PDA

View Full Version : Artest switches jersey number again

KoriEllis
09-29-2004, 04:11 AM
By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
September 29, 2004

www.indystar.com/articles...0-036.html (http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/182369-4650-036.html)

Some athletes collect jerseys. Ron Artest collects jersey numbers.

The Indiana Pacers forward will wear No. 91 this season, his third set of digits since joining the NBA five years ago. It's all part of his plan to wear as many numbers as possible before he retires.

"When I look back on my career, I want to have a lot of jerseys," he said. "I'll have a collection. It's going to be fun. I like to do things creative."

The league has no rule on how often a player can change numbers, although it is considering adopting one. Players may change at the league's discretion if they make a request by Aug. 15.

"It's unlikely we would allow a player to change his number repeatedly," spokesman Tim Frank said.

Artest's change could prove profitable for the Pacers' merchandising department, which sells replica jerseys. His old No. 23 jersey is being sold at a 25 percent discount; it will go for a 50 percent discount if any remain after preseason play begins.

The No. 91 jersey will be available during the preseason, according to the Pacers' merchandising director, Rich Kapp. All player jerseys cost $50 for a screen printed replica and $175 for an authentic model.

Artest wore No. 15 in high school, college and his first three NBA seasons. That was an indirect tribute to his father, who wore No. 51 in high school. Now he's focused on honoring members of Chicago's championship teams, his favorites while growing up.

He wore No. 23 the past two seasons as a tribute to Michael Jordan. His switch to 91 honors Dennis Rodman. He is thinking of wearing No. 5 (John Paxson) and 25 (Steve Kerr) in future seasons but doesn't count out trying something less traditional.

Artest said he wants to honor Rodman's defense and hustle, not the behavior that brought fines and suspensions.

"A lot of people liked Rodman as a player, but they don't act like Rodman," Artest said. "I'm one of those people. I liked Rodman on the court, as a hustler. Not when he kicked the cameraman."

Tommy Duncan
09-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Allow me to be the first to ask: so when does he start dieing his hair?

Also, when will he pay tribute to Bill Wennington and Will Perdue?

Useruser666
09-29-2004, 11:01 AM
What was Jack Haley's number again?

Useruser666 :eyebrow

exstatic
09-29-2004, 01:27 PM
One per personality...

IcemanCometh
09-29-2004, 02:46 PM
You're crazy. I like you, but you're crazy

ShoogarBear
09-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Actually, I give Artest props for this one. It's a fun idea.

KoriEllis
09-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It's pretty cool.

pooh
09-30-2004, 06:51 PM
I guess they haven't gotten the message yet about Artest being number #91.