PDA

View Full Version : James Anderson: Why You Should Expect Him to Play Immediately

lurker23
07-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Since the Spurs drafted James Anderson with the 20th overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, there has been much discussion and debate about how much playing time Anderson will receive from Coach Popovich in his rookie season. Here are three reasons I believe he will get on the court in the NBA more than you may think:

-Positional need: When Anderson was drafted, I felt he projected to be more of a SG than a SF. If I stick by that assessment, here is the Spurs roster as it stands after the departure of Malik Hairston:

PG: Parker/Hill/Temple/Jerrells
SG: (Hill)/Manu/Neal/Anderson
SF: Jefferson/Gee
PF: Duncan/Blair/Bonner
C: McDyess/Splitter

Clearly, the hole is at SF, especially if Gee isn't ready to contribute. While the 2/3 is relatively interchangeable in the Spurs system, and they've been known to go with 3 guard sets in the past, you'd like at least one of those players to be 6'5" or taller, for defensive purposes. Of the 4 SGs listed, Manu and Anderson fit that bill.

This apparent hole has led some to claim that a deal for a veteran SF is in the works. While there is some chance of that, staying pat seems the more likely scenario. The Spurs are right up against the luxury tax (depending on how numbers shake out or what deals are done later in the year, they can either stick with these 14 or cut one to drop the roster to 13), and given the effort they took to restructure Jefferson's contract, it would seem they want to stay under the tax. Signing a vet to a minimum contract at this point would cost them at least $3-5 million.

-Skill set: Perhaps more importantly for Anderson, his skill set fits very well with what the Spurs would want him to do. (This shouldn't be a surprise, considering they drafted him among the many options still on the board.) He is an excellent shooter, and should get more open looks than he did in college simply by standing in the corner. He is a skilled and experienced pick and roll player, something the Spurs would be wise to utilize. While he doesn't create well in isolation, he does well off of these picks, and is able to finish at the rim, get to the free throw line, and convert once he gets there. He is a highly efficient scorer, in fact one of the most efficient in the entire draft, so he will likely be able to put points on the board without taking away a significant number of shots from the starters. His ball handling is sub-par, but with practically any lineup he'll be on the court with, he would be the 3rd or 4th ball handling option at best.

The big question mark with Anderson is his defense. He's been described as decent to poor individual defender, and a decent to good team defender. This deficiency is the one thing that could keep him off the court. However, he certainly has the physical tools to improve in this area, though adding a few pounds in the weight room would certainly help. Many scouts wondered whether part of his problem on defense was the large load he was expected to shoulder on the offensive end at Oklahoma State. With the energy expended on offense, as well as the desire to stay out of foul trouble, perhaps some of Anderson’s struggles had more to do with the situation than the player. If this was even partly true, combined with coaching from the Spurs staff on strategies and fundamentals, Anderson should become a passable defender through the year, which would be enough to get him on the court for role player type minutes.

-History: There has been a long standing myth that Pop doesn’t play rookies. While some rookies have seen their minutes decrease in the playoffs, the regular season has been a different story. Since 2001, there have been 4 players that the Spurs drafted in the first or early second round, and then made the team out of training camp the immediately following season: Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, George Hill, and DeJuan Blair. Here are those players minutes per game in their rookie seasons:

Tony Parker: 29:23
Beno Udrih: 14:24
George Hill: 16:30
DeJuan Blair: 18:11

This is perhaps the most important indicator for Anderson. Every time the Spurs have drafted a significant rookie, they have gotten playing time in their first season. (It is worth noting that, at the 20th overall pick, Anderson is the the highest picked of all these players.) Pop has plugged these players primarily into key backup roles, with George Hill being the primary backup PG, and Blair being a primary backup big man.

For all the reasons above, I believe James Anderson will see relatively consistent minutes in his rookie season. The Spurs “hole” at the swingman position looks a lot less like a hole if you plug in Anderson as a primary backup 2/3 for 12-18 minutes per game.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Good read. No doubt in my mind Anderson can play some at the 3 position but the big question mark is how can he defend the opposing 3's. I never thought Hairston was the answer to be the primary backup wing and I'm not so sure Anderson is either. Anderson and Hairston are about the same build.

Bruno
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Nice breakdown as usual, timvp. :tu

Bender
07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
was that a typo, or on purpose? are they the same guy?

lurker23
07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice breakdown as usual, timvp. :tu

I'm not sure whether I should take offense or be flattered. :lol

Cane
07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Good post like usual, lurker23 :hat

Coach Pop mentioned in an interview during the summer league that they've been aiming to get younger and athletic which further fits the bill for Anderson having substantial minutes. Its also great that he's far from a stranger when it comes to pick and roll basketball.

:flag:

TD 21
07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
For all the reasons above, I believe James Anderson will see relatively consistent minutes in his rookie season. The Spurs “hole” at the swingman position looks a lot less like a hole if you plug in Anderson as a primary backup 2/3 for 12-18 minutes per game.

I agree that Anderson will see relatively consistent minutes in his rookie season.

But you're forgetting one thing about the "hole" at the swingman position. The "hole" isn't predicated on a lack of depth; it's predicated on a lack of experience and most notably, a lack of an above average man defender.

They don't have anyone to play the stopper role in their projected nine man rotation. As it stands right now, by default Jefferson and Hill will probably take on this role.

DBMethos
07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Great analysis. I think we've all pretty much agreed that Tiago will be the biggest difference maker amongst the newcomers this year, but I think Anderson will be a pleasant surprise.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Jefferson is a better defender than what he gets credit for around here IMO, I saw nothing but improvement as the season went on, but saying that we still definitely need a capable backup who can play solid defense and knock down the 3 ball. Anderson might be able to fill that role hopefully.

ohmwrecker
07-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I think anything that Anderson contributes as a rookie should be viewed as a positive and if he gets decent minutes, that should affirm that Pop has not totally lost his mind.

Bruno
07-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure whether I should take offense or be flattered. :lol

I'm sure you know how to take it.

Back to the topic: Spurs only have 4 vet perimeter players (Parker, Hill, Ginobili and Jefferson). Other perimeter players (Neal, Tmeple, Jerrels, Gee and Anderson) are unproven. It's a given that at least 1 or 2 of these players will get consistent playing time. Spurs seemed really happy to have drafted Anderson and considered him as a lottery pick who slip during the draft process because of an hammy injury. He could be the one that will emerge among these young players.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I wish we could have seen some of Anderson during the SL. It just remains a big question mark. I guess well see what he can bring once the pre-season starts.

Hooks
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I hope Pop doesn't put JA at SF, he's too small. I hate it when Pop does that shit, we all saw what happened when he tried to make RMJ a PG...

I think JA is gonna be a beast this season if he stays at SG though.

ohmwrecker
07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Bruno, I had an unrelated question for you on another thread:

What are the rules regarding an agent/player negotiating with a European team while said player is currently under contract with an NBA team?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159886&page=14

Bruno
07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Bruno, I had an unrelated question for you on another thread:

What are the rules regarding an agent/player negotiating with a European team while said player is currently under contract with an NBA team?

The Euro team can talk as much as they want with the player and/or the agent. There are no tampering rules in Europe.

lurker23
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
was that a typo, or on purpose? are they the same guy?

Not the same guy. However, we've never been seen at the same place at the same time, so you never know. :lol

TD 21
07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I hope Pop doesn't put JA at SF, he's too small. I hate it when Pop does that shit, we all saw what happened when he tried to make RMJ a PG...

How else would he get consistent playing time? The vast majority of the SG minutes are going to go to Ginobili and Hill.

This is why, despite this team's talent, their pieces just don't quite fit. Amongst their top nine, they have no one to play the stopper role, they're likely to start with a small backcourt and (probably a good amount of the time) close a lot of games with three guards and they have no true backup SF.

ohmwrecker
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
The Euro team can talk as much as they want with the player and/or the agent. There are no tampering rules in Europe.

Thanks.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Props nice read, I think anderson can contribute im still up in the air about gee ive never really seen him play. 1 question for yall that have seen gee play, is he d better than malik's d?. It would be great if anderson,neal, & bonner are on the floor at the same time knocking down 3's

ohmwrecker
07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Aw, man. I thought you left.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Aw, man. I thought you left.
monday im gone for sure until the start of the season, knamean

K-State Spur
07-30-2010, 02:58 PM

It's A LOT easier for a 2 to play some minutes at the 3 than to play some minutes at the point.

All-in-all, unless we can get a legitimate proven SF off the trash heap or via trade, I'd rather go with 3 guards who can actually play on the second unit.

ohmwrecker
07-30-2010, 03:00 PM
monday i gone for sure until the start of the season, knamean

I do knaumean. I actually, surprisingly understood that. Why Monday?

SpursTillTheEnd
07-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I do knaumean. I actually, surprisingly understood that. Why Monday?
Im trying to see if we sign someone else.. but shit it moght be today idk

lurker23
07-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree that Anderson will see relatively consistent minutes in his rookie season.

But you're forgetting one thing about the "hole" at the swingman position. The "hole" isn't predicated on a lack of depth; it's predicated on a lack of experience and most notably, a lack of an above average man defender.

They don't have anyone to play the stopper role in their projected nine man rotation. As it stands right now, by default Jefferson and Hill will probably take on this role.

I agree that, one way or another, the Spurs have to get better defensively. At this point, I think the most likely way of that happening is via individual improvements and a re-commitment to team oriented defense. On the whole, I think the addition of Splitter will help this.

As far as the wings go, I'm beginning to wonder if the role of "stopper" is one that should have left with Bruce Bowen. In the last two years, the Spurs have given plenty of minutes to Ime Udoka and Keith Bogans with the idea of them being defensive role players, but have had fairly little success. If you have the right personnel, like the Spurs did with Bowen, then it's a role that can play great dividends. If you don't have the right player(s), then it can jam up your entire rotation system. I don't see that player in the Spurs pipeline or on the free agent market. If the Spurs truly want a defensive stopper good enough to lean on, they'll probably have to obtain him via trade.

urunobili
07-30-2010, 03:26 PM
lol timvp=lurker23

I guess it all started after timvp announced he would go tot he Rocky Mountain SL league games and then he couldn't go... all of a sudden... we got lurker23 starting to give us takes from the entire tournament and gr8 quality posts... mmmmmmm interesting... :wakeup

lefty
07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
I was excited on draft night when we picked Anderson

Good skillset, confident, agressive and will allow Manu to rest.

Besides, as Lurker23 or Timvp mentioned, he is good off the pick-n-roll, and Splitter is excellent in that area too.

I wouldnt be surprised if Pop plays them at the same time.

TD 21
07-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I agree that, one way or another, the Spurs have to get better defensively. At this point, I think the most likely way of that happening is via individual improvements and a re-commitment to team oriented defense. On the whole, I think the addition of Splitter will help this.

As far as the wings go, I'm beginning to wonder if the role of "stopper" is one that should have left with Bruce Bowen. In the last two years, the Spurs have given plenty of minutes to Ime Udoka and Keith Bogans with the idea of them being defensive role players, but have had fairly little success. If you have the right personnel, like the Spurs did with Bowen, then it's a role that can play great dividends. If you don't have the right player(s), then it can jam up your entire rotation system. I don't see that player in the Spurs pipeline or on the free agent market. If the Spurs truly want a defensive stopper good enough to lean on, they'll probably have to obtain him via trade.

I agree.

I see it as a necessary role, particularly for a team with serious championship aspirations. You can't expect to go through Bryant, James, Wade, Durant, Anthony, etc., without a single player capable of adequately guarding them. I'd rather they stand pat than bring back Bogans, Udoka or bring in someone of that ilk. Jefferson, if the spirit moves him, should still be able to defend as well as them and if Anderson and Neal can shoot high 30s to low 40s from three, then that's more valuable than the mediocre defense provided by them. Agreed; it'll have to come via trade.

Pauleta14
07-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I was excited on draft night when we picked Anderson

Good skillset, confident, agressive and will allow Manu to rest.

Besides, as Lurker23 or Timvp mentioned, he is good off the pick-n-roll, and Splitter is excellent in that area too.

I wouldnt be surprised if Pop plays them at the same time.

Why this signature Lefty!?

what a terrible memory... :bang

07-30-2010, 04:40 PM
i'm not going to really expect anderson to play good defense overnight. people thought richard jefferson would play solid defense now that he didn't have to shoulder the scoring load but that turned out to be a dud. since i have not seen anderson play against NBA caliber players, i will withhold my judgment of him. but he needs to do two things to stay on the court: play defense and make jump shots. rookies are terribly unpredictable. they could shine like blair and hill or crash and burn.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2010, 04:51 PM
One of the reasons past Spurs teams were good defensively is because they played team defense with an urgency that we've seen precious little of the last few years. I put up a stat about opponent's three pointers attempted a few days ago. You don't limit another team's three point attempts because you have a lockdown defender, you do it because every person on the floor is making that his mission.

If everyone in the organization buys into this "we're just not the same team we used to be" or "we don't have the players" mentality, then they're going to stink, and 60 percent three point shooting won't be enough to help them. There isn't any reason that this team can't play significantly better defense, even without a Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry or Fabricio Oberto on the floor. They're still capable of playing with the lockdown attitude. Throw Anderson into the rotation with an expectation that he's going to need to learn Spurs defense on the fly alongside guys that believe in Spurs defense and we all might end up surprised with how the team fares.

galvatron3000
07-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I expect Anderson to be a regular rotation guy if Pop doesn't go Larry Brown on us. I place him ahead of Neal and possibly ahead of Hill at the backup 2 if his defense is good.

Brazil
07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
lol timvp=lurker23

I guess it all started after timvp announced he would go tot he Rocky Mountain SL league games and then he couldn't go... all of a sudden... we got lurker23 starting to give us takes from the entire tournament and gr8 quality posts... mmmmmmm interesting... :wakeup

so lurker23 is a reverse troll: Timvp has created a troll to post clever and solid breakdowns. hum thats a concept

Leonard Curse
07-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I wish we could have seen some of Anderson during the SL. It just remains a big question mark. I guess well see what he can bring once the pre-season starts.

i def think that was a stealth move by poopoo and to keep him somewhat of a secret. a young kid with a hammy strain shouldnt take that long.

analyzed
07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Totally agree. Given that Anderson is likely to get significant minutes (20 min) of which 10 min will likely be played as SF to back-up RJ's 30 plus minutes. Assuming we signed a defensive oriented SF (Bowen type) what value would that provide when he would be left with less than 8 minutes playing time .

It only makes sense to get a bowen type, if we actualy will use him ( rotation guy , top 8 player) . Given that the Spurs are unlikely to make that move. The Spurs have no chocie but to fill the (bowen perimeter defender) role by commitee from the players who will get actual PT. (Hill, RJ and Anderson)

If the opositions best perimeter scorer is a SG (Kobe). Hill takes the role (primary perimeter defender). If it's a big SF (Carmelo/ Durant) RJ takes the role. Anderson defenesive assignment will be primary against 2nd team players, so that's not to much of a concern.

anonoftheinternets
07-30-2010, 05:35 PM
so lurker23 is a reverse troll: Timvp has created a troll to post clever and solid breakdowns. hum thats a concept

a reverse troll is where the owner acts like an ass. :lol along with posting quality breakdowns like you said.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
i def think that was a stealth move by poopoo and to keep him somewhat of a secret. a young kid with a hammy strain shouldnt take that long.

poopoo?

lefty
07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Why this signature Lefty!?

what a terrible memory... :bang
Why? you are German?

analyzed
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Speaking of playing the role of (bowen) defending the best perimeter player by commitee. Bowen defended multiple type of players from Steve Nash to Dirk. Here is how I see the Spurs current line-up assignment vs main Western conference scorers.

Hill guards : Nash , Deron Williams, Kobe, Roy :

RJ guards: Durant, Anthony

Splitter guards : Dirk

Libri
07-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Insightful analysis by lurker23.

Anderson and SanTiago Splitter are the two players I'm looking forward to seeing. Even Choo Choo, if he gets playing time.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Speaking of playing the role of (bowen) defending the best perimeter player by commitee. Bowen defended multiple type of players from Steve Nash to Dirk. Here is how I see the Spurs current line-up assignment vs main Western conference scorers.

I disagree. The Spurs have to guard top players by committee now. When you lose Deion you have to start sending a safety to his side again.

DesignatedT
07-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Something wrong with how Dice defended Dirk? He did the best job on him that I've seen someone do in awhile.

DPG21920
07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Look what you started, Bruno....

Anderson is still a bit of an enigma to me. I really have not seen him play very much and I don't know what to expect. Hopefully he surprises, which most Spurs draft picks usually do.

analyzed
07-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Absolutely agree Dice did an excelent job on Dirk, moving forward however with Dice's advancing age and Tiago's youth, I see Tiago taking over as primary defender against Dirk

Something wrong with how Dice defended Dirk? He did the best job on him that I've seen someone do in awhile.

DrSteffo
07-31-2010, 03:33 AM

I hope not. Nash owns Hill. Dice will defend Dirk. RJ is not a great defender and would be automatic -10 p or more.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure what to make make of Anderson either. I certainly don't agree with the assertion that the Spurs somehow stole a lottery pick. He was never in the lottery...or even close on almost every mock I saw. In fact, most mocks agreed that he would be available right around the time the Spurs picked.

One thing is for sure...Anderson is not going to get 20 MPG right out of the gates. His shooting should translate, but there are two big adjustments he will need to make. First, he will need to adjust to being a role player. He is going from being the main offensive option to third or even fourth offensive option. He will need to adjust to a system where very few plays will be run for him and he will need to learn that deferring is a better idea most of the time...as the Spurs are better when moving the ball to get the defense off balance then getting it back into the hands of one of their play makers.

The second thing has already been touched on...and that is defense, primarily team defense. He might be able to get by with being a below level man defender, but there is absolutely no reason for him to be on the floor if he cannot learn the finer points of good team defense. Anything he gives the Spurs offensively will be completely negated if he cannot rotate, trap, etc. properly. This is going to take time..as he is not a defensive minded player and was not required to do it in college, so this is the main reason I think it will be closer to mid-season before he starts to see anything in the 20 MPG range.

All of that said, I hope he can be a surprise. It's becoming more and more apparent that the Spurs are not going to have much size or experience behind Parker/Manu/Hill/RJ on the perimeter. One of the young guys is going to have to beat the learning curve a bit and take the reins as a role player. Perhaps he can be the one.

CaptainLate
07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm sure you know how to take it.

Back to the topic: Spurs only have 4 vet perimeter players (Parker, Hill, Ginobili and Jefferson). Other perimeter players (Neal, Tmeple, Jerrels, Gee and Anderson) are unproven. It's a given that at least 1 or 2 of these players will get consistent playing time.

Can we leave Jerrels out of the picture. :nope
The only way he sees PT is with the Toros.

CaptainLate
07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
One thing is for sure...Anderson is not going to get 20 MPG right out of the gates. His shooting should translate....He will need to adjust to a system where very few plays will be run for him and he will need to learn that deferring is a better idea most of the time...as the Spurs are better when moving the ball to get the defense off balance then getting it back into the hands of one of their play makers.

You don't bring a shooter like JA to the team to have him defer, regardless of whether he's a rookie or not. When Pop sends in JA, he'll tell JA that if he starts deferring when he's open, then he'll be sitting the bench.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 11:53 AM
You don't bring a shooter like JA to the team to have him defer, regardless of whether he's a rookie or not. When Pop sends in JA, he'll tell JA that if he starts deferring when he's open, then he'll be sitting the bench.
Place in my post where I said he shouldn't shoot when he is open? Go back and re-read what I said. I think you missed the point.

CaptainLate
07-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Place in my post where I said he shouldn't shoot when he is open? Go back and re-read what I said. I think you missed the point.

I didn't say you said that. My point is, rookies tend to do exactly what you said -- defer b/c they are afraid of making a mistake. They won't shoot EVEN WHEN THEY ARE OPEN. Pop will tell him to be aggressive and shoot -- AND KEEP SHOOTING. I'd much rather see him missing than Bonner.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Again...you completely missed the point of that whole paragraph. That post is the longest one I have in me today, so I don't feel like explaining further if you can't figure it out. Perhaps tomorrow.

mountainballer
07-31-2010, 01:45 PM
PG: Parker/Hill/Temple/Jerrells
SG: (Hill)/Manu/Neal/Anderson
SF: Jefferson/Gee
PF: Duncan/Blair/Bonner

good thoughts and write up as usual Lurker!:toast

still one major question open: Spurs still can (and I'm pretty sure will) sign a veteran wing. and that will be the crucial factor for Anderson's playing time.
they tried to sign either Bell and Jones this summer, even if we didn't hear much till then, it doesn't mean they stopped to try. Pop just wants a veteran in the Udoka, Bogans mold on the roster. (we shouldn't be surprised to see Bogans coming back). Anderson will fight with this veteran for minutes, if he is better (and not a liability on defense) he might get his 15-20 minutes.

DPG21920
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
If the Spurs sign a vet wing, it does not bode well for Anderson. Bogans was far from great, was sub par on defense, even worse on offense, got out played by younger guys and still started 50+ games.

I hope they don't sign any vets at this point.

Bruno
07-31-2010, 03:12 PM
still one major question open: Spurs still can (and I'm pretty sure will) sign a veteran wing. and that will be the crucial factor for Anderson's playing time.
they tried to sign either Bell and Jones this summer, even if we didn't hear much till then, it doesn't mean they stopped to try.

I also think that Spurs will go after a vet SF but the lack of rumor makes me doubt.

Spurs went after Bell then Jones and then they sign Neal. Since the Neal signing, not a single rumor. It's possible Spurs were only looking at a shooter and they get one with Neal.

TD 21
07-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but that was also before Hairston left. I could have been wrong, but I presumed he was going to fill the role Bogans did towards the end of last season. Backup SF/spot minutes/defensive specialist.

I can see the logic both ways. They could look at it and go "we're way too thin at SF and don't have a single wing capable of playing the defensive specialist role", or they could go "the market is picked bare, why waste our money and pay the tax or more tax for a minimal player who may not even be in our rotation and isn't substantially, if any better, than what we've got to play the defensive specialist role?".

They should offer Gee and a 2nd round pick for Young. In the "top 30 free agent SF" thread I explain my reasoning as to why this makes sense for both teams. Short of that or a trade of that ilk, they should probably just stand pat.

I don't want Bogans or someone similar, because then Pop will probably play them more than he should due to the fact that they're a veteran.

Whether they go into the season without an SF acquisition or not, if they're serious about winning the championship next season, at some point throughout the season they're more than likely going to have to address that spot.

Obstructed_View
07-31-2010, 03:53 PM
I didn't say you said that. My point is, rookies tend to do exactly what you said -- defer b/c they are afraid of making a mistake. They won't shoot EVEN WHEN THEY ARE OPEN. Pop will tell him to be aggressive and shoot -- AND KEEP SHOOTING. I'd much rather see him missing than Bonner.

Is one player's missed shot worth more points than another player's missed shot in your world?

DPG21920
07-31-2010, 03:55 PM
If the Spurs, after getting swept, extend Bonner, RJ and Bogans I will just have to laugh.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
If the Spurs sign a vet wing, it does not bode well for Anderson. Bogans was far from great, was sub par on defense, even worse on offense, got out played by younger guys and still started 50+ games.

I hope they don't sign any vets at this point.

I don't know. It would surely effect his minutes somewhat, but I still see Anderson getting minutes over Gee and Neal. It seems like the Spurs are pretty high on him and expect him to contribute right away. While there isn't too much to chose from, I would still feel better with that SF rotation bolstered a little bit more. Even if they wind up signing a vet who winds up losing his minutes to one of the young guys at some point, I still see a hole there that is filled with unknown potential right now. It would be nice to have a little experience there. Someone not named Bogans.

spursfaninla
07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
with RJ who played 34 minutes last season, we only need a stop-gap. Now, if we have an injury, we are hurting, that is very true.

I guess you are better off playing small but talented over bigger but flawed players, which is what the spurs get if they take any of what is left.

But otherwise, we probably just play alittle small at sf. At least we have some size now with splitter in the front court.

wildbill2u
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Lets remember that DX had him as the #7 SF in the draft.
"JAMES ANDERSON was nothing short of spectacular last season, and it shows here. His 1.07 overall PPP ranks second amongst all players, as do his 20 possessions used per-game. He was above the PPP every in every situation except for guarded catch and shoot situations, and has more experience running the pick and roll (2.9 Pos/G) than any other player on our rankings. High usage/high-efficiency players are extremely difficult to come by, and NBA teams may want to ponder if they’re missing the boat on Anderson due to the fact that he has not been spectacular in workouts. The same thing happened last year with Marcus Thornton (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Thornton-5311/).

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3503/#ixzz0vJKwvucO
http://www.draftexpress.com

analyzed
07-31-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree that JA will have to learn first before he can trully be effective, but this is where I see it being essential that he get PT (at least 15 min) to gain that expereince . We have to invest in developing him even at the expense of losing a few points due to mistakes while learning. This is where I'm not for bringing in a veteran like Bogans to compete for playing time vs Anderson. It is likely that a bogans could actually out perform Anderson due to their expereince but that does not bold well for us in the long term. The only value I see in us bringing a veteran is for insurance purposes in case of injury. I see it as counter productive however to give the Vet PT at the expense of JA.

The only other reason I would bring in a Vet, is if we get someone who is likely to be a rotation guy in the playoff. and the only way I see us getting someone of that talent level is thru trades.

I'm not sure what to make make of
One thing is for sure...Anderson is not going to get 20 MPG right out of the gates. His shooting should translate, but there are two big adjustments he will need to make. First, he will need to adjust to being a role player. He is going from being the main offensive option to third or even fourth offensive option. He will need to adjust to a system where very few plays will be run for him and he will need to learn that deferring is a better idea most of the time...as the Spurs are better when moving the ball to get the defense off balance then getting it back into the hands of one of their play makers.

The second thing has already been touched on...and that is defense, primarily team defense. He might be able to get by with being a below level man defender, but there is absolutely no reason for him to be on the floor if he cannot learn the finer points of good team defense. Anything he gives the Spurs offensively will be completely negated if he cannot rotate, trap, etc. properly. This is going to take time..as he is not a defensive minded player and was not required to do it in college, so this is the main reason I think it will be closer to mid-season before he starts to see anything in the 20 MPG range.

All of that said, I hope he can be a surprise. It's becoming more and more apparent that the Spurs are not going to have much size or experience behind Parker/Manu/Hill/RJ on the perimeter. One of the young guys is going to have to beat the learning curve a bit and take the reins as a role player. Perhaps he can be the one.

analyzed
07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Although JA was the primary scorer in college, he's not a guy who needs the ball a lot to score. He certainly can play off the ball, catch and shoot move without the ball.

He has decent size and athleticim to be a decent defender. A lot of his repuration as not being a good defender has more to do with his role in college, where he had to be saved for scoring. A lot of being a good defender is mental. And JA certainly seems to have the IQ to learn to play good team D.

FO certainly had a back-up wing as priority this off-season to fill either via FA or draft. From all indication JA is the man they are counting on to fill that need.
You simply don't waste your top 20 pick and not sign a wing FA if he is not the one you're expecting to fill the gap.

SenorSpur
07-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Great writeup and great read, Lurker.

As some have pointed out earlier, I would also be concerned if Pop elects to give minutes to Anderson at the SF position. Not because of his offense, but primarily because I believe his slight build would be a major disadvantage to him on the defensive end. As most fans know, many of the NBA's better athlete's reside at the SF position. Knowing that, I would thnik Anderson would surely struggle against some of those elite-level players - even in short stints. I just think Pop has to consider this kid more of a SG than SF.

If that does indeed turn out to be the case, that leads us back to where were started - the gaping hole at the backup SF position. If Gee is ready for prime time, perhaps the problem is solved. If he's not - "Houston, we have a problem."

ElNono
08-01-2010, 01:13 AM
I see him getting 15 mins stints in the regular season, maybe more in b2b if we're doing good and resting guys like Manu. By the time the playoffs come around though, unless he can shoot 3's at an outstanding rate, he'll be glued to the bench.

ElNono
08-01-2010, 01:19 AM

I believe that guy will be Temple. He already has some NBA experience, he played D well, and he's just more familiar with the system.

analyzed
08-01-2010, 02:28 AM
I believe that guy will be Temple. He already has some NBA experience, he played D well, and he's just more familiar with the system.

Temple ? At what position PG: behind Parker and Hill, SG : Behind manu, (Hill), AJ ,and Neal ? Anyone will be hard pressed to get minutes at both guard positions. It's at SF where a young guy has the best chance of making an impact. I'm not sure Temple can play SF effectively.

DrSteffo
08-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Great writeup and great read, Lurker.

As some have pointed out earlier, I would also be concerned if Pop elects to give minutes to Anderson at the SF position. Not because of his offense, but primarily because I believe his slight build would be a major disadvantage to him on the defensive end. As most fans know, many of the NBA's better athlete's reside at the SF position. Knowing that, I would thnik Anderson would surely struggle against some of those elite-level players - even in short stints. I just think Pop has to consider this kid more of a SG than SF.

If that does indeed turn out to be the case, that leads us back to where were started - the gaping hole at the backup SF position. If Gee is ready for prime time, perhaps the problem is solved. If he's not - "Houston, we have a problem."

This. Also some people tend to ignore the fact that those bigger nba SF is much tougher on D than what Anderson is used to. I see him as a big upgrade over Mason Jr and I'm content with him playing that role. I don't expect him to immediately shine both on O and D and I do hope we find another backup SF NOT NAMED BOGANS. I can't beleive Pop has admitted we suck on D and we have no upgrade in that department except for Splitter. We are not Golden State yet but getting closer.

TDMVPDPOY
08-01-2010, 06:16 AM
expecting him to get the same minutes as blair/hill in their first season, if his lucky he could be starting a few games if RJ pulls a dick

mountainballer
08-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure Temple can play SF effectively.

very unlikely. to small and to skinny. the 6'5'' at what he is listed are likely exaggerated. I think he is something like 6'3'' to 6'4'', combined with 180-190 lbs. good size for a PG, sufficient for a SG, insufficient for a SF by any stretch.

Brazil
08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
a reverse troll is where the owner acts like an ass. :lol along with posting quality breakdowns like you said.

u're right a full reverse troll would be KBP creating lurker23 :lol

The Truth #6
08-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I can imagine a scenario where he gets a chance early on but then because of his learning curve on defense he gets pulled back a little bit and Pop feels forced to play the vets more...experiment with small ball lineups.

I can also see Pop wanting to play Neal and Anderson with Splitter to work on the pick and roll game together because they all three seem to be very good at it. If Splitter adjusts well, then perhaps that could help the minutes of Anderson.

But for the most part I think Temple will get more minutes than many think, at a variety of positions.

ElNono
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Temple ? At what position PG: behind Parker and Hill, SG : Behind manu, (Hill), AJ ,and Neal ? Anyone will be hard pressed to get minutes at both guard positions. It's at SF where a young guy has the best chance of making an impact. I'm not sure Temple can play SF effectively.

We trotted out a lineup of Hill, Parker and Manu with Hill playing SF for stretches. As long as you can make corner-3s, it doesn't matter if you're long, or if you play defense, you'll get minutes.

OrEmuN
08-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Although JA was the primary scorer in college, he's not a guy who needs the ball a lot to score. He certainly can play off the ball, catch and shoot move without the ball.

He has decent size and athleticim to be a decent defender. A lot of his repuration as not being a good defender has more to do with his role in college, where he had to be saved for scoring. A lot of being a good defender is mental. And JA certainly seems to have the IQ to learn to play good team D.

FO certainly had a back-up wing as priority this off-season to fill either via FA or draft. From all indication JA is the man they are counting on to fill that need.
You simply don't waste your top 20 pick and not sign a wing FA if he is not the one you're expecting to fill the gap.

I am sure that watching video highlights of JA isn't the best source of information but from what limited clips that I saw, JA seems pretty good at running off-the-ball and off screens, to catch and shoot. With Manu's vision, it is likely that he will be able to put the ball into JA's hands at that right moment.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-02-2010, 12:25 AM
rofl, classic

timvp finally caught slippin and one of his long-running trolls is exposed.

ain't no way to cover up the ole' accidental switcheroo corso, bettah just roll with the punches on this one BOYS

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
08-02-2010, 01:24 AM
The Spurs are draft masters and on a roll, some hits and misses but more hits and big ones at that.

just think:
Manu
Parker
Barbosa
Salmons
Beno
Draghic, or wutever, the dude frm phoenix
Scola
Hill
Blair

and now Anderson, I expect him to be real good at Best a Derrick Anderson type player at Wrost a Courtney Lee. He's gunna be productive no doubt.