PDA

View Full Version : Why is every crime drama set in Boston?

monosylab1k
07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
After seeing previews for the shitty looking new Ben Affleck movie, it just struck me that just about every damn movie these days is set in Boston. Especially any crime dramas.

Is this a direct result of the success of The Departed? Or has this been going on for a while and I haven't noticed? I don't know about all of you but I think I've had my fill of every movie and show being filled with shitty Boston accents.

"Did you kill my dwaughtah?"

Viva Las Espuelas
07-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Maybe a cheap place to shoot. Cheaper insurance. Who knows. Cheaper beer.

The Gemini Method
07-27-2010, 10:04 AM
What other recent movies have there been in Bawston?

And yes, that Ben Affleck flick sullied the preview set that came with my Inception viewing. I'm not sure if its in Boston, but the new Tron looks neat.

Medvedenko
07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
It's the departed effect....

It's the new New York for crime movies.

Oh, and that BenAffleck movie looks really good, considering he's from Boston it makes sense for him to shoot a movie there.

hater
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
one of the few remaining big cities with majority white ppl there.

mookie2001
07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
It's because every chode who sees it can be like /oh that's Boston

That's a Boston accent

Ben afflecks from Boston

It's like the bowl championship series of movie settings

Johnny RIngo
07-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Might be the Dennis Lehane influence considering the fact that he's written the novels that Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone were based on. He's also credited with writing a few episodes of the "The Wire".

Also, while there's been been more than a few Boston-based crime dramas in recent years, there's been a shitload more located in NY or LA(which is understandable considering how large both cities are).

monosylab1k
07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Oh, and that BenAffleck movie looks really good

:lmao

monosylab1k
07-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Ben Affleck just better be happy that the retarded M. Night Shyamalan elevator movie had a trailer 10x worse, otherwise everybody would be mocking The Town. People laughed at that Devil trailer harder than they did at the RDJ/Galifianakis trailer.

The worst type of trailer is the "give you the entire movie in 2 minutes and leave nothing to anticipate" which is exactly what the trailer for The Town was. You saw basically every plot turn in that trailer. It's a good sign the movie is going to suck too. "Oh, you're not impressed by the trailer, well how bout if we show you that Ben Affleck is actually the guy who kidnapped his own girlfriend! Bam! Oh, now there's no reason for you to see the movie"

AnthonyM
07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, Gone Baby Gone was directed by Affleck though...so I mean...ya know...there's that connection...

Mystic River is one of the only other crime drama that I can remember being in Boston other than the Departed...I think everyone just likes the accent from there...

Also, no Will Hunting or Staff Sgt. Dignam in this thread yet? I'm surprised.

monosylab1k
07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
What other recent movies have there been in Bawston?

That last Mel Gibson movie before he flushed his career down the toilet. Didn't see it, but the previews make it obvious. "Did you kill my dwaughtah?"

There's that shitty looking tv show with Angie Harmon that's supposed to be in Boston.

Staff Sgt. Dignam
07-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah, Gone Baby Gone was directed by Affleck though...so I mean...ya know...there's that connection...

Mystic River is one of the only other crime drama that I can remember being in Boston other than the Departed...I think everyone just likes the accent from there...

Also, no Will Hunting or Staff Sgt. Dignam in this thread yet? I'm surprised.

I'm not sure why you're so worried about what threads I post in, you cock tugging homo.

AnthonyM
07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Ah, there it is.

Booharv
07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Truthfully its the only American place famous for having a non ethnic gangster population. You know how Hollywood loves casting Whites in movies.

Zelophehad
07-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Gone Baby Gone was a very good movie, and the source book is very good so I wouldn't expect this to be bad actually.

redzero
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
I swear to you I'm not a cohwp!

AnthonyM
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Gone Baby Gone was a very good movie, and the source book is very good so I wouldn't expect this to be bad actually.

It really was a good movie...still not sure what I'd do at the end there

LnGrrrR
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Cuz Bahstahn's wicked pissah, that's why ya fahk!

Johnny RIngo
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Mystic River is one of the only other crime drama that I can remember being in Boston other than the Departed

There's also the two Boondock Saints movies.

Zelophehad
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
This thread needs this pic.

http://www.grapeshot.net/userfiles/Image/IrishAss.jpg

nkdlunch
07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Truthfully its the only American place famous for having a non ethnic gangster population. You know how Hollywood loves casting Whites in movies.

we got a winner

it's the only place a red-headed guy can look "cool"

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Why is every crime drama set in Boston?
Why are you only watching Boston crime drama's?

JMarkJohns
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
The Boondock Saints seemingly started the location as a trend in the last dozen years, with The Departed taking the location/setting and maximizing its potential.

I think it also has something to do with so many name actors being fans of or from Boston. Affleck, Damon, Leary, Chiklas, several others. It is stupid, but no more so than New York or Los Angeles settings, which are as played out, only they have had more balance throughout the decades.