PDA

View Full Version : Need a confirmation...

TFloss32
07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Don't want to start another Shaq thread, but...I tuned into Ticket 760 a few minutes ago and came in on the tail end of an interview with Shaq at Cowboys training camp. Mike Taylor asked him if was in town to sign with the Spurs and he said "I'd love to come home." Couldn't tell if it was Jim Bob doing an impression or if it was actually Shaq. Anyone know? Has me curious.

DesignatedT
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
No idea. He's already said he would like to play here but wouldn't be willing to take vet minimum money.

Solid D
07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Nowwwww he wants to come home. I thought home was New Jersey, Shaq (?).

Trill Clinton
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
So san antonio is "home" now:rolleyes GTFOH

eisfeld
07-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't see the point for the Spurs in signing him with Blair, Splitter, Timmy, Bonner, McDyess already signed. Sign his sorry ass and trade him for Wilson Chandler :P

phxspurfan
07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't see the point for the Spurs in signing him with Blair, Splitter, Timmy, Bonner, McDyess already signed. Sign his sorry ass and trade him for Wilson Chandler :P

He may be the best shot blocker out of all those except Duncan.

Baseline
07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
I'd take Shaquille in a heartbeat. We haven't been able to push anybody around in the paint for years. Timmy has had to watch his fouls like a pageant girl watching her calories.

Think about playing Timmy with Shaquille. He could block shots from the weak side. When's the last time we saw that?

Baseline
07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
And think about playing Shaquille with Blair. We'd go through opposing front lines like a chain saw through a wall of marshmellow.

admiralsnackbar
07-29-2010, 04:51 PM

I'd think I'dprefer someone who can disrupt pick and rolls all game long instead of thinking 1 or 2 grandstanding blocks would make up for general lack of athleticism/enthusiasm.

BadMotorscooter
07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I've said it before, as well. I'd love to get Shaq and move Blair to the SF spot. Imagine Blair/Duncan/Shaq on the court at the same time and use Splitter and Jefferson off the bench for athletic length like the Lakers do Odom. We've had guys like Bonner, Nesho, and Nazr at the center spot but people dont want Shaq? lol

BadMotorscooter
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Spurs would be in the hunt if we signed him. Please people stop talking about Blair as a SF. He is slow even for an undersized PF.......If you want a big SF go trade for James Johnson from Chi.

Yeah, you're right. Lets just stick with Bonner and tissue paper soft Jefferson. Perfect.

TFloss32
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Has to be someone out there who knows whether or not Shaq's in town!?!?

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, you're right. Lets just stick with Bonner and tissue paper soft Jefferson. Perfect.

Bonner doesn't play SF, Jefferson needs a backup and . . . yes, Blair playing SF (a position he has never in his life played and does not possess the skills for) is patently absurd.

TDMVPDPOY
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
sign shaq, move bonner to sf on offense all he does is camp on the perimeter unload his bricks, on defense just play a shitty zone

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Don't want to start another Shaq thread, but . . .

BadMotorscooter
07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Bonner doesn't play SF, Jefferson needs a backup and . . . yes, Blair playing SF (a position he has never in his life played and does not possess the skills for) is patently absurd.

Why is it absurd? And Bonner plays center...never insinuated otherwise. And how do you know he doesnt possess the skills for it?

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Why is it absurd? And how do you know he doesnt possess the skills for it?

Why on God's green Earth would you want to take a rebounding machine off the low block?!

I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
And Bonner plays center...never insinuated otherwise.

Lets just stick with Bonner and tissue paper soft Jefferson. Perfect.

BadMotorscooter
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Why on God's green Earth would you want to take a rebounding machine off the low block?!

I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

Because you'd have another two already there in Shaq and Duncan. Defensively, Blair may be a liabilty but he'd have a few big bodies behind him but offensively he would overpower more than 95% of the SF's in the league. Who would have the size to contain him outside of LeBron? See, its funny, we watch a guy who is huge at the SF spot in LeBron but then see Blair and say it cant be done.

BadMotorscooter
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Ohm- the Bonner reference was for not signing Shaq. He would be the starting center.

ohmwrecker
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
See, its funny, we watch a guy who is huge at the SF spot in LeBron but then see Blair and say it cant be done.

And with that, I bid you adieu.

angelbelow
07-29-2010, 05:31 PM
For the minimum, its a win-win (for us)

Chomag
07-29-2010, 05:43 PM
if for the vet min. I wouldn't mind the ideas entertained.

Shaq could provide services as an enforcer, and thats something very lacking on the current spurs roster right now/

8FOR!3
07-29-2010, 05:46 PM
He played high school ball here, he can call it home.

completely deck
07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd take Shaquille in a heartbeat. We haven't been able to push anybody around in the paint for years. Timmy has had to watch his fouls like a pageant girl watching her calories.

Think about playing Timmy with Shaquille. He could block shots from the weak side. When's the last time we saw that?

this has to be the stupidest analogy I've ever seen on SpursTalk, and that's saying something.

jermaine
07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

An I bet don't to many muthasuckas wanna bang body with him ouuta that list also! & that's why we need him! If a nigga see any of them including Duncan they'll smile an rush to the paint! Oooo but if they see Shaq an them big ass arms coming down on they ass!

Chomag
07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
The more that I think about this the more it just reminds me of the Theo Ratliff situation. We all know how well the FO handled that...

8FOR!3
07-29-2010, 06:20 PM
San Antonio Spurs are unforgettable, TD21 Addidas shoes, headbands on top. Old, slow, and reliable, when it comes to defense Bruce Bowen's got it on lock. Southwest represent, now put your hands up (to avoid getting a foul called on you) ohho oohhhohhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwE-SLnLkqY&feature=avmsc2

gospursgojas
07-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I would take shaq, but I think we need a back up sf foist

mystargtr34
07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
People complain too much about Shaq's inability to defend the pick and roll. The number one concern any Spurs fan should have heading into this season... is getting past the Lakers. Thats the only team in the West as it currently stands, the Spurs have no shot of beating. Shaq's inability to defend the pick and roll pretty much goes out the window in that matchup. He's pretty much a perfect fit against the Lakers.

Sure, other teams will be able to exploit him on the defensive end, but you have to consider the fact he will only be playing 15-20 minutes a night... and the Spurs have more than capable alternatives if that is the case.

At this point in his career.. and the offseason for that matter.. i think he could be had for the LLE and not expect to be the starting C and on the floor at crunch time. I'd love the deal if he would come for the LLE.

OrEmuN
07-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Sign Shaq and trade Bonner for a half-decent backup SF!

dbestpro
07-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Two pages and no one answered the question. No, Shaq is not in San Antonio. Yes, it was a schtick.

SouthTexasRancher
07-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Pop & RC are holding the winning card....they can up the ante and offer Shaq all the AT&T arena food he can eat...after the game.

sananspursfan21
07-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I've said it before, as well. I'd love to get Shaq and move Blair to the SF spot. Imagine Blair/Duncan/Shaq on the court at the same time...

where's the mobility at? i love blair, but at sf? snails would move faster than that offense. and don't get me started on the perimeter d....

coyotes_geek
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
The question that the Shaq signing would ask is "do the Spurs really want to get slower and less athletic for the sake of filling up the middle on both ends?"

Having the ability to do that would certainly help this team. But they wouldn't have to be committed to that style for the entire game.

I would love to have Shaq on the Spurs do long as Pop plays him, but not too much and not as a starter (assuming everyone is healthy).

If Shaq were okay with only playing 15-20 minutes a night I'd be fine letting him be the "ceremonial" starter where he gets to have his name announced in the starting lineup and gets to be out there for the jump ball. That's the one concession to his ego that I'd be willing to make. "minutes" is way more important than "starter".

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
An I bet don't to many muthasuckas wanna bang body with him ouuta that list also! & that's why we need him! If a nigga see any of them including Duncan they'll smile an rush to the paint! Oooo but if they see Shaq an them big ass arms coming down on they ass!

lmao

gospursgojas
07-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Pop & RC are holding the winning card....they can up the ante and offer Shaq all the AT&T arena food he can eat...after the game.

Gross...att center food

spursfan1000
07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
I wouldent mind the signing...make it happen!

toki9
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM

Assuming Shaq has a death wish?

bigzak25
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Why couldn't our backup SF be James Anderson?

Yes, he's a rookie, and only 6'6, but I think he'll fit the role nicely.

If Shaq will sign, then you gotta sign him...give him his two years and whatever money is left!

SouthTexasRancher
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Gross...att center food

Exactly....!

SouthTexasRancher
07-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Assuming Shaq has a death wish?

A couple games living off the AT&T arena crap and Shaq would lose 50 lbs. of gut and ass and be down to playing weight.

eisfeld
07-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Because you'd have another two already there in Shaq and Duncan. Defensively, Blair may be a liabilty but he'd have a few big bodies behind him but offensively he would overpower more than 95% of the SF's in the league. Who would have the size to contain him outside of LeBron? See, its funny, we watch a guy who is huge at the SF spot in LeBron but then see Blair and say it cant be done.

You're comparing apples and pears here. Blair lacks the lateral movement, quickness and speed to play the SF position. Quicker forwards would outplay him when he's defending.

His jumper isn't really good so he has either to penetrate (too slow), play off picks (too slow) or wait for the lead pass in the paint. Blair is a natural, though undersized, PF and might never even see a minute at the SF position.

LeBron is a big SF with all the tools a SF needs to possess. Lenght, athleticism, speed, ball handling, quickness, lateral movement etc...

I understand your argument - Blair at SF would be nice, but face the truth, he'll never be one.

Blake
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
You're comparing apples and pears here.

apples and pears?

they don't have oranges down under?

eisfeld
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
apples and pears?

they don't have oranges down under?

Don't they teach Geography in the States? :rolleyes
Or do you mean down right under the Alps :P

Should have googled it first - in German the phrase is comparing apples and pears. Well now I can say I learned something new today too ;)

ohmwrecker
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Don't they teach Geography in the States? :rolleyes
Or do you mean down right under the Alps :P

Should have googled it first - in German the phrase is comparing apples and pears. Well now I can say I learned something new today too ;)

I didn't say anything for a while because it was funny at first and I thought everyone was in on the joke, but it's really sad that these people do not know the difference between Austria and Australia.

Whisky Dog
07-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Sorry Floss, no idea if Shaq is in SA, but if he won't sign for vet min I doubt the Spurs pursue him.

TFloss32
07-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Sorry Floss, no idea if Shaq is in SA, but if he won't sign for vet min I doubt the Spurs pursue him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18672/latest-buzz-shaq-t-mac-more

Yep, Shaq wants too much. He needs to realize he's 38 years old and take whatever a contender is offering him if he wants to continue to play.

As far as signing at the minimum for a contending team (outside of a sign-and-trade), it looks as if San Antonio and Boston are his best bets. He won't make above the MLE unless Cleveland signs and deals him. Atlanta's front court is crowded so it looks like they may pass. We'll see.

UnWantedTheory
07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

I really hope your joking.

UnWantedTheory
07-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I didn't say anything for a while because it was funny at first and I thought everyone was in on the joke, but it's really sad that these people do not know the difference between Austria and Australia.

Why did you not spell Australia properly the first time, but nailed it the second time? Watch the typos bro. And....Your right. I dont know what possible difference there could be between Australia & Australia. Weirdo.

Muser
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Anyone even hinting that Blair could play SF should be banned on the spot.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Anyone even hinting that Blair could play SF should be banned on the spot.

Why?

mystargtr34
07-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Shaq struggling to find good fit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve heard that Shaq, earlier this summer, was telling friends that the Spurs were the only team he'd consider playing for on a low-dollar contract.

But San Antonio, as covered previously in this cyberspace, doesn’t have the available minutes -- and really hasn’t shown the inclination -- to try to wedge the former local high school star into a world that still revolves around Shaq’s old rival Tim Duncan.

Atlanta? Sensible as it sounds for the Hawks to be the one team out there aggressively pursuing the 38-year-old -- given Shaq’s presumed ability to both stand up to Hawks killer Dwight Howard and sell tickets in Atlanta -- they just signed Jason Collins to be their No. 3 center and signed Josh Powell before Collins.

Which brings us back to Boston. I struggle to envision Shaq signing for a mere $1.35 million for next season, but the idea can’t be completely dismissed if O’Neal is serious about only signing with a team that can contend for a championship, since the Celts are still on that short list.

Tim Povtak of AOL FanHouse, who covered Shaq closely in Orlando when he broke into the NBA, reported recently that O’Neal has been lobbying Boston to come get him. Celts president of basketball operations Danny Ainge told the Boston Globe earlier this week than he didn’t want to comment on Shaq but acknowledged that “we’ve had some discussions.” And with Kendrick Perkins sure to miss the start of the season after knee surgery and with Jermaine O’Neal’s injury history, there is a legit need for another center.

The safer move for the Celtics is clearly signing Kwame, but I don’t think we need to remind you that Ainge -- who was willing to gamble on Stephon Marbury in the second half of the 2008-09 season when so many outsiders thought he wouldn’t dare -- is not afraid to take risks

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18672/latest-buzz-shaq-t-mac-more

Gagnrath
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Look dude give it a rest, we all know Austria is a fictional place in Europe that the fairy tale princes and princesses the Hapsburgs hailed from, and they started some sort of war to end all wars over. At various points it has been claimed to be a part of Hungary and a Part of Germany though why real places would want to claim a fictional place, who knows. Supposedly Vienna is a town there and its where Vienna sausages come from, (we know better; look at the can, it'll tell you where they come from.). To top it off the governator claims to be from their to excuse his lisp. If not a fake peice of dreamland BS I don't know what is.

Meanwhile we all know Australia is a real place. Come on no one could make up Kangaroos and Koalas let alone the Tasmanian Devil If Austria is a real place point out an animal thats native to there other than unicorns.

texaskid
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
he have lot home

Nathan89
07-30-2010, 10:16 PM
he have lot home

Texaskid go to summer school.

texaskid
07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Cowboys training camp ,so Shaq in dalls?

gospursgojas
07-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Cowboys training camp ,so Shaq in dalls?

Cowboy training camp is in the Alamodome...san antonio

texaskid
07-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Cowboy training camp is in the Alamodome...san antonio
http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%B5%C3%D6%DD%D0%A1%BA%A2/pic/item/992477446728097e8694736f.jpg

UnWantedTheory
07-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Look dude give it a rest, we all know Austria is a fictional place in Europe that the fairy tale princes and princesses the Hapsburgs hailed from, and they started some sort of war to end all wars over. At various points it has been claimed to be a part of Hungary and a Part of Germany though why real places would want to claim a fictional place, who knows. Supposedly Vienna is a town there and its where Vienna sausages come from, (we know better; look at the can, it'll tell you where they come from.). To top it off the governator claims to be from their to excuse his lisp. If not a fake peice of dreamland BS I don't know what is.

Meanwhile we all know Australia is a real place. Come on no one could make up Kangaroos and Koalas let alone the Tasmanian Devil If Austria is a real place point out an animal thats native to there other than unicorns.

I have never even heard of this Austria place. Fiction it must be. Unicorns on the other hand, are always running free on my ranch.

jimo2305
07-31-2010, 06:55 AM
Nowwwww he wants to come home. I thought home was New Jersey, Shaq (?).

lol i know.. right? :lol

plus having shaq in a spurs jersey looks good on paper but really c'mon...

i'd hate to be a victim of hack/a/shaq.. i can't imagine shaq hustin' back to play D.. nor having shaq go thru a season without disrupting chemistry due to beefin' with someone else on the team or staff

eisfeld
07-31-2010, 10:42 AM
I have never even heard of this Austria place. Fiction it must be. Unicorns on the other hand, are always running free on my ranch.

how's your fictional red bull tasting and your fictional Glocks shooting then?

spursnatic
07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
I highly doubt Shaq will be in a SPURS uniform next year?...Wouldn't mind having him, AI and TMAC though