PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Malik Hairston to Montepaschi? (Confirmed)

Pages : [1] 2

biziofromdowntown
07-29-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm in Italy right now, and i read a news about that. I dunno if ther's a link cause it was a newspaper (Gazzatta dello sport). But i'll tell u more if i'll know somethig more.

admiralsnackbar
07-29-2010, 05:22 AM
It'll be interesting to hear if there's anything to this.

chazley
07-29-2010, 05:31 AM
I hope he does go. He's shown me nothing on an NBA court that shows me he has any potential to fulfill a bench role in the NBA anytime soon.

biziofromdowntown
07-29-2010, 05:35 AM
It seems to be true. montapaschi lost Sato and would replace him with Malik.

Darkwaters
07-29-2010, 05:35 AM
So maybe the coaches keeping him out of summer league saying, "We already know what you bring to the table" wasn't such a good thing?

biziofromdowntown
07-29-2010, 05:36 AM
And here i found a link, if u need translation tell me.

http://www.sportando.net/ita/italia/seriea/11894/siena_accordo_con_malik_hairston.html

Bruno
07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Well, it's a little more than a rumor:

Montepaschi Sienna official web site:
http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/detailNews.aspx?K=6165

I guess Spurs will waive him soon to let him sign in Italy.

and Sienna is a good place for Malik to develop his game.

chazley
07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
And here i found a link, if u need translation tell me.

http://www.sportando.net/ita/italia/seriea/11894/siena_accordo_con_malik_hairston.html

Definitely need a translation if possible.

biziofromdowntown
07-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Definitely need a translation if possible.

well, nothing more than a confirm. Ther's a description of Maliks sessions and something about his ppg. it's a 2 years contract.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Using Google Translate:

Siena, according to Malik Hairston

The player signed a two-year
Mens Sana Basket announces that it has reached a two-year agreement with Malik Hairston, wing twenty-three of 198 cm per 100 kg. The U.S. player, released in 2008 by the University of Oregon was chosen with the number 48 in NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns, and transferred to the San Antonio Spurs.
In the 2008/2009 season has worn the jersey before the Spurs, playing 13 games before being assigned to the Austin Toros (D-League) where in 32 races was the third best scorer of the league with 23.7 ppg.

Last season he collected 38 caps in San Antonio (season high 16 points against Golden State), punctuated by a brief stint in the D-League Austin Toros, where he traveled in 15 games averaging 29.1 ppg with 4.7 rpg and 3 assists.

Young player, and full of great talent, Malik Hairston come to Siena to join the new round of Montepaschi.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Using Google Translate:

Mens Sana Basket announces that it has reached a two-year agreement with Malik Hairston, wing twenty-three of 198 cm per 100 kg. The U.S. player, released in 2008 by the University of Oregon was chosen with the number 48 in NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns, and transferred to the San Antonio Spurs.
In the 2008/2009 season has worn the jersey before the Spurs, playing 13 games before being assigned to the Austin Toros (D-League) where in 32 races was the third best scorer of the league with 23.7 ppg.

Last season he collected 38 caps in San Antonio (season high 16 points against Golden State), punctuated by a brief stint in the D-League Austin Toros, where he traveled in 15 games averaging 29.1 ppg with 4.7 rpg and 3 assists.

Young player, and full of great talent, Malik Hairston come to Siena to join the new round of Montepaschi.

Looks like a done deal.

Spurs roster now down to 13.

PG - Parker/Hill/Temple
SG - Ginobili/Anderson/Neal
SF - RJ/Gee
PF - Duncan/Bonner/Blair
C - Splitter/McDyess

That's one too many, Gee likely heading to Toros. Spurs light on the SF position.

DespЏrado
07-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Not totally unexpected. I wish him all the luck in the world, he just probably isn't going to make it in the NBA. Hope he can catch a ticket back to the NBA with some hard work.

biziofromdowntown
07-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Roster space for Gist!

ceperez
07-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Seems like Spurs D-league Toros experiment is coming out with Duds:

Mahinmi and now Hairston.

Verdict still out on Temple and Gee.

My hunch is Temple is still in and Gee will work his game back in the D-leagues.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Wonder why there aren't a bunch of playoff teams after him,after all he's equally as good as RJ. Seriously - read it in the internets!

Muser
07-29-2010, 06:37 AM
If only he could shoot.

eisfeld
07-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Good move imho, Hairston isn't really wing. SG position crowded with Manu, Hill, Anderson and Gee. No reason to keep him. I'd preferred the Spurs got something in return like a 2nd rounder or a project SF.

Will be interesting on whom they'll use the rest of the MLE.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-29-2010, 06:54 AM
It's not a rumour.

It's on the club's official website.

He's gone!

Anonymous Cowherd
07-29-2010, 06:55 AM
It's not a rumour.

It's on the club's official website.

He's gone!

Montepaschi: agreement with Malik Hairston 29/07/2010

Mens Sana Basket announces that it has reached a two-year agreement with Malik Hairston, wing twenty-three of 198 cm per 100 kg. The U.S. player, released by the University of Oregon in 2008 was elected to the NBA Draft with the number 48 by the Phoenix Suns and transferred to the San Antonio Spurs.

In the 2008/2009 season has worn the jersey before the Spurs, playing 13 games before being assigned to the Toros Austin (D-League) where in 32 races was the third best scorer of the league with 23.7 ppg.

Young player, and full of great talent, Malik Hairston come to Siena to join the next round of Montepaschi.

Video highlights and the player are online on MsbTv.

SpursRulez4eVeR
07-29-2010, 06:58 AM
oh wow...

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2010-11-signings/i/74258/4465/montepaschi-signs-malik-hairston
(http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2010-11-signings/i/74258/4465/montepaschi-signs-malik-hairston)
Italian League champion Montepaschi Siena kept completing its roster for the upcoming 2010-11 Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball season by inking small forward Malik Hairston to a two-year deal, the club confirmed Thursday. Hairston arrives from NBA powerhouse San Antonio, where he averaged 2.6 points in 38 NBA games last season. Last season, Hairston also played for Austin, averaging 29.1 points on 41.4% three-pointers and 4.7 rebounds in 15 D-League games before returning to the Spurs. He has played for Austin and San Antonio since finishing his college career at the University of Oregon (NCAA). Hairston helped Oregon to win the Pac-10 Tournament and reach the NCAA Quarterfinals in 2007. He has also been a member of the United States under-18 national team. Hairston is now ready to make his Euroleague debut in the 2010-11 season.

ChuckD
07-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Looks like a done deal.

PG - Parker/Hill/Temple
SF - RJ/Gee
PF - Duncan/Bonner/Blair
C - Splitter/McDyess

That's one too many, Gee likely heading to Toros. Spurs light on the SF position.

Jerrells?

ceperez
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Jerrells?

Yeah, forgot about him. But based on his SL performance, he is good as gone.

silverblackfan
07-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Well this is surprising, to say the least. I like Malik and how well he has buckled down and done whatever the Spurs asked him to do. Hopefully, he will get a good paycheck and continue to improve.

tdunk21
07-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Using Google Translate:

really?

ceperez
07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
really?

Yes for real. Are you in disbelief?

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Good luck Malik.

urunobili
07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
THC gone :depressed

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Wonder why there aren't a bunch of playoff teams after him,after all he's equally as good as RJ. Seriously - read it in the internets!

Clearly the plot to destroy Malik's nba career goes far beyond the Spurs. The other 29 teams must be in on it.

Either that or Malik just isn't that good.

One of the two............

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Looks like a done deal.

PG - Parker/Hill/Temple
SF - RJ/Gee
PF - Duncan/Bonner/Blair
C - Splitter/McDyess

If the Spurs feel Gee isn't ready for prime time yet, this makes one wonder WHY the team didn't bother to go after another SF?

timtonymanu
07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Saw this coming but didnt want to think about it.

The Spurs just lost their only decent perimeter defender. The front office is really obsessed with just finding shooters that are below average defenders.

I wish Malik the best. THC forever.

timtonymanu
07-29-2010, 07:33 AM
If the Spurs feel Gee isn't ready for prime time yet, this makes one wonder WHY the team didn't bother to go after another SF?

+1. If Hairston was gonna be gone all along, why didnt the Spurs go after Butler? I guess they'll sign shitty ass Morrison or something.

ChuckD
07-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah, forgot about him. But based on his SL performance, he is good as gone.

Can't always go off SL. Hill was awful. He may stick, and be on the Toros/Spurs shuttle.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Can't always go off SL. Hill was awful. He may stick, and be on the Toros/Spurs shuttle.

He's good as gone!

Just look at the PG position, it is full! Parker, Hill, Temple even Neal may play the point.

What's missing is a SF.

ChuckD
07-29-2010, 07:40 AM
What did him in was twofold: he never stood out among the prospects, and he was out of Toros options.

ChuckD
07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
He's good as gone!

Just look at the PG position, it is full! Parker, Hill, Temple even Neal may play the point.

What's missing is a SF.

If they think he may be worth developing beyond this year, he could shuttle between SA and Austin this year. Both Temple and Neal have the size to play SG. Anderson may swing to the SF, too, behind RJ and Gee.

Leonard Curse
07-29-2010, 07:45 AM
THATS A WONDERFUL QUESTION!!!!! TO ADD TO THIS HUGE LIST I HAVE BUT... remember you cant question pops insanity here so lets just hush up before somebody goes apeshit on us. we could have kept him for garbage minutes/insurance at freaking least who else knows our plays that well??!!!, and ill bet you money pop has no "great" plan if he even has one at all!. theres not enough cash and remember our team lets players walk we dont trade here so were really screwed on the SF position guys oh well...
:worthy::pop::whine i sure hope this isnt another drunk season

ok 2 be optomistic maybe hairston will come back after those 2 yrs

ElNono
Another player the Spurs develop for two seasons and leaves bringing nothing in return...

There's no need to dog on Hairston, BTW. He was a project. He probably felt he wouldn't get too many minutes in our roster and this was probably a good deal for him.

benefactor
I guess the Spurs are pretty high on Gee. They will likely sign a vet SF now.

ChuckD
07-29-2010, 07:46 AM
It's also a bit telling that Demps isn't making a move for Malik. He positively gushed with praise for Gee. N.O. is in need of some good cheap young talent, and if the Spurs are going to release him, you'd think Demps would give him a call, at least.

ElNono

They don't want to pay the luxury tax, most likely.

benefactor
Another player the Spurs develop for two seasons and leaves bringing nothing in return...

There's no need to dog on Hairston, BTW. He was a project. He probably felt he wouldn't get too many minutes in our roster and this was probably a good deal for him.
Yup. He will probably spend a couple of seasons in Europe and then sign elsewhere.

Leonard Curse
07-29-2010, 07:52 AM
im mad, but its more disappointing that was a huge/long investment and a big waste of time and space for others who would of been drafted!! maybe this means anderson is playing SF?

Truth4sale$
07-29-2010, 07:55 AM
As I am neither a Hariston Hater or supporter I think this hurts the Spurs. Hariston's loss will be huge. As of right now on the current roster their is NOBODY who can play above average defense at the SG/SF position with the exception of Manu. I don't include Hill because he is a combo SG/PG.
This shows that with Popovich, he either loves you or loses faith in you. You can man up (G.Hill) or regress / get lost (Manhimi). Critics can say Malik can't shoot or has poor ballhandling but that was good enough for Popovich to play Bogans. Perhaps Malik was told to go over to Europe because he was not quite ready yet. He had no Dleague eligibility left. Perhaps the spurs still own his rights like the Hawks owned Childress. Either way, Malik will get better playing time and hopefully he works on his game and is back here in two years. By then he will be a euro-veteran and he should get some playing time for sure. Good luck!

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Great. Let's just go out and try to outscore the opposition on a nightly basis.

While other WC teams are getting tougher and more physical, the Spurs are becoming more and more of a finesse team. Now the Spurs don't have a single perimeter defender on the team. How the hell is this team supposed to be any better defensively when they have nothing but poor defenders all around?

It's officlal. Pop has morphed into Don Nelson and the Spurs are now the Golden State Warriors South. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Duncan comes out this season and shows off his new offensive weapon - 3pt shot a la Mehmet Okur. Sheesh!

benefactor
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
OV's head is going to explode when he logs on and sees this.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Let's try to construct the F.O. reasoning here:

(1) Rookies who never play a day in the D-league remain in the team (example: Hill, Blair).
(2) Rookies who have been assigned to play exclusively in the D-league never make the team (example: Hairston, Mahinmi)
(3) D-league players (example: Gee, Temple) who are signed stay in the team IF they never get re-assigned to the D-league.

D-league play is the kiss of death if you ever previously got suited up in the Spurs uniform. Or stated in another way, no legit Spurs player ever gets assigned to the D-league.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-29-2010, 08:20 AM
time to remove "Rumor" from the thread title

kobyz
07-29-2010, 08:32 AM
it's good i prefer Gee!

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
D-league play is the kiss of death if you ever previously got suited up in the Spurs uniform. Or stated in another way, no legit Spurs player ever gets assigned to the D-league.

So exactly WHERE is the developmental advantage?

Somewhere Dennis Johnson is rolling over in his grave?

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Lame. Let's see what the spurs have planned to fill the massive defensive hole at sf.

Solid D
07-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Best wishes for Malik in Italy. He's a great player who should excel there with his slashing, energy and hops. I'm sure he'll enjoy knocking a few off the rim and getting away with it.

Gee is the obvious choice to replace Hairston's role with some time in Austin. The Spurs still need a SF and a Big going into training camp. Garrett Temple, if you think about it, may have made Hairston expendable. Garrett is 6-6, can play 3 positions, and is an excellent defender - every bit as good a defender on the perimeter as Malik Hairston has been.

The Spurs may still make a play for a vet. If they don't, then Pop is really sold on giving lots of floor time to Anderson and Temple.

AFBlue
07-29-2010, 08:45 AM
So exactly WHERE is the developmental advantage?

Somewhere Dennis Johnson is rolling over in his grave?

Dude, he's giving you a fairly weak logic-based argument and you're getting emotional. Look at the sample size...you really think that 2 players in each category over three years is really enough to establish a trend? And what about Gee...you can't compare him to Temple b/c he's never played a minute with the big club.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the Spurs make this move now, prior to training camp where they could've legitimately seen if Hairston or Gee was better for the ballclub. This tells me one of two things...

1) Spurs just didn't feel that Hairston was worth the guaranteed money he was owed and cut him.

2) Hairston requested to be released so that he could sign with another team for more money and opportunity to play.

Seventyniner
07-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Lame. Let's see what the spurs have planned to fill the massive defensive hole at sf.

So Jefferson is a worse defender than Parker? Or Ginobili? Face it, the Spurs' system no longer relies on having "that one" perimeter defender at the SF position who also happens to hit corner threes. The system will change this coming year. It won't be drastically different, but different nonetheless.

8FOR!3
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Morrison/Nachbar/T-Mac

One of those three...:king

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I def think Malik could have contributed. Bogans got plenty of minutes and Malik certainly is better than Bogans. This is not some huge loss, but the Spurs, even w 40m have a huge hole at the SF spot.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 08:50 AM
So Jefferson is a worse defender than Parker? Or Ginobili? Face it, the Spurs' system no longer relies on having "that one" perimeter defender at the SF position who also happens to hit corner threes. The system will change this coming year. It won't be drastically different, but different nonetheless.

Yes, he is clearly worse than both of those players defensively.

weebo
07-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Just another guy chasing the money instead of the dream.

sandman
07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Hairston doesn't go play in Italy if he truly was the type of player than some of you wish he was. You see a hole in the roster and you desparately want it filled, but wishing it so and making it so are not the same things.

The Truth #6
07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Holding him back from the SL seemed weird at the time.

"But Coach Bud said everything was fine!"

Good luck to Malik. The Youth Movement was overestimated. I'm preparing for a return if the Centerpiece.

Seventyniner
07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes, he is clearly worse than both of those players defensively.

According to basketball-reference.com, here are their DRtg (defensive ratings of points allowed per 100 possessions) scores from last season, with lower numbers being better:

Ginobili: 104
Jefferson: 106
Parker: 108

Now you can hit me with the "stats don't matter" argument and we'll go from there.

yavozerb
07-29-2010, 09:09 AM

:lol, at the Massive hole...Now maybe the spurs can fill in the massive hole created on offense by Malik

8FOR!3
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
So wait, The Youth Movement is ruined because we lost one dude who we were unsure about in the first place and had him AT BEST as the backup SF getting little minutes, even though he has managed to remain pretty damn irrelevant the two years he's been in the league? Did we mention that this guy can't shoot? He's just athletic. So is Tony Allan, but he's not as good a defender. So he can't hit free throws, he can't shoot, he seems to be a good slasher and a defender, but we all know that he's never going to turn out to be anything but a bottom of the bench player in the NBA, 9-12 roster slot at best. I really can't explain to you guys how underwhelmed I really am by this announcement.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 09:14 AM
:lol, at the Massive hole...Now maybe the spurs can fill in the massive hole created on offense by Malik

If you don't think there is a massive hole at SF, that is on you. Most can see it pretty clearly.

yavozerb
07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
OV's head is going to explode when he logs on and sees this.

I was just thinking the same thing...

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
According to basketball-reference.com, here are their DRtg (defensive ratings of points allowed per 100 possessions) scores from last season, with lower numbers being better:

Ginobili: 104
Jefferson: 106
Parker: 108

Now you can hit me with the "stats don't matter" argument and we'll go from there.

So Gino was def better, so you were wrong there. Then you take TP's most injured year as a comparison :lol

Also when comparing TP and RJ, one carries the offense. TP when focused is a better defender than RJ at this point in their career. No doubt.

yavozerb
07-29-2010, 09:18 AM
If you don't think there is a massive hole at SF, that is on you. Most can see it pretty clearly.

Hate to tell you but there was a hole there even when Hairston was still here..And when you say "massive hole" you are truly exagerating cause of your hate for RJ. Yes, we need depth at the 3, but, we simply need a back up SF who can feel in 10-15 minutes.

E-RockWill
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Clearing money to bring the Big Fiesta? :stirpot:

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Hate to tell you but there was a hole there even when Hairston was still here..And when you say "massive hole" you are truly exagerating cause of your hate for RJ. Yes, we need depth at the 3, but, we simply need a back up SF who can feel in 10-15 minutes.

We did have a hole with Malik. It is now worse. Just RJ is a massive hole bc he provides very little.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't hate RJ. Saying someone is a bad fit and they are over paid does not mean you hate them. I hate his role and impact on the team, not him

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
It's not a big deal. Just shoot more threes. That's fifty percent more points per shot, folks. You don't need defense when you can outscore your opponent.

rmt
07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Clearing money to bring the Big Fiesta? :stirpot:

I hope so. The Spurs need him for Bynum/Gasol. Try to get a vet. backup SF and call it a day.

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Gee is the obvious choice to replace Hairston's role with some time in Austin.
Do you think he'll need to spend MOST or even ALL of the year in Austin?

The Spurs still need a SF and a Big going into training camp. The Spurs may still make a play for a vet. If they don't, then Pop is really sold on giving lots of floor time to Anderson and Temple.

Here's the funny thing. The Spurs were in need of a "true" backup SF and an athletic big going into the offseason. This is certainly, and in no way, a "poo-poo" of the additions of Anderson & Splitter. Yet they still have deficiencies at the aforementioned two areas.

timvp
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm surprised ... mostly by the timing. I was never overly high on Hairston but I'm surprised he wasn't given one final legit chance to contribute. This obviously had to have been in motion for a while. A run in training camp, or at least summer league, seemed fair.

The Spurs must be comfortable with Gee, Temple and/or Anderson, which is understandable. If the Spurs told Hairston that he was the odd man out, Hairston made a good career move. Sato has played with Sienna since the 2006-07 season and he's made good strides in his game. Hairston has a very similar skill-set and should be able to step right in and do what Sato did. Even though he'll be in Europe, Hairston, if he plays well, will remain on the NBA radar.

As for the Spurs, it's a bit risky because Hairston has the ability to be a quality perimeter defender and very good rebounder. That could have been a useful combination. Yes, Hairston's inability to shoot three-pointers, his lack of D-League eligibility and his underdeveloped perimeter skills worked against him, but he remained a somewhat interesting prospect. Now, working on his outside shot, ballhandling and attention to detail on defense will be the areas he can potential grow while in Europe.

Is there any chance that the Spurs retain his rights? That'd be nice. If Hairston continues to get in shape and continues to make the transition from power forward to shooting guard, he's a player who could make it back into the NBA.

Good luck, Malik :tu

Solid D
07-29-2010, 09:41 AM
We did have a hole with Malik. It is now worse. Just RJ is a massive hole bc he provides very little.

I disagree. I don't believe it to be a massive hole. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Garrett Temple's ability to play 3 positions and play defense on the perimeter had eroded some of Malik Hairston's opportunities for minutes. James Anderson plays the wing, so it's no more a hole than it was last year. Do the Spurs need a long, athletic, shooting, defender at the 3-4? Absolutely! Is there one out there...not without a price in $ and players there's not.

koriwhat
07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
that sucks. i always thought with enough playing time malik could shine. his defense is pretty top notch.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
There's a couple of good reasons for Hairston leaving the team:

(1) Drafting SG James Anderson -> Less playing time.
(2) Signing of SG Gary Neal -> Less playing time.
(3) Playing behind Keith Bogans in the previous season.
(4) Gee -> Same kind of player.

What is clear hear is that the Spurs prefers a Gary Neal type player over a Hairston type player at SG. Remember, Neal was signed AFTER the Spurs decided not to play Hairston in SL. Looks like Spurs were more than willing to let Hairston go even without a Neal signing. Which tells me that it could either be (1) or (4) with (1) be the most likely.

Now open question, does the Spurs have Hairston's rights now that he signed in Europe? If he improves and returns to the NBA, does the Spurs have his rights like the Hawks' had Childress' rights?

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm surprised ... mostly by the timing. I was never overly high on Hairston but I'm surprised he wasn't given one final legit chance to contribute. This obviously had to have been in motion for a while. A run in training camp, or at least summer league, seemed fair.

With this news, isn't it odd that the Spurs didn't get one last look at Hairston in summer league? The fact that Hairston DIDN'T participate in SL seemed to signal, at least to me, that his future was secure. Oops!

ceperez
07-29-2010, 09:46 AM
With this news, isn't it odd that the Spurs didn't get one last look at Hairston in summer league? The fact that Hairston DIDN'T participate in SL seemed to signal, at least to me, that his future was secure. Oops!

It's likely he had the deal in motion to play in Europe prior to Summer League. He may have used it as a bargaining chip, however apparently the Spurs didn't bite.

rayray2k8
07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Doubt anyone will miss him. Best of luck to him.

MaNu4Tres
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Pretty damn shocking.

Good luck Malik.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Must have felt like a kick in the nads when a complete stranger comes from Europe and gets signed to a 3 year contract, while you've been busting your ass off for two seasons, done everything asked of you, and being told you're the odd player out.

I'm glad Malik could find this situation in Italy. Hopefully he does well over there.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM

They left him out to put in Neal at the last minute... So I guess they already knew something was brewing there...

stnick2261
07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Dude, he's giving you a fairly weak logic-based argument and you're getting emotional. Look at the sample size...you really think that 2 players in each category over three years is really enough to establish a trend? And what about Gee...you can't compare him to Temple b/c he's never played a minute with the big club.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the Spurs make this move now, prior to training camp where they could've legitimately seen if Hairston or Gee was better for the ballclub. This tells me one of two things...

1) Spurs just didn't feel that Hairston was worth the guaranteed money he was owed and cut him.

2) Hairston requested to be released so that he could sign with another team for more money and opportunity to play.

probably option 2... since I don't believe Hairston had any guaranteed money at all. He must have thought going overseas was a better option than possibly being cut in training camp and missing out on a paycheck.

I can't imagine this being the FO's choice, but only being accomodating to Hairston's wishes

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Must have felt like a kick in the nads when a complete stranger comes from Europe and gets signed to a 3 year contract, while you've been busting your ass off for two seasons, done everything asked of you, and being told you're the odd player out.

I'm glad Malik could find this situation in Italy. Hopefully he does well over there.

As was mentioned, it's pretty clear now that he wasn't kept from the SL team because his job was secure. It likely happened so that there was less danger of him upstaging Gee or Temple, so this move has been coming for a while. I noticed that Phila hasn't included Hairston in a single post since summer league. Wonder if he knew this all along.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM

I think he was the other way, Malik had a deal in Europe as a bargaining chip prior to SL, Spurs didn't bite, he moves on.

Neal signing came after.

Other alternative scenario was that Spurs actually encouraged Malik to ship out the Europe like they did Gist.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I think he was the other way, Malik had a deal in Europe as a bargaining chip prior to SL, Spurs didn't bite, he moves on.

Neal signing came after.

Other alternative scenario was that Spurs actually encouraged Malik to ship out the Europe like they did Gist.

Yeah, the first part of that actually makes the most sense. If the Spurs were going to hitch their wagon to three point attempts in favor of defense, then they may have hurried him out the door as well.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah, the first part of that actually makes the most sense. If the Spurs were going to hitch their wagon to three point attempts in favor of defense, then they may have hurried him out the door as well.

Recall that Neal signing was after SL.

The James Anderson signing was likely what triggered Hairston to look for some greener pastures.

So I don't think it was a choice between 3 point shooting versus defense.

Of course, it's clear that Neal's ability was more valued than Hairston. Why sign him for 3 years and give Hairston scraps?

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I disagree. I don't believe it to be a massive hole. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Garrett Temple's ability to play 3 positions and play defense on the perimeter had eroded some of Malik Hairston's opportunities for minutes. James Anderson plays the wing, so it's no more a hole than it was last year. Do the Spurs need a long, athletic, shooting, defender at the 3-4? Absolutely! Is there one out there...not without a price in $ and players there's not.

And last year, as we saw with the poor play from Bogans and RJ, the hole at the SF spot proved to be rather large. I am not saying there is a great fit out there, but that does not change the fact there is a problem; it adds to it. The improvement will likely have to come via trade. Spurs do not have one above average perimeter defender.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
As was mentioned, it's pretty clear now that he wasn't kept from the SL team because his job was secure. It likely happened so that there was less danger of him upstaging Gee or Temple, so this move has been coming for a while. I noticed that Phila hasn't included Hairston in a single post since summer league. Wonder if he knew this all along.

Neal signing came after.

Regardless of what came first, Malik was the guy that put two seasons in the system, to get an opportunity for the same kind of deal Neal received after one SL showing. I would fairly pissed, Italian deal or not.

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Recall that Neal signing was after SL.

The James Anderson signing was likely what triggered Hairston to look for some greener pastures.

So I don't think it was a choice between 3 point shooting versus defense.

Of course, it's clear that Neal's ability was more valued than Hairston. Why sign him for 3 years and give Hairston scraps?

If Anderson was going to affect Hairston's decision then that ball started rolling on draft night. The Spurs weren't going to draft Anderson and then not sign him.

yavozerb
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
And last year, as we saw with the poor play from Bogans and RJ, the hole at the SF spot proved to be rather large. I am not saying there is a great fit out there, but that does not change the fact there is a problem; it adds to it. The improvement will likely have to come via trade. Spurs do not have one above average perimeter defender.

If the spurs strictly wanted just an above average perimeter defender then Bogans would have been re-signed or Hairston would be playing more. The fact is the spurs will live with an average defender at the 3 as long as he can provide some help on the offensive end.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't think the Spurs are necessarily trying to hang their hat on outscoring teams with threes instead of defense like some of you are implying or saying outright. I liked Malik, but there is some serious overrating of his defense. He was solid but nothing that great.

I'm not too surprised by the move because of the luxury tax situation. Out of the four non guarnteeds the Spurs were going to need to get rid of 2 at least. I never expected one of those to be Temple because he showed the most out of any of the 4 last year and I never expected Jerrells to stick. That meant likely choosing between Hariston and Gee and it looks like things are lining up for Gee.

longtimelurker
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Spurs/FIBA News: San Antonio joins forces with mens Sana
link (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=5413&r_cat=8&page=1)

USA - San Antonio joins forces with mens Sana

SIENA (Lega A) - The NBA has been plucking some of the finest talent from Europe for more than a decade with the San Antonio Spurs among the clubs to benefit.

Now the most cosmopolitan team in the league, which has Frenchman Tony Parker, Argentinian Emanuel Ginobili and Slovenians Rasho Nesterovic and Beno Udrih in the squad, has approached Italian champions Montepaschi Siena about moving forward together in partnership.

"The San Antonio Spurs have contacted the Biancoverde club to consider a collaboration in the future," said a statement on the Siena website,
menssanabasket.it.

"In the past few days, a letter signed by Sam Presti, director of player personnel at San Antonio Spurs, arrived at the club in which, apart from complimenting our team, says they have considered the idea that both clubs undertake a common path to reach different strategies, but all linked to basketball of the highest level.

"Mens Sana Basket has welcomed the proposal and has already opened the relevant channels to reach as soon as possible a collaboration with the
Spurs."

Manu : hey we have this guy Hairston who is good but still needs some work, no more D-League elgibility, can you help us?
Siena : sure, want to do the retain rights thing?
R.C. : absolutely. see you in two years.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Regardless of what came first, Malik was the guy that put two seasons in the system, to get an opportunity for the same kind of deal Neal received after one SL showing. I would fairly pissed, Italian deal or not.

Yup. But this is the NBA, it's either you got talent or you do not.

timvp
07-29-2010, 10:09 AM
According to DraftExpress, Sienna recently gave Bo McCalebb a $1.5 million deal. With that in mind, it's very possible Hairston will be making quite a bit more than the NBA minimum this season ... so can't shed too many tears for him.

It'd be interesting to know if the Spurs let Hairston go, if Hairston left to get the guaranteed money or if it was a mutual decision. If Hairston wanted to get guaranteed money, he had to act quickly because the Euro money was going fast and the cash well isn't as deep this year.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:09 AM

I wish Malik the best but the NBA is a business.

ceperez
07-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Spurs/FIBA News: San Antonio joins forces with mens Sana
link (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=5413&r_cat=8&page=1)

USA - San Antonio joins forces with mens Sana

SIENA (Lega A) - The NBA has been plucking some of the finest talent from Europe for more than a decade with the San Antonio Spurs among the clubs to benefit.

Now the most cosmopolitan team in the league, which has Frenchman Tony Parker, Argentinian Emanuel Ginobili and Slovenians Rasho Nesterovic and Beno Udrih in the squad, has approached Italian champions Montepaschi Siena about moving forward together in partnership.

"The San Antonio Spurs have contacted the Biancoverde club to consider a collaboration in the future," said a statement on the Siena website,
menssanabasket.it.

"In the past few days, a letter signed by Sam Presti, director of player personnel at San Antonio Spurs, arrived at the club in which, apart from complimenting our team, says they have considered the idea that both clubs undertake a common path to reach different strategies, but all linked to basketball of the highest level.

"Mens Sana Basket has welcomed the proposal and has already opened the relevant channels to reach as soon as possible a collaboration with the
Spurs."

Manu : hey we have this guy Hairston who is good but still needs some work, no more D-League elgibility, can you help us?
Siena : sure, want to do the retain rights thing?
R.C. : absolutely. see you in two years.

Good find. Why couldn't they stash Mahinmi over there too?

DPG21920
As things stand today, with all of the unknowns, if it was between Neal & Malik I feel the spurs made the wrong choice. There are a lot of question marks around both players, but Malik's defense and rebounding were needed just as much if not more than Neal's shooting IMO.

But I feel Neal does not have the tools to defend at the Nba level, but Malik has shown the ability to shoot, at least on the DL level. I feel Malik had a better chance at being a decent shooter (plus he can finish at the rim) than Neal has at being a good defender. If both skill sets are valued, I feel Malik had the higher ceiling.

MannyIsGod
According to DraftExpress, Sienna recently gave Bo McCalebb a $1.5 million deal. With that in mind, it's very possible Hairston will be making quite a bit more than the NBA minimum this season ... so can't shed too many tears for him.

It'd be interesting to know if the Spurs let Hairston go, if Hairston left to get the guaranteed money or if it was a mutual decision. If Hairston wanted to get guaranteed money, he had to act quickly because the Euro money was going fast and the cash well isn't as deep this year.

After being on the roster so much last year you have to think the Spurs had at least a hand this year as most would expect Malik to get a legit shot to make the roster again. I didn't think he was amazing last year but he should he was an NBA player.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't think the Spurs are necessarily trying to hang their hat on outscoring teams with threes instead of defense like some of you are implying or saying outright. I liked Malik, but there is some serious overrating of his defense. He was solid but nothing that great.

I'm not too surprised by the move because of the luxury tax situation. Out of the four non guarnteeds the Spurs were going to need to get rid of 2 at least. I never expected one of those to be Temple because he showed the most out of any of the 4 last year and I never expected Jerrells to stick. That meant likely choosing between Hariston and Gee and it looks like things are lining up for Gee.

Gee has one more year of D-league eligibility so they can waste a roster spot on him for one more season before letting him go. It appears to come down to who you can have on the roster and not give minutes to.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
If the spurs strictly wanted just an above average perimeter defender then Bogans would have been re-signed or Hairston would be playing more. The fact is the spurs will live with an average defender at the 3 as long as he can provide some help on the offensive end.

Who do we have that is an avg defender at the position?Also, your reasoning is what a lot of us disagree with.

ElNono
Yup. But this is the NBA, it's either you got talent or you do not.

I wish Malik the best but the NBA is a business.

No, I understand. But at the same time it reflects poorly on the Toros, that's all. It's not like Neal is a known quality player.

MannyIsGod
I am almost 100% sure the Spurs wont' go out and get a vet SF, btw. If they do they're going to be effectively paying 5 mill or so for him if Bruno's lux tax calcs are right.

I think Pop is going to have to give young players a good amount of minutes this year. Thats a breath of fresh air.

Obstructed_View
As things stand today, with all of the unknowns, if it was between Neal & Malik I feel the spurs made the wrong choice. There are a lot of question marks around both players, but Malik's defense and rebounding were needed just as much if not more than Neal's shooting IMO.

But I feel Neal does not have the tools to defend at the Nba level, but Malik has shown the ability to shoot, at least on the DL level. I feel Malik had a better chance at being a decent shooter (plus he can finish at the rim) than Neal has at being a good defender. If both skill sets are valued, I feel Malik had the higher ceiling.

Well we're going to find out who's right. Hairston and Neal have basically swapped places, except that I expect Neal to be given far more opportunity to play than Hairston ever got.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Dude you're acting like Hariston's mother. :lol

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
It's gee time

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
If the Spurs do carry 13 players it will be interesting who the odd man out is. Gee does have Dleague eligibility left but Temple seems the likeliest to see IR most of the time.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
It's gee time

Is it? I think Gee will be touring with the Toros...

I see more of RJ for 30+ minutes and the rest with Hill and the 3 guard lineup...

We shall see...

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Who do we have that is an avg defender at the position?Also, your reasoning is what a lot of us disagree with.

The bigger question: Who do the Spurs even have outside of RJ now that can reasonably be expected to defend NBA threes? Hairston was undersized but he had length and had shown the ability to defend bigger guys. I think some folks aren't realizing that Neal is way too small to play the small forward position and that Anderson was widely regarded to be a terrible defender.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Dude you're acting like Hariston's mother. :lol

No I'm acting like a guy who hates smallball. I hope you like it, because you're gonna get your fill of it.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Hairston never showed anything on an NBA court that showed he could be a big time contributor. I understand the argument of keeping him over Neal because our lack of players at the sf position but IMO Neal does have more upside and so does Gee. I love Malik and wish him well if he's gone. Neal would have been a guaranteed first round pick back when if it wasn't for the law.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't know what hating small ball has to do with conspiracy theories.

Actually, I think we'll see far less of four smalls on the court this year. The Spurs have 5 solid bigs and there really shouldn't be a reason to play small ball. I do think we'll see a lot of our 2s getting minutes at the 3 which will be interesting to see on defense but those 2 spots are fairly interchangeable.

Better interior defense will go a long way to making that a smaller issue as well.

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
The bigger question: Who do the Spurs even have outside of RJ now that can reasonably be expected to defend NBA threes?

Two words: No one - which is the question I asked earlier in the thread. As we know, RJ aint that great at guarding anyone, either. Therefore, it seemingly was important to have a backup SF, whose skills could offset the defiencies (defense, 3-pt shooting) that RJ doesn't provide.

I guess Pop is comfortable with his smallish roster.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Unless you are talking about small ball being undersized at the 1 and 2 positions your wrong. No way we play more small ball than we did last season after rj failed miserably at it. Splitter signing and Blair looking at a big time minute increase will prevent it.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Wow hairstons defense is more overrated Than George hills on this board. :lmao at people thinking Hairston is some shut down defender. Please

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
We'll have an undersized 3 a lot of the time out there. For pretty much the entire Duncan Era, we've had undersized 3s. Its not the biggest deal in the world.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Hairston never showed anything on an NBA court that showed he could be a big time contributor. I understand the argument of keeping him over Neal because our lack of players at the sf position but IMO Neal does have more upside and so does Gee. I love Malik and wish him well if he's gone. Neal would have been a guaranteed first round pick back when if it wasn't for the law.

Malik showed in limited minutes that he was an NBA level player. At this point Neal has not. Why do you feel Neal has a higher upside?

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Whats Temple's wingspan? I think Solid D is onto something about being able to defend 3 positions. They might actually be expecting big things out of Temple.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
We'll have an undersized 3 a lot of the time out there. For pretty much the entire Duncan Era, we've had undersized 3s. Its not the biggest deal in the world.

Those undersized 3's could shoot 3's and defend

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Hairston never showed anything on an NBA court that showed he could be a big time contributor.

And Neal did?

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Actually, the more I think about it the more Gee is going to be RJ's "backup". Temple is just as big but I think Gee will slide into that role quicker.

There's a log jam at shooting guard. Its going to be strange.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I like Temple a lot. I thought he and Malik would be nice. Like most said, this does not do anything really for the Spurs chances, but this is ST and we care about guys 1-15 :lol

HarlemHeat37
Hairston had a limited sample size last year, but he was ranked the #1 isolation defender in the entire NBA last year..again, small sample size, but still meaningful from a potential standpoint..the offensive player went 5-31 against Malik in 1 on 1 situations..something like that isn't just ignored, it's obviously worth reading into..most of it was against rotation players too, not star players for the most part, but a lot of rotation players..

I like Temple and I think he's going to be a good player, but I don't think he's big(not talking about height) and athletic enough to defend SFs..

I find it hard to believe that the Spurs would let him go without looking at him again in TC/preseason, especially when they've all made comments about how high they are on him..

So I would assume that he chose to go to Europe so that he could get more money, playing time and an opportunity to develop his game so he can have a future in basketball..or the Spurs just didn't want to guarantee his money when they already have a bunch of swingmen on the roster already..

Hopefully it's the former..choosing a horrible defender and a sexual predator over Hairston, just because he can shoot 3s, is a bad move going forward IMO..the Spurs had a big need in 3-point shooting coming into this season, but it looks like they might be putting too much of an emphasis on it..people seem to forget that the Spurs of the past few seasons had too many 3-point shooters and not enough defenders, and it appears that they're going down the same road again..

MannyIsGod
Those undersized 3's could shoot 3's and defend

Well if Malik could shoot he'd probably still be here. Or if he had anywhere near half of Bowen level defense.

ElNono
Actually, the more I think about it the more Gee is going to be RJ's "backup". Temple is just as big but I think Gee will slide into that role quicker.

There's a log jam at shooting guard. Its going to be strange.

I think Pop is in love with Temple's D and shooting, and said as much when interviewed. I definitely see the Temple SF experiment extensively tested this season.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I like Temple a lot. I thought he and Malik would be nice. Like most said, this does not do anything really for the Spurs chances, but this is ST and we care about guys 1-15 :lol

We have a sickness

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Malik showed in limited minutes that he was an NBA level player. At this point Neal has not. Why do you feel Neal has a higher upside?

Malik showed in limited minutes that he was an NBA level player.

You're opinion....

I feel Neal has the skillset to be a better player. No doubt he is better offensively it's not even close and while his defense is nothing to write home about neither is Hairstons. Spurstalk is ridiculous for slobbing all over Hairstons defense when he's done/shown nothing. The guy is not some shut down defender. Pop is in love with defense... you think he would cut a guy who's the next "bruce bowen" according to yall.

plus Neal has succeeded in every league he's been in overseas and would have been a guaranteed first rounder if it weren't for his run in with the law. that's a fact.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
We have a sickness

The offseason is just too long.. :lol

HarlemHeat37
You're opinion....

I feel Neal has the skillset to be a better player. No doubt he is better offensively it's not even close and while his defense is nothing to write home about neither is Hairstons. Spurstalk is ridiculous for slobbing all over Hairstons defense when he's done/shown nothing. The guy is not some shut down defender. Pop is in love with defense... you think he would cut a guy who's the next "bruce bowen" according to yall.

plus Neal has succeeded in every league he's been in overseas and would have been a guaranteed first rounder if it weren't for his run in with the law. that's a fact.

:lol

MannyIsGod
I think Pop is in love with Temple's D and shooting, and said so as much when interviewed. I definitely see the Temple SF experiment extensively tested this season.

I don't know what his wingspan is but at 6'6" his versatility is the stuff coaches love.

It will be exciting to see young guys get minutes this year no matter what. With no bad vets on the roster at these positions and Pop's likely reluctance to play Manu too many minutes we're going to see some intersting combinations between Anderson, Neal, Temple, and Gee.

DesignatedT
And Neal did?

He hasn't been given a chance yet. He has succeeded in every other league he's played in overseason (which are a lot more competitive than the NBA dleague) and I believe he could be a solid player in the NBA.

ElNono
You're opinion....

:lmao

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't know what hating small ball has to do with conspiracy theories.

What conspiracy theory? The Spurs value shooting over defense, value vets over young players, and value guys Pop has a crush on over everything. I simply said I expect Neal to get a lot more burn than Hairston got. We saw it with Anthony Tolliver so it's not like there's no precedent.

Actually, I think we'll see far less of four smalls on the court this year. The Spurs have 5 solid bigs and there really shouldn't be a reason to play small ball. I do think we'll see a lot of our 2s getting minutes at the 3 which will be interesting to see on defense but those 2 spots are fairly interchangeable.

Better interior defense will go a long way to making that a smaller issue as well.

I'm not sure where you think the Spurs have five solid bigs. I'm really hoping Splitter can be a starting quality center on the defensive end, but most people are projecting him to be the backup at this point. That leaves Duncan, Dice, Bonner and Blair. Not much size there, and not a lot of solid interior defense to back up the lack of size on the perimeter. There's a very real danger of seeing Bonner as the first big off the bench in defensive situations. Again.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:37 AM

jokes on you. Defense is still Pop's focal point and it's always been that way. Why would he cut Malik if his defense is so spectacular and then he brought in Bogans last season for the same exact thing.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
He hasn't been given a chance yet.

And Malik was given a chance?

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Why is Hairston going overseas anyway? Why not to another NBA team...

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
You're opinion....

Lol your logic is crazy. Malik is a very good defender. The numbers back that up.

Chieflion

Not too many teams would even need him in a rotation. In Europe, he can make more dough and get more playing time. If he develops his game further, he could make a comeback in the NBA.

DesignatedT
And Malik was given a chance?

2 years and 500 more NBA minutes than Neal has.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Europe pays better than the NBA min contract...

Borosai
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Muuuuuullllleeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Why did 26 year old Neal prove himself overseas instead of in the NBA?...

ElNono
2 years and 500 more NBA minutes than Neal has.

So you're saying Hairston is more of a NBA player than Neal... since he has 2 years and 500 minutes of NBA experience?

Why did Neal go to Europe instead of playing for an NBA team?

HarlemHeat37
jokes on you. Defense is still Pop's focal point and it's always been that way. Why would he cut Malik if his defense is so spectacular and then he brought in Bogans last season for the same exact thing.

Defense is far from Pop's focal point, which is evident from his excessive small ball lineups when the Spurs clearly don't have the personnel to use it, and his over-usage of guys like Finley and Mason over the last 2 seasons..

The fact that he has used Udoka and Bogans as defensive stoppers the last few years, failing to realize that the league has gotten more athletic(which is needed, especially with the lack of handchecking), also speaks on his loss of defensive recognition IMO..

I'm not a Pop hater, never have been, but I can't see how somebody would say he's still focused on defense..

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't care that Hairston is going to Europe..I'm a fan and I'd rather see him stick, but I'm pretty sure he chose to go there to make more money, get PT and develop his game, that's on him, it's probably the best decision he could have made..

My point is simply that I hope the Spurs didn't choose Kobe Neal over him, if it was their decision to get rid of Hairston..

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Ian has a better chance of making something out of himself in the NBA than Hairston does. That's the truth. Hairston has always been overrated on a board that flocks to any sort of athleticism (Ian,Pops,Hairston,White)

I like Hairston just like most people but just like I said at the end of last season I would rather have Gee.

elemento
lol @ temple at SF

ElNono
I don't care that Hairston is going to Europe..I'm a fan and I'd rather see him stick, but I'm pretty sure he chose to go there to make more money, get PT and develop his game..

Ditto. I'm actually glad he got that side deal to go play somewhere. He looks like a good kid, and would have sucked to see him cut and out of work.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Pop benched Bowen and Hill against the Mavs. To say that the Spurs have cared much about defense the last few years is laughable. RC didn't say the Spurs needed defense, he said they needed shooting, even though the stats clearly don't back that up.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
So you're saying Hairston is more of a NBA player than Neal... since he has 2 years and 500 minutes of NBA experience?

Why did Neal go to Europe instead of playing for an NBA team?

I said Hairstons been given a chance... You always twist around everything we're talking about :lol In every damn argument we are in.

Neal would have been a guaranteed first round pick if it wasn't for his run in with the law. Than he had to go overseas.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Ian has a better chance of making something out of himself in the NBA than Hairston does. That's the truth. Hairston has always been overrated on a board that flocks to any sort of athleticism (Ian,Pops,Hairston,White)

I like Hairston just like most people but just like I said at the end of last season I would rather have Gee.

So we all have opinions while you speak the truth.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
It was probably between Gee and Hairston. not Neal and Hairston.

DesignatedT
So we all have opinions while you speak the truth.

same goes for you and everyone else on this board....

Bruno
I can't say I'm surprised to see Spurs giving up on Hairston. He failed to have some kind of impact when he got playing time with Spurs last year. It looked like the NBA was a step too high for him. Spurs going hard after Temple and Gee also wasn't a good sign for him.

And big props to Spurs for being classy and being honest with Hairston. They could have let him hope but they have been honest to help Hairston's career.

Now, I'm curious to see what Spurs will do with Gee. Do Spurs like him or will they sign a vet SF?

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Neal would have been a guaranteed first round pick if it wasn't for his run in with the law. Than he had to go overseas.

Neal was projected to be a late second round pick or to go undrafted. When you have to back up stupid opinions with artificial facts it weakens your position.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I said Hairstons been given a chance... You always twist around everything we're talking about :lol In every damn argument we are in.

Wow again with the logic. So no other players have had run in's w the law? They all had to go overseas for several years?

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Hairston went under that screen and Nash hit the three pointer. He had to go.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM

I'm not twisting anything, I'm calling you out on your bullshit.
500 minutes in 2 years amount to little over 3 minutes per game.
Do you call that giving somebody a chance?

In two seasons Malik played more for the Toros than the Spurs. True or False?

He was found not guilty. If he had the talent, there was nothing preventing him from joining the league.

I'm just wondering how long it's going to take until you change your tune to "Neal was given a chance, and obviously he's not an NBA player" after he gets 3 min stints, is waived or is shipped to the Toros.

You know it's coming.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM
same goes for you and everyone else on this board....

:lol no. Link to me telling people they have opinons while I speak in facts? I can link your comments.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Neal was projected to be a late second round pick or to go undrafted. When you have to back up stupid opinions with artificial facts it weakens your position.

Not what I saw.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
:lol no. Link to me telling people they have opinons while I speak in facts? I can link your comments.

:lol c'mon. I know I have a separate opinion just like everyone else on this board. Why are you trying to take this personnel when were talking about basketball. Somebody has to take the other side in these arguments or how boring would that be.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm not twisting anything, I'm calling you out on your bullshit.
500 minutes in 2 years amount to little over 3 minutes per game.
Do you call that giving somebody a chance?

In two seasons Malik played more for the Toros than the Spurs. True or False?

He was found not guilty. If he had the talent, there was nothing preventing him from joining the league.

I'm just wondering how long it's going to take until you change your tune to "Neal was given a chance, and obviously he's not an NBA player" after he gets 3 min stints, is waived or is shipped to the Toros.

You know it's coming.

It's not bullshit. I seem to trust an NBA front office more than some guys on a message board. That's all my arguments come from. I think they know what they are doing and I think they know that if Malik was some great defender (because that's all he supposedly had going for him) they wouldn't let him go to europe. The coaching staff sees these guys play every day.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
It really is retarded how some people have the need to either completely dog on the player that's leaving or completely overrating the remaining scrubs in order to suck some FO cock.

Maybe Malik wasn't ready for the NBA. Maybe this Euro tour is the best thing for him. good luck to him. Just stop justifying this thing by aggrandizing other scrubs that have yet to play a minute of NBA action.

elemento
07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't think Gee is ready.

Chicago wants to trade James Johnson. Do it RC.

Chieflion
07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't think Gee is ready.

Chicago wants to trade James Johnson. Do it RC.

I think James Johnson sucks.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
It's not bullshit. I seem to trust an NBA front office more than some guys on a message board. That's all my arguments come from. I think they know what they are doing and I think they know that if Malik was some great defender (because that's all he supposedly had going for him) they wouldn't let him go to europe. The coaching staff sees these guys play every day.

Tell me, did they miss watching Bogans or RMJ every day?

I understand that sometimes they gamble, and it either pays off or not. That's fine. You don't need to dog on players or over hype them to justify those gambles.

5in10
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Now wth do we do about backing RJ up? Its seems like Gee brings the exact same game that RJ does. Ugh I wish we had signed butler as a backup.

silverblackfan
07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Does this mean that Gist is an option for training camp? He also has been following the Spurs advice and playing in Europe. Bigger than Malik and possibly could play SF.
I think Gee made Malik's position too tenable, and he went to Europe to improve his game and get some money. Being in a rich young man in Italy would not suck.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
It really is retarded how some people have the need to either completely dog on the player that's leaving or completely overrating the remaining scrubs in order to suck some FO cock.

Maybe Malik wasn't ready for the NBA. Maybe this Euro tour is the best thing for him. good luck to him. Just stop justifying this thing by aggrandizing other scrubs that have yet to play a minute of NBA action.

It really is retarded how you could take this message board so seriously when were all here to share our opinions on spurs basketball. Agree with it disagree with it, whatever, but stop bitching that people have a different opinion than you.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:05 AM

Tell me, did they miss watching Bogans or RMJ every day?

I understand that sometimes they gamble, and it either pays off or not. That's fine. You don't need to dog on players or over hype them to justify those gambles.

How am I overhyping? By saying I believe that Neal can be a better player than Hairston? Okay I might be wrong but that's what I think. Stop acting like there are right and wrong answers in this because there arent.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Not what I saw.

Yeah, obviously you didn't see it or you wouldn't have made up that bullshit about him being a guaranteed first round pick.

Solid D
lol @ temple at SF

There are basically 3 Spurs that can play or defend the 1, 2 and 3 positions, depending on matchups. Ginobili, Hill and Temple.

It's not really an outlandish thought from the Spurs' standpoint. It's a matter of watching what goes on, real-world, in games.

Bruno
And for people wondering, there is no way Hairston is going to Italy because he picked it over playing for Spurs. He will play at a worse level and will ahve a lower salary.

Spurs likely told him that he had great chances of being cut at the end of the training camp and that they would release him if he finds a good team in Europe.

ElNono
It really is retarded how you could take this message board so seriously when were all here to share our opinions on spurs basketball. Agree with it disagree with it, whatever, but stop bitching that people have a different opinion than you.

lol @ seriously

I have no problem with differing opinions. However, when you're into spewing bullshit, be prepared to be called out for it. You don't have to like it either.
It happens all the time in here.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah, obviously you didn't see it or you wouldn't have made up that bullshit about him being a guaranteed first round pick.

You have a link that shows him projected to go undrafted?

Obstructed_View
How am I overhyping? By saying I believe that Neal can be a better player than Hairston? Okay I might be wrong but that's what I think. Stop acting like there are right and wrong answers in this because there arent.

The right answer is that Neal wasn't a guaranteed first round pick before his legal troubles, which were all behind him on draft day. When you make up a lie like that it's called "overhyping".

DesignatedT
lol @ seriously

I have no problem with differing opinions. However, when you're into spewing bullshit, be prepared to be called out for it. You don't have to like it either.
It happens all the time in here.

what bullshit?

ElNono
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Neal 1st round prospect. Really? Over-hype much?

Chomag
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
LOL @ Neal having yet to take an NBA 3. Well I hope the FO made the right cal here.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
The right answer is that Neal wasn't a guaranteed first round pick before his legal troubles, which were all behind him on draft day. When you make up a lie like that it's called "overhyping".

What I meant was he was considered a first round draft pick until he had to switch to a smaller school which ultimately hurt his draft stock and people questioned his character after the whole ordeal which also hurt his draft stock. I have read this many places.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Do we even know it came down to Neal/Hairston. IMO it seems the FO knew Hairston was on his way out way before Neal came into his own in summer league.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
I gotta go to class. You assholes kept me from studying for my test this morning. Be back in a couple hours.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
And for people wondering, there is no way Hairston is going to Italy because he picked it over playing for Spurs. He will play at a worse level and will ahve a lower salary.

Spurs likely told him that he had great chances of being cut at the end of the training camp and that they would release him if he finds a good team in Europe.

Hairston has 2 seasons and 500 minutes of NBA experience.

That has to count for something, right?

Obstructed_View
You have a link that shows him projected to go undrafted?

Sure. Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Neal

Neal was eligible in the 2007 NBA Draft in June and was projected to be on the bubble to get drafted. Neal went undrafted.

Do you have a link that shows him as a guaranteed first round pick? Again, since his trial was over before the draft, I'm guessing that such a link doesn't exist. His draft position was set all along. If he'd actually had first round talent, I'm unsure how he ended up in Turkey.

ElNono
I gotta go to class. You assholes kept me from studying for my test this morning. Be back in a couple hours.

Who's taking this forum seriously now? :rollin

Bruno
07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Hairston has 2 seasons and 500 minutes of NBA experience.

That has to count for something, right?

I don't get what you want to say.

bigdog
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Good to see him get an opportunity overseas. Honestly, I don't think he was near ready enough to play an important role on the Spurs, or any other NBA team. Spurs will now have to hill the backup SF spot. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Agreed. The Spurs have done this before.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't get what you want to say.

Somebody here was saying Hairston had more NBA experience than Neil. To the tune of 2 seasons and 500 minutes under his belt.

Being that Neil was somewhat of an above average/great player in Europe, and that Hairston has more NBA experience, you don't think he deserves a pretty good contract in Europe? At least more than the NBA min?

Mhak
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Finally this scrub is out of here!!! Tire of people saying he is good enough to play in the NBA..

Good luck to him!!!

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Who's taking this forum seriously now? :rollin

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Defense is still Pop's focal point and it's always been that way..

I'm not sure what Spurs team you've been watching the past couple of years. It may have been that way in the Duncan/Bowen prime years and maybe even up thru 2007, but it aint that way now.

Cane
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Hairston looked lost and nearly useless on the court, there really wasn't anything he showed he could do in his limited minutes other than dunk so him being cut means little to me, much like Ian. Both of these guys were seriously outplayed by rookies whether it was Blair or Temple (yea Temple's a guard but his defense looked better as did his shooting compared to Malik's game). And again like Ian, Malik suffered an injury or two as well which just isn't good for a fringe prospect type of player especially if you're already hardly playing. IIRC, people even called out Malik being traded or cut when it was announced that the Spurs staff saw enough of Hairston or something like that and thats why he didn't go to SL :toast

Spurs really need some depth at the 3 though unless they plan on using Anderson as the primary SF backup which doesn't seem like their style.

Bruno
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Somebody here was saying Hairston had more NBA experience than Neil. To the tune of 2 seasons and 500 minutes under his belt.

Being that Neil was somewhat of an above average/great player in Europe, and that Hairston has more NBA experience, you don't think he deserves a pretty good contract in Europe? At least more than the NBA min?

Neal was a proven player in Europe that's why he got big contracts there. Hairston is an Euro rookie and some NBA minutes won't significantly raise his value. The Euro market is also hurt by the economical crisis.

IMO, Hairston contract in Europe should be around $300K per year.

gilmor
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Hairston doesn't go play in Italy if he truly was the type of player than some of you wish he was. You see a hole in the roster and you desparately want it filled, but wishing it so and making it so are not the same things.

Is that stage 3 of this year TdF in ur avarta?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Hmm... I wonder what spurstilltheend has to say about this

ElNono
07-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Neal was a proven player in Europe that's why he got big contracts there. Hairston is an Euro rookie and some NBA minutes won't significantly raise his value. The Euro market is also hurt by the economical crisis.

IMO, Hairston contract in Europe should be around $300K per year.

Thanks.

dbestpro
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Hairston was just not good enough. I had been saying for a while that we would not make the team this year while others thought he might start at the SF. I find his departure refreshing as it is another step away from small ball. Using SG size players at SF is part of the problem.

I do not think they will ride Gee and Anderson at the backup SF and feel that something may be in the works maybe for Nachbar. Gee as others have indicated has D-league eligibility and that is where he will play.

5in10
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
So did Anderson just become back up SF, or will Gee get the minutes?

TD 21
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, it looks like all of you who wanted an established, true SF, are about to get your wish. Unfortunately, there's slim pickings available in free agency, which means...

The return of the Centerpiece. Sure, he's not a true SF and he's not athletic, but he'll come cheap and he has a year in the system. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him back despite this news, but I'd say he's probably the odds on favorite to fill this role.

Hayes, Hassell and George are other options. Can't see the Spurs signing the latter two, so if it's not Bogans, Hayes is probably the guy. I'd have preferred Hairston over all of these options.

Ditty
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
would we still own his rights? maybe its just a one year thing to improve espically his shot hes not ilegable for austin, spurs just dont want too lose him and know there stacked at sg

ceperez
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Hairston looked lost and nearly useless on the court, there really wasn't anything he showed he could do in his limited minutes other than dunk so him being cut means little to me, much like Ian. Both of these guys were seriously outplayed by rookies whether it was Blair or Temple (yea Temple's a guard but his defense looked better as did his shooting compared to Malik's game).

Agree, Blair and Temple have played with so much more poise.

Likely boils down to that, if you look lost when you get on the court, you shouldn't be playing on this team. Some players automatically get this, others simply don't no matter how much time they hang out in the d-league or NBA.

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Defense is far from Pop's focal point, which is evident from his excessive small ball lineups when the Spurs clearly don't have the personnel to use it, and his over-usage of guys like Finley and Mason over the last 2 seasons..

The fact that he has used Udoka and Bogans as defensive stoppers the last few years, failing to realize that the league has gotten more athletic(which is needed, especially with the lack of handchecking), also speaks on his loss of defensive recognition IMO..

I'm not a Pop hater, never have been, but I can't see how somebody would say he's still focused on defense..

There it is, right there.

This is not an indictment of Pop. Facts are just facts.

Pop introduced the Spurs version of "small ball" to the world during that epic 2006 WCSF versus the Mavs. I guess coming back from a 3-1 deficit to tie the series really convinced Pop that he "small ball" really works. Those lineups, many of which featured Finley at the 4, were ones that Pop continued to tinker and experiment with. As HH has already stated, in the years that followed, Pop began to parade a succession of "smallish" wing players onto the court to surround Duncan. All the while, sacrificing the Spurs ability to defend and rebound the basketball, and placing an even greater burden on Duncan. Unfortunately, the trend has not stopped.

Is it any wonder why the Spurs have been a declining defensive team? The absence of good defensive players on this roster has been just as detrimental, as has been the retirement of Bowen and the decline of Duncan. Pop has done nothing to offset that decline. Pop talks a good game regarding defense, but it's just lip service. He no longer seems to have or want the players required to focus in that area. Instead, he continues to field smaller, offensive-minded, perimeter players, who are overmatched versus their opponents on the defensive end.

As for the frontline, despite Pop's staunch faith and support for the winner of the Robert Horry American Idol experiment, that is Matt Bonner, it has been a colossal postseason failure. Then what does Pop do? He rewards and retains Bonner and simulateneously sacrifices an athletic big man, with decent defensive skills, like Ian Mahinmi.. A move that does nothing to help Duncan.

Meanwhile, the NBA has gone the other way. Most teams in the NBA have multiple players, within their rotations, that are extremely long and athletic. While they may not defend or devote the attention to defense that the Spurs used to, they are terrors on the offensive end and cause matchup nightmares for the Spurs. (See Thunder, Fakers, Blazers, etc)

Now with them jettisoning Hairston, easily one of the team's better defenders, this is just another clear indication that Pop values offense over defense.

jag
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Hmm...I figured the Spurs favored him over Gee. Guess not

gospursgojas
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Signing Tmac seems more and more intriguing.

IDK if I wanna D Leaguer as our back up SF

benefactor
07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm all for the youth movement, but having four greenhorn wings...two with a combined 38 games of NBA experience and two with none...to help carry the load behind the 40 million dollar man is a pretty shortsighted approach.

If this team is really serious bout extending the Duncan era(40 million buck says supposedly they are) should be looking for a vet with at least some experience to help on the perimeter. If they don't we will likely see more overplaying of Manu and Hill in more matchups that set him up to fail.

SenorSpur
07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Nothing against Neal, if Malik wasn't going to cut it, I just wish the Spurs could've targeted a player with shooting skill, length and defensive ability.

Libri
07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
IMO, I thought Hairston had done a pretty good job. For the most part he looked comfortable out there, to the point of directing his teammates to the right places. He had energy, wasn't afraid to take it to the basket and played some good defense. I'm guessing Malik didn't progress enough offensively to Pop's liking.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I totally called this. I wish I could remember what thread it was . . . I gotta stop smoking so much pot.

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
As I said, hairston was literally number one in the entire nba in isolation defense this past season, so I don't really know how people are saying that certain guys on the team have shown that they are better defensively in comparison to him..he did pretty much as well as he possibly could defensively for the pt he received..

He hasn't shown anything from an o standpoint, but he certainly has defensively and on the boards, which isn't arguable, unless you're trying to argue against numbers that are acts..

My problem isn't cutting hairston in general, its cutting him for an o minded rapist, or a past his prime veteran like bogans or whoever else is left..

lowdown
07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
The signing of Gary Neal was the death knell for Hairston like some have said. The Spurs definitely need a true sf who can defend - someone with some length. Pop allows this team to struggle with his insistence on going small or playing Matt Bonner for too many minutes at a time. Now he's slowing turning the Spurs into a softer team unless they go out and get a true perimeter defender at the wing position.

TD 21
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm all for the youth movement, but having four greenhorn wings...two with a combined 38 games of NBA experience and two with none...to help carry the load behind the 40 million dollar man is a pretty shortsighted approach.

If this team is really serious bout extending the Duncan era(40 million buck says supposedly they are) should be looking for a vet with at least some experience to help on the perimeter. If they don't we will likely see more overplaying of Manu and Hill in more matchups that set him up to fail.

I agree. As much as I was okay with going with the youth at least until close to or at the trade deadline (in large part due to the options, or lack thereof, available), ultimately if they're serious about winning a championship, it's difficult to imagine it happening with a cadre of backup wings who are as inexperienced as the ones they have are.

Adding a competent, 3 AND D veteran makes sense. Unfortunately, there isn't one available in free agency. The best they could do is probably Bogans and Hayes and neither is anywhere near good enough.

This spot is going to be difficult to fill. This team is good enough that they could get by with a Bogans or a Hayes throughout most of the regular season and still win 50+, but when it comes time to establish a playoff rotation, I can't see a team winning a championship with either of those players in it. They need someone better. Anderson and Neal are both rookies (Neal is in the NBA) and neither is a noted defender.

They need someone ahead of them who's experienced, hopefully of ideal SF size and can shoot and defend above average and they need to acquire said player without giving up a single key veteran, which would limit them to lesser salary players and that only makes finding the proper fit more difficult. Value wise, they could throw in a 1st round pick, depending on how desperate they are and the quality of the player, but it's going to make it difficult to match salaries without giving up a veteran.

lurker23
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
As has been pointed out a couple times in this thread (lightly scattered amongst the bickering), there are two major things this could mean for the Spurs roster:

1. The Spurs are going to sign another SF.

2. Backup SF minutes will go to Anderson and/or Gee.

If I had to venture a guess, it would be that most of the minutes would go to Anderson, with some also going to having 3 of Tony/Hill/Manu/Temple/Neal on the court at the same time. This would also mean that Gee gets sent to the D-League.

When Anderson was drafted, I felt he was much more of a SG than a SF, but given the current rotation of Spurs 2/3s, he's looking bigger all the time.

I think Gee will have a chance to win some minutes, but given what the Spurs typically want a SF to do, I think he'll have to go back to the D-League and work a little more on defense and, especially, 3-point shooting.

TD 21
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
My problem isn't cutting hairston in general, its cutting him for an o minded rapist, or a past his prime veteran like bogans or whoever else is left..

I don't get the sense that the Spurs didn't want Hairston, I think he just got an offer that he couldn't refuse. Probably far more lucrative than what he was going to make with the Spurs and guaranteed playing time, which he wasn't going to get with the Spurs. I think he'd have been on the fringe of the rotation and played at least semi-consistently, but that wasn't a guarantee.

lurker23, I can't see the Spurs not signing a veteran SF at this point. They were already somewhat thin (in terms of true SF's) and largely unproven at that position, so with one of the two main backup SF options gone, it's a no brainer that they bring in someone else. Looking at the players available, my guess is it's going to be Bogans or Hayes.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I thought everybody was so gung-ho about letting RJ go and letting the young guys take over? Now, all of a sudden, we are too young, inexperienced and shallow at the SF? Do you guys feel a little silly? I don't.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

lowdown
07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
They need to trade for James Posey (though his contract does kinda suck) or someone like him 'cause there's no free agent out there that can address what the Spurs need. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/11/1229054231_8417/539w.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/12/12/hes_still_a_good_fit/&usg=__U8etMkvAZPjbaEC9CFQXPNNOvLM=&h=466&w=539&sz=38&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=rXaY6cn7rFVRMM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=152&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bposey%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DN%26biw%3D1919%26bih%3D965%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C6&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=650&ei=ErxRTO60IpTksQORhOmQAQ&page=1&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:28,s:0&biw=1919&bih=965

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd like to hear the story behind all of this.

Trill Clinton
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
From what I understand the true reason Hairston didn't play in SL was due to him having real bad back spasms. Apparently they're so bad that the Spurs don't want to take on any risk so they stashed him overseas, similar with how they put Gist in the Russian league. He'll probably play there and come back after the season.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
The signing of Gary Neal was the death knell for Hairston like some have said.

It happened way before that. He got benched in the playoffs last year for Bogans/Mason and, depending on how you interpret Pop and RC, the Spurs seemed to be higher on Gee this summer. I said a while back there was no way the Spurs would keep both Gee and Hairston and that turned out to be true. I think the Spurs have been pretty sure about Hairston for a while now and that's why they signed Gee. I'm not sure why they waited this long . . . maybe they wanted to make sure he got another job, maybe they have another deal in the works, but the writing has been on the wall for Hairston for a good amount of time. This wasn't a snap decision and it doesn't have much, if anything, to do with Neal.

J_Paco
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
It's really frustrating to see the Spurs wasting roster spots, money and time on players - that may have some NBA potential - just to let them walk with no compensation. I really thought that Hairston showed the skills to be a Ronnie Brewer/Tony Allen-type defender for the Spurs. Obviously, Hairston's lack of an established or quality offensive skillset caused the Spurs to acquire both Anderson and Neal. But, now they've pigeonholed themselves because they have not one perimeter player that specializes in defense. I'm hopeful that neither Anderson or Neal flame-out or underwhelm this up-coming season, or people really need to begin questioning the front-office and their approach.

As for people claiming that Hairston's defense is overrated, well I point to his locking down of Kevin Martin during that comeback loss in March. Martin was torching whomever was guarding him until Hairston came in and harassed into a few turnovers and giving up the ball.

benefactor
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought everybody was so gung-ho about letting RJ go and letting the young guys take over? Now, all of a sudden, we are too young, inexperienced and shallow at the SF? Do you guys feel a little silly? I don't.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.
RJ thread!

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
RJ thread!

I don't want to go back in there anymore.

benefactor
07-29-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't want to go back in there anymore.
Me either...so let's agree we won't start it up again. We all have our positions and obviously no one is budging.

jiggy_55
07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Very surprised to say the least..

But then again, I think they like Gee much more as an overall player.. I'd have to agree as I think Gee is a more talented from what I've seen of them both

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Me either...so let's agree we won't start it up again. We all have our positions and obviously no one is budging.

My mistake. I thought I saw you budge a little.

benefactor
07-29-2010, 12:59 PM
My cleats are firm in the grass, sir.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Fair enough.

lowdown
07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
ohmwrecker, we don't truly know what the front office thinks but I was more referring to what move Malik (or his agent) would make once the Spurs signed Neal for 3 years as oppose to Malik's non-guaranteed contract. The Spurs are experimenting with the wings they will keep long term - that's why they invest in the Toros. What I don't believe is Gee being a simple replacement for Malik unless you mean he'll be another project who doesn't get any real playing time in the Association. The choice between Malik & Gee would of been sorted out in training camp/pre-season. Malik had to figure why risk being cut by a team that just gave guaranteed $ to Neal so he had to check all options.

TD 21
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Very surprised to say the least..

But then again, I think they like Gee much more as an overall player.. I'd have to agree as I think Gee is a more talented from what I've seen of them both

Gee probably is more talented, but Hairston was a better fit for what the Spurs need.

Watch them re-sign Bogans. It'll be the same reasoning as when they re-signed Finley to a two year deal in '08 despite him coming off of an underwhelming season and looking perilously close to being done: they were comfortable with him, he knew the system and the options available to fill that role weren't appealing.

If they re-sign him, how can they honestly claim to be younger and more athletic (which Pop said they needed to become even moreso after the season ended)? Splitter and Anderson are more athletic than what they had, but that says more about the players they're replacing than their own athleticism. Neal isn't athletic at all. It's one thing to be undersized on the wings, but undersized and deficient athletically? These are the same two problems they've had for years.

benefactor
07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Watch them re-sign Bogans. It'll be the same reasoning as when they re-signed Finley to a two year deal in '08 despite him coming off of an underwhelming season and looking perilously close to being done: they were comfortable with him, he knew the system and the options available to fill that role weren't appealing.

If that happens...well...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__voT-X5EIis/R1I6xFjrKNI/AAAAAAAAAAw/4ZLeyuBp4d8/s400/Baby%2Bseal.jpg

sandman
07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Is that stage 3 of this year TdF in ur avarta?

No, it was a domestic race here in the States. That Stage 3 crash was tame compared to this carnage.

flasah
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
They need to trade for James Posey (though his contract does kinda suck) or someone like him 'cause there's no free agent out there that can address what the Spurs need. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/11/1229054231_8417/539w.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/12/12/hes_still_a_good_fit/&usg=__U8etMkvAZPjbaEC9CFQXPNNOvLM=&h=466&w=539&sz=38&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=rXaY6cn7rFVRMM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=152&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bposey%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DN%26biw%3D1919%26bih%3D965%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C6&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=650&ei=ErxRTO60IpTksQORhOmQAQ&page=1&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:28,s:0&biw=1919&bih=965

All that's left out there are 30-somethings like Hughes, Stackhouse, Devin Brown, McGrady, Jeffries, Tim Thomas, Wilkens & Devean George. So yeah, it'll have to be a trade, a rookie, or an overseas player.

beachwood
07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I guess the Spurs are pretty high on Gee. They will likely sign a vet SF now.

I kinda hope so. I'll put all my chips in on this guy. Go for broke.

lurker23
07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
lurker23, I can't see the Spurs not signing a veteran SF at this point. They were already somewhat thin (in terms of true SF's) and largely unproven at that position, so with one of the two main backup SF options gone, it's a no brainer that they bring in someone else. Looking at the players available, my guess is it's going to be Bogans or Hayes.

I think it really depends on their opinion of Anderson. The Spurs put a lot of stock on individual workouts for draft picks, so they have a lot more data than we do. If they're happy with his defense, then I could see them staying pat. But I agree, based solely on what we've seen from Spurs moves in the past, a veteran SF signing seems most likely.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
i'm still waiting for tothrowed to hear about the news.

elemento
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
The Centerpiece coming back soon sons !! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

diego
07-29-2010, 01:53 PM
after the PO and this, anybody still happy about the dragic/malik trade? :stirpot:

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 02:02 PM
after the PO and this, anybody still happy about the dragic/malik trade? :stirpot:

Uh, didn't the Spurs pick DeJuan Blair with the second rounder they got from Phoenix?

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM

got blair out of that deal. i'm fine with it.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM

That wasn't really a "trade". The Spurs picked Dragic for the Suns. It was a pre-arranged deal. It would've been pretty shitty of the Spurs to back out. Funny, but shitty, nonetheless.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Uh, didn't the Spurs pick DeJuan Blair with the second rounder they got from Phoenix?

Also true, but that was a stroke of luck.

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Still counts. Besides, even if the Spurs had drafted Dragic for themselves they'd likely have just draft-and-stashed him since they already had Parker/Hill at PG.

Obstructed_View
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM

So what? The question is "is anyone happy with the Dragic/Hairston trade". Say you aren't. I dare you. The Spurs weren't going to pick Dragic for themselves anymore than they picked Barbosa or Salmons for themselves.

ElNono
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Is Dragic that kid that bukkaked all over us in that playoff game last season?

MannyIsGod
07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure why people are thinking the Spurs are going out to get a SF now. With the luxury tax situation I really doubt they add anyone.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure why people are thinking the Spurs are going out to get a SF now. With the luxury tax situation I really doubt they add anyone.Probably true. Unless some free agent really impresses in camp and takes Gee or Temple's spot, this could be it until the trading season begins.

ElNono
I'm not sure why people are thinking the Spurs are going out to get a SF now. With the luxury tax situation I really doubt they add anyone.

+1

We're cutting Jerrels and the end of camp and call it a day.

coyotes_geek

Agreed. The Spurs will probably carry a 13 man roster and pick up a couple of guys near the end of the regular season. Maybe they'll luck out and be able to land a buyout guy after the trading deadline.

TD 21
I think it really depends on their opinion of Anderson. The Spurs put a lot of stock on individual workouts for draft picks, so they have a lot more data than we do. If they're happy with his defense, then I could see them staying pat. But I agree, based solely on what we've seen from Spurs moves in the past, a veteran SF signing seems most likely.

I don't even think it depends on their opinion of Anderson. There's no way they can honestly view a rookie, who doesn't possess outstanding physical tools and is known as a mediocre defender, as a player who can guard top opposition wings.

Another name I'll throw into the mix is Alan Anderson.

Vic Petro
07-29-2010, 02:17 PM
To be a role player on a good team, you need to have a singular skill that you can hang your hat on. Hairston didn't have one. Pretty good at most things but not great at anything. He needs minutes to improve and he wasn't going to get them on the Spurs, who can't afford to wait and see if he can be a regular contributor. At least with Gee, we know that no matter what he can get to the rim. With Neal we know he can score. With Hairston, maybe one night he'd rebound well. The next night he'd shoot well. The third night he'd D his man up well. But with reserves, the coaching staff needs to know exactly what they are going to get.