PDA

View Full Version : Another Evo Problem

Nathan Explosion
07-30-2010, 10:45 AM
http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/p/3843/22662.aspx

Haven't seen any articles about this but I have seen this problem in person. My friend was showing it to me. He said he tried the hard resets like these people and the problem hadn't been fixed.

Any Evo users come across this?

On a different note, if you use Fring, you can talk between an IPhone and an Evo with the face cam.

PM5K
07-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Smarty phones suck.

Slydragon
07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/p/3843/22662.aspx

Haven't seen any articles about this but I have seen this problem in person. My friend was showing it to me. He said he tried the hard resets like these people and the problem hadn't been fixed.

Any Evo users come across this?

On a different note, if you use Fring, you can talk between an IPhone and an Evo with the face cam.

You post anything to make your precious iphone look better. :lol

Nathan Explosion
07-30-2010, 11:04 PM
You post anything to make your precious iphone look better. :lol

I already got Ray doing that for me. He actually seems envious. I almost found myself telling him, "But your Evo's pretty cool too."

You're just saying that because I couldn't make it lose a signal with the "death grip".

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 02:43 AM
I already got Ray doing that for me. He actually seems envious.

:lmao

Riiiiiight.

My girlfriend's iPhone4 seems so, so limited after using the Evo. It's not even a comparison. Of course, if you like software that holds your hand with everything you do, by all means, the iPhone is it.

Now, if you don't mind me, I'm going to go watch a few movies with Rockplayer that I shuffled onto my Evo when I was using it as an external hard drive (I like paying for storage that I'm not told what I can and can't do with it). Cause, ya know, Rockplayer supports about every file format under the sun, so even random AVI files will play on it. Maybe after that I'll fire up PSX4Droid and play some Final Fantasy VII. You know, because the Evo doesn't need Steve's unconditional approval to do something cool or new. Like, hey, how about watching movies on Hulu? The Evo will do that in 3 days when full flash support arrives.

Hey, at least she got a case so that she can finally make calls for it. Hopefully the super awesome free case that Apple is sending her will make it's projected ship date of October 8th. But her reception is so atrocious the way it is that she couldn't even make calls with it, so she needed a cheap case in the interim.

Jealous. :lmao There isn't even a debate between which is the more capable phone, IMO. If you know nothing at all about tech, by all means I recommend the iPhone. If you know what you're doing, I don't know why you'd ever want tech that's already falling way, way behind what Android is capable of.

For what it's worth, I've never even heard of this problem, and it doesn't seem like too many users are experiencing it. It's not even a topic I can find at XDA forums at the moment. I wonder if they used a custom boot ROM and didn't install it correctly.

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Riiiiiight.

My girlfriend's iPhone4 seems so, so limited after using the Evo. It's not even a comparison. Of course, if you like software that holds your hand with everything you do, by all means, the iPhone is it.

Now, if you don't mind me, I'm going to go watch a few movies with Rockplayer that I shuffled onto my Evo when I was using it as an external hard drive (I like paying for storage that I'm not told what I can and can't do with it). Cause, ya know, Rockplayer supports about every file format under the sun, so even random AVI files will play on it. Maybe after that I'll fire up PSX4Droid and play some Final Fantasy VII. You know, because the Evo doesn't need Steve's unconditional approval to do something cool or new. Like, hey, how about watching movies on Hulu? The Evo will do that in 3 days when full flash support arrives.

Hey, at least she got a case so that she can finally make calls for it. Hopefully the super awesome free case that Apple is sending her will make it's projected ship date of October 8th. But her reception is so atrocious the way it is that she couldn't even make calls with it, so she needed a cheap case in the interim.

Jealous. :lmao There isn't even a debate between which is the more capable phone, IMO. If you know nothing at all about tech, by all means I recommend the iPhone. If you know what you're doing, I don't know why you'd ever want tech that's already falling way, way behind what Android is capable of.

For what it's worth, I've never even heard of this problem, and it doesn't seem like too many users are experiencing it. It's not even a topic I can find at XDA forums at the moment. I wonder if they used a custom boot ROM and didn't install it correctly.

Yeah.... Don't try too hard to convince everyone that you don't have an Evo inferiority complex. It's very unbecoming.

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 09:26 AM
My friend wanted to race the download speeds between the two phones. I told him, "Sure just after we see who can get to his home menu first." He's hoping the update fixes his problem so he doesn't have to get another phone.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2010, 10:02 AM
I have yet to have that problem. The one thing that's bugging me now is the Evo won't take a headphone connection completely. I have to jiggle it around to get it to recognize the headphones and because of that, I don't get the full sound.

BlackSwordsMan
07-31-2010, 10:23 AM
if nathan explosion says the evo sucks then it fucking sucks

ElNono
07-31-2010, 12:58 PM
FWIW, I received my free bumper from Apple yesterday. So I'm not sure where the October 8th date came from...

I've also been running Flash 10.1 on my iPhone 4 and iPad for a couple of weeks now, courtesy of froyo's flashplayer plugin actually.

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
if nathan explosion says the evo sucks then it fucking sucks

I like the way you think. :king

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 01:31 PM
FWIW, I received my free bumper from Apple yesterday. So I'm not sure where the October 8th date came from...

I've also been running Flash 10.1 on my iPhone 4 and iPad for a couple of weeks now, courtesy of froyo's flashplayer plugin actually.

Where would you find that?

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah.... Don't try too hard to convince everyone that you don't have an Evo inferiority complex. It's very unbecoming.

I'm sorry, did you not just create this thread? It's amazing that responding to an Evo bashing thread means I have an inferiority complex. :lol

If I wanted an iPhone 4 on AT&Ts network, I would have bought one.

ElNono
07-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Where would you find that?

Google 'frash'

ElNono
07-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Why can't just different people be happy with different phones?

The whole need to bash one unit to prop the other is completely retarded. One phone is better than the other in certain things, and the other is better in other things. Happens with every set out there.

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM

The whole need to bash one unit to prop the other is completely retarded. One phone is better than the other in certain things, and the other is better in other things. Happens with every set out there.

That's exactly what I said in various threads. I have an IPhone because I have AT&T. If I had Sprint, I'd have an Evo.

I just love how when I mention the IPhone, Evo fanboys have to come on here talking about how great the Evo is and how much better it is than anything. A few more IPhone threads and I'm going to start hearing about how the Evo can be rooted to cure cancer, stop deforestation, and solve world hunger, while actually reducing the carbon footprint of the user.

We get it, you like the phone. Stop posting it at every mention about the IPhone because you come off as having an inferiority complex everytime you do.

I started this thread as a warning to other Evo users to be on the lookout for this problem should it occur to you. It's not getting advertised like any problem with the IPhone but I'd imagine it's a big deal to the user if it happens.

As for the back and forth between Sly and myself, we actually work together. Sly is the one who told me about this site. We're talking about a coworker of ours. Basically, it's something none of the other posters here will get because it's about someone that they don't know and we do. If you know that coworker, you'd get what I was saying and why it would be funny.

The whole IPhone/Evo comparison we had was not to see which one was better but to give us an excuse to stop working and play with our phones for 20 minutes.

Hell yesterday four of us (2 IPhones/2 Evos) we're messing around trying to figure out which program was better for video chatting in quality and ease of use. We used Facetime, Fring, and Quik. Facetime needs a WiFi signal but is the clearest of them all. Fring doesn't need WiFi and allows communication between the 2 phones and Quik is a driod App so I couldn't tell you the results of it.

All in all, about 30 minutes of time wasted. Highlight of the work day by far as work is so mundane right now.

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 02:24 PM
I take it you jailbroke (is that a word) your iPad and phone?

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 02:30 PM

This. I can totally appreciate the iPhone 4. As I've stated many times, I recommended it to my girlfriend, and she loves it, now that she has a case.

I just laugh when someone says, "Well, I think person X is jealous of me", because it smacks of insecurity.

The Evo, if utilized to the fullest extent, does things that the iPhone cannot and will not ever do. To me, that makes me wonder how someone could be jealous of the latter if they really know how to use Android.

ElNono
07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
I take it you jailbroke (is that a word) your iPad and phone?

No, I'm a developer, so I have a little more leeway to do some stuff without jailbreaking.

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I just love how when I mention the IPhone, Evo fanboys have to come on here talking about how great the Evo is and how much better it is than anything.

This in a thread titled "Another Evo Problem", with the added mention of an Evo user being "jealous". Right. You're just casually mentioning stuff to help other people. :lol

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
No, I'm a developer, so I have a little more leeway to do some stuff without jailbreaking.

Ah. I read the code for Frash is open so people can tweak it and make it more stable. I wonder how hard/long away it is to make it able to install without a jailbreak.

Being that you're a developer what say you about the whole thing?

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 02:35 PM
This in a thread titled "Another Evo Problem", with the added mention of an Evo user being "jealous". Right. You're just casually mentioning stuff to help other people. :lol

Can't you read?

If you know that coworker, you'd get what I was saying and why it would be funny.

You wouldn't get what is being said, so stop commenting on it.

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
You wouldn't get what is being said, so stop commenting on it.

Forgive me for not realizing the title of the thread was an inside joke when I was not privy to said joke. :lol

ElNono
07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
The Evo, if utilized to the fullest extent, does things that the iPhone cannot and will not ever do.

And the iPhone 4, if utilized to the fullest, can do things that the Evo cannot do and will never be able to do.

Hardware constrains are a two way street and normally are overcome with the next generation of hardware.

Software-wise, you can do whatever with either.

ElNono
07-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Ah. I read the code for Frash is open so people can tweak it and make it more stable. I wonder how hard/long away it is to make it able to install without a jailbreak.

Being that you're a developer what say you about the whole thing?

Not gonna happen without jailbreaking, IMO.

Nathan Explosion
07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Forgive me for not realizing the title of the thread was an inside joke when I was not privy to said joke. :lol

The title of the thread wasn't a joke. The Evo has had some problems. This is another that's happening. Hence why I asked if anyone had encountered this. Part curiosity/part "be on the lookout".

The posts between Sly and myself was the joke. I didn't mention anything about the Evo until Sly commented, at which I responded with someone by name. Obviously Sly would know who Ray was, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned him. Do you know who Ray is? I'm 99.9999999999% sure you don't. So why comment on him?

Oh wait, you wanted another reason to trash the IPhone/talk up the Evo.

Fail on so many levels. Stop trying already.

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
And the iPhone 4, if utilized to the fullest, can do things that the Evo cannot do and will never be able to do.

Like what? Just curious.

The title of the thread wasn't a joke. The Evo has had some problems. This is another that's happening. Hence why I asked if anyone had encountered this. Part curiosity/part "be on the lookout".

"Another" Evo problem. lulz. Someone is attempting to make ground after the well-documented and much more prevalent issues with iPhone 4 reception. There are tens if not hundreds of minor problems like this with almost every smart phone. Not to say the effects are minor, but the relative number of users is low.

The posts between Sly and myself was the joke. I didn't mention anything about the Evo until Sly commented, at which I responded with someone by name. Obviously Sly would know who Ray was, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned him. Do you know who Ray is? I'm 99.9999999999% sure you don't. So why comment on him?

Oh wait, you wanted another reason to trash the IPhone/talk up the Evo.

I already got Ray doing that for me. He actually seems envious. I almost found myself telling him, "But your Evo's pretty cool too."

Yeah, I'm the only one trash talking here. :lol

Fail on so many levels. Stop trying already.

Or what? Oh wait, got it, you create threads for only one person to respond to. I'll keep that in mind in the future. :lol

And :lol at the inferiority complex. I guess everyone in the sports forum has a complex too because they list reasons why Duncan is the best PF of all-time, or why the Spurs have the ability to make a deep playoff run. Complexes, everyone!

ElNono
07-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Like what? Just curious.

Like displaying anything over 800x480 in the built in screen without some sort of scaling, recording 720p video at over 25fps, detect motion over the 3 axis with a gyro, make GSM phone calls (ie: using it outside of the US when not on Wi-Fi).

I'm sure the EVO II or whatever the next-gen is will do all that and more. It's just the nature of a competitive market like this one.

I think the EVO was great for Apple. It pushes them to do more and do better, and outdo the competition. Now I'm sure HTC will push the envelope again. And in the end we all benefit.

Cry Havoc
07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Like displaying anything over 800x480 in the built in screen without some sort of scaling, recording 720p video at over 25fps, detect motion over the 3 axis with a gyro, make GSM phone calls (ie: using it outside of the US when not on Wi-Fi).

Fair points, although I will say that on 4G, the Evo can make calls and surf at the same time. 4G is pretty heavy in the area I live in, but that is obviously region dependent. As far as the screen goes, I've noticed that it's very warm, where as the Evo trends more towards being very cool. The difference in resolution doesn't seem to be as pronounced as I thought it would be. Of course, I've been on computers long enough to remember what 800x600 or even 640x480 looked like on a 15 inch screen, so even the Evo almost seems like pixel overkill.

Have you used the gyroscope much? I thought it was extremely cool but I'm curious as to how apps will utilize it.

I'm sure the EVO II or whatever the next-gen is will do all that and more. It's just the nature of a competitive market like this one.

Cell phones in 2 years are going to be so capable it's scary.

I think the EVO was great for Apple. It pushes them to do more and do better, and outdo the competition. Now I'm sure HTC will push the envelope again. And in the end we all benefit.

Completely agree. I wonder what the iPhone 5 will look like. At this point, I think they should just completely remove the surrounding bezel and make the entire face of the front a full screen touchscreen. Now that would be sexy.

ElNono
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Fair points, although I will say that on 4G, the Evo can make calls and surf at the same time. 4G is pretty heavy in the area I live in, but that is obviously region dependent. As far as the screen goes, I've noticed that it's very warm, where as the Evo trends more towards being very cool. The difference in resolution doesn't seem to be as pronounced as I thought it would be. Of course, I've been on computers long enough to remember what 800x600 or even 640x480 looked like on a 15 inch screen, so even the Evo almost seems like pixel overkill.

The iPhone 4 screen is just a joy to see and use. I look at my iPad now and it feels grossly pixelated. I didn't think it was going to be that good or useful until you're actually reading really really fine text without having to zoom in.
From a tech standpoint, and after redoing gfx for some of our apps and actually seeing the size of them in an actual monitor, it's freaking amazing they could cram that many pixels in there. I just can't wait to see an iPad with that kind of display.

Have you used the gyroscope much? I thought it was extremely cool but I'm curious as to how apps will utilize it.

I have but not extensively. I actually had an idea for an augmented visual program that I cannot describe because I still want to write it, but you just couldn't do it with merely a compass and the accelerometer. The gyro will make it happen. Just to see the difference in movement precision, check this out:

VP4-wdMMLFo

Cell phones in 2 years are going to be so capable it's scary. Completely agree. I wonder what the iPhone 5 will look like. At this point, I think they should just completely remove the surrounding bezel and make the entire face of the front a full screen touchscreen. Now that would be sexy.

Not just cellphones. The iPad is an unbelievable device. And I'm sure Balmer and Android will be copying and improving on similar devices. Right now iPhone dev pay all the bills for us, but we're not against expanding to other markets as things mature and change. So, just like you, I really can't wait.

leemajors
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
The iPhone 4 screen is just a joy to see and use. I look at my iPad now and it feels grossly pixelated. I didn't think it was going to be that good or useful until you're actually reading really really fine text without having to zoom in.

It's very nice. Going from 3G to this was, just glad I waited. The iPhone has somehow become my preferred method for wasting time on games. I haven't played a PC game (TF2) in 6 months. Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, and the games that go free for a day or two to generate hype have kept me content for that long. I just check Gizmodo's deals post every day and find 2-3 games a week to try out. They've also started listing Android under the Apps section, and I have found a few things my friends with Android were interested in.

ynh
08-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Just picked up the Evo after going through 6 palm pres in 6 months. Absolutly hated the Palm Pre.. thing broke just looking at it. Loving the Evo.. Best feature by far is the fact I can put an NES and SNES emulator on it.. have about 800 games to sit and play around with when I'm bored. Love the screen.. great phone so far.

Cry Havoc
08-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Just picked up the Evo after going through 6 palm pres in 6 months. Absolutly hated the Palm Pre.. thing broke just looking at it. Loving the Evo.. Best feature by far is the fact I can put an NES and SNES emulator on it.. have about 800 games to sit and play around with when I'm bored. Love the screen.. great phone so far.

You can also download Psx4droid and play playstation games.... PM me and I'll send you a site where you can find a ton of Playstation games for emulation.

Nathan Explosion
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Why are we talking about the Evo on this thread? Oh yeah, it's an Evo thread. I forgot with all the iPhone talk that got thrown around.

:)

Frenzy
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Had the phone almost 2 months now. and I haven't had an issue with the home screen button.

Only issue is text msg takes a while to load. But that's probably because I haven't erased any of the old msgs. Other ppl I don't text so much... load fast.

The Gemini Method
08-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm a loyal iPhone user, but I appreciate the competition for all of us. When I lost (or my phone was stolen) this past weekend, I actually looked at the Evo 4G and Droid X as possible replacements. However, I stayed true to the phone that gave me excellent and endless opportunities in the end and went from a 3G to a i4. But all this going back and forth is both a postive in that its evoking competition and annoying because its really stupid to chastize someone's preference. Especially when it comes to something as trivial as a cell phone.

Nathan Explosion
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
My friend said that the update fixed the home button issue. Hopefully it's a cure for all who have experienced the problem.

As for the iPhone, I found an app that let's me scan the barcode of the items at home that I'm going to need to create a shopping list. I like it because it keeps me from having to type every single item when I can just scan away.

I have another shopping list one that lets me add the price of each item to give me the subtotal before I reach the checkstand. Great for me as I work in a grocery store and spend way too much money shopping when I get out.

I don't know how many times I've made my shopping list while checking in vendors or looking at the items as I unload them off the trucks. I spend more money than I should because of it.

Chachachango
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Why the hell am I having trouble commenting on YouTube videos? And why does an error pop up when I try to watch a video?its pissing me off.

Cry Havoc
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Why the hell am I having trouble commenting on YouTube videos? And why does an error pop up when I try to watch a video?its pissing me off.

Not a problem with me. Did you google it?