PDA

View Full Version : Understanding LeBron's decision.

MiamiHeat
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Watch "More than a Game" (2008)

http://megavideo.com/?v=POGCA212

Documentary about LeBron James and his group of friends, playing basketball from youth leagues, to high school.

LeBron already made a decision like the one he made on July 8th.

When LeBron and his friends chose to go to St Vincent high school, the black community criticized him. Apparently, Dru Joyce, the 5'2 PG, was part of the group of friends, but the only school that would give him a shot to play was St. Vincent's high school.

So LeBron chose to go play at St. Vincent's to keep the core of friends together, even though the school was a "white people school".... the black community and the black high school area called him a sell out and all those things.

In time, LeBron's decision will finally sink in with people. What he did was a great thing that you should celebrate.

/inb4 flames.

Don Ready
07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
:sleep

Nobody will ever look at it different. It is what it is and what's done is done. Move on nobody cares about the quitter.

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Great post..

It annoys me to see that it's so difficult for people to understand how Lebron works..he puts his friends and the kids/charity first, which is evident from his actions over his career IMO..

Giuseppe
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
"More than a Game" documentaries are nifty "in-house" rehabilitation mechanisms for defamed athletes and or sporting events (Browns leaving Cleveland back then).

Once the smoke clears they'll produce another that will rebuild James. It will denounce Cleveland outright, even interject some actual Clevelanders stating "we deserved it--it was a good thing."

Right now though Media is still in the process of making much money tearing him down.

ogait
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Tbh he would've been criticized regardless of his choice maybe not so much but still.

If he stayed in Cleveland ppl would question his desire to win, NY ah he just wants to make money on a big market and doesn't care about basketball, Chicago comparing with MJ etc, New Jersey w/e reason they could came up with.

For all his blind lovers and followers there will be some haters as well. But yeah the media will go back to suck his dick soon it's just a matter of time.

koriwhat
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
hmm cleveland or go play with 2 other top tier players and have a better chance at not one ring but multiple rings? sell out or not, miami is a great opportunity to get what seemed like nothing more than a pipe dream in the great state of ohio.

Don Ready
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Tbh he would've been criticized regardless of his choice maybe not so much but still.

If he stayed in Cleveland ppl would question his desire to win, NY ah he just wants to make money on a big market and doesn't care about basketball, Chicago comparing with MJ etc, New Jersey w/e reason they could came up with.

For all his blind lovers and followers there will be some haters as well. But yeah the media will go back to suck his dick soon it's just a matter of time.

HarlemHeat37 has that covered. No worries :toast

Findog
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
He did it for the kids!!!!

Gloria James is a saint, you hear me! Gloria James is a Saint!!!!

http://www.vince-vaughn.com/anchorman02b.jpg

Shank
07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Great post..

It annoys me to see that it's so difficult for people to understand how Lebron works..he puts his friends and the kids/charity first, which is evident from his actions over his career IMO..

Ahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You actually believe that?????

in2deep
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Great post..

wow you must be really stupid to beleive that

picc84
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Bron do love the kids, even the biggest cHeat haters have to admit that. Just loves them.

Blake
07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I still dont understand LeBron's TV special

redzero
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I already saw the movie. It was good.

Veterinarian
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
All trolling aside, the decision is going to be firmly in the rear view if this team puts some kind of historic run together. There will be tons of other memorable moments that stick out in people's minds that overshadow that if this team reaches its potential.

HeatBurn305
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Vet, gettin his San Antonio Heat on!

Let us proceed....

Red Hawk #21
07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
He did it for the kids!!!

:wakeup

TheHeatIsOn
07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Nigga Bron was hated on by them niggas so a nigga did wat it do you know im sayin nigga now is all good down at south beach niggas

Red Hawk #21
07-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Maybe if I keep saying "Nigga" they'll eventually think I'm black...

UniversityOfLakaLuva
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, but we know how you work.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/lakaluva58/4vhcxu8.gif

Interesting...

Studying lakaluva in his natural habitat, we have never seen this type of latent homosexuality towards HarlemHeat before. We have derived from these actions that this must be some type of mating call for Luva.

Very disturbing trends, but nothing too surprising considering the stinky pakis past.

Take care,

University of LakaLuva

Don Ready
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Nigga Bron was hated on by them niggas so a nigga did wat it do you know im sayin nigga now is all good down at south beach niggas

Fail :nope

You could've added one more nigga in that post.

Basketballgirl25
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
I think everyone understands why he went to the Heat, just not why he did in on national tv

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 03:37 PM
:lol What's so difficult to understand?..

He joined the Heat because it gives him the best chance to win multiple titles..winning should be the only concern for any athlete in pro sports..

He did it on National TV, because it generated 6+ million $ to various charities..

I used to be a big fan of your posting Basketballgirl25, but your Lebron hatred has brought out the worst in you TBH, it's too much..

JamStone
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
What was the reason for referencing the high school decision?

Was Miami the only team that offered LeBron's friends jobs? Under the table money?

He went to Miami to keep his group of grown men friends "together?"

I don't get what high school he decided to go to has anything to do with his decision to go to the Heat.

sabar
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
He did it on National TV, because it generated 6+ million $ to various charities..

Just ask Kori to make your name red already.

703 Spurz
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM

What?

Bandwagon Fan
07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
People arent going to hate him. Except for maybe 'the decision'.

But his legacy is always going to be criticized. It doesnt matter why he did it, the fact that he did will always make him 2nd banana to other greats.

Basketballgirl25
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
:lol What's so difficult to understand?..

He joined the Heat because it gives him the best chance to win multiple titles..winning should be the only concern for any athlete in pro sports..

I used to be a big fan of your posting Basketballgirl25, but your Lebron hatred has brought out the worst in you TBH, it's too much..

ok great, so you hate me over the internet, haha big deal not the end of the world lol. How can you hate me for saying what I thinking. I understand why Lebron went to Heat, do I like the Heat(no, never have since 2005) do I like Lebron wasn't a big fan of his before just if he beat a team I hated:lol, do I like the way he said where he was going on national tv(no,but peopler can disagree with that)

Baseline
07-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Documentary about LeBron James and his group of friends, playing basketball from youth leagues, to high school.

When LeBron and his friends chose to go to St Vincent high school, the black community criticized him. Apparently, Dru Joyce, the 5'2 PG, was part of the group of friends, but the only school that would give him a shot to play was St. Vincent's high school.

So LeBron chose to go play at St. Vincent's to keep the core of friends together, even though the school was a "white people school".... the black community and the black high school area called him a sell out and all those things.

In time, LeBron's decision will finally sink in with people. What he did was a great thing that you should celebrate.

/inb4 flames.

I totally agree. I really don't understand why this is such a bad thing. As I've said before, it's simply three dudes deciding that want to play together.

And secondly, if the League will allow trades like Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol, then players need to take matters into their own hands. I applaud Wade and James for doing this. I personally think Bosh is overrated and is nowhere near the players Wade and James are, but he's certainly a capable big.

DPG21920
07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
The reference seems to be more in line with him being ostracized for what he did in high school only for it to turn out to be a good decision.

He is predicting the same thing for the Heat.

I have a question: If Lebron would not have gone on TV to do the special, would people still hate on him for taking less money to win titles?

Shane27
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
i think they still would hate him, but everyone on here is going to say no.

JamStone
07-29-2010, 06:40 PM
The reference seems to be more in line with him being ostracized for what he did in high school only for it to turn out to be a good decision.

I have a question: If Lebron would not have gone on TV to do the special, would people still hate on him for taking less money to win titles?

Outside of Ohio, not nearly as many. I think there still would be some criticism, the type that has called him a coward for taking an easy way out to winning championships instead of taking on the challenge to lead his own team where he's the undisputed leader of the team. That criticism would still be there. But I think fewer people would be on him if he didn't take the route he did.

And this has been discussed a little bit, but let's be clear about him "taking less money." What he and Bosh are making is roughly the equivalent to what they would have made in New York when you take into account the no state tax thing. Moreover, once LeBron establishes his residence in Miami, there will be no state tax on all of the endorsement revenue he makes. He's actually saving money, and in reality "making more" with that salary because of that, especially over the course of the 5-6 year contract.

John HollinPER
07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
During my statistical analysis, I did not see any relatively high kurtosis in regards to the James Doppler Effect of MVPS+HYPE =/= RINGS simulation theory.

MiamiHeat
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM

You nailed it. "The Decision" was a disaster and the main reason why people got turned off by him. It was bad enough with the picture taking and the dancing during games.....

MiamiHeat
07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
And this has been discussed a little bit, but let's be clear about him "taking less money." What he and Bosh are making is roughly the equivalent to what they would have made in New York when you take into account the no state tax thing. Moreover, once LeBron establishes his residence in Miami, there will be no state tax on all of the endorsement revenue he makes. He's actually saving money, and in reality "making more" with that salary because of that, especially over the course of the 5-6 year contract.

While that may be true, he still took less money.

You cannot go around it.

If he had signed a maxed out deal in Florida, he would have the extra money + no state tax savings in Florida.

You can try and rationalize it, but he left money on the table. He could have that + no state tax.

Red Hawk #21
07-29-2010, 06:53 PM

I think many people feel the way I do about the situation. Lebron James made his decision to play with his buddies years ago. If he already decided this, was it really right for him to give so many other teams in the league false hope that they could get him? He's a phenomenal player that everyone would love to have. But I get the feeling that Lebron really just loved the attention he got from the entire situation. He loved the fact that teams were begging him to come play for them, he loved that fans all over were hoping and wishing for him, and he loved that other superstars were also trying to recruit him for their teams. Lebron James is an attention whore. That is all.

Sisk
07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Great post..

:lmao

JamStone
07-29-2010, 07:00 PM
While that may be true, he still took less money.

You cannot go around it.

If he had signed a maxed out deal in Florida, he would have the extra money + no state tax savings in Florida.

You can try and rationalize it, but he left money on the table. He could have that + no state tax.

Say you buy a TV on sale for $500.

I buy that same TV for $600 with a $100 mail-in rebate.

I technically paid more. But in reality we paid the same price.

Same thing. Yes, LeBron took less than he could possibly have made in Florida. But he's going to be making basically the same salary he would have made had he taken a max deal in New York.

You cannot go around that.

MiamiHeat
07-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, LeBron took less than he could possibly have made in Florida.

Good, you know it.

Everything else is just mental masturbation.

Basketballgirl25
07-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Cleveland fans would still hate him even if he didn't go on tv and say it and Knick fans might, but other people wouldn't, IMO

JamStone
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Good, you know it.

Everything else is just mental masturbation.

It's nonsensical to think that no state tax didn't play in a role of not only LeBron signing with Miami but also a role in he and Bosh and Wade taking less than the max. To dismiss that as a factor is ignorant.

MiamiHeat
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
It's nonsensical to think that no state tax didn't play in a role of not only LeBron signing with Miami but also a role in he and Bosh and Wade taking less than the max. To dismiss that as a factor is ignorant.

You brought up the whole thing. Every time someone says LeBron took less money, you try and rationalize somehow that he didn't, or that he's making the same because of Florida's tax situation.

Doesn't change the fact that LeBron took less money.

MiamiHeat
07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Cleveland fans would still hate him even if he didn't go on tv and say it and Knick fans might, but other people wouldn't, IMO

Yup, as I said before, Maverick Carter might get fired one day. "The Decision" was a terrible idea.

Not even Brett Favre goes that far.

HarlemHeat37
07-29-2010, 09:39 PM
:lol The Rapist taking 30 million a year..

JamStone
07-29-2010, 09:58 PM
You brought up the whole thing. Every time someone says LeBron took less money, you try and rationalize somehow that he didn't, or that he's making the same because of Florida's tax situation.

Doesn't change the fact that LeBron took less money.

I was responding to someone saying he took less money.

And I didn't say LeBron didn't take less money. Didn't deny it.

What I did say was that because of Florida not having state tax, what he did end up taking as his contract was roughly the equivalent of what he would have made in New York. Moreover, that there was financial incentive in saving income from his endorsement deals.

None of that is refutable. And none of that was proving he didn't take less. It does, however, give perspective on what he was "leaving on the table" compared to the alternatives.

milkshakeballa
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM

/inb4 flames.

You really do not get it do you?

The reason why EVERYBODY except you, Harlem and about 5 other Heat fans are pissed off is not because James joined Miami...its HOW he did it.

How do you not understand this? And how does chosing a high school even compare to this free agent decision?

And Bron was the first one to join SVSM from his AAU team...and his friends followed him...not the other way around IIRC.

If Bron announced his decision on twitter or wasn't playing up his free agency from the day they got eliminated...there wouldn't be this reaction.

If NUMEROUS stories weren't coming out about how this has been planned for years...nobody would be this mad.

If Bron didn't QUIT on a championship favorite team...nobody would be acting like this.

Cept Cleveland.

Jacob1983
07-29-2010, 11:56 PM
What if this whole thing was just a way so that Lebron, Bosh, and Wade could all be in some crazy, kinky, gay threesome? Just sayin'.

Findog
07-30-2010, 12:02 AM
LeBron's ancillary income from endorsements don't get taxed in Florida either. He did not make a financial sacrifice to join the Heat, especially since he got the Cavs to cooperate on a S'n'T to get him that extra year.

If I were a Heat fan, I'd try to defend his decision on the grounds that he was going to get criticized and alienate fans no matter which team he chose, and by joining up with Wade and Bosh, he went to the best possible situation for winning titles, which is what we supposedly ask our athletes to do, put winning first. Don't try and feed us this "He made a financial sacrifice" line, because that won't fly.

florige
07-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Great post..

I am still trying to understand his decision for quitting games 5 and 6 against Boston and then bolting for another team. Dude didnt even have the decency to issue an apology for that disgraceful performance.

NASHville
07-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Lebron is a sell out but he is loaded so he don't care.

NASHville
07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I am still trying to understand his decision for quitting games 5 and 6 against Boston and then bolting for another team. Dude didnt even have the decency to issue an apology for that disgraceful performance.

The only charity Lebron cares about is his own ego. Did it for the kids my ass.

HarlemHeat37
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
The only charity Lebron cares about is his own ego. Did it for the kids my ass.

The six million + $ to charity disagrees with you:lol..

Shank
07-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Stop falling for that bullshit. You act like the guy is out there winning fucking wars and rescuing children from fires. There are plenty of guys in the NBA that donate their money and time to helping the less-than-fortunate. Difference is, a guy comes off as a complete asshole if he has to flaunt that he's giving to charity. Besides, his flaunting of the donation hasn't worked for him. He's still losing the PR battle, regardless of the amount.

Stop looking up to this jerkoff as though he's some sort of savior. Don't you understand what a real hero and a real human being looks like these days? I'll give you a hint - it's not the fucktard with the massive ego getting handjobbed by all of Las Vegas. What you're doing is shameful.

KidCongo
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Can the Heat deal with all the entourage of Wade, LJ and Bosh? Catering to LeBron as well as the other two will be the hardest thing.

Venti Quattro
07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
gotta give it to HarlemHeat37, he's the only fan that I know having full-pledged support to three teams.

Shank
07-30-2010, 09:34 AM
gotta give it to HarlemHeat37, he's the only fan that I know having full-pledged support to three teams.

...in the NBA.

I'd hate to see what that map looks like if you open it up to the rest of the sports world.

Shank
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Can the Heat deal with all the entourage of Wade, LJ and Bosh? Catering to LeBron as well as the other two will be the hardest thing.

I know some of these dudes signed on for the vet minimum, trying to be part of something "special", but they've been around the block as well. I'd imagine, at some point, someone is going to be upset with the blocks of parking set aside for the 3 as well as all the favoritism, jobs for friends and perks going on behind the scenes.

dbestpro
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Yup, as I said before, Maverick Carter might get fired one day. "The Decision" was a terrible idea.

Not even Brett Favre goes that far.

This.

Once James sales continue to plummet James will blame the whole thing on Carter.

Fast forward to 2032 we see M. Carter selling used cars with photos of James on the wall, watching TV as Lebron is being chased by police at 20 mph in a Ford Bronco.

Shank
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
This.

Once James sales continue to plummet James will blame the whole thing on Carter.

Fast forward to 2032 we see M. Carter selling used cars with photos of James on the wall, watching TV as Lebron is being chased by police at 20 mph in a Ford Bronco.

:rollin

At Dan Gilbert's car lot.

Findog
07-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Stop falling for that bullshit. You act like the guy is out there winning fucking wars and rescuing children from fires. There are plenty of guys in the NBA that donate their money and time to helping the less-than-fortunate. Difference is, a guy comes off as a complete asshole if he has to flaunt that he's giving to charity. Besides, his flaunting of the donation hasn't worked for him. He's still losing the PR battle, regardless of the amount.

Stop looking up to this jerkoff as though he's some sort of savior. Don't you understand what a real hero and a real human being looks like these days? I'll give you a hint - it's not the fucktard with the massive ego getting handjobbed by all of Las Vegas. What you're doing is shameful.

LeBron didn't give one cent to the Boys and Girls Club, the money raised came from selling commercial ad space during "The Decision." He can write a check anytime he wants if he wants to donate. It's PR cover for the dick move of humiliating Cleveland on national television. And he didn't take the opportunity at all during "The Decision" to talk about the Boys and Girls Club and why it's so important. He just used them as props.

Koolaid_Man
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Man I hate to be the one to break this...and you guys know I like Lebronze and all but Lebrone and Maverick Carter seem inseparable. Personally I liken it to a husband and wife situation...

Reminiscent of Nights in Rodanthe:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/200px-Nights_in_rodanthe_poster.jpg

So my observation is quite simple Lebron and Carter got more than a business relationship going on..I can sense a certain look in their eyes and Carter always seem to be close to his man Plain and Simple.

The Beginning of this secretive yet very special relationship:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/lebron-james-maverick-carter-2002jpg-25d7c7b1e729a80a.jpg

Carter keeping a close watch on his man during this handshake:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/maverick-carter-a79163469cd63a8b_large.jpg

Carter showing Lebron the bulge in his pants as Lebron Blushes:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NEWBOS_Slide01_Lebron.jpg

Carter even lined up this gig for Lebron to express his true self:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/lebrongative.jpg

Lebron Laughs Off JZ's attempt to get close to his guy:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/2403_486x.jpg

Even on vacation they can't leave each other's side. Lebron uses the woman in the front as a pawn for the cameras while he walks with his main man Carter...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/large_aking.jpg

Lebron's Crew Grows under Carters tutelage:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/slideshow_980642_chubbie_baby_left_and_Maverick_Ca rter_sports_agent_right.jpg

Carter sets up a special birthday party for his guy..only guys allowed:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/drycleaning.jpg

Finally this is the closet they can be behind each other without reavealing their secret:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/carter_james03.jpg

KidCongo
07-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I know some of these dudes signed on for the vet minimum, trying to be part of something "special", but they've been around the block as well. I'd imagine, at some point, someone is going to be upset with the blocks of parking set aside for the 3 as well as all the favoritism, jobs for friends and perks going on behind the scenes.

Exactly, the Heat organisation will have to bend over backwards trying to accomodate. Staff and high paying fans will be the first to be ticked off.

Koolaid_Man
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Exactly, the Heat organisation will have to bend over backwards trying to accomodate. Staff and high paying fans will be the first to be ticked off.

man u got some fucking balls still repping that name...Lebron fucked you royally Stephon Starbury style... and you deserved every minute of it for all that lame ass shit talking you did to LA fans...now he's about to deep throat Heat fan on prime-time...I'm gonna get my pop-corn ready!!!

NASHville
07-31-2010, 02:22 AM

None of that came out of his pocket. :sleep

EIC
07-31-2010, 07:27 PM
1) Cleveland fans would hate the decision regardless if it was made discretely or on national TV. They are using the TV aspect of it to garner undue sympathy from the rest of the country. Cleveland fans need to understand that their shitty sports state of affairs is not LeBron's fault. It is unfair for them to expect him to single-handedly wipe away decades of sports failure, or for them to expect him to sacrifice his own best interests in the process. How dare they criticize someone for not sacking himself to save their pathetic lives.

2) I honestly don't see what's wrong with making the announcement on TV. This is fucking entertainment, for crying out loud. It's not like he divorced his wife on TV. I don't believe that "The Decision" was the plan from the get-go, but rather evolved as an idea in response to the massive media and public attention to his decision. For fucks sake, the President was opining on where LeBron should go. Don't you think it would have been a little anticlimactic for the world to find out by signing on to ESPN.com after all the hype surrounding this? He saw a way to give the public what it wanted and make a little dough for the kids in the process. What's the big deal, honestly?

3) The video in the OP shows that LeBron's primary purpose has not simply been winning, but winning with his friends. He clearly longs to be a part of a group. He saw an opportunity in Miami to recapture what he had in high school with this best friends and went after it. In this era of me-first prima-donnas who will sit out entire seasons for more money, why the fuck are we condemning a guy who is willing to take less money* to play with his friends and for the sake of winning a championship? If anything, this attitude is too rare in sports today and should be encouraged.

4) Did any of the haters stop to think that the public response to his playoff performances against the Celtics was a big reason he chose to join a team with more than one star? If LeBron is not Superman every night, people think he is a "quitter" rather than just having a supremely shitty night. (Meanwhile, Kobe sucks fat dick in Game 7 of The Finals and people just accept that he's having an off night because Pau Gasol and the Euro Trash Kids are there to bail his ass out.) The man is going to have off night and it's not fair to expect him to be perfect all the time.

* Anyone disputing that he took less money is a dumbass. Yes, with the tax situation in Florida, $14 million from the Heat is like $17 million from the Cavs/Knicks/Nets/Bulls/etc. But your dumbass fails to realize that if money was LeBron's primary motive, he could have simply demanded that same $17 million from the Heat. The point is that he was willing to leave money on the table for the group benefit.

BullsDynasty
07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
1) Cleveland fans would hate the decision regardless if it was made discretely or on national TV. They are using the TV aspect of it to garner undue sympathy from the rest of the country. Cleveland fans need to understand that their shitty sports state of affairs is not LeBron's fault. It is unfair for them to expect him to single-handedly wipe away decades of sports failure, or for them to expect him to sacrifice his own best interests in the process. How dare they criticize someone for not sacking himself to save their pathetic lives.

2) I honestly don't see what's wrong with making the announcement on TV. This is fucking entertainment, for crying out loud. It's not like he divorced his wife on TV. I don't believe that "The Decision" was the plan from the get-go, but rather evolved as an idea in response to the massive media and public attention to his decision. For fucks sake, the President was opining on where LeBron should go. Don't you think it would have been a little anticlimactic for the world to find out by signing on to ESPN.com after all the hype surrounding this? He saw a way to give the public what it wanted and make a little dough for the kids in the process. What's the big deal, honestly?

3) The video in the OP shows that LeBron's primary purpose has not simply been winning, but winning with his friends. He clearly longs to be a part of a group. He saw an opportunity in Miami to recapture what he had in high school with this best friends and went after it. In this era of me-first prima-donnas who will sit out entire seasons for more money, why the fuck are we condemning a guy who is willing to take less money* to play with his friends and for the sake of winning a championship? If anything, this attitude is too rare in sports today and should be encouraged.

4) Did any of the haters stop to think that the public response to his playoff performances against the Celtics was a big reason he chose to join a team with more than one star? If LeBron is not Superman every night, people think he is a "quitter" rather than just having a supremely shitty night. (Meanwhile, Kobe sucks fat dick in Game 7 of The Finals and people just accept that he's having an off night because Pau Gasol and the Euro Trash Kids are there to bail his ass out.) The man is going to have off night and it's not fair to expect him to be perfect all the time.

* Anyone disputing that he took less money is a dumbass. Yes, with the tax situation in Florida, $14 million from the Heat is like $17 million from the Cavs/Knicks/Nets/Bulls/etc. But your dumbass fails to realize that if money was LeBron's primary motive, he could have simply demanded that same $17 million from the Heat. The point is that he was willing to leave money on the table for the group benefit.

Of course Cleveland would hated the decision no matter how he handled it the fact that he put it on national television makes them hate the decision even more.... You think Dan Gilbert would have put Lebron on blast with that letter had he told him before hand 'Hey I'm leaving'. IMO its pretty retarded of Lebron to put his team and city on the spot like that on national television

midnightpulp
07-31-2010, 07:58 PM
...now he's about to deep throat Heat fan on prime-time...I'm gonna get my pop-corn ready!!!

So what you're saying is that the idea of oral sex between two men entertains you?

JamStone
07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
LeBron was fine leaving. And I even think if he felt special enough to do that ESPN special, ok... I guess. I had more of a problem with him not even calling Dan Gilbert personally. For me, I think LeBron as a professional should have had the decency and courtesy to tell Dan Gilbert himself, preferably face to face, but at the very least he should have been the one to have called Gilbert, not one of the guys on his "team." I'd go so far as to say he should have called each of the other owners/GMs he had talks/negotiations with and called them personally as well. That's not to defend Dan Gilbert though, because I think he was an ass as well in how he reacted and responded with that online letter. Ridiculous for an NBA owner to do that.

The other two things I think could have given him a chance to not look like such a pompous egomaniac were if he and his team didn't try to justify the spectacle as a charity even for the Boys & Girls Club. That just made it seem so pretentious. You know what? Want to really do it for the kids? Don't tell anyone, not the media, not anyone that you gave all the proceeds to the Boys & Girls Club. Just give them the money. Don't have a big check for them on the show. Don't have it at a Boys & Girls Club. Take the entire $6 million and quietly, even anonymously, send them the check. It would have gotten out sooner or later and at least he wouldn't have seemed like such a fake good guy. The other things is take a full page ad in the local Cleveland newspaper, give a sincere message thanking the Cavaliers fans and the City of Cleveland and even Dan Gilbert for your 7 years with the organization. Express that you're doing what you felt was best for you, your family, and your career, tell them you are sorry you couldn't bring them a championship, tell them you wish things could have turned out better, wish them and the organization the best, tell them you still got love for all the fans, and ask them to try to understand and respect your decision. Can give the Boys & Girls Club $2.5 million but can't fork over a couple hundred dollars to say goodbye to the fans who were a big part in helping make you who you are?

Even if you want to say ESPN special wasn't that bad of a thing, which isn't really all that arguable, there are peripheral things that he could have handled much, much, much better. As an adult, as a professional, even as a role model, he handled it extremely poorly.

florige
07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
If for nothing else he owes the city of Cleveland an explanation of his crappy play the last two games of his career there. And he of all people should know all that town has been through sports wise and at the very least publicy said something to them directly. At least Art Modell did that much. All this douche is doing is partying up in Miami. I hope he never wins crap.

JoeTait75
07-31-2010, 09:31 PM
He fabricated an injury and quit on his team in a playoff series they could have won, in a year they could have won the title.

Everything else is commentary.

That's because LeBron didn't "play poorly." He tanked.

It isn't as if he hasn't played poorly in the playoffs before. 35 percent against the Spurs in the 2007 Finals, 35 percent against the C's in the 2008 ECSF. 8-for-42, 19 turnovers in the first two games of that 2008 Boston series.

He was still trying, though. And people in Cleveland were always happy to let LeBron slide on whatever they could.

He's played poorly before. This time he just stopped trying. Galaxy of difference there.

Christ, all you have to do in this city is TRY. It's not as if we're demanding championships.

Giuseppe
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Christ, all you have to do in this city is TRY. It's not as if we're demanding championships.

On a Rutigliano Super Bowl team, da, da, da, da.

JoeTait75
07-31-2010, 10:37 PM
On a Rutigliano Super Bowl team, da, da, da, da.

They still get misty over those Kardiac Kids, Cully.

A team that didn't even win a playoff game. :king

EIC
08-01-2010, 02:03 AM
He fabricated an injury and quit on his team in a playoff series they could have won, in a year they could have won the title.

Everything else is commentary.

LeBron didn't "play poorly." He tanked.

It isn't as if he hasn't played poorly in the playoffs before. 35 percent against the Spurs in the 2007 Finals, 35 percent against the C's in the 2008 ECSF. 8-for-42, 19 turnovers in the first two games of that 2008 Boston series.

He was still trying, though. And people in Cleveland were always happy to let LeBron slide on whatever they could.

He's played poorly before. This time he just stopped trying. Galaxy of difference there.

I've heard this claim many times, but no one has bothered to offer an explanation as to LeBron's motive for "tanking." What would possess him to rip shit up in the regular season, only to suddenly throw on the brakes in the Celtics series? Doesn't make sense.

I mean, even if you think he'd already formed the intent to leave Cleveland, you'd think he would have busted his ass to bring a championship to them so he could say he fulfilled his promise and go out on top.

The only thing I'll give you is that he should have called the Cavaliers beforehand. That's something that is regrettable. But that single misstep does not justify the amount of hate being sent his way. Frankly, the hate is bizarre and makes Clevenland fans look retarded, IMO.

EIC
08-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Of course Cleveland would hated the decision no matter how he handled it the fact that he put it on national television makes them hate the decision even more.... You think Dan Gilbert would have put Lebron on blast with that letter had he told him before hand 'Hey I'm leaving'. IMO its pretty retarded of Lebron to put his team and city on the spot like that on national television

Maybe not that exact letter, but something like it. What are you saying?

LeBron calls Gilbert before ESPN special = Gilbert takes it in stride

Gilbert gets news for first time on ESPN = Gilbert goes ballistic

Just doesn't make sense that the act of not being given prior notice results in that volume of hate. It's wildly disproportional.

Let's call a spade a spade. Cleveland fans and Gilbert are using "The Decision" to scapegoat the real basis for their anger: The fact that LeBron chose to leave the city behind. But they can't criticize LeBron for simply leaving them, because deep down they know that hating a man for choosing to live his life as he sees fit would come across as extremely selfish and disgusting.

HarlemHeat37
08-01-2010, 01:39 PM
:lol Lebron took more FTAs in game 5 than his average FTA per game for the playoffs..I thought he wasn't attacking the basket, according to these people..

He had a triple double in game 6, and a usage % of 35+ IIRC..there's absolutely no reason to think he wasn't trying, and it's disrespectful to the Celtics' D to say that he just quit..