PDA

View Full Version : Bell city salary scandal makes more Americans distrust local governments

ducks
07-27-2010, 11:46 PM
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-07/28/c_13417942.htm

bell, a small city in Southern California, made national news last week when residents angrily protested after learning through news reports of the exorbitant pay of its city manager, 787,637 dollars annually, and the chief of police, 457,000 dollars

ducks
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
3 Bell leaders to quit in pay scandal

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/23/local/la-me-bell-council-20100723

ducks
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/attorney-general-issues-subpoenas-in-bell-salary-scandal.html
Attorney general issues subpoenas in Bell salary scandal

RandomGuy
07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-07/28/c_13417942.htm

bell, a small city in Southern California, made national news last week when residents angrily protested after learning through news reports of the exorbitant pay of its city manager, 787,637 dollars annually, and the chief of police, 457,000 dollars

I didn't know you were a fan of Chinese government propaganda... :lol

(not disputing anything in the article, just thought it funny how the story would be read through the viewpoint of your average chinese)

CubanMustGo
07-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote from the LA Times story breaking the case.
Council members hired Rizzo in 1993 from the High Desert city of Hesperia as interim chief administrative officer with a starting salary of $72,000 a year. By September 2004, he was being paid $300,000 a year. Ten months later, his salary jumped 47% to $442,000.

His salary continued climbing $52,000 a year until July 1, 2008, when Rizzo received his usual salary increase and signed an addendum to his contract that gave him a 5% raise in September and guaranteed 12% increases each July.

His last raise was $84,389.76. Next July, he will receive a $94,516 pay hike.

Rizzo defended his salary and that of his staff and the council by saying they don't receive car or cellphone allowances and must pay their own way to out-of-town conferences. :lmao
Yeah, I know I'd run up an $80K/year cell phone bill pretty easily. And first-class travel to conferences does add up after a while.

Just amazing that people can be this out of touch. Good riddance.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I think we're going to start seeing more and more outrage over things like this. Politicians are so out of touch with the people they claim to represent - and the people are rising up in protest. Average citizens are losing their homes and jobs and very few people have confidence that things are going to get better any time soon.

Yet we have politicians who think it's okay to pay themselves exhorbitant salaries, take taxpayer-funded trips all over the place (like the Obamas) and then tell us we need to make sacrificies for the greater good. It's a bunch of b.s. - and the people are finally waking up - kinda like the French peasants right before the revolution!

George Gervin's Afro
07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I think we're going to start seeing more and more outrage over things like this. Politicians are so out of touch with the people they claim to represent - and the people are rising up in protest. Average citizens are losing their homes and jobs and very few people have confidence that things are going to get better any time soon.

Yet we have politicians who think it's okay to pay themselves exhorbitant salaries, take taxpayer-funded trips all over the place (like the Obamas) and then tell us we need to make sacrificies for the greater good. It's a bunch of b.s. - and the people are finally waking up - kinda like the French peasants right before the revolution!

so are you saying the president shouldn't travel?

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
This has been a topic of Lars Larson for a few days now.

Old news, typical California.

The population is something like 90.9% Hispanic or Latino, and that increases to 98% for high school attendance. The people making this money are all white, only one city council member is Hispanic.

I wonder if the whites are all California liberals, taking advantage of the situation?

LA Times: Bell council seeks resignations of 3 city officials (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-721-bell-20100721,0,3475382.story)

Philli Burbs: DA probes voter fraud allegations in Calif. city (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/116/2010/july/27/la-suburb-to-discuss-firing-high-paid-officials.html)

wiki: Demographics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell,_California#Demographics)

CubanMustGo
07-28-2010, 09:08 AM
This has been a topic of Lars Larson for a few days now.

Old news, typical California.

The population is something like 90.9% Hispanic or Latino, and that increases to 98% for high school attendance. The people making this money are all white, only one city council member is Hispanic.

I wonder if the whites are all California liberals, taking advantage of the situation?

For God's sake, WC, for once can you take off the fucking 'all liberals bad' glasses. Politicians of all stripes pull this crap.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 09:12 AM
For God's sake, WC, for once can you take off the fucking 'all liberals bad' glasses. Politicians of all stripes pull this crap.
Very true.

Look. I said "I wonder if." Isn't that good enough and an indication I know they could be of any political stripe?

Get over your superiority complex and start reading what people actually write, instead of being so prejudicial.

Asshole.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Not all these taxpayer-funded vacations! Michelle's "mother-daughter" trip to Spain is a perfect example. Oh - she's throwing in a little side trip to King Carlos and Queen Sophia to make it an "official" trip. Give me a break!! This is nothing more than another vacation. The Obama's made 5.5 million last year - they can pay for their own damn vacations!

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Not all these taxpayer-funded vacations! Michelle's "mother-daughter" trip to Spain is a perfect example. Oh - she's throwing in a little side trip to King Carlos and Queen Sophia to make it an "official" trip. Give me a break!! This is nothing more than another vacation. The Obama's made 5.5 million last year - they can pay for their own damn vacations!Did you get angry at the Bushes when they took vacations and post about them, complaining that they had their own money and should use it on their vacations?

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Sorry - double post

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Did you get angry at the Bushes when they took vacations and post about them, complaining that they had their own money and should use it on their vacations?

Tell me Chump - how many taxpayer-funded trips did Laura Bush and her daughters take? How many times did President and Mrs. Bush fly off to NYC for a "date night"? Most of the time when the Bushes left D.C., they went to Camp David or their home in Maine or ranch in Crawford - not reserving 30 rooms at over $2,000 a night PER room in 5-star hotels!

boutons_deux
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
"Not all these taxpayer-funded vacations"

holy fuck! dubya and St Ronnie tooks 100s of vacations, where were you then? Join Big Zak in the "Religion Fried My Brain" recovery group.

Blake
07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Tell me Chump - how many taxpayer-funded trips did Laura Bush and her daughters take? How many times did President and Mrs. Bush fly off to NYC for a "date night"? Most of the time when the Bushes left D.C., they went to Camp David or their home in Maine or ranch in Crawford - not reserving 30 rooms at over $2,000 a night PER room in 5-star hotels!

George W. Bush is today making his final visit to Camp David as president.

He will likely miss the place: According to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, today's trip marks Mr. Bush's 149th visit to the presidential retreat. The planned three-day stay, during which the president is being joined by family and former and current aides, will bring his total time spent at Camp David to all or part of 487 days.

Yes, that's 487 days. And Camp David is not even where the president has spent the most time when not at the White House: Knoller reports that Mr. Bush has made 77 visits to his ranch in Crawford during his presidency, and spent all or part of 490 days there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4728085-503544.html

guess how much it cost the taxpayer each of the 77 times Bush went to Crawford

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Tell me Chump - how many taxpayer-funded trips did Laura Bush and her daughters take?You mean you don't know?

You only know what the Obamas did because you want to be outraged about them.

You're claiming to be too ignorant to be a hypocrite. I applaud your honesty.

Here's the first one:

http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/history/faculty/TROYWEB/LauraBushpreparesforfirstsolotripabroad.htm

If you want to know about the others, you can look them up yourself -- unless you are as stupid as you make yourself out to be.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Tell me Chump - how many taxpayer-funded trips did Laura Bush and her daughters take?
First lady Laura Bush has visited 68 countries during her husband's presidency

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCallPlus/story?id=3758969&page=1

Crookshanks, you are an idiot.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
"Not all these taxpayer-funded vacations"

holy fuck! dubya and St Ronnie tooks 100s of vacations, where were you then? Join Big Zak in the "Religion Fried My Brain" recovery group.
Hundreds is an exaggeration, and he usually went home.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 09:52 AM

These were not vacations.

clambake
07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
wc just showing concern for the beaner taxpayers. he knows you don't have to be a politician to steal money........right wc?

clambake
07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
how much did it cost for those bush sluts to travel around the world?

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Well Blake - Bush was in office for 8 years. That's about 416 weekends - multiply by 2 days for each weekend and it gives you 832 days. Now let's add in 2 weeks of official vacation time for 8 years - that's 16 weeks. Since I already counted weekend days, we'll only multiply 16 X 5 week days - that's another 80 days. 832 + 80 = 912 days. Bush spent "all or part" of 977 days either at Camp David or his ranch in Crawford. Soooo - taking out weekends and his "official" vacation time, Bush spent an additional 65 days (or a little over 8 days a year) at Camp David or in Crawford. WOW - what a slacker! And when you figure in that the ranch in Crawford was called "Whitehouse West" because it was equipped with everything the President needed to work from there, and that many of his key staff members accompanied him to Crawford, it's kinda hard to equate that with eating ice cream with your girls while strolling along the sidewalk in various cities!

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 09:57 AM
These were not vacations.Wild Cobra, you are also an idiot.

clambake
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM
the president can work from anywhere, dumbass.

Wild Cobra
You have to remember. I am not against the first family having vacations. I have stated as long as they pay what it would have normally cost, then the government needs to pay for the security.

What I am against, if libtards like you and Chump, lying about the circumstances.

one more thing. How about taking this to the thread already addressing this topic, rather than spoiling this one.

Blake
Hundreds is an exaggeration, and he usually went home.

According to the Associated Press, "Reagan spent all or part of 335 days in Santa Barbara over his eight-year presidency."

http://hnn.us/articles/202.html

clambake
07-28-2010, 10:00 AM
You have to remember. I am not against the first family having vacations. I have stated as long as they pay what it would have normally cost, then the government needs to pay for the security.

What I am against, if libtards like you and Chump, lying about the circumstances.

one more thing. How about taking this to the thread already addressing this topic, rather than spoiling this one.

your prejudice already spoiled it.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 10:01 AM

The trip referenced in that article was not a vacation, it was to raise awareness of Breast Cancer in the Middle East. Tell me - just what is Michelle raising awareness of with her trip to Spain (especially since everything is closed to the Press), other than the fact she's livin large on the the taxpayer dime!

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Exactly! My point was that far too many politicians (on both sides) are totally out of touch with the people they claim to represent. They think they're entitled to all these outrageous salaries and perks, while at the same time telling us to make sacrifices.

boutons_deux
Thee Bell guys were obviously outliers.

But what they did was apparently completely legal, so they get cut off and pushed out, but no crime, and still get 10s of $Ms in pensions.

Blake
Well Blake - Bush was in office for 8 years. That's about 416 weekends - multiply by 2 days for each weekend and it gives you 832 days. Now let's add in 2 weeks of official vacation time for 8 years - that's 16 weeks. Since I already counted weekend days, we'll only multiply 16 X 5 week days - that's another 80 days. 832 + 80 = 912 days. Bush spent "all or part" of 977 days either at Camp David or his ranch in Crawford. Soooo - taking out weekends and his "official" vacation time, Bush spent an additional 65 days (or a little over 8 days a year) at Camp David or in Crawford. WOW - what a slacker! And when you figure in that the ranch in Crawford was called "Whitehouse West" because it was equipped with everything the President needed to work from there, and that many of his key staff members accompanied him to Crawford, it's kinda hard to equate that with eating ice cream with your girls while strolling along the sidewalk in various cities!

why are taxpayers paying flight and security money for Bush to go do presidential work at his ranch in Crawford?

clambake
07-28-2010, 10:07 AM
why are taxpayers paying flight and security money for Bush to go do presidential work at his ranch in Crawford?

cuz this dumb cunt says it's ok.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
You have to remember. I am not against the first family having vacations. I have stated as long as they pay what it would have normally cost, then the government needs to pay for the security.I wasn't against it for Bush and I'm not against it for Obama.

What I am against, if libtards like you and Chump, lying about the circumstances.They were trips at taxpayer expense -- which is what this is all about. You are being an idiot insisting none of them could have possibly been a vacation.

one more thing. How about taking this to the thread already addressing this topic, rather than spoiling this one.You want a badge, forum cop?

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote from the LA Times story breaking the case.
Council members hired Rizzo in 1993 from the High Desert city of Hesperia as interim chief administrative officer with a starting salary of $72,000 a year. By September 2004, he was being paid $300,000 a year. Ten months later, his salary jumped 47% to $442,000.

His salary continued climbing $52,000 a year until July 1, 2008, when Rizzo received his usual salary increase and signed an addendum to his contract that gave him a 5% raise in September and guaranteed 12% increases each July.

His last raise was $84,389.76. Next July, he will receive a $94,516 pay hike.

Rizzo defended his salary and that of his staff and the council by saying they don't receive car or cellphone allowances and must pay their own way to out-of-town conferences. :lmao
Yeah, I know I'd run up an $80K/year cell phone bill pretty easily. And first-class travel to conferences does add up after a while.

Just amazing that people can be this out of touch. Good riddance.
One interesting thing to consider. Maybe they got paid what they were worth? they don't have the problems of other cities, and in fact, contract their services to other cities. They must be doing something right.

Blake
07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
One interesting thing to consider. Maybe they got paid what they were worth? they don't have the problems of other cities, and in fact, contract their services to other cities. They must be doing something right.

what are city managers and police chiefs worth?

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
The trip referenced in that article was not a vacation, it was to raise awareness of Breast Cancer in the Middle East. Tell me - just what is Michelle raising awareness of with her trip to Spain (especially since everything is closed to the Press), other than the fact she's livin large on the the taxpayer dime!The official visit has already been mentioned, idiot.

Was "everything" "open to the press" with the Bushes?

No.

Of course not.

Only an idiot would think that.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
what are city managers and police chiefs worth?
What ever the supply and demand wages will pay them.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
The official visit has already been mentioned, idiot.

Was "everything" "open to the press" with the Bushes?

No.

Of course not.

Only an idiot would think that.

You know Chump, you and I will never agree on anything (except that 9/11 was not an inside job), so let's just call it a day. The country is going to hell, but there are some people who will never see it. Liberalism flows way too deep and strong in your veins for us to ever have a decent conversation. So - you go your way, and I'll go mine - and time will tell who was right. There is no point in arguing with someone who will NEVER see things from your point of view - I'm a staunch conservative, and you're a flaming liberal - and we both think the other is an idiot!

Blake
07-28-2010, 10:55 AM

current supply and demand for a city manager even on the high end does not dictate a $780+k annual salary.

That's why people are pissed and these people are under scrutiny.

Try to keep up or just shut the fuck up.

Blake
07-28-2010, 10:56 AM

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
You know Chump, you and I will never agree on anything (except that 9/11 was not an inside job), so let's just call it a day. The country is going to hell, but there are some people who will never see it. Liberalism flows way too deep and strong in your veins for us to ever have a decent conversation. So - you go your way, and I'll go mine - and time will tell who was right. There is no point in arguing with someone who will NEVER see things from your point of view - I'm a staunch conservative, and you're a flaming liberal - and we both think the other is an idiot!But you have proved yourself to be an idiot.

lol staunch

clambake
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
only a stupid cunt would think he's a flaming liberal.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
But you have proved yourself to be an idiot.

Only according to the idiot liberals in this forum. See, I can play that game too. :lol

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 11:03 AM
This is the original idiot's question:
Tell me Chump - how many taxpayer-funded trips did Laura Bush and her daughters take?Is the word "vacation" in there at all?

No.

Idiots.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Clam - I'm sick of you too. You have nothing intelligent to say, so you resort to obscenities. However, I guess I shouldn't expect anything better from you - you're just going by the liberal play book.

You're a pathetic human being who deserves nothing but pity.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
And why is Kuwaiti breast cancer an issue for American taxpayers to pay for awareness in the form of a visit by the First Lady and all the costs that entails?

Is that a wise use of your tax money, Crookshanks?

Yes or no.

Blake
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Clam - I'm sick of you too. You have nothing intelligent to say, so you resort to obscenities. However, I guess I shouldn't expect anything better from you - you're just going by the liberal play book.

so after you say what you think is intelligent, you resort to cut downs.

but I don't think anyone is really expecting much different from you...

clambake
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM

and you're a phony.

you think it's all ok if you name something "white house west".

conservative........you are not. you're just another big haired, fat ass knuckledragger cunt from texas.

DarrinS
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
LOL. I remember how outraged libs were about Bush's vacations and playing golf. I think Obama is on page to out-do Bush, but I don't want to be like the libtards and express any phony outrage.

The Gemini Method
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I had an opportunity to work for the City of Bell while in college. I think I might regret turning them down after all of these shenanigans. It's pretty interesting that the city manager of Bell makes nearly as much as 3 times the city manager of Long Beach.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
LOL. I remember how outraged libs were about Bush's vacations and playing golf.I was only bothered that Bush lied about quitting golf.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I had an opportunity to work for the City of Bell while in college. I think I might regret turning them down after all of this shenanigans. It's pretty interesting that the city manager of Bell makes nearly as much as 3 times the city manager of Long Beach.Wild Cobra says there is more demand for city managers in Bell.

DarrinS
07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Has clam now exceeded boutons record for most uses of "cunt" in a single thread?

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Wild Cobra says there is more demand for city managers in Bell.
I'm only raising possibilities.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm only raising possibilities.OK, explain how that possibility works.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
OK, explain how that possibility works.
Like so many other tings, you hound and hound. Like the 5 year old playing the "Why" game.

Bye now.

Crookshanks
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Clam is beyond pathetic. He's had nothing intelligent or informative to add to this thread; instead he's resorted to calling another poster an obscene name. He doesn't know me and he doesn't know what I look like or where I came from, but he's a big, brave man because he can use profanity on a message board. Ooooohh - I'll call her a nasty name, that'll teach her! His mother must be so proud of her little boy.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Like so many other tings, you hound and hound. Like the 5 year old playing the "Why" game.

Bye now.If you can't explain your little supply and demand theory, just say so.

Don't get pissy.

RandomGuy
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM

You are assuming that someone with the ability to write his own paycheck is going to pay himself the going wage for his job.

That is what, in essence many CEOs of companies essentially do. Shareholders tend to be fairly ignorant of how much CEOs and executives are actually paid, and that ignorance allows for distortions.

"free markets" only really work if information is readily accessible, and the assumptions that make free markets efficient break down when the free flow of information is impeded. Finance 101.

I highly doubt that, in this case, the city manager was worth that much money in a free "open market" of labor.

Oddly enough that data is incredibly easy to find:
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=City_Manager/Salary

Compensation tends to run between 60,000-120,000 on a national average.

boutons_deux
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
The Bell guys did say they deserved every penny of it because the were so good at saving the city, and saving money.

There was a secret, flaky election with only a few 100 votes cast to move Bell out from under the CA regs that limit these types of salaries.

These guys have worked in CA govt their entire careers and certainly learned out to scam the taxpayers.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
The Bell guys did say they deserved every penny of it because the were so good at saving the city, and saving money.

There was a secret, flaky election with only a few 100 votes cast to move Bell out from under the CA regs that limit these types of salaries.

These guys have worked in CA govt their entire careers and certainly learned out to scam the taxpayers.
The city council who voted for them were also highly paid. Still, they have a well functioning city in California when others go bust.

Just saying, maybe they actually were worth it...

boutons_deux
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
their salaries are higher than LA's equilalent positions, and are the highest in the USA. The President of the US makes less.

Keep spinning. You dreaming of succeeding as a fucker fucking the taxpayers, esp the poor ones like in Bell CA?

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
their salaries are higher than LA's equilalent positions, and are the highest in the USA. The President of the US makes less.

Keep spinning. You dreaminb of succeeding as a fucker fucking the taxpayers, esp the poor ones like in Bell CA?
Look. I agree they were over paid. Still, they did an excellent job. I do not begrudge anyone for what they can effectively contract for themselves, as long as they are effective.

Why do you?

clambake
07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Clam is beyond pathetic. He's had nothing intelligent or informative to add to this thread; instead he's resorted to calling another poster an obscene name. He doesn't know me and he doesn't know what I look like or where I came from, but he's a big, brave man because he can use profanity on a message board. Ooooohh - I'll call her a nasty name, that'll teach her! His mother must be so proud of her little boy.

i call you a cunt because everyone will know who i'm talking about.

it's a public service.

ducks
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Thee Bell guys were obviously outliers.

But what they did was apparently completely legal, so they get cut off and pushed out, but no crime, and still get 10s of $Ms in pensions.

their pensions should be cut also

Wild Cobra
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
i call you a cunt because everyone will know who i'm talking about.

it's a public service.
It's OK, because we all know you are dog squeeze.

clambake
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
It's OK, because we all know you are dog squeeze.

i don't know what you're talking about, but you have strange thoughts.