 AM
3-4 seasons ago, yes.... now, hell no!

SPURSGOAT
07-28-2010, 12:12 AM
LXUfP7fUD5w

UGH!!! I was so pissed after that game... was unreal...