PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid of the lakers???

lilsupa
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
As you can see I don't post here much but I do read what most have to say and I've noticed a trend.

I would like to know why does everyone on here have the lakers taking the top spot..Please explain

I feel as though the top spot is open for grabs, the lakers are good but they are not what you all make then out to be. "Kobe Gasol & Bynum" Are you guys afraid of them that much that you put your team second to them. I have been a spurs fan for many years and not once have I put them second to any team in the league. Look back to last year and you will see that the spurs did well against them.

So tell me what's the problem and don't say because we have and we we resigned Jefferson and Bonner cause that's BS.. Yes Jefferson had an off season but he was very productive and active last year, and Bonner had a very good year, he was better before the injury but he still made an impact during the season.

With that said once again please explain why the lakers are due for the top spot because I just don't see it.

hater
07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
the only ppl who should be afraid of the lakers are young white female hotel workers

DesignatedT
07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
they're the champs and the best team until proven otherwise.

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep, they deserve respect as champs. I'm hoping the Spurs meet them in the playoffs unless someone better shows themselves during the season.

4down
07-27-2010, 10:33 AM
They are projected to be first becasue they won last year.

Man In Black
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
If... Perkins doesn't go down in game 6, or Artest doesn't bail out Bean from his poor shooting, free throw disparity notwithstanding, it'd be the Celtics that media would push. LAL fan & bandwagon would be talking about how bad Bynum is & how soft Gasol is, or how Odom is inconsistent because he's married to the fatter, uglier sister. That the Lakers will be the best is all perception. Their roster will be different. True, they're defending champs but this is a new season. I'd love to see them not 3peat. That'd be a first for both Bean & PJax. Spurs... Make it happen!

8FOR!3
07-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm much less afraid than I would've been last year. We've got a much better team this year and if anything they're a little worse. I've come to the conclusion that while I would've liked the way Barnes would've fit in as a Spur, he'll be a liability for LA next year and Steve Blake sucks. That + the fact that they're all 1 year older doesn't make me fear LA. I'd rather fear the deer tbh.

rascal
07-27-2010, 11:12 AM
As you can see I don't post here much but I do read what most have to say and I've noticed a trend.

I would like to know why does everyone on here have the lakers taking the top spot..Please explain

I feel as though the top spot is open for grabs, the lakers are good but they are not what you all make then out to be. "Kobe Gasol & Bynum" Are you guys afraid of them that much that you put your team second to them. I have been a spurs fan for many years and not once have I put them second to any team in the league. Look back to last year and you will see that the spurs did well against them.

So tell me what's the problem and don't say because we have and we we resigned Jefferson and Bonner cause that's BS.. Yes Jefferson had an off season but he was very productive and active last year, and Bonner had a very good year, he was better before the injury but he still made an impact during the season.

With that said once again please explain why the lakers are due for the top spot because I just don't see it.

Spurs went 2-2 with the lakers. That is about as Well as you can expect considering how poorly they have been since the gasol trade.

The spurs have had a bad record against the lakers since the Gasol trade.

rascal
07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm much less afraid than I would've been last year. We've got a much better team this year and if anything they're a little worse. I've come to the conclusion that while I would've liked the way Barnes would've fit in as a Spur, he'll be a liability for LA next year and Steve Blake sucks. That + the fact that they're all 1 year older doesn't make me fear LA. I'd rather fear the deer tbh.

That is really logical thinking Barnes would be good for the Spurs but is bad for the lakers. The Lakers are 1 year older but the spurs are not.

VBM
07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
I have been a spurs fan for many years and not once have I put them second to any team in the league.

Pop has a history of tinkering with lineups and resting the stars with the playoffs in mind...in essence, he'll tank games during the reg. season while thinking big picture. You don't get the number 1 seed that way...

rascal
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM
I personally wish that the Spurs had played the lakers in the first round. They would have given them a run for their money.

At most 2 games they would have won. The lakers would have slacked off and given a couple games away in the first round but when they needed to win they would have. They would have toyed with the spurs. the spurs did not have the size to matchup.

The fo did not put the roster together last year to be a serious contender.
Too much reliance on Bonner and McDyess to have put up any challenge to the lakers.

rascal
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
They are projected to be first becasue they won last year.

And the year before.

E-RockWill
07-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Do they start the season being the favorite? Sure, they're back-to-back champs. Do they finish the season #1? Maybe. Personally, I don't think they 3-peat. I don't know why, exactly, "....I just don't see it." (props to the OP) As far as our Spurs are concerned, worry about seeding when we get to the playoffs.

I am, however, interested to see how the Barnes/Artest dynamic plays out.

There's gonna be some goooood interwebbin' if it goes to the shitter.....

Nathan89
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM

:td:td:td Do you really believe this?

The Lakers best team but they may not be the number 1 seed in the west. If they are the 2 seed the 8th seed will be happy with that seed and the 7th seed will want to be the 8th seed.

alchemist
07-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Afraid? No, it's just basketball. Do I respect them and expect them to reach the finals again? Yes. I don't see any team in the West beating them in a 7 game series, I hope it happens though.

Xevious
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
They've won the west three years in a row and the finals twice. And they've actually made improvements to their roster this summer. They are the champs until somebody takes it from them.

Solid D
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
"Appropriate fear".

The Lakers are loaded with talent, a great coaching staff, one of the best players of all time and a couple of decent bench replacements have come on board. They are worthy of respect.

E-RockWill
07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
"Appropriate fear"

Well said. :toast

Methodmusicman
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I have been a local honk for the spurs any chance I get -- all the time -- but face it... THE LAKERS BENCH JUST GOT BETTER -- they shored up the one thing that was of issue

Blake -- a VERY serviceable point
Barnes -- a better ariza
Ratliff -- 'member crying about giving him away

all three are interchangeable role players that you prolly wouldnt mind on your team...I really wouldnt mind having all three (and actually playing theo) on the spurs

ThePop
07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I personally wish that the Spurs had played the lakers in the first round. They would have given them a run for their money.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
"Appropriate fear".

The Lakers are loaded with talent, a great coaching staff, one of the best players of all time and a couple of decent bench replacements have come on board. They are worthy of respect.

This.

Combine it with 3 consecutive Finals appearances and back-to-back championships and they should be greatly respected, as should any team with that resume.

JR3
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
they're the champs and the best team until proven otherwise.

Yes... but are you afraid?

ohmwrecker
07-27-2010, 12:36 PM

I agree. I even made a thread about it right before the playoffs which everyone totally crapped on.

Am I afraid? See the sig. V

JR3
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I have always felt like we play the lakers well. I'm never afraid of them. Last year I did fear the suns team because of the matchup problems... and they finally beat us, but now that is long gone... Its always about matchups, and we have always had a team that can matchup and be competative with the Lakers.. same this year. Hope we get the chance to see it play out on the court this year.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree that Blake is an upgrade over Farmar and if Ratloff stays healthy he's an upgrade over Josh Powell for sure. But Matt Barnes and Devin Ebanks are not quite as good as the Lakers are expecting. They certainly do have more depth this up-coming season though.

Caracter may have a bigger role than Ebanks - ala Dajuan Blair - etc. He'll get the minutes Powell should have. Ratliff is done.

But the hate on Barnes? He started for Orlando last year and was their best perimeter defender. All LA needs him to do is move without the ball on offense and play great defense. That's what he does and thats what LA expects - how can he not be "quite as good as the Lakers are expecting"?

weebo
07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Does it even matter who comes out the west? The heat have this shit wrapped up even before the season starts.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Does it even matter who comes out the west? The heat have this shit wrapped up even before the season starts.

Miami's biggest weakness is inside, no one scores in the post nor will they defend the paint well. The interior is LA's biggest strength.

Miami's biggest strength is perimeter play. LA has the best group of perimeter defenders in the game.

Miami also has a coaching question mark. LA has the best coach in NBA history making his final mark.

Miami's second biggest weakness is its bench. LA has the strongest bench that any of their championship teams have had under Phil.

Miami is going to be a chemistry experiment and questions over roles while LA is a well-oiled machine with upgrades across the board.

Yeah - I don't get why the Lakers think they have a chance.

ohmwrecker
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM

I don't think they will do it this season. It's a brand new team. I don't think they will be able to put it all together in the first year. Am I alone on this one?

The Lakers are the team to beat. It will take a healthy, disciplined, peaking, well-oiled machine to knock them off their throne.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't think they will do it this season. It's a brand new team. I don't think they will be able to put it all together in the first year. Am I alone on this one?

I agree. They likely win 2 rings or so but not this season.

TimmehC
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Why does everyone put the Lakers first? Maybe because they've won the West 3 years in a row, despite injuries?

weebo
07-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Miami's biggest weakness is inside, no one scores in the post nor will they defend the paint well. The interior is LA's biggest strength.

Miami's biggest strength is perimeter play. LA has the best group of perimeter defenders in the game.

Miami also has a coaching question mark. LA has the best coach in NBA history making his final mark.

Miami's second biggest weakness is its bench. LA has the strongest bench that any of their championship teams have had under Phil.

Miami is going to be a chemistry experiment and questions over roles while LA is a well-oiled machine with upgrades across the board.

How is what I'm saying any different than what you're saying? You have already made the assumption that no team in the west has a shot at the Lakers. I'm doing the same thing by saying no team in the NBA has a shot at the Heat.

Every year is different and with the new year the Lakers will still have questions to answer themselves. How are the new guys going to fit in with the team? Is PJ really that committed to keep coaching or is he going to be taking time off during the season? How will Kobe respond to another year of wear and tear on his body? There are still many questions to be answered for every team in the NBA. So, to think the Lakers will come out of the west is a bit presumptuous IMO.

4down
07-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Do they deserve respect? Of course. Should they be feared? Of course not. I think appropriate fear is another way of saying healthy respect. The Lakers are an assmebly of men who play basketball, just like all the other teams.

While they are great they can be beaten. That old Boston squad almost did just that. And though they didn't, the fact that they almost did it shows that it is worth it for the other temas to show up and do their damndest to go for it.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
How is what I'm saying any different than what you're saying? You have already made the assumption that no team in the west has a shot at the Lakers. I'm doing the same thing by saying no team in the NBA has a shot at the Heat.

Every year is different and with the new year the Lakers will still have questions to answer themselves. How are the new guys going to fit in with the team? Is PJ really that committed to keep coaching or is he going to be taking time off during the season? How will Kobe respond to another year of wear and tear on his body? There are still many questions to be answered for every team in the NBA. So, to think the Lakers will come out of the west is a bit presumptuous IMO.

LA has proven over the last 3 years that they are ready for anything that comes out of the West. Its not even a question.

As for Miami. Ric Flair said it best - to be the man you gotta beat the man, Miami on paper alone will have more problems with LA than LA would have with Miami.

LA's questions are trivial.

How new guys fit? Coaching and leadership has consistently taken care of that. If they can get Artest in line, Barnes and Blake are walks in the park.
Questioning Phil? C'mon now. 11 titles and 13 Finals in 20 years speak for itself.
Same goes for Kobe. Mind over matter for him come playoff time.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Behind closed door stories that I can't share publically. I'll just say that there is a reason Barnes can't get a long term deal and maybe your expectations are not as high as ariza but he certainly isn't a starter anymore.

I've heard the rumblings on Barnes as well. Agreed he's not a starter. Fortunately, LA has no plans of him every being the starter. In the 8th man role (behind LO and Blake) he's ideal.

weebo
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
LA has proven over the last 3 years that they are ready for anything that comes out of the West. Its not even a question.

As for Miami. Ric Flair said it best - to be the man you gotta beat the man, Miami on paper alone will have more problems with LA than LA would have with Miami.

How new guys fit? Coaching and leadership has consistently taken care of that. If they can get Artest in line, Barnes and Blake are walks in the park.
Questioning Phil? C'mon now. 11 titles and 13 Finals in 20 years speak for itself.

...and coach Pop has said it many times (even after winning a championship) that every year is a new year and every team is different.

Ya and Kobe's body breaking down is trivial. Keep thinking that. Ron Artest is a mental case but as far as I've known he has never been disliked as a person by his coaches or teammates. Barnes, on the other, .....well, there's a reason that over the last few years he's been on several teams.

Miami has three of arguably the top 15 best players in the NBA. And Miami's best three players are better than LA's best three.

rascal
07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Lakers front office >> Spurs front office

ohmwrecker
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Rascal's hard-on for Barnes >> Kobe's

weebo
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Damn, you're stupid.

8FOR!3
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
You can have Theo Ratliff, he's old and we didn't care about him anyways. You can have Steve Blake, he's slow and is a decent backup point guard but I don't see him having a year any better than Jordan Farmar, if he's considered an upgrade, it's a small one. Barnes is a liability, maybe would've been a decent role player on the Spurs, I would've been more than willing to take a chance on him. But there's still a lot of issues with him, he's a crazier and less talented version of Ron Artest, similar style, but not half the defender. I honestly don't see the two styles complimenting each other very well at all. Derek Fisher is gonna become more and more of a liability on the defense, he's only getting slower and Tony Parker can kill him. Biggest mismatch between the two teams is Fisher/Parker. I respect their team this year, I have less fear for the Lakers than I did taking a math test last semester.

mingus
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
you would have to give the edge to LA, but in no way am i scared. i like this teams' chances. I was scared in '01 and '02 when i knew we didn't have the team to beat LA. i know we have the team do it this year. it's not even a question to me. people who say otherwise are either stupid or full of shit.

SenorSpur
07-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Maybe it has something to do with THEY are the 2-time defending NBA Champions. Not to mention that they've been the Western Conference champions for 3 straight years!

Are you kidding? Methinks you're dissing the champs a bit too much. Hey, I hate the Fakers as much, if not more, than anyone here. However, you cannot discount or disrespect their accomplishments and the fact that, like it or not, THEY are the top dogs in the NBA. Not the Heat. Not the Thunder. And unfortunately, not the Spurs. It's great to be a fan - but let's be real.

The Fakers just beat a very tough, physical, Celtics team. A Celtics team that bulldozed its way to the 7th game of the Finals and "gassed out" before crossing the finish line. A Celtics team that is, overall, a much better defensive team than the Spurs. The Fakers are STILL a matchup nightmare for most every team in the NBA, including the Spurs. You cannot beat them with finesse-playing, stretch 4's or by trying to outscore them. To be successful, you must make them work by playing tough, physical defense, rebound and scoring the ball consistently.

With the exception of resigning Bonner (who's been a playoff choker for two straight years), the personnel moves the Spurs made were solid. However at this point, I just do not think those moves are enough to dethrone the champs.

That said, the Spurs have no reason to toss out the entire season. They will face a rather "steep", uphill climb in trying to knock off the Fakers. I hope I'm wrong. Either way, I'll be there to watch and support my team.

mingus
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
i personally don't give a shit what happned last year. what happened last year has no bearing on next year. who's the best next year is up for grabs. each team equally has to prove how good they are, even LA.

rascal
07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
The Spurs beat the Lakers by 20 twice and it wasn't because the Lakers slacked off. I was at all but one Spurs Lakers game this season, the Spurs won two of the three and the only reason they lost the third game was because Pop went small and the lakers out rebounded the power forward rotation of Bonner and Jefferson.

Yes, the 2nd game the lakers already had home court advantage wrapped up and were just coasting out the regular season and the first game they were missing players.

The Spurs had no shot of beating the lakers with the roster the Spurs had(weak frontline) last year in the playoffs.

rascal
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
you would have to give the edge to LA, but in no way am i scared. i like this teams' chances. I was scared in '01 and '02 when i knew we didn't have the team to beat LA. i know we have the team do it this year. it's not even a question to me. people who say otherwise are either stupid or full of shit.

Not if both teams are at full strenght with no injuries.

rascal
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

mingus
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Not if both teams are at full strenght with no injuries.

i disagree. everything starts anew and people have to prove once again how good they are. i don't give a shit about who won the championship last year.

DesignatedT
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I think the Lakers definitely improved with the moves they made. Blake is a good PG and will be perfect in that system. Wildcard is and always will be Bynum for them. He's certainly capable of going down for the season at any given moment. Kobe isn't getting any younger either. I definitely like their bench more with the Barnes and Ratliff additions.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
...and coach Pop has said it many times (even after winning a championship) that every year is a new year and every team is different.

Ya and Kobe's body breaking down is trivial. Keep thinking that. Ron Artest is a mental case but as far as I've known he has never been disliked as a person by his coaches or teammates. Barnes, on the other, .....well, there's a reason that over the last few years he's been on several teams.

Miami has three of arguably the top 15 best players in the NBA. And Miami's best three players are better than LA's best three.

When it comes to rings and repeating - anyone with a lick of sense has to bow to Phil over Pop. Going for 4th three-peat compared to never repeating says it all.

No question on Barnes. Hell, the team couldn't stand Farmar and still won. LA's strength of team and front office can handle a lot but no way the Lakers let Barnes ruin a ring run for him. At that cheap K - he'd be kicked off the team first. Strong leadership takes care of most issues.

Yeah - Miami has 3 of top 15. LA has no question 2 of top 10 and arguably the best big man in the game in Pau.

And when you consider who each of the top players Miami have to go against for LA (Bryant/Blake guarding Wade, Artest/Barnes guarding LeBron, Pau/Bynum/LO guarding Bosh) I'm loving LA's chances.

Miami has addressed their offense but that D is going to need a lot more than old Z, Magloire, and Haslem to slow LA down inside.

No rebounds. No rings.

alchemist
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree. They likely win 2 rings or so but not this season.
2 rings? Come on now, you know it's a wrap once Phil retires.

TD 21
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Not only am I not afraid of the Lakers, I actually want the Spurs to play them in the playoffs. I want the Spurs to be the team to dethrone them (I also believe they have a realistic chance at this; likely better than any other team in the West) and should they be unsuccessful, I at least want to look back on the season and say that they had their chance against the best.

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM
2 rings? Come on now, you know it's a wrap once Phil retires.

Talent wise-no question.

However, another team could come up. Paul and Anthony in NY. Paul in Orlando with Dwight (if he gets a post game). OKC is to be respected.

Never know how things can change. Some other team might make a Pau or Miami FA move.

Not to mention the potential for dissension over glory in the team.

So I only put 2 for sure in the bank.

picc84
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM

You wish the Spurs had lost the first round instead of mopping the Mavs and getting to the semis?

rmt
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes, I'm afraid of the Lakers. With the exception of Parker being faster, they are bigger, stronger and faster at every position. They defend well and they put the ball in the hole (efficiently - especially the front line). They've been to 3 straight finals (winning 2), been through all the wars and have more chemistry than any other team. The only other team with championship experience and chemistry is Boston. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili have that but not the rest of the team.

While we fans are busy discussing Splitter (who I think will translate eventually - maybe not this year), Neal and Anderson who are all unproven in the NBA, the Lakers are adding proven veterans to their bench. Boston looked all washed up in the regular season, but they performed magnificently in the playoffs. Rondo and Perkins have gained valuable experience and helped carry them through the regular season. The Spurs should have started the transition (using young players like Hill and Blair) earlier - specifically after the 07 championship. Now I'm afraid that it's too late.

Ginobili is the only one who I would say truly does not fear the Lakers. Remember his scuffle in the last game with Artest - he doesn't back down against anyone. Parker, (I don't know if it's because he's French) comes across as arrogant sometimes and not "in awe." Even Duncan throughout the years has seemed "afraid" of them (with the exception of game 6 in 03 when he was just so determined). Popovich, whom every other coach would be looking up at, is in the position of looking up at Phil Jackson. He should not say things like "Kobe's the best player in the game" or "Gasol is the most skilled big man in the game" even if he believes it. What message does that send to the team?

The rest of the team with the exception of Dice is so young and unproven or useless (RJ and Bonner). If the Lakers play SA in the playoffs and Jackson packs the lane with his 7 footers as he does every time they play (in effect neutralizing Duncan, Parker and Ginobili) and dares the outside shooters to beat them, I won't be putting my money on Bonner or any of these young, unproven players to beat them.

Nathan89
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM

:rolleyes:rolleyes On paper alone Miami will crush the Lakers. On the court the Heat will just beat the Lakers. I just do not know what the lakers could do against a lineup of James-Wade-Miller-Bosh-BigZ. The heat also has J.Howard,Haslem,J.Jones,Chalmers now thats is not a bad bench. The only weakness vs the lakers throughout the game is the center postion. Is bynum really going to win you a championship. When BigZ is I dont even think Bynum is a big advantage.

silverblk mystix
07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I was really hoping for a laker/spurs first round match--but everyone was scared and trying to avoid them---from Pop down to long-time spurs fans...I felt like they would have finished what OKC could not...

this year...fuck the lakers...they are going down!

2Cleva
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
:rolleyes:rolleyes On paper alone Miami will crush the Lakers. On the court the Heat will just beat the Lakers. I just do not know what the lakers could do against a lineup of James-Wade-Miller-Bosh-BigZ. The heat also has J.Howard,Haslem,J.Jones,Chalmers now thats is not a bad bench. The only weakness vs the lakers throughout the game is the center postion. Is bynum really going to win you a championship. When BigZ is I dont even think Bynum is a big advantage.

Even on paper LA wins.

Fisher > Chalmers
Kobe > Wade
Artest < LeBron (although he defends him well)
Pau > Bosh
Bynum > Haslem

Miami has Miller and a few old bigs, slow bigs off the bench while LA has Odom, Blake, Barnes, and Mitch is confident they bring Shannon Brown back as well.

So Wade is going to be seeing Kobe/Blake/Brown guarding him, while LeBron is busy with Artest/Barnes. Whats more, whereas Wade and LeBron have been able to hide on defense, there are no perimeter defensive players on that team now. Heavy lifting for the big two.

Whats more, none of Miami's Big 3 has a real post game. LA is going to pound it inside time and time again. And Miami's bigs are slow compared to LA.

Styles make fights. Miami, albeit talented, doesn't have counters for what LA does best while LA can neutralize what Miami does.

How is Miami going to win? By LeBron dominating Artest? By Wade dominating Kobe? By Bosh dominating Pau? Please.

Playoffs are half court basketball (which Miami will mostly run without having a true PG). Miami is loaded with talent but LA still has the talent edge overall among the top of the rotation. Plus better coaching and chemistry.

Nathan89
07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Even on paper LA wins.

Fisher > Chalmers
Kobe > Wade
Artest < LeBron (although he defends him well)
Pau > Bosh
Bynum > Haslem

When it really counts L. James is going to have to run the pg so the heat can have a shooter on the court with james and wade. So fisher>chalmers does not really matter. All fisher can do is shoot so him being better than chalmers doesnt really mean anything, all chalmers has to do is recover on defense. It seems to me that fisher's shot is starting to diminish with his age. If this is true then his only strength on offense is gone. Fisher this year will have a lower % shooting the wide open kickouts.

In the past Kobe was way better than wade but with age it is only a slight advantage. The advantage will be even slimmer next year. Kobe has regressed a lot in terms of quickness and he is the lakers only penetrater. So you can put kobe>wade all you want but next year it is basically kobe=wade. Wade should be able to contain kobe now that his quickness is dropping. A drop in quickness will result in less kickouts because the heat will not have to double team kobe.

Not only is james better than artest he is way better than him. It is not close to equal like kobe and wade. Artest can not guard James he is way to slow.

Pau is better than bosh but bosh is still really good. Bosh should out score pau because he can pickn'roll or pickn'pop. Bosh will get tons of wide open mid range shot and dunks.

Bynum>haslem yes but haslem has consistently put up 10pt-8rbs. BigZ should be able to contain Bynum for 20min a game.

Usually a entire team is focused on james on defense but not any more because they cant. If they try to double james on a pickn'roll then the ball will go to bosh for a dunk or to bosh and then to a slashing wade for a dunk. The lakers cant guard wade or james but he just have to deal with a diminished kobe. It doesnt matter how many positions you have better on paper but the disparity of your players talent to the other players. James>>>>Artest is what makes the heat better than the lakers on paper.

ElNono
07-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Fuck.The.Lakers

weebo
07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
When it comes to rings and repeating - anyone with a lick of sense has to bow to Phil over Pop. Going for 4th three-peat compared to never repeating says it all.

No question on Barnes. Hell, the team couldn't stand Farmar and still won. LA's strength of team and front office can handle a lot but no way the Lakers let Barnes ruin a ring run for him. At that cheap K - he'd be kicked off the team first. Strong leadership takes care of most issues.

Yeah - Miami has 3 of top 15. LA has no question 2 of top 10 and arguably the best big man in the game in Pau.

And when you consider who each of the top players Miami have to go against for LA (Bryant/Blake guarding Wade, Artest/Barnes guarding LeBron, Pau/Bynum/LO guarding Bosh) I'm loving LA's chances.

Miami has addressed their offense but that D is going to need a lot more than old Z, Magloire, and Haslem to slow LA down inside.

No rebounds. No rings.

None of LA's gaurds can match up with either Wade or James, not even Bryant. And do you honestly think that LA has 2 of the top ten big men?? Sure, I would agree with you but as we have seen, Bynum can't even stay on the floor. How does that make him top 2??

The way I see it, Miami will always have two of their big three on the floor especially the second unit. And you are kidding yourself if you think Artest and Barnes can stop James. Also, Bryant can't stop Wade one on one. That's a fact.

DJ Mbenga
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Well then I think you expectations are a bit lower than mine. I just don't think Barnes will be a big contributor unless Odom or Artest pick up injuries.

what it does it add depth you can count on. last yr the lakers were basically forced to go with an 8 man rotation and even then it was an uncomfortable one for phil jackson. realistically he only trusted 6 guys out there. the nice additions off the bench helps with minutes limiting fisher to 25 when he was averaging, kobe down to 36 instead of close to 40 and artest as well. the spurs know well their bench helped them out last yr.

quentin_compson
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, the Lakers are the two time defending champions, for one. Except for the Heat, they have the most talented S5.
Who is going to defend Kobe? Will Duncan and Splitter really be able to match up with Gasol/Bynum?
Last time I checked, the Spurs were given a pretty solid beating by the the likes of Channing Frye and Goran Dragic.
Don't get me wrong, I expect the Spurs to be better than last year because of Tony being healthy and Splitter being an upgrade (to which extent, remains to be seen), but there is still every reason to "fear" LA in a good sportsmanlike way.

Obstructed_View
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Just face it... you guys are fucked. The Splitter hype is only going to make things worse for you guys when it all fails so badly.

Three finals in a row, back to back championships, and you're still praying for the Spurs to fail. :lol

BadMotorscooter
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Just face it... you guys are fucked. The Splitter hype is only going to make things worse for you guys when it all fails so badly.

Wow, you're a class act arent ya?

Russ
07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
The Spurs ended the Lakers' three-peat in '03.

They'll stop the Lakers' (potential) three-peat in '11.

Brazil
07-27-2010, 07:42 PM

:bang fuck for once I agree with a laker fan, these are valid points

spursfan1000
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
They are back to back champs, back to back 1st seeds and have only gotten better from last year now that they have played together. Plus they added Ratliff Blake and Barnes. Blake is a upgrade over Farmar.

ezau
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM

This. I respect them, but I don't think they still have a huge edge over us anymore. They're still the best tea, but they're cumberstomping days all over the league are over.

Thing is, the Lakers are trying to reach the Finals for the fourth straight time this coming season. And all those playoff battles in the past three years are going to start to take their toll on their players around this time.

lefty
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
The L.A Lakers and the San Antonio Heat will beat the shit out of the San Antonio Spurs

21_Blessings
07-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Damn, you're stupid.

Truth hurts, eh?

mingus
07-27-2010, 11:12 PM
LOL @ Lakers' fans grasping at straws looking for reasons the Lakers are head and shoulders above the Spurs.

13 years and we're still here with a decent chance at dethroaning LA once again.

there's really been nothing that has transpired over the last couple of years to tell me the Spurs don't have a chance. in fact, we've played LA very well.

we'll shut down Staples this time.

Nathan89
07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
:bang fuck for once I agree with a laker fan, these are valid points

Chew on this.

Q- Can the Lakers stop the Heat from scoring?
A- No

Q- Can the Heat stop the Lakers from scoring?
A- More often than the Lakers can stop the Heat because they can leave Artest wide open and help defend Kobe or Gasol.

Q- Who will that roaming defender be?
A- Lebron, one of the best off the ball defenders in the league. Not a bad on the ball defender as well.

Q- Who can play help defense for the Lakers?
A- No one. If they do Mike Miller will hit a wide open three.

Leonard Curse
07-27-2010, 11:49 PM
theyre a great team, san antonio fans arent as dumb as other nba fans we know how bad ass the lakers are, and will respect their talent.

however i think people are underestimating tim duncan and manu ginobili yeah theyve been knocked out of the playoffs the past few years, but our role players that we obtained couldnt even produce role player numbers and the cast behind the big 3 have been pretty terrible. and it seems as though they played better when manu,parker were hurt which screwed us royally.

im not making an excuse, merely stating the reason for us sucking.
even during those years we were always splitting W/L during the seasons with the lakers i dont think the spurs/pop/manu/duncan ever have feared the lakers or anyone for that matter they show them respect rightfully so but not an ounce of fear and i think the additions such as jefferson need to buy into the spurs system in order to be successful here, he needs to be a spur in his mind not an ex NJ net.

i honestly believe san antonio/portland maybe thunder are the only ones capable of stopping the lakers. if you watch the playoffs it amazes me how kobe punks his opponent. ill tell you who i see become a bitch when they play the lakers Deron williams,chauncey billups turn into females sorry for the rant but no the spurs dont fear the lakers

duhoh
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
We're going to pound them in the paint just like we do every team.

i definitely don't see anyone in miami stopping gasol/bynum/odom in the low post on a nightly basis.

until the spurs, heat, or anyone else proves otherwise, the title is LA's to lose.

2Cleva
07-28-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm not afraid.

Oh, you will be. You will be.

http://ccn1.net/POTD4/yoda-pictures/yoda-closeup.jpg

2Cleva
07-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Chew on this.

Q- Can the Lakers stop the Heat from scoring?
A- No

Q- Can the Heat stop the Lakers from scoring?
A- More often than the Lakers can stop the Heat because they can leave Artest wide open and help defend Kobe or Gasol.

Q- Who will that roaming defender be?
A- Lebron, one of the best off the ball defenders in the league. Not a bad on the ball defender as well.

Q- Who can play help defense for the Lakers?
A- No one. If they do Mike Miller will hit a wide open three.

Q1 - How exactly is Miami going to score a lot? Artest is one of LeBron's toughest matchups and LA has a lot of physical perimeter defenders to throw at LeBron and Wade. LA also has 7-footers who block shots protecting the basket as well and LA's bigs are plenty mobile enough to guard outside shooting big men and rotate to protect the basket.

Teams just don't get a lot of inside shots against LA. So that means Wade and LeBron pulling up for jumpers. I like.

Q2 - LA will pound the post against Miami like every other team. Boston had the best interior defenders and even they got overwhelmed eventually. Who does Miami have defending the paint? Leaving Artest wide open has gotten teams burned in the playoffs - and he'll be better in the offense next year.

Q3 - LA has too many offensive weapons you can't roam on anyone. If the plan is to leave Artest wide-open, he'll make teams pay. Ask Phoenix or Boston about that. Not a single Laker can be disrespected like that without a team getting killed by it.

Q4 - LA has great help D. However they have great individual D as well - they rarely have to help except on drives and they recover well from that. Mike Miller? Please. It might be good for one game in a series (ala Ray Allen) but for the series Ray sucked from 3. Same goes for Kyle Korver (only 1 good 3 pt shooting game), and Channing Frye. Designated snipers get locked down vs LA.

spurs10
07-28-2010, 02:41 AM
I have to say, the gay guy Lakaluva is always hilarious, but the Spurs this year look intriguing.

xellos88330
07-28-2010, 05:58 AM
I wouldn't really call it fear, but respect. Respect must be given to all teams because on any given night they can whoop your teams ass regardless of how terrible their team is.

Lakers are the champs right now and deserve the most respect. That is all.

timtonymanu
07-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Lakers dont scare me, but I do respect them. I'm not gonna be a homer and act like the Spurs will magically beat them in a series. I do wanna face them in the playoffs though. Win or lose, I wanna see a matchup just to see how we compare to them.

Nathan89
07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Q1 - How exactly is Miami going to score a lot? Artest is one of LeBron's toughest matchups and LA has a lot of physical perimeter defenders to throw at LeBron and Wade. LA also has 7-footers who block shots protecting the basket as well and LA's bigs are plenty mobile enough to guard outside shooting big men and rotate to protect the basket.

Teams just don't get a lot of inside shots against LA. So that means Wade and LeBron pulling up for jumpers. I like.

Q2 - LA will pound the post against Miami like every other team. Boston had the best interior defenders and even they got overwhelmed eventually. Who does Miami have defending the paint? Leaving Artest wide open has gotten teams burned in the playoffs - and he'll be better in the offense next year.

Q3 - LA has too many offensive weapons you can't roam on anyone. If the plan is to leave Artest wide-open, he'll make teams pay. Ask Phoenix or Boston about that. Not a single Laker can be disrespected like that without a team getting killed by it.

Q4 - LA has great help D. However they have great individual D as well - they rarely have to help except on drives and they recover well from that. Mike Miller? Please. It might be good for one game in a series (ala Ray Allen) but for the series Ray sucked from 3. Same goes for Kyle Korver (only 1 good 3 pt shooting game), and Channing Frye. Designated snipers get locked down vs LA.

A1- Miami will score a lot because they have a team with three players that usually get double teamed. That will not happen as much and if it does well then someone else will punish you. Artest has struggles guarding ginobili but you think he can lock down james. James is stronger and faster than artest. Artest is way to slow. Did Artest and your seven footers beat the cavs last year? Oh yeah and one of the big men for the cavs is now on Heat. BIGZ

- So you think Bynum is going to beat the Heat. Bynum will not destroy big z. As for pau, i do not expect bosh to do much worst than kg. I think kg defense is way over rated. It is easy to double bigs when the three point threats are artests, barnes, and a declining fisher. Bosh will also score as much as pau to offset his contributions.

- Artest sucks at shooting. He will never make a team pay an entire series. He hit a couple of threes at the in game 7. He was shooting terribly.

-Its easy to play help d off of one star because they ussually pass it to a sorry roll player. That will not be the case for the heat.

It seems to me with all your logic you are trying to convince yourself that the Lakers are still better than the Heat. I believe deep down you know the truth.

Chew on this-

The only big the heat are lacking that the cavs had when they beat the lakers is shaq(for 20-25min).

The Nba all-defensive team could not hold this miami team to 83 points in a game 7.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
We're going to pound them in the taint just like we do every team.

OK. Now I'm afraid.

ambchang
07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm more worried about piranhas. Did you see that movie where they send a nuclear submarine to fight the piranhas, and one of them swims right down the periscope and bites the guy in the eye, and he goes, "Aah! Aah! Aah!", and that old lady told him it would happen?

Sportcamper
07-28-2010, 11:54 AM
The Spurs are used to losing to the Lakers…Why should they be afraid of them? :stirpot:

quentin_compson
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm more worried about piranhas. Did you see that movie where they send a nuclear submarine to fight the piranhas, and one of them swims right down the periscope and bites the guy in the eye, and he goes, "Aah! Aah! Aah!", and that old lady told him it would happen?

:lmao

Haven't seen that one, though. I only know the Piranha movie by Joe Dante.

Solid D
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
The Spurs are used to losing to the Lakers…Why should they be afraid of them? :stirpot:

Lol

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/kobeinside.jpg

Man In Black
07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm curious N89. How is it that you can bestow all kinds of accolades on a team that hasn't done anything yet, is yet to complete their entire roster, and despite the math that shows that they have 3 players who scored over 24 points per as #1's for their team last season, will find it hard to that together all on the same team? Wade 33, James 29 & Bosh 24. Unless they bring back Paul Westhead's Fast Break Offense, there is no way they get enough possessions to score those averages. I can see 25, 19, & 15 though and stat total increases in things like assists or rebounds but not all those guys are going to put the ball in the hoop like they did in seasons past. If they do, then they aren't going very far. Balance is key and selfishness does not lead to balance.
The Lakers seem more balanced than the Heat, and so do the Spurs. It's easy to say so because both team's core players have accomplished much in the league and on their own teams respectively.

Solid D
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I guess the Lakers are trying to jettison Sasha. Room for Delonte or just for extra salary relief.

2Cleva
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess the Lakers are trying to jettison Sasha. Room for Delonte or just for extra salary relief.

Salary relief. If LA makes that deal they can sign their 2nd round picks, bring Shannon back for 2-3 mil and still have the same payroll as last year. Combine that with a higher salary cap and therefore higher lux tax threshold and LA actually would spend less on salary this season than last season even with a deeper team.

That move and getting Walton to retire will be icing on the cake.

RobSM64
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM

http://eatthiscity.com/wp-content/upload/1250085747-milhouse.gif

carib
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
the only ppl who should be afraid of the lakers are young white female hotel workers

EAGLE, Colo. - Prosecutors said they had no choice but to drop the sexual assault charge against the NBA star because the alleged victim did not want to testify. District Judge Terry Ruckriegle threw out the case under a deal that means no charges will be refiled. (MSNBC)

KB and his family have already moved on, the NBA, the court system, and I am sure the young lady also. She got her few minutes of so called eminence.

What else can you find to say about the guy?

carib
07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
LOL @ Lakers' fans grasping at straws looking for reasons the Lakers are head and shoulders above the Spurs.

13 years and we're still here with a decent chance at dethroaning LA once again.

there's really been nothing that has transpired over the last couple of years to tell me the Spurs don't have a chance. in fact, we've played LA very well.

we'll shut down Staples this time.

You sound like a great hype guy

howbouthemspurs
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
they is a bunch of showboating crybabies... who would be afraid of that?

koriwhat
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
gotta always support and believe your team has a chance to win it all every year.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm more worried about the officials than the the Lakers themselves. It seems like the only way the NBA gets respectable ratings nowadays is if the Lakers are in the finals. I can easily see the Spurs suffering the same misfortune that the Celtics had in Game Seven.

duhoh
07-29-2010, 01:09 AM
A1- Miami will score a lot because they have a team with three players that usually get double teamed. That will not happen as much and if it does well then someone else will punish you. Artest has struggles guarding ginobili but you think he can lock down james. James is stronger and faster than artest. Artest is way to slow. Did Artest and your seven footers beat the cavs last year? Oh yeah and one of the big men for the cavs is now on Heat. BIGZ

- So you think Bynum is going to beat the Heat. Bynum will not destroy big z. As for pau, i do not expect bosh to do much worst than kg. I think kg defense is way over rated.

ginobili is agile and quick. artest really doesn't do too well against lithe, quick players. someone like kevin martin/brandon roy will torch artest. against bigger, physical players, artest's D really shines.

artest is perfect against the likes of lebron/melo and showed he could take durant out of games. artest and battier shut down lebron in 2008-2009 one of the games, and i couldn't believe how good they were defending him. artest is a great match up against lebron. will he shut him down alone? nope. but it's more favorable than than people think it is.

you had decent points until you mentioned bosh being as good as KG defensively. i don't think you understand how soft bosh is. bosh is amare's level on the defensive end. no debate on that. he should be a SG to be honest, the way he plays on both ends.

KG is losing a lot of steps, but he's still a very capable defender down low. good reason why pau never had a breakout game in the finals.

yes, miami is going to be a handful. but let the season and post-season prove that. i personally think that wade as the lead man will torch it up, seeing how he doesn't have as much pressure to carry the team on his back alone.

DazedAndConfused
07-29-2010, 01:31 AM
What exactly have the Spurs done lately to make anyone think they are on the Laker's level?

You guys are funny.

The Lakers are the champs until proven otherwise. You don't have to fear them, but you better believe they are going to be one hell of a team next season. The bench will be the best it's been in years, and the core has another year of experience together.

If by some miracle Bynum has a healthy season the Lakers will be a tough out.

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 01:39 AM
ginobili is agile and quick. artest really doesn't do too well against lithe, quick players. someone like kevin martin/brandon roy will torch artest. against bigger, physical players, artest's D really shines.

artest is perfect against the likes of lebron/melo and showed he could take durant out of games. artest and battier shut down lebron in 2008-2009 one of the games, and i couldn't believe how good they were defending him. artest is a great match up against lebron. will he shut him down alone? nope. but it's more favorable than than people think it is.

you had decent points until you mentioned bosh being as good as KG defensively. i don't think you understand how soft bosh is. bosh is amare's level on the defensive end. no debate on that. he should be a SG to be honest, the way he plays on both ends.

KG is losing a lot of steps, but he's still a very capable defender down low. good reason why pau never had a breakout game in the finals.

yes, miami is going to be a handful. but let the season and post-season prove that. i personally think that wade as the lead man will torch it up, seeing how he doesn't have as much pressure to carry the team on his back alone.

Artest was absolutely horrible against Lebron this past season..he looked extremely slow next to him, and Cleveland ran Lebron in various types of plays, and Artest was killed against all of them..

Another reason is that Artest's main strength as a defender nowadays is that the refs allow him to handcheck more than any other player in the NBA, and it's not even close, TBH..

Against Lebron, he doesn't have this luxury..refs will call any contact against King for the most part..

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 01:40 AM
What exactly have the Spurs done lately to make anyone think they are on the Laker's level?

You guys are funny.

The Lakers are the champs until proven otherwise. You don't have to fear them, but you better believe they are going to be one hell of a team next season. The bench will be the best it's been in years, and the core has another year of experience together.

For the Spurs fans that don't go downstairs, DazedAndConfused is a Laker fan that actually quit on the Lakers during the Thunder series, saying they weren't going to win the title and he was looking forward to next year instead..

Nathan89
07-29-2010, 01:40 AM

Artest is perfect for guarding melo because melo is a big and strong player that will bang in the paint with artest. Melo blow by his defender to often. Durant is a dominant shooter and not going to blow by the defender as well. James will be able to battle in the paint and blow by artest. If artest can lockdown james why did the lakers lose both games to the cavs last year? Was it because the cavs roll players are so dominating.

I did not say that bosh was going to be just as good as kg on defense. I mentioned that kg was overated on defense and he did not get destroyed. I think bosh will step up his defense now that he is on a team that is a contender. If steps up he should be able to hold his own on a guy like pau. He is going to have to muscle up though he is a little soft. Like I said he should be able to off set any contribution pau has on offense with his own offense.

Something to chew on:

Heat lineup-BigZ,Bosh,Miller,Wade,James

With that lineup the heat will have two bigs and one sf that can shoot from midrange or the three point line. Who will be protecting the paint on the lakers?:wow

Nathan89
07-29-2010, 01:44 AM
For the Spurs fans that don't go downstairs, DazedAndConfused is a Laker fan that actually quit on the Lakers during the Thunder series, saying they weren't going to win the title and he was looking forward to next year instead..

:lol I hardly ever look downstairs. Now I know what kind of fan DazedAndConfused is. I guess he underestimated the power of the official in the NBA.

DJ Mbenga
07-29-2010, 01:55 AM
i think it has less to do with handchecking as harlem wants to talk about its more about the type of attack against artest, and similarly kobe. if you isolate against these two, give up they will shut you down, but the second you set a screen its over for the defense, they cant go through them which is why teams just zone up or load up on the strong side

texaskid
07-29-2010, 02:01 AM
LBJ、wade、bosh:are you afarid us?

mingus
07-29-2010, 04:50 AM

You guys are funny.

the Lakers are champs of last year.

and the question is what have the Laker's done too prove that they are head and shoulders above the Spurs?

nothing. their championship last year and the year before dont speak to the matchup, which has been very even the last couple of years in spite of injuries. and i dont consider the Spurs to be on the Lakers level. that doesn't mean that the Spurs cant beat them. the chances arent great, but it's not farfeched at all. i wouln't be shocked if LA lost the Spurs.

Chillen
07-29-2010, 05:36 AM
If they are healthy they will probably win the Western Conference for the 4th consecutive season. They have got a better bench now and are the defending NBA champs. However I do believe they can be given a tough 7 game series and it could work in the opposing teams favor, Boston almost beat them in LA. They also might be due for the injury bug, with all the going deep into the playoffs the past 3 seasons it might take it's toll on them as a team which would effect their ultimate goal to 3peat.

Miami and Boston got better in the offseason, and in the NBA finals could give them a tough series.

2Cleva
07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Artest was absolutely horrible against Lebron this past season..he looked extremely slow next to him, and Cleveland ran Lebron in various types of plays, and Artest was killed against all of them..

Another reason is that Artest's main strength as a defender nowadays is that the refs allow him to handcheck more than any other player in the NBA, and it's not even close, TBH..

Against Lebron, he doesn't have this luxury..refs will call any contact against King for the most part..

Artest wasn't healthy when LA played LeBron this season. His D those games against LeBron was bad but he healed up after the last game and his D was much better.

I'm not worried about LeBron getting the whistle because all of LA's perimeter players play physical on D. The refs won't call them all. Someone may get ticky-tack calls but the rest will be able to do their thing.

SouthTexasRancher
07-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Never afraid of anything. As long as both teams are healthy this year it will be a good barn burning series coming down to Kobe or Manu making the last bucket.

Both teams will beat the miami cold as will the Celtics which means QUEEN lebron will once again walk away with his head dragging on the floor like the spoiled asshole she is. :ihit