PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M threatening big 12-2

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Baylor, Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State — had agreed to give up their parts of the departing schools’ fees to the “big three” to make sure they reached the $20 million.

Beebe said Tuesday that Texas and Oklahoma had declined that offer from the five schools, but that A&M — whose athletic department is in the early stages of paying back a $16 million loan to the university — had not.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/7129321.html

A&M says Big 12 must fulfill pledge
Legal action, another look at SEC possible if league doesn’t pay $20 million
By BRENT ZWERNEMAN

COLLEGE STATION — The Big 12 Conference promised Texas A&M $20 million annually and the Aggies intend to collect, A&M president R. Bowen Loftin said Wednesday.

“A key part of Texas A&M’s decision to remain in the Big 12 earlier this summer was the commissioner’s commitment that Texas A&M would receive a minimum of $20 million annually in future conference distributions,” Loftin said in a statement. “We remain committed to the conference and fully anticipate that the Big 12 will honor its commitment to Texas A&M.”

And what happens if the Big 12 doesn’t honor its $20 million pledge? A high-ranking A&M official said late Wednesday that every legal avenue would be explored first, with the potential of bolting for the Southeastern Conference coming after.

Loftin issued the pointed proclamation in response to Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe’s explanation on Tuesday to reporters gathered for the league’s media days in Irving how part of the plan to save the besieged conference is set up.

Part of the arrangement in the Big 12 surviving, as ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports stepped up financially (verbally to this point), hinged on league heavyweights Texas, Oklahoma and A&M each receiving $20 million annually in coming years, thanks to upgraded TV deals for the conference.

Nebraska and Colorado announced in June they are leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten and Pacific 10, respectively, with the Cornhuskers set to leave next year (and Colorado to be determined).

The two schools will have reported exit fees of between $30 million and $40 million combined, and in keeping the league intact, five of the schools that would have been left behind had the conference dissolved — Baylor, Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State — had agreed to give up their parts of the departing schools’ fees to the “big three” to make sure they reached the $20 million.

Beebe said Tuesday that Texas and Oklahoma had declined that offer from the five schools, but that A&M — whose athletic department is in the early stages of paying back a $16 million loan to the university — had not. He added that the issue would be discussed further this fall.

The A&M official said Wednesday it wasn’t the school’s “concern” how the Big 12 got its money together for the revenue distribution — just that it lived up to its promise of $20 million annually, starting in 2012-13. The league’s pledge is oral, and the A&M official said the school’s lawyers are working to get the commitment in writing.

A&M strongly considered joining the SEC when it appeared the Big 12 would dissolve in early June. But UT, stung by the idea of perhaps joining the Pac 10 without its primary in-state rival, renewed its pledge to the beleaguered Big 12, and the nine remaining schools followed suit, in keeping the league together thanks mainly to the promise of an enriched annual payout.

The seven other schools are expected to receive between $14 million and $17 million annually. Big 12 schools have received between $7 million and $12 million annually in recent years.

Pay up or we go SEC. :hungry:

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm kinda hoping they don't pay up and A&M bolts.........

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm kinda hoping they don't pay up and A&M bolts.........

Same. Thing that seemed to be holding back A&M in the first place was the $15-20 million dollar exit penalty fee while being $16 million in debt to begin with.

Kermit
07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
:rollin

mookie2001
07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Boring

rjv
07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
i see that the annual pilgrimage of the wal mart tu fans has begun

Blake
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Same. Thing that seemed to be holding back A&M in the first place was the $15-20 million dollar exit penalty fee while being $16 million in debt to begin with.

so A&M is threatening to leave... because they potentially aren't getting their $20 million from other teams' exit fees....which means they will be paying an exit penalty fee themselves.....

....and leave to a conference where they are getting ready to pay each school $17.3 million.....

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
so A&M is threatening to leave... because they potentially aren't getting their $20 million from other teams' exit fees....which means they will be paying an exit penalty fee themselves.....

....and leave to a conference where they are getting ready to pay each school $17.3 million.....

I'm sure A&M's position would be something along the lines of "keep the money you promised us, but we're not paying an exit fee".

I'm also sure that a lot of lawyers would make a lot of money debating the merits of that position.

tlongII
07-29-2010, 04:23 PM
I hope A&M bolts and then UT, TT, OSU, and OU come to the Pac-10 (Pac-16).

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Would definitely try and get out of the exit fee. If they can somehow manage to do that through the legal system or an agreement than they will bolt if they aren't getting what's promised to them.

Blake
07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm sure A&M's position would be something along the lines of "keep the money you promised us, but we're not paying an exit fee".

I'm also sure that a lot of lawyers would make a lot of money debating the merits of that position.

Probably right.

At the end of the day, seems to me that the exit fee penalty is mentioned in some kind of contract somewhere, while the money promised might have been not much more than a pinky swear.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Probably right.

At the end of the day, seems to me that the exit fee penalty is mentioned in some kind of contract somewhere, while the money promised might have been not much more than a pinky swear.

Exactly why so many people are upset. No way they can generate that kind of money for A&M. They is so much pressure being put on the BOR and the President of the University for this decision. Most of the boosters wanted to go SEC and are waiting to see if Beebe can't hold up to his agreement. If so, they're gone IMO.

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Probably right.

That's certainly the risk for A&M. As long as the SEC is going to be patient with A&M though, they still have some leverage.

In the end I don't think it matters. The B12-2 will be dead within 3 years.

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Exactly why so many people are upset. No way they can generate that kind of money for A&M. They is so much pressure being put on the BOR and the President of the University for this decision. Most of the boosters wanted to go SEC and are waiting to see if Beebe can't hold up to his agreement. If so, they're gone IMO.

If they don't get the money, there's going to be some serious turnover on the BOR.

Thompson
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I guess Texas and OU are good as long as they have their own networks, but A&M stayed because of the guaranteed $20 million. I hope they make good on their threat to leave if Beebe starts waffling on his word. An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do.

mookie2001
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Walmart tshirt!

Another aggy win

Cant_Be_Faded
07-29-2010, 09:08 PM
So does this mean aggie rush freshmen aren't forced to spread ejaculate on longhorn paraphernalia in front of senior frat brothers while frat rushing or not?

Ignignokt
07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
A&M should bolt. Why would you want to play in a league where the Top 2 get the most distribution.

The big 12 is rigged for UT and Sooner Boomer.

DMX7
07-30-2010, 12:30 AM
A&M should bolt. Why would you want to play in a league where the Top 2 get the most distribution.

You communist.

Kermit
07-30-2010, 07:41 AM

It's better than the alternative for the rest of the schools. If Aggie really did have an SEC invite, they're fools for not jumping at the opportunity.

samikeyp
07-30-2010, 08:00 AM
it's better than the alternative for the rest of the schools. If aggie really did have an sec invite, they're fools for not jumping at the opportunity.

+1

coyotes_geek
07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
It's better than the alternative for the rest of the schools. If Aggie really did have an SEC invite, they're fools for not jumping at the opportunity.

That's pretty much how most of the A&M fan base feels.

Ignignokt
07-30-2010, 11:05 AM
You communist.

you Anarcho libertarian.

Whisky Dog
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess Texas and OU are good as long as they have their own networks, but A&M stayed because of the guaranteed $20 million. I hope they make good on their threat to leave if Beebe starts waffling on his word. An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do.

Excellent post.

Thompson
07-30-2010, 05:48 PM

Excellent post.

The last line is the Aggie code of honor. I understand such a concept confuses you.

DMX7
07-30-2010, 06:16 PM

Even though A&M doesn't seem that important, if another staple program left the Big XII, then I think the whole thing would fall apart and they might escape without having to pay the fee on some technicality.

CubanSucks
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
So A&M is going from an average 6-6 team to a 3-9 team

Blake
07-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Even though A&M doesn't seem that important, if another staple program left the Big XII, then I think the whole thing would fall apart and they might escape without having to pay the fee on some technicality.

apparently the reason why Beebe is scrambling to scrape together the $20 million to give the Aggies.

Kermit
07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
The last line is the Aggie code of honor. I understand such a concept confuses you.

Jackie Sherrill says hi.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Jackie Sherrill says hi.

He didn't go to A&M.

LoneStarState'sPride
07-31-2010, 12:36 AM
He didn't go to A&M.

That was too easy, DT--shame on you for picking someone so much smaller than you to pick on. Shame!

DesignatedT
07-31-2010, 01:52 AM
That was too easy, DT--shame on you for picking someone so much smaller than you to pick on. Shame!

:cuss I'm just pissed about them bringing PEPSI to campus and kyle :smchode:

:lol

Kermit
07-31-2010, 08:49 AM
He didn't go to A&M.

He was a t-shirt fan.

Kermit
07-31-2010, 08:53 AM
He didn't go to A&M.

So good it deserved two responses.

No, but those kids who took money did.

symple19
07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Before threatening anybody, perhaps the Aggies should become a relevant entity outside of college shithole...err...station

Whisky Dog
07-31-2010, 12:55 PM

Is that the same as crooked Rick Perry's code of honor too?

Also, if that's how you feel maybe going to a conf with Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, etc. isn't for you. Y'all will be some downright intolerant bitches over there.

LoneStarState'sPride
07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
:cuss I'm just pissed about them bringing PEPSI to campus and kyle :smchode:

:lol

Heh, I'm more of a Pepsi dude myself (check my avatar lol), so I've been happy about it--bought my first TAMU Pepsi from Wehner the other day hehe. Hey, there's always Dr. Pepper for y'all, right? :hat

DesignatedT
07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Heh, I'm more of a Pepsi dude myself (check my avatar lol), so I've been happy about it--bought my first TAMU Pepsi from Wehner the other day hehe. Hey, there's always Dr. Pepper for y'all, right? :hat

Ehh I can do Mountain Dew :lol.

Thompson
07-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Is that the same as crooked Rick Perry's code of honor too?

Also, if that's how you feel maybe going to a conf with Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, etc. isn't for you. Y'all will be some downright intolerant bitches over there.

I'm not much of a fan of Perry either right now. As for the SEC, I believe the NCAA is in the process of penalizing some of them right now. Hopefully it is cleaned up a bit before we get there.

DMX7
07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
It's amazing how just about nobody likes Ricky Perry but he's still going to get reelected.

Thompson
07-31-2010, 05:31 PM
It's amazing how just about nobody likes Ricky Perry but he's still going to get reelected.

What's the alternative right now? It's one of those 'lesser of two evils' situations.

Fdawg07
07-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Mountain Dew: Code Red FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoneStarState'sPride
08-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Wild Cherry Pepsi FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fify, hehe.

K-State Spur
08-01-2010, 11:07 AM

LOL. You're worried about the ethics of the Big 12...so you'd prefer a jump to the conference almost unanimously considered the dirtiest in all of college football?

All of these conference jumps are about greed and money - pure and simple. I won't begrudge any school that makes a jump that they feel is their own best interest, but if they try to spin it as a move based upon honor and ethics - that is laughable and hypocritical.

CubanSucks
08-01-2010, 01:46 PM
LOL. You're worried about the ethics of the Big 12...so you'd prefer a jump to the conference almost unanimously considered the dirtiest in all of college football?

All of these conference jumps are about greed and money - pure and simple. I won't begrudge any school that makes a jump that they feel is their own best interest, but if they try to spin it as a move based upon honor and ethics - that is laughable and hypocritical.

Thompson
08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
A move would be in A&M's best interest (the reason they stayed was the guaranteed $20 million -which Beebe is trying to weasel out of a month after the commitment).

The SEC does have a reputation for cheating (recruiting-wise), but as I mentioned the NCAA is looking into violations and will hopefully clean it up a bit. The thing that annoys me is that for a move this important (deciding which of the conferences the future of your team will be tied with), Beebe pulled some false promise out to keep us tied to the Big 12-2 and only a month later tries to weasel out of it (Texas and Oklahoma turned it down, hint hint hint). Beebe is an incompetent weasel, and I don't think the Big 12 really has much of a long-term future. I want out.

K-State Spur
08-01-2010, 03:42 PM
A move would be in A&M's best interest (the reason they stayed was the guaranteed $20 million -which Beebe is trying to weasel out of a month after the commitment).

The SEC does have a reputation for cheating (recruiting-wise), but as I mentioned the NCAA is looking into violations and will hopefully clean it up a bit. The thing that annoys me is that for a move this important (deciding which of the conferences the future of your team will be tied with), Beebe pulled some false promise out to keep us tied to the Big 12-2 and only a month later tries to weasel out of it (Texas and Oklahoma turned it down, hint hint hint). Beebe is an incompetent weasel, and I don't think the Big 12 really has much of a long-term future. I want out.

Do you really think your admins (or UTs, or OUs) made this decision based solely on Beebe's word and promises? The last-minute change in heart was almost certainly because the future numbers proposals came in from a network (either ESPN or Fox network - not FSN) that showed that the 10 team conference will make A LOT of money.

The reason the Big 12's TV contract is so much lower than others right now is because we were the first to negotiate it. The market boomed pretty soon thereafter. By ill luck, we sold at the wrong time - but that also means that our rights come up before the other conferences, at which point we'll be back in play. And it's very possible that PER TEAM, the Big 12 deal will be worth more than a 14-16 team SEC contract would net.

Nobody was going to forgo a super conference because Beebe gave them a wink and a smile. The man had evidence to back his play.

Thompson
08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
And we want it in writing. To this point, we have Beebe's word and little else (regardless if that is backed by solid 'estimates' of the next contract). I understand why you're not enthusiastic about the dissolution of the Big 12-2, but you better get used to the idea, because it will probably happen within 5 years or so.

Even if we do get the full $20 million, it wouldn't surprise me to see the SEC teams make even more than that in the near future. They're a better conference, they bring in more money.

DesignatedT
08-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Big 12-2 has 3 years left max. Fucking joke of a conference.

DMX7
08-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Big 12-2 has 3 years left max. Fucking joke of a conference.

Why is it just now a joke? Colorado has almost always sucked at everything in the Big XII and Nebraska has fallen off big time in football.

LoneStarState'sPride
08-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Why is it just now a joke? Colorado has almost always sucked at everything in the Big XII and Nebraska has fallen off big time in football.

This ain't just about football or sports--as has been posted before, money is the bottom line. Big 12-2 is a weaker conference because of greed, and we not only lost CU and tradition-laden Nebraska, but our conference championship as well.

Ignignokt
08-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Big 12 is one of the shadiest conferences in Football. Not the most, but alteast in the SEC there is equal revenue sharing. Vanderbilt gets the same tv contract money as florida.

You'd be dumb to listen to all these UT fans and not jump ship.

LOL Kstate! YOu would jump if the $EC offered.

mookie2001
08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
the big 12 is a joke because a&m wins so many games and UT forced them to stay

DesignatedT
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
the big 12 is a joke because a&m wins so many games and UT forced them to stay

A&M didn't leave because they were promised the same amount of $ that UT was going to get and considering how we have performed over the last decade, I would say that's a pretty good deal. If they want to pony up $20 mil to the Ags than so be it, but if they don't, A&M will bolt and won't think twice about UT. We stayed for one reason.... $$$$

mookie2001
08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
is that a joke then?

you (aggy) could make the conference better if you won some bowl games

MajorMike
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Beebe: "Hey, come back and we will give you all that extra money."

UT: "Nah, that's ok keep your money, we got screwed when Neb called our bluff, anyway. Just let us have our own network and we'll be fine."

uo: "UT is refusing the money?? Well we sure as hell can't let them one up us... we refuse the money, too!"

atm: "Refuse the money, are you fucking kidding me?? Our AD has sucked wind that we need that 20 bills to avoid bankruptcy! The only reason we came back is because you guys said you would help keep us solvent!"

Beebe: "Well, it looks like we don't have your 20 bills. You can still leave, if you want, but on top of your 16 mil loan you will need to take out another one for the 10-15 you are going to owe us on an exit clause... or you can stay."

Kermit
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM

UT: "Nah, that's ok keep your money, we got screwed when Neb called our bluff, anyway. Just let us have our own network and we'll be fine."

uo: "UT is refusing the money?? Well we sure as hell can't let them one up us... we refuse the money, too!"

atm: "Refuse the money, are you fucking kidding me?? Our AD has sucked wind that we need that 20 bills to avoid bankruptcy! The only reason we came back is because you guys said you would help keep us solvent!"

Beebe: "Well, it looks like we don't have your 20 bills. You can still leave, if you want, but on top of your 16 mil loan you will need to take out another one for the 10-15 you are going to owe us on an exit clause... or you can stay."

Dan Beebe ftw.

Blake
08-02-2010, 02:10 PM

ATM: "ok, then we'll leave because we think we'll have it better in the long run over in the SEC."

Beebe: "whoa... UT and OU didn't want their exit fee money so I figured you weren't going to take it either. Just promise not to leave and you can have the $10 million I sort of promised you.

ATM: "That would be $20 million, asshole."

Beebe: "right....$20 million....that's what I said, didn't I?

K-State Spur
08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I understand why you're not enthusiastic about the dissolution of the Big 12-2, but you better get used to the idea, because it will probably happen within 5 years or so.

Even if we do get the full $20 million, it wouldn't surprise me to see the SEC teams make even more than that in the near future. They're a better conference, they bring in more money.

Being a smaller state, of course the dissolution of the Big 12 doesn't work out well for a KS school.

That said...if the Big 12 was going to die any time soon, it would have happened last month - everything was in place for it.

There may be some posturing going on right now, but Aggie fan needs to get used to the idea that they're going to be here for a while.

As for the SEC, they're locked into their current deals through 2024 - the money per school isn't changing drastically in the near future unless they start adding teams and dilluting the value of the deal.

K-State Spur
08-02-2010, 02:49 PM
LOL Kstate! YOu would jump if the $EC offered.

Of course the Cats would jump to the SEC (or the Big 10) if the highly extremely unlikely offer were ever put forth.

Would we have left this conference for the Pac 10? Probably not. Ultimately, Colorado did the rest of the conference a favor because the split 10 ways is greater than Colorado would have provided as an extra team.

LOL at Buff fan that thinks they actually bring anything to the table. You've got one thing going for you - Denver has a lot of TVs. Beyond that, nobody would touch your poorly supported programs.

NFO
08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
That said...if the Big 12 was going to die any time soon, it would have happened last month - everything was in place for it.

Really. What happens when Dan "The Man" Bebe doesn't deliver on the money he promised after year one of the Big 12 - 2?

The Big 12 - 2 was thrown together at the last minute because the Pac-10 wouldn't let UT have their "Bevo" network.

The conference setup up as it is right now is a recipe for failure. It is just a matter of time before it is no longer in existence.

K-State Spur
08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Really. What happens when Dan "The Man" Bebe doesn't deliver on the money he promised after year one of the Big 12 - 2?

The Big 12 - 2 was thrown together at the last minute because the Pac-10 wouldn't let UT have their "Bevo" network.

The conference setup up as it is right now is a recipe for failure. It is just a matter of time before it is no longer in existence.

It's extremely laughable that any of you think that all these schools have such confidence and trust in Beebe that his promise is the only thing holding this league together.

I don't think anybody in this conference trusts Beebe any farther than his fat ass can be thrown. What kept this conference together was that Beebe actually had some VIABLE evidence behind his claims that prevented the other schools from jumping at a lucrative offer.

What's going to keep the Big 12 together long term is that they are looking at the next monster TV contract well before any other conference (except for the new Pac 10).

BTW, Pac 10 commish came out this week and said Bevo network was not an issue, there were political issues with the state that prevented the Texas schools from breaking apart from each other and leaving Baylor behind.

Texas can talk a big game about their own network - but they're still primarily a regional draw. The Big 10 network is still scuffling a bit, and it represents a much larger audience. No cable/satellite provider is going to give Texas the per/subscriber fees that Dodds thinks it will command.

Thompson
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
It's extremely laughable that any of you think that all these schools have such confidence and trust in Beebe that his promise is the only thing holding this league together.

They don't trust him. That's why A&M is trying to get the $20 million guarantee in writing. He's already stated through media outlets they are guaranteed $20 million (solid verbal contract with ample evidence to back it up). He might have a good 'guesstimate' of what the new contract will be worth per school via the networks, but he said that regardless of what the final numbers were he could guarantee the $20 million figure because the five schools had agreed to give their share of the Nebraska/Colorado buyout money to ensure it reached that number.

That solid verbal guarantee was enough to convince A&M to stay with the Big 12-2 and work out the details. Only a month later, however, Beebe broadcasts that 'Texas and Oklahoma have turned that money down' trying to hint/exert public pressure for A&M to do the same (issues with the penalty money might be developing; though the 5 schools will abide by their word, Nebraska and Colorado might be trying to get out of/reduce the penalties). A&M immediately let it be known that not only would they not bow to that pressure, but that they would resort to legal avenues (because of the verbal contract) available to them to compel Beebe to meet his promise/publicly known verbal contract.

Their other option (which they also leaked) would be to move to the SEC. If this had come to pass, they might try to use the legal leverage to get out of the penalty fee, but more likely they could simply leave and expect the Big 12-3 to simply disband entirely, eliminating any penalty. Beebe seems to be backtracking at the moment, but A&M is getting everything in writing to be sure.

NFO
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
What kept this conference together was that Beebe actually had some VIABLE evidence behind his claims that prevented the other schools from jumping at a lucrative offer.

No what kept the conference together was the fact that the Pac-10 didn't want UT having their own Bevo network and the rights to the games to be shown on that network, plus Bebe's promise of this so-called revenue stream.

If there was viable evidence it would have been leaked by some one and A&M wouldn't be requesting that $20 mil figure in writing.

What's going to keep the Big 12 together long term is that they are looking at the next monster TV contract well before any other conference (except for the new Pac 10).

Yeah because a conference with only ten teams and mostly in small to medium media markets is going to generate more income than either the SEC or Big Ten.

The Big 10 network is still scuffling a bit

It did at first, but now it dwarfs anything any other conference has. I'm sure that each Big Ten team banking in 20 mil last year from the Big Ten Network still considers it to be scuffling a bit. :lol

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM
No what kept the conference together was the fact that the Pac-10 didn't want UT having their own Bevo network and the rights to the games to be shown on that network, plus Bebe's promise of this so-called revenue stream.

If there was viable evidence it would have been leaked by some one and A&M wouldn't be requesting that $20 mil figure in writing.

Yeah because a conference with only ten teams and mostly in small to medium media markets is going to generate more income than either the SEC or Big Ten.

It did at first, but now it dwarfs anything any other conference has. I'm sure that each Big Ten team banking in 20 mil last year from the Big Ten Network still considers it to be scuffling a bit. :lol

1) Pac 10 commish has even said that UT's network was not an impediment. He blames political issues within the state of TX, although I think this was UT posturing the whole time.

2) If there was not viable evidence - teams would have jumped. Nobody in this conference trusts Beebe enough in terms of honesty or competence to make such a MAJOR decision based on his word alone. Outside factors played in. Even if Aggie wants more now, something beyond the word of a UT mouthpiece got them on board initially.

3) I don't expect the new Big 12 to get a contract above the SEC or Big 10, but with Fox Network being rumored to want Saturday football + ESPN looking to add a monopoly on the college football market, there will be bidders than can put the PER TEAM numbers in the neighborhood of those other conferences. The ACC got that for football and they have historically received much lower ratings than Big 12 games despite the larger markets represented.

4) Big 10 Network gave each school $6.5 million last year. That's not chump change, but it represents all sports and is a far cry from $20M per school. For the schools, there is no doubt that it's been a good deal. The question is whether Cable Companies/DirecTV will be willing to continue to offer a per subscriber fee unless the network's modest ratings increases turn into monster ratings increases. That probably won't happen unless they start to hold back premium football match-ups for the network, which would severely dampen their value to ESPN/ABC - which is where they receive the bulk of their TV revenue.

Conference TV network is still a good deal that the Big 12 should be jumping on (can't because UT will shoot it down in favor of their own) - but it's long-term viability as a ratings bonanza is very much in question unless steps are taken that weaken the value of the conference to the external bidding networks.

DarkReign
08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
The Big 10 network is still scuffling a bit, and it represents a much larger audience.

Scuffling?

Have you seen the numbers? The Big10 network is a resounding success for both ratings and sponsorship.

Mostly, IMO, because Comcast got them on the standard cable package instead of a sports tier, but thats just a guess.

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Scuffling?

Have you seen the numbers? The Big10 network is a resounding success for both ratings and sponsorship.

Mostly, IMO, because Comcast got them on the standard cable package instead of a sports tier, but thats just a guess.

I should rephrase, for the schools and compared to its inception - yes, it is a success.

For the service providers (who are necessary for any long term growth of the network) - it's ratings for FB games are solid (about 2.3M per game, but only about 500,000 outside of the region), it's bball ratings are a fraction of that, and all other programming might as well be on public access.

The Big 10 is rumored to be looking for about $.70 per subscriber nationally from the cable/satellite providers in the near future. There is no way that any provider is going to give them a significant bump above their current $.05 per subscriber (or $.10 depending on who you ask) that they currently garner.

DarkReign
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I should rephrase, for the schools and compared to its inception - yes, it is a success.

For the service providers (who are necessary for any long term growth of the network) - it's ratings for FB games are solid (about 2.3M per game, but only about 500,000 outside of the region), it's bball ratings are a fraction of that, and all other programming might as well be on public access.

The Big 10 is rumored to be looking for about $.70 per subscriber nationally from the cable/satellite providers in the near future. There is no way that any provider is going to give them a significant bump above their current $.05 per subscriber (or $.10 depending on who you ask) that they currently garner.

Ah, well you came armed to the teeth with information, so its apparent my first question might as well have been rhetorical.

Now I see what youre saying. Interesting.

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Basically the bottom line is how much is 120 hours of programming (ultimately, it's only the 35-40 live football telecasts that have any real value) in a 365 day year worth to the national audience?

With reference to the proposed Texas Network, you're talking about a maximum of 25ish hours of programming in a given year.

I have my own (as stated opinions) on this subject, but I have to admit that I've been wrong enough on this board (and others) that nothing would shock me. But I do think the niche networks will continue to be more of a supplemental income as opposed to the Big Dog revenue producer for the distant future.

NFO
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Came across this and thought it was pretty funny.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4681/dabbeebeemail.jpg

DMX7
08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Came across this and thought it was pretty funny.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4681/dabbeebeemail.jpg

lol