PDA

View Full Version : CNN Blames the Internet for the Shirley Sherrod hack job

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 01:55 AM
CNN is showing their oh so 'liberal slant' again....

:rolleyes

ESDPpk8RlZo

Remember, CNN helped carry Breitbarf's bogus ACORN story too..

That right there is why people are watching less M$M news and are instead turning to forums like Spurs talk to get real info...If you want the unbiased unadulterated truth you go to the freedom of the internet; That the lairs of these and other networks should control that unfettered truth or access to it, is Orwellian bullshit and corporate propaganda.

I'll take the freedom of the internet over these corporate shills any day of the week. Watching these twisted brainless liars, makes me so sick at the stomach, I feel like projectile puking all over the screen to cover their sick twisted shitheadedness....

SnakeBoy
07-27-2010, 02:44 AM
That right there is why people are watching less M$M news and are instead turning to forums like Spurs talk to get real info...

The ratings would seem to indicate they are turning to Fox News.

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Gingrich, well after the fact and trying to escape from looking silly for jumping on the Faux News bandwagon, blames Magic Negro for Gingrich firing Sherrod, proving that Gingrich is a follower, not a leader. No blame on his racist, Georgia self, no blame on Fox Race-Baiting Repug News

CNN is a business trying to build audience to sell to advertisers. CNN, like media corporation, doesn't give a shit about politics, or the truth, just audience ratings = advertising = profits.

Oh, Gee!!
07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
That right there is why people are watching less M$M news and are instead turning to forums like Spurs talk to get real info...

God help us all if people start coming to the political forum of Spurtalk for the truth. We're probably worse that any hack from cable news.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Gingrich, well after the fact and trying to escape from looking silly for jumping on the Faux News bandwagon, blames Magic Negro for Gingrich firing Sherrod, proving that Gingrich is a follower, not a leader. No blame on his racist, Georgia self, no blame on Fox Race-Baiting Repug News

CNN is a business trying to build audience to sell to advertisers. CNN, like media corporation, doesn't give a shit about politics, or the truth, just audience ratings = advertising = profits.

Dude, the White House fired Shirley Sherrod before her name was ever mentioned on Fox News. They peed their pants just THINKING about what Fox would say ...:lmao

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Dude, the White House fired Shirley Sherrod before her name was ever mentioned on Fox News. They peed their pants just THINKING about what Fox would say ...:lmao

for which fox did air the video without verifying it's accuracy..but hey, anything to stir up reverse racism is always good for the fox news followers..

TeyshaBlue
07-27-2010, 09:27 AM
for which fox did air the video without verifying it's accuracy..but hey, anything to stir up reverse racism is always good for the fox news followers..

"reverse racism"?

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
This story has already jumped the shark. Time to move on.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 10:21 AM
"reverse racism"?

where the black guys discriminate against the white guys... fox has been playing that angle for a while..

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
where the black guys discriminate against the white guys... fox has been playing that angle for a while..

Not nearly as long as the "Tea Party is racist" angle has been played by every other media outlet.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM

So the White House fires her, the NAACP talks smack about her, THEN Fox plays the tape and it's all Fox's fault...:lmao

You guys crack me up.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
So the White House fires her, the NAACP talks smack about her, THEN Fox plays the tape and it's all Fox's fault...:lmao

You guys crack me up.

I never said Fox was at fault.. I see you're back to making things up again and that is funny..:lmao

spursncowboys
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
so did cnn. why no outrage with rush limbaugh when all the media used false quotes? because she's black.

Winehole23
07-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Once something is reported, whether it's true or false the fact that an accepted news outlet reported it, or a furore was raised over it, is a story.

So, in the rush to get through the door first, journalists end up spreading lies, propaganda and misinformation.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
so did cnn. why no outrage with rush limbaugh when all the media used false quotes? because she's black.

because rush limbaugh is a piece of shit

DarkReign
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
God help us all if people start coming to the political forum of Spurtalk for the truth. We're probably worse that any hack from cable news.

To think you qualified your statement with the word "probably".

Wild Cobra
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
They did exactly what other do all the time. Air a good sounding story, without verification. the other are far more guilty of such things far morte often.

Remember the fake Bush records?

Wild Cobra
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
We're probably worse that any hack from cable news.
Speaking for yourself from experience?

LnGrrrR
07-27-2010, 03:01 PM
To think you qualified your statement with the word "probably".

At least our bias is out in the open. :)

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM

...the media matters time-line proves different...

FAUX News reported the fabrication, without verification, before Sherrod was fired...

Stringer_Bell
07-27-2010, 03:52 PM
They did exactly what other do all the time. Air a good sounding story, without verification. the other are far more guilty of such things far morte often.

Remember the fake Bush records?

I think the problem with this story, as with the Bush story, is that WE (the general American public) find them plausible, and most of the time, likely. Most assumed that Bush had something shady in his past, most thought reverse-racism was something that goes on even in the government.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM

...the media matters time-line proves different...

FAUX News reported the fabrication, without verification, before Sherrod was fired...

then "media matters" lied.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
then "media matters" lied.Could you show us your timeline proving media matters lied?

Winehole23
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
nm

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Could you show us your timeline proving media matters lied?

She said HERSELF that she was asked MONDAY MORNING to pull over to the side of the road and resign on her blackberry.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
She said HERSELF that she was asked MONDAY MORNING to pull over to the side of the road and resign on her blackberry.

I know that's what you heard but do you really understand the timeline? Are you going to rely on Fox News for this one?

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
They asked me to resign, and, in fact, they harassed me as I was driving back to the state office from West Point, Georgia yesterday," Sherrod told CNN. "I had at least three calls telling me the White House wanted me to resign…and the last one asked me to pull over to the side of the road and do it."

Sherrod said the final call came from Cheryl Cook, an undersecretary at the Department of Agriculture. Sherrod said White House officials wanted her to quit immediately because the controversy was "going to be on Glenn Beck tonight."

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
7:30 mark CHUMP

BbrfFtL5vfs

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
So when was that final call made?

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Give it up CHUMP. You're WRONG. AGAIN.

She had spent the night and was on a 3 hour drive back to her office.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
That's wierd because Fox's forum had a post at 1:41 pm on Monday the 19th regarding the racist Sherrod story..I guess this poster was looking into Tuesday

I wonder how the poster knew about the story of Fox's website when they hadn't reported it yet..that's wierd..

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Give it up CHUMP. You're WRONG. AGAIN.I made no assertion one way or the other. You were wrong about that.

She had spent the night and was on a 3 hour drive back to her office.Is there a specific time a person is allowed to drive?

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
That's wierd because Fox's forum had a post at 1:41 pm on Monday the 19th regarding the racist Sherrod story..I guess this poster was looking into Tuesday

I wonder how the poster knew about the story of Fox's website when they hadn't reported it yet..that's wierd..

And maybe he got the Sherrod racist story from Big Government or another site that picked it up?

The fact that the story was mentioned on a Fox internet forum certainly doesn't mean that Fox was covering it on TV before she was fired and you both know it.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
And maybe he got the Sherrod racist story from Big Government or another site that picked it up?

The fact that the story was mentioned on a Fox internet forum certainly doesn't mean that Fox was covering it on TV before she was fired and you both know it.

SO Fox did know about it ..and then reported it on Monday..:toast

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 04:46 PM
LET ME TYPE THIS REAL SLOW.

FOX NEWS DID NOT PLAY THE TAPE ON TV UNTIL AFTER SHE WAS FIRED.

If you or Media matters or anyone else says they did they are lying.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 04:53 PM

If you or Media matters or anyone else says they did they are lying.Well, she wasn't fired, so you are lying.

And you still have yet to establish the time she resigned.

I'm just curious about the actual time and all I get from you is ranting.

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 05:12 PM
CC can't prove diddly squat because Sherrod retired Tuesday Afternoon hours after Foxnews.com released this story on its website...

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/0721-originalfoxsherrodstory.jpg

...from Media Matters...

1:40 p.m. (approximately): Fox Nation accuses Sherrod of "discrimination caught on tape" before she resigned. Fox Nation linked to Breitbart's Big Government piece and posted the deceptively cropped clips of Sherrod's speech at the NAACP in a post titled, "Caught on Tape: Obama Official Discriminates Against White Farmer":

Media Matters (http://mediamatters.org/research/201007220004)

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, she wasn't fired, so you are lying.

And you still have yet to establish the time she resigned.

I'm just curious about the actual time and all I get from you is ranting.

Well clearly BEFORE Beck comes on at 5 Eastern. BTW, Beck didn't even mention her that afternoon. O'Reilly at 8 Eastern was the first to play the tape.

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
9:04 p.m.: "Fox News Alert": Hannity reports that Sherrod has resigned and discusses the incident with Gingrich. On his Fox News program, Sean Hannity reported that Sherrod "resigned just a short time ago after she was caught on tape appearing to tell an audience that she had used her position to racially discriminate against white farmers." Hannity then aired Breitbart's "shocking video." In a later segment, Fox News contributor Newt Gingrich stated: "Secretary Vilsack did exactly the right thing. I mean I often disagree with this administration. But firing her after that kind of viciously racist attitude was exactly the right thing to do." Hannity later stated: "My only thing is they weren't the ones that caught it. It was on Breitbart.com and it happened some time ago. So it's interesting that it took the new media to expose this." (accessed via Nexis)

DarrinS
Wow. This is as riveting as the chicken and egg controversy.

ChumpDumper
Well clearly BEFORE Beck comes on at 5 Eastern. BTW, Beck didn't even mention her that afternoon. O'Reilly at 8 Eastern was the first to play the tape.So you are moving the goalposts now.

OK.

As you have presented no evidence to the contrary, dan's statement and the Media Matters timeline stand as correct.

Perhaps you should go back and read both.

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Who cars about the timeline. Team Obama still shit themselves and acted prematurely.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
CC can't prove diddly squat because Sherrod retired Tuesday Afternoon hours after Foxnews.com released this story on its website...

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/0721-originalfoxsherrodstory.jpg

...from Media Matters...

1:40 p.m. (approximately): Fox Nation accuses Sherrod of "discrimination caught on tape" before she resigned. Fox Nation linked to Breitbart's Big Government piece and posted the deceptively cropped clips of Sherrod's speech at the NAACP in a post titled, "Caught on Tape: Obama Official Discriminates Against White Farmer":

Media Matters (http://mediamatters.org/research/201007220004)

LOL and Media Matters doesn't even know the time they may or may not have posted a small article on a website.

"approximately 1:40?"

Even if it's true, a little article on the internet with a LINK to the video on another site?

I stand by my statement. There wasn't a SINGLE DAMN THING on Fox News TV about Shirley Sherrod until after the White House demanded her resignation.

You guys are hysterical.

Do you get your daily talking points e-mailed to you?

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Who cars about the timeline.Let the adults talk.
Team Obama still shit themselves and acted prematurely.Sure, it was an overreaction to horribly sloppy and slanted right-wing "journalism."

Has Brietbart been in any way hurt by his massive fuckup?

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Let the adults talk.

Who? You and Nbadan? :lol

Has Brietbart been in any way hurt by his massive fuckup?

Hell if I know. I stopped caring about this story days ago.

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Sherrod resigned just before 5 in the afternoon...

Michael Clemente, senior vice president of news editorial, said the network’s news programs reported the story with caution. “When I heard about this Monday morning and saw it on Breitbart’s website, I said, ‘OK, could be a story, let’s check it out,’ ” Clemente said. “We did the normal fact-finding we would do on any story.”

At an afternoon editorial meeting Monday, Clemente urged the staff to first get the facts and obtain comment from Sherrod before going on air, according to internal notes from the meeting that were provided to The Times. “Let’s make sure we do this right,” he said.

Sherrod ended up resigning Monday afternoon, hours before O’Reilly broke the story on his show. The first reported piece on Fox News, by correspondent James Rosen, aired on Tuesday morning, and included a second video clip that added context to Sherrod’s comments.

But Fox’s commentators showed less restraint. O’Reilly continued to condemn Sherrod’s comments on his show Tuesday night, saying she made a mistake, even after it had emerged that her words had been misrepresented.

On Wednesday, the host said that he “did not analyze the entire transcript, and that was not fair.” Still, O’Reilly called her a "longtime liberal activist" and said the language Sherrod used suggested that she “very well may see things through a racial prism." He said she belonged in the private sector, not working for the government.

Faux News never made an attempt to contact Sherrod and verify the story before posting it on their website or before comments by wing-nut pundits spread the Breitbart fabrication on bg.com...

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 05:26 PM
LOL and Media Matters doesn't even know the time they may or may not have posted a small article on a website.

"approximately 1:40?"As that is a time before the first comment, it's a fair approximation.

Even if it's true, a little article on the internet with a LINK to the video on another site?On Fox Nation. You brag about the audience Fox News enjoys and now want to claim no one ever saw that internet video on that site.

I stand by my statement. There wasn't a SINGLE DAMN THING on Fox News TV about Shirley Sherrod until after the White House demanded her resignation.I stand by my statement that you moved the goalposts. That was not being discussed.

You guys are hysterical.Your misunderstanding of the issue is comical.

Do you get your daily talking points e-mailed to you?Do you listen to Rush?

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Who? You and Nbadan? :lolAnd CC, though his ranting is a bit childish at this point.

Hell if I know. I stopped caring about this story days ago.Which is why you are taking the time to read and post about it here. :tu

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Sherrod has repeatedly refused to speak with Fox.

[Sherrod]...said Fox News never checked the facts with her before posting a story and the video clip. "Not before they reported it," she said of Fox's negligence. "They have called me today and initially I had said yes (to an interview), but I thought about it and I did not think they intended to be fair in their reporting. They are going to say what they want to say regardless of what I say."

She said Fox showed no professionalism in continuing to bother her for an interview, but failing to correct their coverage. "I think they should but they won't. They intended exactly what they did. They were looking for the result they got yesterday," she said of Fox. "I am just a pawn. I was just here. They are after a bigger thing, they would love to take us back to where we were many years ago. Back to where black people were looking down, not looking white folks in the face, not being able to compete for a job out there and not be a whole person."

Still, Fox continued to push for an interview with her, Sherrod said. "It was unbelievable. I am refusing to be on there. They have been calling me and calling me. I have refused to do an interview because they are biased," she explained. "I don't think Fox News does it fairly. It is worse so now. I have sat and listened to the way they cover the news even before this administration and I saw what was going on."

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Sherrod has repeatedly refused to speak with Fox.The time for Fox to talk with her was before they reported it.

Or, you know, watch the whole tape.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
On Fox Nation. You brag about the audience Fox News enjoys and now want to claim no one ever saw that internet video on that site.

For the record, I didn't even know "Fox Nation" existed until I saw it in this thread.

It hardly has the popularity of Fox News TV.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Or, you know, watch the whole tape.

Tell that to the White House that fired her before Fox News showed the tape on TV. A reasonable person would normally take the firing as verification of the tapes authenticity.

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 05:41 PM
The time for Fox to talk with her was before they reported it.

Exactly, after the ACORN tapes were proven to have been heavily edited from the truth, there is no way FAUX news should have put themselves on the line based on another released Breitbart tape...they failed to do their homework plain and simple..

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Mistakes were made by all. I just find it ludicrous that you and your liberal quack cohorts are trying to blame this whole mess on Fox after the fact.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 05:43 PM
For the record, I didn't even know "Fox Nation" existed until I saw it in this thread.

It hardly has the popularity of Fox News TV.Not at issue.

Tell that to the White House that fired her before Fox News showed the tape on TV.I already said the White House overreacted.

A reasonable person would normally take the firing as verification of the tapes authenticity.The authenticity of the tape was not in question.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Mistakes were made by all. I just find it ludicrous that you and your liberal quack cohorts are trying to blame this whole mess on Fox after the fact.I blame Brietbart mostly.

And Fox.

And anyone else who reported the story without watching the entire speech.

And I blame the NAACP and the White House for overreacting to really, really bad journalism.

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Shouldn't the blame for overreaction be on the UsDA and specifically on Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack?

the administration fired the woman based on Vilsack's reading of a transcript of a video on a conservative website that left the inaccurate impression that Sherrod, a black Department of Agriculture official, had deliberately not helped a white man save his family farm in 1986 when she worked for a Georgia nonprofit.

This is a good woman. She's been put through hell," Vilsack said Wednesday. "I could have done and should have done a better job." Vilsack said the decision to fire Sherrod had been his and his alone.

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-agriculture-race-20100722,0,2676761.story)

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Vilsack said the decision to fire Sherrod had been his and his alone.
:lmao

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/h6/skills-shovel-470-0908.jpg

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Do you have proof otherwise? thought not...

Winehole23
07-28-2010, 03:31 AM
I blame Breitbart mostly.Breitbart broke it.

And anyone else who reported the story without watching the entire speech.The first day, everybody. Then CNN blames it on the reporting from Breitbart they never checked for themselves. Only they don't say "Breitbart." Instead they blame "bloggers".

What, they didn't have time to watch the entire speech? Or they all just ran with Breitbart's artfully edited clip, fearing they would be the last ones through the door with it?

And I blame the NAACP and the White House for overreacting to really, really bad journalism.Yep. NYT and Jon Stewart took NAACP/Obama/Vilsack down on this point, hard. It's a solid observation.

Winehole23
07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Has Breitbart been in any way hurt by his massive fuckup?Does this hurt?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/36832_RNC_Fundraiser_to_Feature_Andrew_Breitbart

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 07:51 AM

If you or Media matters or anyone else says they did they are lying.
Seems here being fired would be verification enough the story was true!

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 07:53 AM

I read the point of her being fired was when they asked for her resignation, which was before she actually resigned. They would have fired he if she hadn't given it.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Seems here being fired would be verification enough the story was true!Which story?

Nbadan
07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
....'the story' ....that's exactly what it was, a fictional story supported by a edited tape put out by a wing-nut site with a dubious history of Atwater type political dirty games...now Breitbart is a 'blogger' though

Wild Cobra
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
....'the story' ....that's exactly what it was, a fictional story supported by a edited tape put out by a wing-nut site with a dubious history of Atwater type political dirty games...now Breitbart is a 'blogger' though
Please explain just how it was edited other than just being a snippit with her words added.

Nbadan
07-29-2010, 10:11 PM
...it's all about context....he cut the tape short to manipulate the context to fit his agenda...that's the same as directly editing the content...

Wild Cobra
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
...it's all about context....he cut the tape short to manipulate the context to fit his agenda...that's the same as directly editing the content...
The leftist media and pundits do that all the time. Maybe you libtards are finally learning that.

Nbadan
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM

No one does this worse than the Rush, Glenn Beckkk, and Hannity wing-nuts....it's in the main repertoire' for this crowd

Nbadan
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Unlike with ACORN, Breitbart might have to face the music this time...

Shirley Sherrod To Sue Andrew Breitbart..

SAN DIEGO — Ousted Agriculture Department employee Shirley Sherrod said Thursday she will sue a conservative blogger who posted an edited video of her making racially tinged remarks last week.

Sherrod made the announcement in San Diego at the National Association of Black Journalists annual convention.

The edited video posted by Andrew Breitbart led Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to ask her to resign, a decision he reconsidered after seeing the entire video of her March speech to a local NAACP group. In the full speech, Sherrod spoke of racial reconciliation and lessons she learned after initially hesitating to help a white farmer save his home.

Vilsack and President Barack Obama later called Sherrod to apologize for her hasty ouster. Vilsack has offered her a new job at the department, which she is still considering.

Huff (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/29/shirley-sherrod-to-sue-an_n_663656.html)

Wild Cobra
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM

No one does this worse than the Rush, Glenn Beckkk, and Hannity wing-nuts....it's in the main repertoire' for this crowd

Sure, they sometimes get it wrong. That's the exception. Liberals get it wrong more often than right.

Nbadan
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Faux News Exec Confirms it Did Peddle Sherrod Story Before She Was Fired

it's always helpful when people inside Fox News confirm what Media Matters has reported as fact, even if the channel's outside defenders prefer to toil in conspiracy as they flail around desperately trying to make up excuses for Rupert Murdoch's channel. Not that I think this confirmation from inside Fox News will quiet the online boo birds, but it's worth noting now that they're claiming both Media Matters and Fox News are lying about the facts in the case.

Good luck with that one guys.

This by-now tiresome debate centers around whether or not Fox News jumped on Andrew Breitbart's bogus Shirley Sherrod smear campaign. We all know that on the day it broke online, Bill O'Reilly hyped the story on his primetime show, presented Sherrod as a racist, and demanded she "resign immediately." Of course, at the time O'Reilly didn't have the slightest clue what the whole story of the Sherrod tape was. But that didn't stop him from maligning a black women in the Obama administration. (O'Reilly later apologized to Sherrod.)

So if O'Reilly was demanding Sherrod's ouster, that meant Fox News covered the story before she was forced out, right? Not quite. While his show tapes at 5 p.m., it doesn't air until 8 p.m., and Sherrod resigned shortly before 8 p.m. and July 19. So technically Fox News, or so the claim goes, didn't cover the story before she resigned and so all those people who claim Fox peddled the Sherrod attack are smearing Fox News!

But of course, Fox News did peddle the story before Sherrod resigned. Fox News peddled the story online. And Fox News peddled it in two different online forums prior to Sherrod's resignation on July 19.

And in a new report from Politico, Fox News Senior Vice President of News Michael Clemente confirms that fact ...

Politico (http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http%3A%2F%2Fdyn.politico.com%2Fprintstory.c fm%3Fuuid%3D1B47C63B-18FE-70B2-A88568269D9BA857)

Nbadan
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
From Politico...

FoxNews.com was not the only news organization to publish web stories about the video that Monday afternoon. WCBS-TV, New York's CBS affiliate, published a web story about the video that was linked to by the Drudge Report around 4:30 p.m. Monday afternoon. Like the other web stories, the CBS affiliate's story was updated the next day to reflect Sherrod's resignation.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution was also reported to have carried the story on Monday, but no record exists in its archives. A spokeswoman for AJC said the paper did report it on its website on Monday evening, but, "Our initial posting followed and was attributed to Fox."

Clemente noted that, although FoxNews.com did put out a story before Sherrod's resignation was announced, it was published after she actually resigned, since it has been widely reported that she was pressured to get her resignation in before Glenn Beck's 5 p.m. show on Fox.

But more broadly, Clemente said he has been around the block enough times to recognize the telltale signs of a fishy story, which was why he issued the note of caution to his staff.

"I've been doing this since 1978, when I started at ABC, so I've seen what has happened," he said. "Mistakes were made. After a few years, you start to get a bit of a gut feeling about was this a portion of a story, or is this the whole story?"

Why that didn't happen on the website on the Sherrod story "will be addressed internally," he said.

Politico (http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=1B47C63B-18FE-70B2-A88568269D9BA857)

FAUX News, nor its wing-nut shills, have not retracted any of its initial accusation against Sherrod but have spun this incident as a over-reaction by the Obama adminstration...

ChumpDumper
07-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Please explain just how it was edited:downspin:

ChumpDumper
07-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Sure, they sometimes get it wrong. That's the exception. Liberals get it wrong more often than right.Prove it.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Unlike with ACORN, Breitbart might have to face the music this time...

Shirley Sherrod To Sue Andrew Breitbart..

Huff (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/29/shirley-sherrod-to-sue-an_n_663656.html)

I'm thinking she is going to have a hard time proving damages. USDA offered her a better job than she had before even if she chose not to take it. At that point the financial damages become voluntary.

If anything, the whole situation enhanced her reputation instead of damaging it.

As for "pain and suffering" hopefully she finds that those settlements don't come near as easy when you actually have to make your case before a judge/jury.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm thinking she is going to have a hard time proving damages. Breitbart created a bogus scandal that led to Sherrod losing her job, and very briefly, her reputation. How is that not damaging?

If anything, the whole situation enhanced her reputation instead of damaging it.Did Breitbart running the video clip enhance Sherrod's reputation, or the reverse?

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Did Breitbart running the video clip enhance Sherrod's reputation, or the reverse?

The BB clip was the trigger to a situation that ended up enhancing her reputation.

The key to civil lawsuits is proving damages. If there are no damages then the way the system is supposed to work there is no financial settlement.

In some cases they may rule for the plaintiff (example" Breitbart was reckless) and award $1 in damages if there were no actual damages.

Show me where she has been damaged. She's a celebrity. she will end up making millions off of Breitbarts video. Will you buy her book?

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Lost her job, had her reputation smeared on national TV.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
I'll probably not buy the book.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Lost her job, had her reputation smeared on national TV.

Within 24 hours got an apology and got offered a better job by the same people with the opportunity to make even more money than she was making before, plus got her reputation enhanced nationwide to the point of sainthood.

win-win for Shirley.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
So she didn't get her job back. Did Breitbart apologize to Sherrod? Must have missed that..

boutons_deux
07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
win-win-win if she beats scumbag Breitbart in court.

scumbag Breitbart is still hero to scumbag right-wingers, like Fabulous Fabrice is still a hero on Wall St for his successful $1B Abacaus scam.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
LOL @ CC arguing that Sherrod basically owes Breitbart a debt of gratitude for his unethical, unprofessional smear.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
So she didn't get her job back. Did Breitbart apologize to Sherrod? Must have missed that..

She voluntarily turned down the job offer. Big difference.

Apologies have nothing to do with civil lawsuits unless that is a condition of a settlement.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 09:59 AM
LOL @ CC arguing that Sherrod basically owes Breitbart a debt of gratitude for his unethical, unprofessional smear.

Laughing at you trying to say she was damaged.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Did she get her job back?

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
She voluntarily turned down the job offer. Big difference.I can't quite see how the job offer remedies the shabby way she was fired, nor why she should be content to accept another job she didn't ask for.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I can't quite see how the job offer remedies the shabby way she was fired, nor why she should be content to accept another job she didn't ask for.

It helps to understand a little about civil law. She is required to prove monetary damage in order to receive compensation from BB.

I am saying under the circumstances that is an extremely high hurdle for her to meet.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
It helps to understand a little about civil law. She is required to prove monetary damage in order to receive compensation from BB.I get that. Aren't damage to a person's reputation and pain and suffering part of the equation too?

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Before we know the nature of the action Sherrod may take against Brreitbart, isn't it a little soon to weigh in on whether she can meet the burden?

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Seems like a ready made libel case to me. Didn't Breitbart act with reckless disregard for the truth?

boutons_deux
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
"Didn't Breitbart act with reckless disregard for the truth"

reckless? GMAFB intentional

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Much harder to prove intent, but that seems plausible to me.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Seems like a ready made libel case to me. Didn't Breitbart act with reckless disregard for the truth?

He published a portion of a tape that were her exact, unaltered words.

Good luck getting libel out of that.

Look. I'm not defending Breitbart. I think what he did sucked.

That doesn't mean SS can get anywhere in a civil suit, though. She has a terribly weak case.

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Maybe, maybe not. We'll see, CC.

Wild Cobra
07-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Since when does he matter to a liberal?

Years later, and Dan Rather still hasn't apologized for those phony Bush memos his own experts said were forgeries.

Shit happens. Gert over it.

Wild Cobra
07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
You libtards really are amusing. Expecting the media left of center to appologize, but never... I mean never, expect the left of center media to do the same.

Fucking low life hypocrites. That's all you are.

admiralsnackbar
07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
You libtards really are amusing. Expecting the media left of center to appologize, but never... I mean never, expect the left of center media to do the same.

Fucking low life hypocrites. That's all you are.

I take it you're enjoying another Jaegermeister afternoon, Cobra? :lol

Winehole23
07-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Since when does he matter to a liberal?

Years later, and Dan Rather still hasn't apologized for those phony Bush memos his own experts said were forgeries.

Shit happens. Gert over it.Context, WC. CC brought up the White House's apology to Sherrod. I pointed out that has no bearing on Sherrod's beef with Breitbart.

Please catch up.

Wild Cobra
07-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I take it you're enjoying another Jaegermeister afternoon, Cobra? :lol
Just home from work about an hour ago. only finish a half bottle of Inversion so far.

Inversion IPA (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/year-round-brews/inversion-ipa/default.aspx)

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/bottle-inversion-ipa.gif