PDA

View Full Version : Argentina' Next Coach

urunobili
07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5413568/maradona-asked-replace-staff-future-argentina-coach-doubt

With Maradona likely gone I'll be rooting for Argentina again.

That said, I think Miguel Angel Russo embodies the true spirit of the Argentine Football and he is my preferred candidate from the ones available.

Bianchi is truly great but I doubt that Grondona after offering him the job twice already will go after him again..

Thoughts?

diego
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
as long as grondona is in charge we're pretty much screwed- no good coach will sign with him around. Bilardo is another that needs to go. I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with batista (not good enough). Russo is not a bad candidate, the others I wouldnt mind trying are gallego, maybe gareca. i've heard some people tout ramon diaz, cappa, borghi, but i dont like them much as options.

so, who wants to bet the new coach will try to bring riquelme back? :downspin:

sonic21
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Sabella maybe?

Libri
07-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Ramon Diaz didn't do a very good job with Club America. :td

MaNuMaNiAc
07-27-2010, 04:52 PM
as long as grondona is in charge we're pretty much screwed- no good coach will sign with him around. Bilardo is another that needs to go. I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with batista (not good enough). Russo is not a bad candidate, the others I wouldnt mind trying are gallego, maybe gareca. i've heard some people tout ramon diaz, cappa, borghi, but i dont like them much as options.

so, who wants to bet the new coach will try to bring riquelme back? :downspin:

Yeah, Grondona has to go. That fucker runs AFA like its his own private fantasy league...

Why is it that Boca fans think Riquelme is the answer to every fucking thing. We need to move on, Riquelme's time is over, done with. We need to rebuild and find new blood to lead this team. I think Messi could be great at that job given a coach that knows how to use his skills. Right now, I don't see a realistic candidate that is good enough though. Russo is alright I suppose, but I agree with you Diego, no good coach is taking over while that scumbag Grondona is at the helm.

it's me
07-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Sabella..... dude is a real coach.... and made his team win the Libertadores and the local liga after a bunch of years.

diego
07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
so manumaniac, you'll take my bet that the next coach will try to bring riquelme back- state your terms! (i said nothing of results or whether riquelme will agree, just that the new coach will call him and see if he is willing)

sabella, meh, i'm a little biased because i dislike estudiantes but I would definitely take russo or gallego over him, though we could certainly do worse.

lefty
07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Cesar Menotti :elephant

DAF86
07-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Sabella maybe?

According to the press he's Grondona's favourite for the position. I'm kinda meh towards him. I really don't have a favourite, maybe Ramon Diaz or get Bielsa back, but none of them convince me 100% either.

Van Gaal and Hiddink said that they would like to coach Argentina but I doubt Grondona will go with a foreign coach.

Bukefal
07-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Louis van Gaal has said he likes to be coach of Argentina sometime. But I dont believe Argentina wants/will have a non-argentinian as coach.

urunobili
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I think a foreign coach that makes the training in Europe (hiddink or Van gaal) is the perfect case scenario for Argentina. Also Rikjard (sorry for the spelling former Barca coach) would rock :)

MaNuMaNiAc
07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Maybe we should start looking into hiring a foreign coach. The ones that we have right now are crap anyways. There is hardly a real choice nowadays.

nkdlunch
07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
javier aguirre lol

MB20
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Sabella doesn´t have the experience.
Yes. He took Estudiantes to win the Libertadores, but all that rebuilding started with Bilardo and Simeone. Estudiantes was built before Sabella. He also won the lottery when Veron decided to come back.

Batista has not done very well with the juniors. He didn´t qualify to the Junior WC with the U-17 or U-20 teams.

Bianchi will not coach while Grondona is in charge. Unfortunately, Grondona will be the president of AFA until the day he dies. He will not quit, and nobody will fire him. He is The Godfather.

I´d give a chance to Gallego or Ramon Diaz.
But AFA is trying to get a coach with a softer personality after having Maradona. So I think Ramon is out of the question.

But Ramon Diaz´s River Plate back in 1996 played the best style of football I watched in the last 20 years. ( Francescoli helped a lot, tbh)

diego
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
yeah, diaz never really had any more success after that so you have to think it was more about how stacked that team was... I like gallego more.

:lol at hiddink and van gaal. van gaal especially, in 02 he couldnt even finish top 2 in a group with portugal, ireland, estonia, cyprus and andorra. If you are going to look at foreigners (which I wouldnt), at least look for hardworkers and not media whores like eriksson, capello, van gaal, hiddink et all.

DAF86
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
yeah, diaz never really had any more success after that so you have to think it was more about how stacked that team was... I like gallego more.

What? After that River "dream team" vanished he put togheter a whole new team from scratch (promoting Saviola and Aimar) and won the Argie league back to back, then he went to San Lorenzo and won it all with pretty much the same roster that had an awful performance in the previous tournament.

lefty
07-28-2010, 11:41 AM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5413568/maradona-asked-replace-staff-future-argentina-coach-doubt

With Maradona likely gone I'll be rooting for Argentina again.

That said, I think Miguel Angel Russo embodies the true spirit of the Argentine Football and he is my preferred candidate from the ones available.

Bianchi is truly great but I doubt that Grondona after offering him the job twice already will go after him again..

Thoughts?
I thought you were from URU

Plus, there is the Argy-Uru rivalry, River Plate and all that crap

diego
07-28-2010, 01:07 PM
What? After that River "dream team" vanished he put togheter a whole new team from scratch (promoting Saviola and Aimar) and won the Argie league back to back, then he went to San Lorenzo and won it all with pretty much the same roster that had an awful performance in the previous tournament.

aside from the anamoly of the last 3 or so years, river doesnt put together new teams from scratch, they always have something. the 99 team was stacked, especially in comparison to most other argentine teams. san lorenzo won their first half season with him, the second half season were they even top 5?

he was also at the helm for some big time flops, especially in tournaments (precisely what NT play), and has a habit of making excuses and walking out the back door. speaking of which, how many of the last 10 years has he been employed? half?

DAF86
07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
aside from the anamoly of the last 3 or so years, river doesnt put together new teams from scratch, they always have something. the 99 team was stacked, especially in comparison to most other argentine teams.

River's "dream team":

Burgos

Diaz Ayala Berizzo Sorín

Monserrat Astrada Berti

Ortega

Salas Francescoli

River's 99 team:

Bonano

Lombardi Trotta Yepes Placente

Coudet Astrada Gancedo

Aimar

Saviola Angel

Only player that played in both teams is Astrada, I would say that's creating a team from scratch. Ramon Diaz players' selection is IMO his biggest attribute as a coach and that's pretty important for a NT coach.

san lorenzo won their first half season with him, the second half season were they even top 5?

That's 'cause they priorized the Libertadores cup.

he was also at the helm for some big time flops, especially in tournaments (precisely what NT play)

He won the Libertadores cup and Supercopa, how many of the other candidates had that kind of success? Bianchi and then...?

and has a habit of making excuses and walking out the back door. speaking of which, how many of the last 10 years has he been employed? half?

Give me one example, I think you're talking about Bianchi on this one.

And who cares how many years he has been employed in the last 10 years when he has more tournaments won that years as a coach.

urunobili
07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I thought you were from URU

Plus, there is the Argy-Uru rivalry, River Plate and all that crap

CROFL

When they play Uruguay I'll become the hater you saw during the WC...

In my country you choose to support Brazil or Argentina when we're not playing... Uruguayans tend to like Brazil but I root for Argentina... they're obnoxious but truthful to themselves... Brazilians by the other hand are backstabbers (there are always exceptions).. they make you think every thing is alright and then boom... you're fucked....

So yeah with Maradona gone I want them to do good :)

urunobili
07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
BTW Maradona will have a presser (promising to be very controversial) at 5pm EST

lefty
07-28-2010, 02:30 PM
CROFL

When they play Uruguay I'll become the hater you saw during the WC...

In my country you choose to support Brazil or Argentina when we're not playing... Uruguayans tend to like Brazil but I root for Argentina... they're obnoxious but truthful to themselves... Brazilians by the other hand are backstabbers (there are always exceptions).. they make you think every thing is alright and then boom... you're fucked....

So yeah with Maradona gone I want them to do good :)
wow :wow

Pretty lame IMHO
:lol

Libri
07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
BTW Maradona will have a presser (promising to be very controversial) at 5pm EST

This is going to be good. :lol

Libri
07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Former Argentina Coach Diego Maradona Accuses Carlos Bilardo Of Betraying Him

Maradona blasted Julio Grondona and Bilardo for forcing him out of the Argentina job...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/585/argentina/2010/07/28/2046173/former-argentina-coach-diego-maradona-accuses-carlos-bilardo

diego
07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I was hoping for diego to bring out all the dirty laundry and make a shithole so big grondona would drown in it (while maradona, being bigger than him, just kept his nose out of the shit) and he started to but fell short of it. aside from death, it was the only hope of forcing grondona out. now we'll just have to wait for a heart attack, or maybe grondona will say something to defend himself and provoke diego to go all out, but I dont think its going to happen... if maradona did do that, it would be worth at least two world cups IMO :lol

oh and manumaniac, batista already threw riquelme's name out :toast but in any case i meant the bet for the "real" coach who will take over for batista hopefully before the copa.

ElNono
07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, Bianchi should get his chance now, but it's not going to happen with Grondona at the helm. So we're probably going to end up with some weak sheep just happy to have a chance to coach the NT. Sabella, Russo, Batista... they're all the same thing.

Might aswell hand it to Bilardo so we can see Messi and Tevez crossing the midfield twice per game.

urunobili
07-29-2010, 07:36 AM
CROFL Bilardo: "You can't ONLY work with your friends" and " Maradona was under MY scope on a champhionship and a vice-championship team... MINE"

http://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/trabajo-podes-poner-amigos_0_307169391.html

MB20
07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
LOL Bilardo.
He owes 80% of his success to Diego (I´ll give him 20% because he, in the end, has passion for the game/coaching).

diego
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
this might be the push Diego needed to lay it all out, if the press follows suit (they will) it might be enough to force grondona out.. :hungry::corn:

lefty
07-29-2010, 02:57 PM
LOL Bilardo.
He owes 80% of his success to Diego (I´ll give him 20% because he, in the end, has passion for the game/coaching).
95%

Fuck, even Saadane or Domenech would have won the WC with Maradonna in 86

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
this might be the push Diego needed to lay it all out, if the press follows suit (they will) it might be enough to force grondona out.. :hungry::corn:

yeah, keep dreaming