PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Dynasty (2008 Prospective)

rick1991
07-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Are the Spurs a Dynasty?

With the start of the 2008-2009 NBA season just around the corner, one question seems to be unanswered: will the Spurs solidify their dynastic status and win the NBA championship? Before the argument is presented, it is important to understand what a NBA dynasty is. An NBA dynasty is defined as a team that is able to win many championships over a brief period of time and is able to dominate year after year no matter the circumstances. It is important to note that the term dynasty has evolved over the years; back in the 1950s and 1960s, the Boston Celtics were able to win 11 championships in 13 seasons. In today’s game that is not possible because year after year teams rise and fall dramatically. Many signs say that the Spurs will be able to win; the most notable fact is that the NBA championship will be won on an odd year. The casual fan would ask, “Why does it matter that it will be an odd year?” The answer to that question is simple, since 2003, the Spurs have been able to win every other year (they won in 2003, 2005, and 2007). One can argue that the Spurs have no chance at winning it all, due to their abundant amount of veterans and the emergence of unexpected NBA powers, but after coming up short many times and being able to produce with different NBA talents, it is hard to argue that the Spurs have no chance.
An excellent gauge to measure whether a team is a dynasty, is to assess a team’s dominance over time. I remember when I was a little boy and the Spurs won their first championship in franchise history against the New York Knicks. To my surprise, nine years have past since then and the Spurs are still contending for the NBA championship year after year. The core of that team included David Robinson (“The Admiral”), Tim Duncan (“The Big Fundamental”), Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ (known for his “Memorial Day Miracle”), and Avery Johnson (“The General”). The Spurs put away the Knicks in five hard fought games, which marked the beginning of the Spurs dynasty. While attending the championship parade and observing the players, I knew that this team would be one of the elite teams in the NBA for a long time.
After three consecutive disappointing seasons, the Spurs showed that they were still a force to be reckoned with by winning NBA championships and dethroning the Los Angeles Lakers. The team only had three players from the 1999 championship run and those players were: Tim Duncan, David Robinson, and Malik Rose. One key characteristic of a dynasty is the ability to win with different players on the team. The Spurs headed into the 2003 NBA championship with the core of Duncan, Robinson, and Parker; the supporting cast included Manu Ginobili, Stephen Jackson, Bruce Bowen, and Steve Smith. After winning game one at home, the Spurs lost game two after Stephen Jackson’s potential game winning shot. With the series heading to New Jersey, the Spurs faced the adversity of winning on the road. The intensity of a championship playoff game is something that very few athletes can deal with and still be able to perform at their highest level. Being a dynasty quality team, the Spurs went back home with a 3-2 series lead. When game six begun it didn’t look like the Spurs would win, they were very sluggish and seemed as if they wanted to play a game seven. But two players on the Spurs would not settle for a loss; those two players where Stephen Jackson and Tim Duncan. Jackson (“Captain Jack”) hit three after three and seemed like the most energetic guy on the court. Jackson definitely shifted momentum in the Spurs’ favor. On that same night, Tim Duncan put up historic numbers by almost recording a quadruple double. In the last two minutes of the game, it became evident that the Spurs were going to be crowned NBA champions. After defeating New Jersey, the talks of a dynasty began to creep into the minds of many NBA fans.
With their second opportunity to repeat as NBA champions, it seemed that the Spurs had an excellent chance of doing so. After sweeping the Memphis Grizzles in the first round of the playoffs, the Spurs went on to play the battletested Lakers who under the leadership of Shaquille O’Neal, Kobe Bryant, and Phil Jackson were determined to get back to their winning ways. The Western Conference Semifinals began in San Antonio and the Spurs were able to capitalize by winning the first two games. With the series heading to Los Angeles, the Spurs had a 2-0 series lead and knew that if they could steal one in Los Angeles, they could finish the series at home. The Lakers showed why they won three titles in a row, when they tied the series at two games with the series heading to San Antonio. Game five was a pivotal game for both teams because either team could have taken the series lead. As game five progressed, most people believed that the Spurs were done; they were very sluggish and they didn’t have a will to win. The game reached the fourth quarter and the Spurs showed the heart of a champion as they came back from a double digit deficit. This poise proves that the Spurs are a dynasty because most teams would have hung their head low and gave up, but not the Spurs. With less than 10 seconds left in the game, the Spurs had an opportunity to get the lead. With the game on the line, the Spurs looked for their MVP, Tim Duncan, to not only win the game, but give them a commanding 3-2 series lead. As the clock was about to expire, Tim Duncan found himself with the ball in his hands, and he was forced to heave a jump shot over Karl Malone and Shaquille O’Neal. I specifically remember being in my living room in San Antonio and holding my breath as Duncan shot the ball. Duncan made the most clutch shot that I had seen; he made the jump shot off the backboard with just 0.4 seconds remaining in the game. This shot was absolutely unbelievable because it wasn’t Duncan’s typical signature bank shot. Not only did the Spurs go into a happy frenzy, but so did the rest of San Antonio. Unfortunately, I knew that with 0.4 seconds remaining, the Lakers would have the opportunity to win with a catch and shoot. Unable to stay calm, I stood staring at the television waiting to see what the Lakers would draw up. After a couple of timeouts, the Lakers didn’t run a play for Kobe Bryant or Shaquille O’Neal, but instead they gave the ball to Derek Fisher. Fisher came off a screen and heaved up a fade away jump shot over Manu Ginobili that gave the Lakers control of the series with the series heading back to Los Angeles. At that moment, I was almost certain that the shot would be ruled no good because I personally had no clue how it was possible for someone to catch, fade to the side, and shoot all in 0.4 seconds. For a moment I thought that the game was rigged. After the game, the Spurs were in a state of shock and their fans were struck with utter disappointment. All I could say was “what if Duncan made the shot with 0.3 seconds left instead of 0.4?” If 0.3 seconds were left, it would have been impossible to get off a shot. After the game Shaq justified the Lakers’ win by saying “One great shot deserves another.” To this day, I remember how that game prevented the Spurs from winning that year. There is no doubt in my mind that if Fisher missed that shot, the Spurs would have repeated as champions. The repeat would have solidified their dynastic status. Long story short, the Spurs lost the 2004 NBA championship off one lucky shot.
In the 2005 playoffs the Spurs experienced many ups and downs. In the first round of the playoffs, the Spurs lost game one at home against the Denver Nuggets. The loss was obviously disappointing because the majority of teams that win game one win the series. Clearly, the Nuggets had the momentum heading into game two mostly because the Spurs didn’t make the most of their opportunity of imposing their will on a younger team. The Spurs responded not only in game two, but also in the series. After losing game one, the Spurs went on a terror by winning four in a row, thus clinching the series. In round two, the Spurs faced the explosive, high- scoring Seattle Supersonics. After winning the first two games at home, the Spurs faced the same scenario as the 2004 playoffs; they had to win on the road to avoid a series tie. Well, no one ever said that the road to the championship would be easy, but a team that considers themselves a dynasty gets the job done. The Spurs went to Seattle and lost both games, and had to respond by winning at home. Knowing that a victory would bring them closer to a championship, the Spurs won game five giving them a 3-2 series lead. The Sonics found themselves with their backs against the wall, but they were unable to respond when Ray Allen launched a desperation three pointer that would have tied the series and forced a decisive game seven. The Spurs went on to play a very tough, offensive minded Phoenix Suns team that was led by their MVP Steve Nash and Coach Mike D’Antoni. Before the series began, the Spurs had to make a decision on whether to play the Sun’s style or to slow the game down and play in a half-court set. I was at game one of the series and to my surprise, the Spurs played Phoenix’s style and they were able to execute to perfection. The U.S. Airways Center was very hostile and having said that, I was surprised to see the Spurs win the first two games in Phoenix and go on to win the series in five games. In the NBA Finals, the Spurs faced the Detroit Pistons, who were looking to repeat as champions. After a poor start in game one, the Spurs were able to take control of the game with the frantic play of Manu Ginobili and win the first two games of the series. With a 2-0 series lead, the Spurs went to Detroit with hopes of wrapping up the series, but little did they know that they were going to face a desperate Piston team and a desperate, chaotic crowd. The Palace of Auburn Hills during the Pistons three game home stand was probably the most hostile environment that this group of Spurs has ever played in. Since the Spurs had no sense of urgency they were blown out in the first two games in Detroit. After embarrassing losses in games three and four, it didn’t seem like the Spurs had a chance to win the series; all the momentum was in Detroit’s favor. Both teams now were back to square one with the series tied at two games apiece. The Spurs had to use their mental toughness and the leadership of their experienced veterans to get them through the series and win another championship. Game five was a hard fought battle between both teams, but the Spurs came out on top because of “Big Shot Bob’s” heroics. Robert Horry gave the Spurs the victory after hitting a clutch three point shot and springing out of his shoes for an outrageous dunk that gave the Spurs a one point lead with little time remaining. The Spurs found themselves with a 3-2 series lead heading back to San Antonio with two opportunities to crown themselves champions in front of their home crowd. The Spurs now had two opportunities to close out the series, but the Pistons were not just going to hand over the NBA championship to the Spurs. The Spurs lost game six and were forced to play the last possible game of the season – game seven of the NBA finals. Game seven received a lot of hype and rightfully so. Before the game, many critics questioned the Spurs’ mental toughness and Tim Duncan’s ability to perform under pressure. Some analyst even believed that Duncan, a two-time MVP, would have a mental breakdown. The Spurs responded to the criticism like NBA champions or like a team destined to be a dynasty. With their philosophy of playing tough defense, the Spurs won game seven and won their third championship in six years. After winning their third championship, many felt that the Spurs were still not a NBA dynasty.
In 2006 the Spurs suffered a devastating game seven loss in overtime to the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference Semifinals. The Spurs were very fortunate to make it to a game seven given that they were down 3-1 in the series. In that same game, the Spurs rallied back from a 20 point deficit to force overtime where they didn’t have enough energy to pullout the victory. The Spurs took a three point lead in the last minute of the game (their only lead of the game), but after Coach Gregg Popovich told his team to not foul in any circumstance, Manu Ginobili, the same guy who gave the Spurs a lead also let the Mavs tie the game with Dirk Nowitzki’s three point play. After the Spurs lost this series, many people believed that the Spurs dominance was over, that they were too old, and they needed to rebuild.
The next year the Spurs would answer all of their critics by winning the championship that year. In the first round of the playoffs, the Spurs defeated the high scoring Denver Nuggets in five games. In that series, the Spurs faced a similar situation by losing the first game of the series and winning the next four. Many people believed that the Spurs had quickly dug themselves into a hole because the Denver Nuggets were led by a superstar duo of Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, but once again the Spurs showed their resilience. To win the championship, the Spurs had to face their rival, the Phoenix Suns. The series with the Suns was very intense and emotional; in game four the Spurs and Suns nearly settled things by fighting. Most NBA dynasties are very physical teams and the Spurs proved this in the series against the Suns (Sun’s fans know all about “Cheap Shot Bob”). After game four, it became evident that the series would be won by the team that had the most mental toughness. The Spurs won the Phoenix series and breezed by the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference Finals. When the Spurs went into the Finals they were heavily favored because they were facing a team that wasn’t nearly as talented as the Nuggets, Suns, or Jazz. To top it all off, the Cavaliers were a very young team, while the Spurs were loaded with veterans that were hungry to win. In that series, the Spurs main focus was to shut down Lebron James (“King James”), and by doing so, they swept the Cleveland Cavaliers and won their fourth championship in eight years.
After winning so many championships in such a short period of time, there is no doubt in my mind that the Spurs are a NBA dynasty. What else do they have to do to become a dynasty? They were nearly crowned NBA champions 50% of the time in a span of ten years. Every time their ability is questioned, the Spurs always respond and prove all their nonbelievers wrong. After all the definition of a dynasty has evolved since the glory days of the Boston Celtics; there is no way you can expect a team to win ten championships in thirteen years. One characteristic that has remained similar with all dynasties is: excellent roster management and superior leadership by hall of fame personal. The Spurs have both those characteristics by drafting both Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in the second round of NBA drafts and following the leadership of Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich. If the Spurs are not considered a dynasty now, they will be if they win the NBA championship this year. This year they have a good chance of winning (as long as they stay healthy) due to the additions of Roger Mason Jr. and George Hill. With a healthy big three of Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, the rest of the NBA better watch out because the Spurs are a dynasty that will not go down easily.

TD 21
07-31-2010, 11:59 AM
At that moment, I was almost certain that the shot would be ruled no good because I personally had no clue how it was possible for someone to catch, fade to the side, and shoot all in 0.4 seconds. For a moment I thought that the game was rigged.

The writer of this forgot one thing: that play was going to decide, if not the championship, then certainly who represented the West in the Finals. On the one hand, you had the Lakers, the league's marquee franchise; on the other hand, you had the Spurs, the league's ratings killers. It was obvious which way the call was going to go, even though it is impossible for someone to catch, fade to the side, and shoot all in 0.4 seconds; even in one motion.

After winning so many championships in such a short period of time, there is no doubt in my mind that the Spurs are a NBA dynasty. What else do they have to do to become a dynasty? They were nearly crowned NBA champions 50% of the time in a span of ten years. Every time their ability is questioned, the Spurs always respond and prove all their nonbelievers wrong. After all the definition of a dynasty has evolved since the glory days of the Boston Celtics; there is no way you can expect a team to win ten championships in thirteen years.

Exactly. If the Spurs had had the same run of excellence they've had, but had it in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Boston, etc., no one would claim otherwise.

21_Blessings
07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Are the Spurs a Dynasty?

No repeat no dynasty.

Them's the breaks.

Just be happy the Spurs snuck a couple in while the Lakers were rebuilding on the fly.

Shastafarian
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM
No repeat no dynasty.

Them's the breaks.

Just be happy the Spurs snuck a couple in while the Lakers were rebuilding on the fly.

http://i46.tinypic.com/i1jwhy.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
07-31-2010, 01:32 PM
03/04 season had we beatened the lakers, no team left in the west was going to stop us advancing to the finals to repeat...

yes this included the overrated wolves team with mvp KG....who i think the spurs wouldve swept 4-0 under the carpet

21_Blessings
07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
03/04 season had we beatened the lakers,

Well,

mingus
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Lakers fans hate for Spurs is neverending lmao. keep drinking that hatade y'all. we'll shut down staples this year, just like we sent the forum into oblivian.

wut
07-31-2010, 05:30 PM
http://th04.deviantart.com/fs38/300W/i/2008/322/6/c/Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg

Russ
07-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Are the Spurs a Dynasty?

With the start of the 2008-2009 NBA season just around the corner, one question seems to be unanswered: will the Spurs solidify their dynastic status and win the NBA championship? Before the argument is presented, it is important to understand what a NBA dynasty is.

An NBA dynasty is defined as a team that is able to win many championships over a brief period of time and is able to dominate year after year no matter the circumstances. It is important to note that the term dynasty has evolved over the years; back in the 1950s and 1960s, the Boston Celtics were able to win 11 championships in 13 seasons.

In today’s game that is not possible because year after year teams rise and fall dramatically.

Many signs say that the Spurs will be able to win; the most notable fact is that the NBA championship will be won on an odd year. The casual fan would ask, “Why does it matter that it will be an odd year?” The answer to that question is simple, since 2003, the Spurs have been able to win every other year (they won in 2003, 2005, and 2007).

One can argue that the Spurs have no chance at winning it all, due to their abundant amount of veterans and the emergence of unexpected NBA powers, but after coming up short many times and being able to produce with different NBA talents, it is hard to argue that the Spurs have no chance.

An excellent gauge to measure whether a team is a dynasty, is to assess a team’s dominance over time. I remember when I was a little boy and the Spurs won their first championship in franchise history against the New York Knicks. To my surprise, nine years have past since then and the Spurs are still contending for the NBA championship year after year. The core of that team included David Robinson (“The Admiral”), Tim Duncan (“The Big Fundamental”),Sean E. (known for his “Memorial Day Miracle”), and Avery Johnson (“The General”).

The Spurs put away the Knicks in five hard fought games, which marked the beginning of the Spurs dynasty. While attending the championship parade and observing the players, I knew that this team would be one of the elite teams in the NBA for a long time.

After three consecutive disappointing seasons, the Spurs showed that they were still a force to be reckoned with by winning NBA championships and dethroning the Los Angeles Lakers. The team only had three players from the 1999 championship run and those players were: Tim Duncan, David Robinson, and Malik Rose.

One key characteristic of a dynasty is the ability to win with different players on the team. The Spurs headed into the 2003 NBA championship with the core of Duncan, Robinson, and Parker; the supporting cast included Manu Ginobili, Stephen Jackson, Bruce Bowen, and Steve Smith. After winning game one at home, the Spurs lost game two after Stephen Jackson’s potential game winning shot. With the series heading to New Jersey, the Spurs faced the adversity of winning on the road. The intensity of a championship playoff game is something that very few athletes can deal with and still be able to perform at their highest level. Being a dynasty quality team, the Spurs went back home with a 3-2 series lead. When game six begun it didn’t look like the Spurs would win, they were very sluggish and seemed as if they wanted to play a game seven.

But two players on the Spurs would not settle for a loss; those two players where Stephen Jackson and Tim Duncan. Jackson (“Captain Jack”) hit three after three and seemed like the most energetic guy on the court. Jackson definitely shifted momentum in the Spurs’ favor. On that same night, Tim Duncan put up historic numbers by almost recording a quadruple double. In the last two minutes of the game, it became evident that the Spurs were going to be crowned NBA champions.

After defeating New Jersey, the talks of a dynasty began to creep into the minds of many NBA fans. With their second opportunity to repeat as NBA champions, it seemed that the Spurs had an excellent chance of doing so. After sweeping the Memphis Grizzles in the first round of the playoffs, the Spurs went on to play the battletested Lakers who under the leadership of Shaquille O’Neal, Kobe Bryant, and Phil Jackson were determined to get back to their winning ways. The Western Conference Semifinals began in San Antonio and the Spurs were able to capitalize by winning the first two games. With the series heading to Los Angeles, the Spurs had a 2-0 series lead and knew that if they could steal one in Los Angeles, they could finish the series at home. The Lakers showed why they won three titles in a row, when they tied the series at two games with the series heading to San Antonio.

Game five was a pivotal game for both teams because either team could have taken the series lead. As game five progressed, most people believed that the Spurs were done; they were very sluggish and they didn’t have a will to win. The game reached the fourth quarter and the Spurs showed the heart of a champion as they came back from a double digit deficit. This poise proves that the Spurs are a dynasty because most teams would have hung their head low and gave up, but not the Spurs. With less than 10 seconds left in the game, the Spurs had an opportunity to get the lead. With the game on the line, the Spurs looked for their MVP, Tim Duncan, to not only win the game, but give them a commanding 3-2 series lead. As the clock was about to expire, Tim Duncan found himself with the ball in his hands, and he was forced to heave a jump shot over Karl Malone and Shaquille O’Neal. I specifically remember being in my living room in San Antonio and holding my breath as Duncan shot the ball. Duncan made the most clutch shot that I had seen; he made the jump shot off the backboard with just 0.4 seconds remaining in the game. This shot was absolutely unbelievable because it wasn’t Duncan’s typical signature bank shot. Not only did the Spurs go into a happy frenzy, but so did the rest of San Antonio.

Unfortunately, I knew that with 0.4 seconds remaining, the Lakers would have the opportunity to win with a catch and shoot. Unable to stay calm, I stood staring at the television waiting to see what the Lakers would draw up. After a couple of timeouts, the Lakers didn’t run a play for Kobe Bryant or Shaquille O’Neal, but instead they gave the ball to Derek Fisher. Fisher came off a screen and heaved up a fade away jump shot over Manu Ginobili that gave the Lakers control of the series with the series heading back to Los Angeles. At that moment, I was almost certain that the shot would be ruled no good because I personally had no clue how it was possible for someone to catch, fade to the side, and shoot all in 0.4 seconds. [Editorial comment -- that's right.]

For a moment I thought that the game was rigged. [Yep] After the game, the Spurs were in a state of shock and their fans were struck with utter disappointment. All I could say was “what if Duncan made the shot with 0.3 seconds left instead of 0.4?” If 0.3 seconds were left, it would have been impossible to get off a shot. After the game Shaq justified the Lakers’ win by saying “One great shot deserves another.”

To this day, I remember how that game prevented the Spurs from winning that year. There is no doubt in my mind that if Fisher missed that shot, the Spurs would have repeated as champions. The repeat would have solidified their dynastic status. Long story short, the Spurs lost the 2004 NBA championship off one lucky shot.

In the 2005 playoffs the Spurs experienced many ups and downs. In the first round of the playoffs, the Spurs lost game one at home against the Denver Nuggets. The loss was obviously disappointing because the majority of teams that win game one win the series. Clearly, the Nuggets had the momentum heading into game two mostly because the Spurs didn’t make the most of their opportunity of imposing their will on a younger team. The Spurs responded not only in game two, but also in the series. After losing game one, the Spurs went on a terror by winning four in a row, thus clinching the series.

In round two, the Spurs faced the explosive, high- scoring Seattle Supersonics. After winning the first two games at home, the Spurs faced the same scenario as the 2004 playoffs; they had to win on the road to avoid a series tie. Well, no one ever said that the road to the championship would be easy, but a team that considers themselves a dynasty gets the job done. The Spurs went to Seattle and lost both games, and had to respond by winning at home. Knowing that a victory would bring them closer to a championship, the Spurs won game five giving them a 3-2 series lead. The Sonics found themselves with their backs against the wall, but they were unable to respond when Ray Allen launched a desperation three pointer that would have tied the series and forced a decisive game seven.

The Spurs went on to play a very tough, offensive minded Phoenix Suns team that was led by their MVP Steve Nash and Coach Mike D’Antoni. Before the series began, the Spurs had to make a decision on whether to play the Sun’s style or to slow the game down and play in a half-court set. I was at game one of the series and to my surprise, the Spurs played Phoenix’s style and they were able to execute to perfection. The U.S. Airways Center was very hostile and having said that, I was surprised to see the Spurs win the first two games in Phoenix and go on to win the series in five games.

In the NBA Finals, the Spurs faced the Detroit Pistons, who were looking to repeat as champions. After a poor start in game one, the Spurs were able to take control of the game with the frantic play of Manu Ginobili and win the first two games of the series. With a 2-0 series lead, the Spurs went to Detroit with hopes of wrapping up the series, but little did they know that they were going to face a desperate Piston team and a desperate, chaotic crowd. The Palace of Auburn Hills during the Pistons three game home stand was probably the most hostile environment that this group of Spurs has ever played in.

Since the Spurs had no sense of urgency they were blown out in the first two games in Detroit. After embarrassing losses in games three and four, it didn’t seem like the Spurs had a chance to win the series; all the momentum was in Detroit’s favor. Both teams now were back to square one with the series tied at two games apiece.

The Spurs had to use their mental toughness and the leadership of their experienced veterans to get them through the series and win another championship. Game five was a hard fought battle between both teams, but the Spurs came out on top because of “Big Shot Bob’s” heroics. Robert Horry gave the Spurs the victory after hitting a clutch three point shot and springing out of his shoes for an outrageous dunk that gave the Spurs a one point lead with little time remaining.

The Spurs found themselves with a 3-2 series lead heading back to San Antonio with two opportunities to crown themselves champions in front of their home crowd. The Spurs now had two opportunities to close out the series, but the Pistons were not just going to hand over the NBA championship to the Spurs. The Spurs lost game six and were forced to play the last possible game of the season – game seven of the NBA finals.

Game seven received a lot of hype and rightfully so. Before the game, many critics questioned the Spurs’ mental toughness and Tim Duncan’s ability to perform under pressure. Some analyst even believed that Duncan, a two-time MVP, would have a mental breakdown. The Spurs responded to the criticism like NBA champions or like a team destined to be a dynasty. With their philosophy of playing tough defense, the Spurs won game seven and won their third championship in six years. After winning their third championship, many felt that the Spurs were still not a NBA dynasty.

In 2006 the Spurs suffered a devastating game seven loss in overtime to the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference Semifinals. The Spurs were very fortunate to make it to a game seven given that they were down 3-1 in the series. In that same game, the Spurs rallied back from a 20 point deficit to force overtime where they didn’t have enough energy to pullout the victory. The Spurs took a three point lead in the last minute of the game (their only lead of the game), but after Coach Gregg Popovich told his team to not foul in any circumstance, Manu Ginobili, the same guy who gave the Spurs a lead also let the Mavs tie the game with Dirk Nowitzki’s three point play. After the Spurs lost this series, many people believed that the Spurs dominance was over, that they were too old, and they needed to rebuild. [I did.]

The next year the Spurs would answer all of their critics by winning the championship[]. In the first round of the playoffs, the Spurs defeated the high scoring Denver Nuggets in five games. In that series, the Spurs faced a similar situation by losing the first game of the series and winning the next four. Many people believed that the Spurs had quickly dug themselves into a hole because the Denver Nuggets were led by a superstar duo of Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, but once again the Spurs showed their resilience.

To win the championship, the Spurs had to face their rival, the Phoenix Suns. The series with the Suns was very intense and emotional; in game four the Spurs and Suns nearly settled things by fighting. Most NBA dynasties are very physical teams and the Spurs proved this in the series against the Suns (Sun’s fans know all about “Cheap Shot Bob”). After game four, it became evident that the series would be won by the team that had the most mental toughness. The Spurs won the Phoenix series and breezed by the Utah Jazz in the Western Conference Finals.

When the Spurs went into the Finals they were heavily favored because they were facing a team that wasn’t nearly as talented as the Nuggets, Suns, or Jazz. To top it all off, the Cavaliers were a very young team, while the Spurs were loaded with veterans that were hungry to win. In that series, the Spurs main focus was to shut down Lebron James (“King James”), and by doing so, they swept the Cleveland Cavaliers and won their fourth championship in eight years.

After winning so many championships in such a short period of time, there is no doubt in my mind that the Spurs are a NBA dynasty. What else do they have to do to become a dynasty? They were nearly crowned NBA champions 50% of the time in a span of ten years. Every time their ability is questioned, the Spurs always respond and prove all their nonbelievers wrong. After all, the definition of a dynasty has evolved since the glory days of the Boston Celtics; there is no way you can expect a team to win ten championships in thirteen years.

One characteristic that has remained similar with all dynasties is: excellent roster management and superior leadership by hall of fame personal. The Spurs have both those characteristics by drafting both Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in the second round of NBA drafts and following the leadership of Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich.

If the Spurs are not considered a dynasty now, they will be if they win the NBA championship this year. This year they have a good chance of winning (as long as they stay healthy) due to the additions of Roger Mason Jr. [Mulligan, no problem] and George Hill. With a healthy big three of Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, the rest of the NBA better watch out because the Spurs are a dynasty that will not go down easily.

[Editorial coment. :clap:clap:clap]

rick1991
07-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I wrote this article and I am wondering if anyone believes that I have a future in this type of writing?

Sean Cagney
08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
No repeat no dynasty.

Them's the breaks.

Go to a Lakers board... :rolleyes