PDA

View Full Version : BP oil spill: Where is the oil?

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-crude-mother-nature-breaks-slick/story?id=11254252

(site has video of the story)

For 86 days, oil spewed into the Gulf of Mexico from BP's damaged well, dumping some 200 million gallons of crude into sensitive ecosystems. BP and the federal government have amassed an army to clean the oil up, but there's one problem -- they're having trouble finding it.

At its peak last month, the oil slick was the size of Kansas, but it has been rapidly shrinking, now down to the size of New Hampshire.

Today, ABC News surveyed a marsh area and found none, and even on a flight out to the rig site Sunday with the Coast Guard, there was no oil to be seen.

Sportcamper
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
There you have it folks…Darrin says the plant is safe, get back to work, nothing to see here…What oil spill, those new found tar balls on the beach is just natural seepage…

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 11:12 AM
There you have it folks…Darrin says the plant is safe, get back to work, nothing to see here…What oil spill, those new found tar balls on the beach is just natural seepage…

No. Hardcore right-wing media outlet, ABC News, reported it.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Major media is just pissed they don't have any oily birds to take pictures of. It's the old "out of sight out of mind" thing...the fact that theres bazillions of gallons of dispersant/emulsified oil pooled at 3000 feet obviously doesn't matter.

Wild Cobra
07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Major media is just pissed they don't have any oily birds to take pictures of. It's the old "out of sight out of mind" thing...the fact that theres bazillions of gallons of dispersant/emulsified oil pooled at 3000 feet obviously doesn't matter.
And Rahm Emanual doesn't have a disaster to exploit any more.

Winehole23
07-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Um, is this thing all over WC? I must have missed that.

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
The Big Oil shills are exposing themselves.

Ugly, huh?

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
The Big Oil shills are exposing themselves.

Ugly, huh?

LOL. Diane Sawyer is a big oil shill.

doobs
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
The great missed opportunity was early on, when Obama could have waived the Jones Act and allowed foreign tanker-skimmers to come in and suck up oil before it dispersed too much.

But eventually nature tends to heal itself. I hope that's what's happening now. But I guess we'll see.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
So Obama gets credit for cleaning the gulf... great job WC..:lmao

boutons_deux
07-27-2010, 12:46 PM
"Jones Act"

a right-wing canard, was NEVER an issue.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
The great missed opportunity was early on, when Obama could have waived the Jones Act and allowed foreign tanker-skimmers to come in and suck up oil before it dispersed too much.The place the oil was before it "dispersed too much" is not subject to the Jones act.

You've been fooled.

Again.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 01:30 PM
The place the oil was before it "dispersed too much" is not subject to the Jones act.

You've been fooled.

Again.

And to be effective they would have had to operate out of US ports (they have to get rid of the oil they skim, refuel, etc.) which was prohibited by the Jones act.

As usual Chump just tells part of the story.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
And to be effective they would have had to operate out of US ports (they have to get rid of the oil they skim, refuel, etc.) which was prohibited by the Jones act.

As usual Chump just tells part of the story.And foreign ships were working in the Gulf and using US ports.

As usual CC just tells part of the story.

Trainwreck2100
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
didn't a storm go through that area?

Wild Cobra
07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Um, is this thing all over WC? I must have missed that.
It probably is. Hard to say though.

Wild Cobra
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
So Obama gets credit for cleaning the gulf... great job WC..:lmao
You have a funny way of extrapolating things.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
And foreign ships were working in the Gulf and using US ports.

As usual CC just tells part of the story.

And every single one had to wait to get "special permission" to use US ports, sometimes delayed for weeks.

again Chump spins and spins, but always to the left.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 02:06 PM
didn't a storm go through that area?

:lmao

ChumpDumper
07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
And every single one had to wait to get "special permission" to use US ports, sometimes delayed for weeks.So not all the time?

Please tell us all the average delay time for foreign ships working the relief operation. You profess to know so much about it -- share your expansive knowledge with the rest of us.

Also tell us how long the ships can go without refueling.

Thanks in advance.

again Chump spins and spins, but always to the left.You were the one pretending no foreign ships ever worked the Gulf.

Spin away.

Trainwreck2100
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
:lmao

so did it miss, i wasn't really following

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
so did it miss, i wasn't really following

non-event. Fell apart in the gulf.

Winehole23
07-27-2010, 02:32 PM
It probably is. Hard to say though.That didn't stop you upstream. You made it look easy.

Wild Cobra
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Did you guys hear?

They are sending Hayward to Siberia!

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Did you guys hear?

They are sending Hayward to Siberia!

Yeah, I got the irony of that...

Nbadan
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
How are ABC News, Stephonopolis, and now-retired Charles Gibson not on the wing-nut payroll like John Stousell?

DarrinS
07-27-2010, 07:19 PM
How are ABC News, Stephonopolis, and now-retired Charles Gibson not on the wing-nut payroll like John Stousell?

Are you going to add Anderson Cooper to your list of "wing-nuts"?

I love his question at about 25 sec. in.

FvPuO_jt8eI

Mr. Peabody
07-27-2010, 08:11 PM
And every single one had to wait to get "special permission" to use US ports, sometimes delayed for weeks.

again Chump spins and spins, but always to the left.

I thought Thad Allen said that no one had requested waivers of the Jones Act -

Q-CONFUSION ABOUT THE JONES ACT & WHETHER OR NOT IT IS IMPEDING OPERATIONS - CAN YOU EXPLAIN; AND HAVE THERE BEEN ANY EXPEDITED WAIVERS REQUESTED, IF YOU EVEN, INDEED, NEED THAT?

"I think there's been a lot of confusion about that and I think we posted talking points on a background paper on deepwaterhorizonrespoonse.com or go to our joint information center."

"Basically, if you're going to travel between u.s ports or do coast wise trade, you have to do that on a u.s. flagged vessel. For vessels that are going to be operating offshore, there's no jones act waiver required. So, we're really talking about foreign vessels would be operating inside 3 miles. "We haven't had any need to have those kind of vessels operate in there. Let me differentiate between skimmers. When I say skimmer, I mean, that's a ship with organic capability to recover oil. It's built to do that, versus skimming equipment. That's where you put a boom and some collection equipment, you tow it behind a shrimp boat and you vacuum the oil out. Equipment does not fall under the Jones Act. We need both. The most rare commodity we have right now, we've got pretty much up to speed on boom, but skimmers are our critical mass right now. We need to put those wherever we can get them. And we want to get them from where ever they are available. And to the extent that foreign equipment and skimmers are available, and can be use out there, we have accepted foreign offers of assistance, BP is buying skimming equipment and skimmers from overseas in areas that they normally operate, Mexico, Norway where they have oil operations is where we're getting it from mostly. So, to date nobody has come for a Jones Act waiver. We have expedited procedures to go with customs and border protection which would grant it, I'm willing to do that. It not only relates to skimming equipment but potentially it could relate to the amount of dredges that are available for some of the barrier island construction. But to date, no Jones Act waivers have been requested."

Read more: http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/17/thad-allen-updates-on-oil-spill-relief-well-flow-rate-jones-act/#ixzz0uw1wBv2W

RandomGuy
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I got the irony of that...

Chump asked you some fair questions.

You didn't answer them.

Why is that?