PDA

View Full Version : new offseason power rankings...

hater
07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
I like this one better....

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/offseason-power-rankings.php

1. Lakers (odds to win next title 11/4) They are the two-time defending NBA champions and good luck prying that trophy out of Kobe Bryant's fingers no matter what kind of shape they are in. Scarier yet for the league, these Lakers should be better. Steve Blake is a better triangle point guard than the departed Jordan Farmar. Matt Barnes brings more toughness. If Andrew Bynum's surgically-repaired knees can hold up for a season, the Lakers will head into next playoffs better than the last two years. They are still the king of the mountain.

2. Heat (7/4) Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh make the most talented trio the NBA has seen since the 1980s. Those three made a financial sacrifice to play together and will do the same on the court -- their fantasy value goes down but their winning will go up. Pat Riley did a fantastic job with the rest of the roster -- Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller being the keys. Erik Spoelstra will be under a lot of pressure, but he is a coach who can handle it. Still, there are questions. How long will it take for the group to gel? (Not long.) Who defends the paint on defense? (This is a bigger issue -- Joel Anthony has fight but is undersized, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Jamaal Magloire will try but are not young.) With those big men, can the Heat match up with Orlando and Dwight Howard, Boston and it's long front line or the Lakers with Bynum and Gasol? They'll be good, maybe very good in the regular season, but the title will have to be earned.

3. Magic (11/1) They didn't do much this off-season, other than be involved in Chris Paul rumors. Oh, and they got Chris Duhon, let us never forget that. But as much as they get overlooked, the Magic did not have to do much. This team has been to the NBA finals and the Eastern Conference finals the last two years. They kept JJ Redick and you'll see more of him and less of Vince Carter. They will stick with their system of Dwight Howard and guys who can shoot the three, because it works. Jameer Nelson is still good and will have a chip on his shoulder. They still play defense. Overlook Orlando at your own peril, they are contenders.

4. Celtics (12/1) I picture Danny Ainge like John Belushi in the Blues Brothers, running around saying "we're getting the band back together." Then doing whatever it takes to make that happen, including pissing off Aretha Franklin. One smart move was picking up Jermaine O'Neal, who gives them some front line depth until Kendrick Perkins returns, and a lot more offense down low than Perk ever could. But it all comes down to health around the playoffs -- fully healthy they are a serious contender, if not they are gone early. And while that is true of every team, with the age of the Celtics it is more of a risk than most places.

5. Thunder (18/1) For OKC, it's about growth, not additions. They locked up Kevin Durant for five years. They got a little size to help combat the Lakers by drafting Cole Aldrich. They got Daequan Cook to spell Westbrook some, plus added guard depth with Mo Peterson. But if the Thunder just improve along the trajectory they already are on, they are about to make a big leap next season.

6. Bulls (15/1) If it wasn't for the Miami Miracle, everybody would be talking about what a great offseason the Bulls had. They needed scoring inside, they got Carlos Boozer. They needed better play at the two, they got Ronnie Brewer. They needed better outside shooting, they got Kyle Korver. They got a coach who will preach defense first again in Tom Thibodeau. Add that to the core of Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and Luol Deng and you have a good team. With a new coach and new systems, it may take a while to gel, but come the playoffs this team should be scaring opponents.

7. Spurs (28/1) I know, you've been hearing this for years and you're done buying, but I really mean it this time -- the Spurs have one more dangerous run in them. This season or next, the one year all the core guys can stay healthy, they are going to make one last big run in the Tim Duncan era. The key reason is Tiago Splitter, the best center for the last several years in Europe who the Spurs finally convinced to come to the states. He may not start, but you can bet he finishes games. And he will be the best big man Duncan has had next to him since the Admiral retired. Add in Tony Parker, George Hill and Manu Ginobili with a solid supporting cast and smart coaching and... it's going to happen. Trust me.

8. Mavericks (18/1) It wasn't for lack of effort. Mark Cuban busted it, Donnie Nelson tried everything, but the Mavericks go into the next season with the same roster that finished the last one. Which is not a bad roster. They kept Dirk Nowitzki and Brendan Haywood, look for Rod Beaubois to get more burn (he should have in the playoffs last year, but we're letting that go and moving on now). They are on that tier one step back of the Lakers, but if for whatever reason the Lakers stumble Dallas is near the top of the West. And you can bet Cuban isn't done trying.

9. Blazers (35/1) Their one big offseason move -- essentially trading Kevin Pritchard for Rich Cho as general manager -- is not going to have a big impact on the court. They added some good young talent with Wesley Mathews and draft pick Luke Babbit. The real key here is healthy -- remember the Blazers were the up-and-coming young team two years ago, then injuries descended on them last season like they offended the basketball gods. If they can stay healthy -- especially at center with Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla -- they could surprise a lot of teams.

10. Rockets (35/1) It's really simple: If Yao Ming is healthy, this ranking is too low. If not, it is too high. This summer the Rockets picked up some people to help keep Yao's minutes down -- Brad Miller and rookie Fredrick Paterson. They're nice, but it is all about Yao. They have the backcourt (Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin), they have the role players (they kept Luis Scola) but Yao is the key.

11. Jazz (30/1) They lost Carlos Boozer, they replaced him with Al Jefferson. They lost Wesley Mathews and replaced him with Raja Bell. Goodbye Kyle Korver, hello Gordon Hayward. This was really a fantastic offseason by the Jazz -- it could have been a disaster but they replaced key losses and may have even upgraded a little. The Jazz remain in that tough middle ground of good (52 wins last season, probably just a few less this season) but not good enough to challenge the elite. Still, fantastic offseason to replace those that bolted.

12. Bucks (40/1) The senator/owner opened up his wallet and now the team nobody in the East wanted to play in the first round (until Andrew Bogut went down) is going to be better. Brandon Jennings will not be a rookie anymore, and the Bucks have paid to keep John Salmons. They added solid depth along the front line with Drew Gooden and draftee Larry Sanders. They got Keyon Dooling and Chris Douglas-Roberts to solidify the backcourt. This is a good team that can get a top four seed in the East and advance to the second round. Not sure they can beat the elite, but this is a very good team.

13. Hawks (28/1) Meet the new Hawks, same as the old Hawks. They kept Joe Johnson (at a steep price) but did not add any size around him. New coach Larry Drew may be able to get more out of this squad -- maybe get them to play better defense and convert that to offense going the other way. Maybe Jeff Teague can give them a boost at the point. Even still, this is a good team - maybe a 50 win team again -- that can't beat the East elite. They are what we thought they were.

14. Nuggets (18/1) Kenyon Martin is going to miss much of next season, and they need him to come back right for the playoffs to have any chance. They tried hard to get more size but missed on all their attempts. They did land Al Harrington and Sheldon Williams, but that's not the answer. They have Carmelo Anthony, they have Chauncey Billups. This is a good team. But they do not have the talent to beat the Lakers or the top of the West. Right now, they are what they are, good but not great.

15. Suns (35/1) They lost Amare Stoudemire, and the window for Steve Nash and his back will not be open that much longer, so the Suns took some risks. They had to. They traded for Hedo Turkoglu, who when motivated is a good fit in the Suns system. He can also take on some of the ball-handling duties for the team. I love the Josh Childress signing and having him back in the league. Hakim Warrick was a quality pick up. However, it's hard to see how the Suns really got better, while teams around them did. It's hard to see them back in the Western Conference finals with this roster.

16. Grizzlies (50/1) They didn't make big moves this summer -- Tony Allen is a nice signing for depth, and Xavier Henry can be a boost if they stop messing around and sign him. But mostly they are counting on what worked last year working better this year. A better O.J.Mayo, a better Zach Randolph, a better Marc Gasol. And new max-deal man Rudy Gay stepping up to really lead. Seems like the kind of thing that could fall apart, plus the Grizzlies will not be sneaking up on anyone this year.

mookie2001
07-30-2010, 10:49 AM
i dont think hank done it this way

spurspokesman
07-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Lucky number 7. Yes sir. And I like when he said. "Its gonna happen". I would love to stick it to stern one more time. Let's goSPURS

wut
07-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I place them 4th.

Lakers
Heat
Magic
Spurs
Celtics
Thunder
Mavs
Rockets
Bulls
Hawks
Nuggz
Jazz
Blazers
.....who cares.

I wouldn't be upset seeing anyone in the media place them 6th-8th...that's about where they should be given stats.

Nathan89
07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
The spurs should definitely be ahead of the bulls. On paper we are better than that team. We have a better coach and more chemistry.

JR3
07-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I would put us fourth too... the one I had a hard time putting us over was the thunder.... but we seem to match up well with them and play well.. I mean... until durant can dunk over ginobili, the spurs will be better than the thunder.

tmtcsc
07-30-2010, 04:29 PM
I would put us at 4 or 5.

Rummpd
07-31-2010, 06:42 AM
First tier

Lakers > Magic > Heat (I am not buying Bosh in the paint against Bynum or Howard)

Second Tier with Realistic Title chances

Spurs Celtics *Mavs (assuming they make one more move as Kidd will not play at level of last year)

Third Tier at least a year away

Thunder Trailblazers Bulls

mystargtr34
07-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Celtics just blitzed the Magic .. and they added a couple of good pieces while the Magic pretty much stayed the same. So im not sure how they are ahead of Boston.

mystargtr34
07-31-2010, 06:56 AM
And lol @ Frederick Paterson.

mystargtr34
07-31-2010, 06:58 AM
And IMO Thunder are too high... should be below the Spurs, Mavericks and Blazers (if healthy). They are seriously over rated.

Greg Oden
07-31-2010, 08:27 AM
tbh, the Thunder are a legit big away from totally bukkaking everyone in the west.

Jeff Green just ain't gonna cut it. He's a bootleg version of Durant as it is.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 08:30 AM
tbh, the Blazers are a legit big away from totally bukkaking everyone in the west.

Jeff Green just ain't gonna cut it. He's a bootleg version of Durant as it is.

It is just you, tbh.

Greg Oden
07-31-2010, 08:31 AM
fuck me with a pickled chode.

ceperez
07-31-2010, 10:13 AM
The list overrates the Bulls and Thunder. Underrates veteran teams like the Spurs, Mavs and Suns.

Russ
07-31-2010, 10:52 AM

it's a family tradition

Rummpd
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Celtics just blitzed the Magic .. and they added a couple of good pieces while the Magic pretty much stayed the same. So im not sure how they are ahead of Boston.

It all depends on Garnett, if he comes back healthy they are right there with anyone, anytime and like the Spurs come the playoffs if healthy, watch out Heat as the Cs have the moxie and game to beat LeBron and company.

lefty
08-03-2010, 03:52 PM
So the Spurs can win it yet they are 7th...ROFL

But I like the Lakers ahead of Miami though; they are still the champs, and the additions of Blake and Barnes are huge

SA210
08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
It's our defense. We need to get back to a defensive minded team.

:pop: :pctoss

Leonard Curse
08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
yeah like all rankings right about now its all bullshit, let me ask yall a question whos always in the mix or considerd "dangerous team" during the post season injuries or no injuries the lakers,celtics,magic,spurs and the past 3yrs its flip flopped between mavs,jazz, even the suns this past year.

i would have put them (suns) right there in the mix this year cause they deserve respect after they pounded our ass but the offseason killed em. so while the thunder took L.A by suprise i doubt the lakers will let it get that close again i think thats actually why they got barnes (makes sense kobe pouted to phil cause he was terrified of the durantula)

my point is the spurs are always in the mix and are known to be able to take on anyone during the post season and with our additions i expect us to be pretty darn good, im not saying championship but i think its very possible afterall last year if not for chemistry issues and a major drop in almost everyones play even some young guys we were supposed to be elite, i think we acquired wayyyyy more competitive players w/way more passion and this is what was lacking last year!!!