PDA

View Full Version : 50 Greatest Movie Monologues

CubanSucks
07-29-2010, 05:23 AM
http://www.film.com/features/story/the-50-greatest-movie-monologues/27983372

There were some misquotes in the key lines/moments but a good list. :wakeup Discuss, damnit

admiralsnackbar
07-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Good list, but seems to honor vanilla mainstream movies over other sorts of equally successful types of film IMO.

James Earl Jones telling Conan to consider the riddle of steel on the tree of woe.

Kurt Russell was one long monologue of John Wayne parody in "Big Trouble in Little China."

Ewan McGregor narrating in Trainspotting.

Corey Feldman with the only worthwhile performance of his career delivered at the bottom of a well.

David Carradine talking about Superman at the end of Kill Bill 2.

Donald Pleasance talking about a creepy little bastard he treated but must now kill in "Halloween."

And this one's kind of obscure, but David Thewlis spewed forth what should have been undeliverable lines in "Naked."

That's all I got right now.

midnightpulp
07-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Good list, but seems to honor vanilla mainstream movies over other sorts of equally successful types of film IMO.

James Earl Jones telling Conan to consider the riddle of steel on the tree of woe.

Kurt Russell was one long monologue of John Wayne parody in "Big Trouble in Little China."

Corey Feldman with the only worthwhile performance of his career delivered at the bottom of a well.

David Carradine talking about Superman at the end of Kill Bill 2.

Donald Pleasance talking about a creepy little bastard he treated but must now kill in "Halloween."

And this one's kind of obscure, but David Thewlis spewed forth what should have been undeliverable lines in "Naked."

That's all I got right now.

A monologue from Naked definitely should've been included somewhere.

As well as Orson Welles's monologue from the scene on the ferris wheel in "The Third Man."

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
I know the guy was trying to not overload it with Pacino but "the bad guy" speech from Scarface should have a place on there. I'm in line with his philosophy that yes, Pacino grandstands and overacts but what shines through is that he's having fun and in the end the audience has some too.

There's a definite lack of comedy on the list. I would love to see Steve Martin's monologue near the end of "My Blue Heaven" on there.
B9t2R9m7jqE

Veterinarian
07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
I know the guy was trying to not overload it with Pacino but "the bad guy" speech from Scarface should have a place on there.

:tu

zNiiHVYnQ6A

Destro
07-29-2010, 09:59 AM
opening to Full Metal Jacket should be on the list

clambake
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
"how were you able to cook your grits in 5 minutes, when it takes the entire grit eating world 20 minutes?"

Cry Havoc
07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I was just looking this up myself yesterday. Weird.

baseline bum
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
UqDtf1aw818

Fpoonsie
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I was just about to point out the gross injustice of a lack of Ed Norton's 25th Hour speech in the mirror, but looks like they give it a (somewhat laughable) "honorable mention" at the bottom.

5Za2k5wA3sk

JMarkJohns
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
You can't have a top-50 list of film monologues and only award honorable mention to Norton and the 25th Hour. That scene is insane, it's intensity never wavers, despite it being 5 minutes long.

Almost no comedies. Groucho Marx has about a dozen that could easily make this list, and I can think of three from Animal Crackers that could be in the top-20.

Darrin
07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I can do some of this from memory. Scent of a Woman, The American President, A Few Good Men, Good Will Hunting, Braveheart, A League of their Own, The Devil's Advocate (BTW, Al Pacino has multiple nominations), Shawshank Redemption, etc.

I love monologues, BTW. Some of my favorite time is spent reciting these lines. :)

mrsmaalox
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
8EjNa8Ukg_0&feature=related

koriwhat
07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
"try not to suck any dick on the way out of the parking lot!"

stretch
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM

baseline bum
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

:lol

37? At the same time?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
5Za2k5wA3sk

Wow that was really good

mrsmaalox
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
You can't have a top-50 list of film monologues and only award honorable mention to Norton and the 25th Hour. That scene is insane, it's intensity never wavers, despite it being 5 minutes long.

Almost no comedies. Groucho Marx has about a dozen that could easily make this list, and I can think of three from Animal Crackers that could be in the top-20.

Yes as far as the comedies go, don't most of Woody Allen's movies contain at least one neurotic monologue?

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
How could Patton not make the top 50?

CRPZvwTRh9g

SourCandy
07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
1:40
DVUkAKqCQIM

your whole way of life is bull shit!

Veterinarian
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Coffee's for closers tbh.

koriwhat
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM

37? At the same time?

:tu

JMarkJohns
07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes as far as the comedies go, don't most of Woody Allen's movies contain at least one neurotic monologue?

Yep... One reason I liked Groucho's so much is most were completely impromptu.

CubanSucks
07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
How could Patton not make the top 50?

CRPZvwTRh9g

It's #3

CubanSucks
07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

He said he wanted to keep narrations off the list just cause he had too many to begin with. I LOVE that scene though.

skip to 3:40
jGTQQGpo9yI

I know a lot of people would think of the dialogue from the very first scene, but the better music and the fact that he cleans up gives the edge to the ending IMO

DisAsTerBot
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
-Qz74cEN5aw

Frenzy
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
1:40
DVUkAKqCQIM

your whole way of life is bull shit!

You gonna hide behind your chicken shit home boys..

Haha dam.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
rrrreally?!???????

A1Y80ue92Ao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Y80ue92Ao

benefactor
07-30-2010, 07:22 AM
IOtVg05JLPc

Drachen
07-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I have an entry

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:M8Es02l8R4Aw7M:http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/be_cool14.jpg

You guys have to go to nationals!

What is this, hush money?
We don't need you.

Why are you so mean?

I'm just trying to be strong
for my squad.

And I'm trying to make it right.

You wanna make it right?

Then when you go to nationals...

...bring it!

I'll bring it!
Don't worry.

I never do.

Sportcamper
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Remember that movie where that guy really likes that girl & he is always nice to her but she could care less, then towards the end he says something mean to her & she realizes that he was the right guy after all….That was a great movie….

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-30-2010, 09:17 AM

37? At the same time?

In a row?

And what the fuck is Rudy doing in the top 20?

Drachen
07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Remember that movie where that guy really likes that girl & he is always nice to her but she could care less, then towards the end he says something mean to her & she realizes that he was the right guy after all….That was a great movie….

Oh I remember that movie, it was called "116 of the movies that were made in the 80s then remade in the late 90s-2000s"

Oh, Gee!!
07-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Coffee's for closers tbh.

Alec Baldwin: Let me have your attention for a moment. 'Cause you're talkin' about what...you're talkin' 'bout...bitchin' about that sale you shot, some son of a bitch don't want to buy land, somebody don't want what you're selling, some broad you're trying to screw, so forth, let's talk about something important. Are they all here?

Kevin Spacey: All but one.

Baldwin: Well, I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important. (sees Lemmon pouring coffee). Put that coffee down. Coffee's for closer's only. You think I'm fuckin' with you? I am not funkin' with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitch and Murray. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Levine?

Jack Lemmon: Yeah.

Baldwin: You call yourself a salesman, you son of a bitch.

Ed Harris: I don't gotta listen to this shit.

Baldwin: You certainly don't pal 'cause the good news is you're fired. The bad news is you got all you got, just one week to regain your job, starting with tonight, starting with tonight's sits. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month's sale contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is your fired. You get the picture? You laughing now? You got leads. Mitch and Murray paid good money. Get their names to sell them. You can't close the leads you're given, you can't close shit, you are shit, hit the bricks pal and beat it 'cause you are going out.

Lemmon: The leads are weak.

Baldwin: The leads are weak. The fuckin' leads are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business 15 years ...

Harris: What's your name?

Baldwin: Fuck you, that's my name. You know why mister? Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an 80,000 dollar BMW. That's my name. (To Lemmon) And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't close them? Then go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life. Get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you fuckin' faggots.
(Flips the blackboard)

ABC. A, Always, B, Be, C, Closing. Always be closing. Always be closing. AIDA. Attention. Interest. Decision. Action. Attention. Do I have your attention? Interest. Are you interested? I know you are 'cause it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision. Have you made your decision for Christ? And action. AIDA. Get out there. You got the prospects coming in, you think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you going to take it? Are you man enough to take it? (To Harris) What's the problem, pal?

Harris: You, boss, you're such a hero, you're so rich, how come you're coming down here and wasting your time with such a bunch of bums?

Baldwin: You see this watch? You see this watch?

Harris: Yeah.

Baldwin: That watch costs more than your car. I made 970,000 dollars last year, how much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father. Fuck you, go home and play with your kids. You want to work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cock-sucker. You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit. If you don't like it, leave. I can go out there tonight, the materials you got, make myself 15,000 dollars. Tonight. In two hours. Can you? Can you?

Go and do likewise. AIDA. Get mad you son-of-a-bitch. Get mad. You know what it takes to sell real-estate? It takes brass balls to sell real estate. Go and do likewise, gents. The money's out there, you pick it up, it's yours, you don't, I got no sympathy for you. You want to go out on those sits tonight and close, close, it's yours, if not, you're going to be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying. Bunch of losers sitting around in a bar: ''Oh yeah, I used to be a salesman. It's a tough racket.''

These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers. I'd wish you good luck, but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (To Harris) And to answer your question, pal: Why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said the real favor, follow my advice and fire your fuckin' ass because a loser is a loser.

CuckingFunt
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Tremendous amounts of fail on this list.

Leaving off the Trainspotting and 25th Hour monologues is dumb, but if you want to eliminate voice over/narration... fine, I get it. I can't imagine why these two didn't make the cut, though:

s376ZbPG-OM

b8pAaT4unZc

Jacob1983
07-30-2010, 09:22 PM
What about the last 10 to 15 minutes of Seven? The part where Brad Pitt says "what's in the box" to John Doe(Kevin Spacey) and he explains to him what he's done. That's classic.

And what about the opening part of Anchorman where the team is introduced at the party?

Fpoonsie
07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
b_A96zd-hps

Eddie's severely underrated.

lefty
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Escalation speech

DeadlyDynasty
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
_svnsF5OLbI

Fpoonsie
07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I finally watched Glengarry GlenRoss today. Great movie. Alec's short stint was fucking fantastic.

But then again, he's great at everything.

QTj47rcuM-4

DeadlyDynasty
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
bout a minute in:
Yky4QtRX_DI

-8KTFQ23CWY

Oh, Gee!!
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
scent of a woman--when pacino defends his young friends honor in front of the entire school. hoowah.

DeadlyDynasty
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
opening and closing of Raging Bull are classic:

cuoiAt_k-CE

KLNft6cO0I4

DeadlyDynasty
07-05-2011, 04:25 PM
OT: Jake LaMotta is actually still alive:lol

According to his wiki page his 90th birthday is in a few days.

Monostradamus
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
dOfHr7H4SGU

Monostradamus
07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
btw are you guys serious with all the Pacino shit? Sorry, but just because he can rant and rave like a lunatic doesn't make it a good monologue. Worst over-acter possibly in the history of film.

Spurminator
07-05-2011, 04:59 PM
ueVPUsyrT0s

Bender
07-05-2011, 05:08 PM
the first 2 that I thought of were both on the list.

Brando's "I could'a been a contender" and John Belushi rallying the troops in Animal House.

DarrinS
07-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Robert Shaw for the win.