PDA

View Full Version : NBA's take on tampering

etbluffer
07-27-2010, 09:14 PM
So the NBA finally starts caring about tampering when it comes to pg Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets; going as far as to releasing a statement.

However, when the Knicks (mainly Amare Stoudemire) spoke about Parker going to joining him in NY, the NBA blindly looked the other way.
I find this disrespectful to the Spurs organization.

ElNono
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Was Amar'e already signed to a contract when he said that? I'm not sure he was.

etbluffer
07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes, he was.

spursfan1000
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
NBA should look into this.

DesignatedT
07-27-2010, 09:49 PM
I remember seeing somewhere that the NBA doesn't usually look into this very hard unless the team complains or asks them to. Obviously the Spurs thought there was no harm done and New Orleans is probably asking the league to make sure this isn't happening.

ElNono
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Yes, he was.

Bito Corleone
07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
In most scenarios the NBA wont look into tampering charges unless they can prove that someone under contract with an organization (whether it be a player or someone in the FO) becomes involved in trying to coax a player to leave one team and come to another team outside of the periods of free agency or if the other player is currently under contract.

In the instances with rumors about Tony wanting to go to New York, most of those started with tabloids. There could have been some truth uncovered later on by a trade that fell through, but tabloid rumors about a player wanting to go somewhere don't exactly fit the bill for "tampering."

Now, when Chris Paul stands up at Melo's wedding and says (on a microphone) that He, Melo, and Amar'e are all going to be playing together in NY a couple years from now that can be considered tampering, or at the very least collusion.

Roddy Beaubois
07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Its because Cubes is involved

greyforest
07-28-2010, 12:49 AM
NBA should look into this.

the NBA looks in to EXACTLY what it needs to, buddy. go watch some dunks and shut the fuck up, okay?

Obstructed_View
07-28-2010, 01:13 AM
You guys don't think George Shinn left a hysterical voice mail on David Stern's phone to prompt this memo? He's trying to sell his stake in a sinking ship, and the only asset they have is Chris Paul.

Guajalote
07-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Just as long as no one named Wade, James, or Bosh are involved, the NBA will certainly look into it.

FromWayDowntown
07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Was Amar'e already signed to a contract when he said that? I'm not sure he was.

My recollection is the same as yours.

Amare was officially acquired by the Knicks on July 9, 2010 via a sign-and-trade with Phoenix. (http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/sign-trade_stoudemire.html)

There were reports that he had agreed to sign with the Knicks as early as July 5, 2010. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-stoudemireknicks070510)

His bluster about Parker (and Carmelo) coming to New York was reported on July 4, 2010 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/07/03/2010-07-03_amare_rocks_on_bway.html; http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5353451), but I haven't found any subsequent stories suggesting Stoudemire talking directly about recruiting Parker.

It might all be semantics, but given that timeline, Amare was a free agent at the time he spoke of recruiting Tony Parker to New York and had not yet agreed to a deal with the Knicks. I don't think he's said anything publicly about it since then. Thus, I'm not sure that any team could be shown to have tampered with Parker under that scenario, given the definition of tampering.

I agree that the league's concern for tampering seems to be entirely determined on a case-by-case basis, but I'm not sure that this situation is a slap in the face to the Spurs -- both because I don't know that any team has tampered with Parker and because I doubt that the Spurs have complained about it (likely because there isn't any black-letter tampering).

SenorSpur
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, David Stern and his "look the other way" execs in the NBA office would issue this statement after the conclusion of LeBronapalooza.

ElNono
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
It might all be semantics, but given that timeline, Amare was a free agent at the time he spoke of recruiting Tony Parker to New York and had not yet agreed to a deal with the Knicks. I don't think he's said anything publicly about it since then. Thus, I'm not sure that any team could be shown to have tampered with Parker under that scenario, given the definition of tampering.

Thanks for looking it up. That's exactly why I asked the question: If Amar'e was still a free agent back when he said what he said, then the Knicks have nothing to do with it.

mavsfan1000
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Stern only takes tampering seriously when it involves the Mavs. Superstars tamper and former a super team and Stern looks the other way.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Stern only takes tampering seriously when it involves the Mavs. Superstars tamper and former a super team and Stern looks the other way.

That's because he hates Mark Cuban. And, really, who can blame him?

mavsfan1000
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
That's because he hates Mark Cuban. And, really, who can blame him?
Yawn. The Cuban hate continues.

Obstructed_View
07-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Wow Wade still makes you cry after all these years. That's funny.

mavsfan1000
07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow Wade still makes you cry after all these years. That's funny.
You mean the refs. Yes they screwed us many times.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Yawn. The Cuban hate continues.

Right. He doesn't do anything to bring it on himself . . .

Oh, Gee!!
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Wade, Bosh, and James were all free agents when they supposedly had their power lunch to determine the "future" of the NBA, so you can't consider that tampering.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Wade, Bosh, and James were all free agents when they supposedly had their power lunch to determine the "future" of the NBA, so you can't consider that tampering.

And, that was the only time they discussed it, of course.

Obstructed_View
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
You mean the refs. Yes they screwed us many times.

Yes, every time the Mavs lose it seems to be someone else's fault. Funny how that seems to happen.

rjv
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
the NBA looks in to EXACTLY what it needs to, buddy. go watch some dunks and shut the fuck up, okay?

i didn't know david stern posts on this forum.

Oh, Gee!!
07-28-2010, 03:39 PM
And, that was the only time they discussed it, of course.

it's not what you know, it's what you can prove

mavsfan1000
07-28-2010, 07:45 PM
i didn't know david stern posts on this forum.
:lol