PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee vs Anderson Silva

CubanSucks
07-31-2010, 05:30 AM
I don't even know where to begin with this. First of all, a few hours ago a couple of my friends were talking about Bruce Lee and how amazing and fast he is. So the natural arguer that I am, I had to say "yeah but let's see how he'd do against mixed martial artists". Arguing ensued between the 3 of us (two against me) for the next 30 min or so. Seeing as how I think Anderson Silva is the best in MMA, the argument naturally narrowed down to Anderson Silva vs Bruce Lee. I don't even want to get into any of the details cause it'll start pissing me off again

CubanSucks
07-31-2010, 05:33 AM
Pretty much, the point of this poll is to make me feel better. Don't let me down

dbreiden83080
07-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Bruce Lee wins with a cameo from Chuck Norris...

-2sTawLSNUQ

Rip-Hamilton32
07-31-2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiBA0lS_lwg

Johnny RIngo
07-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Silva obviously. Bruce Lee was an actor/movie star, not a competitor.

dbreiden83080
07-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Silva obviously. Bruce Lee was an actor/movie star, not a competitor.

He was also a street-fighter that actually had tons of fights against martial artists that would challenge him all the time..

CubanSucks
07-31-2010, 08:57 PM
With these results, I regret ever making this thread. Let me ask another question, do you think anyone in MMA can beat Bruce Lee? If so, then who?

dbreiden83080
07-31-2010, 09:26 PM
With these results, I regret ever making this thread?

LOL

You expected a clean sweep for Bruce..

dallaskd
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Someone give me videos of Lee in legitimate fights against world class athletes with rules. Im not sure Bruce Lee knows any Jiu Jitsu...

dallaskd
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Bruce Lee was a great martial artist/street fighter. That means nothing in a MMA fight. He would probably be great in the early UFCs. But put GSP in his time and Georges gets the same treatment. People treat Lee as if he is some man-god. He was human. I believe Anderson can beat anyone ever at his weight in a MMA fight until I see further proof Bruce Lee is a complete fighter.

dallaskd
07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
btw.. Bruce Lee would be a LW in the UFC..

dallaskd
07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
TWZBSBab-Es

"he would lose"

-Bas Rutten

SpursTillTheEnd
07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
is this even a fucking question no one in mms could touch bruce lee no one bruce woud put them hands on brock, only way they beat bruce is by holding him down

SpursTillTheEnd
07-31-2010, 10:16 PM
TWZBSBab-Es

"he would lose"

-Bas Rutten
smh..... yea if they hold himdown but none f that tackling shit bruce wuld fuck any mma nigga up

cornbread
07-31-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree with dallaskd. Most if not all of Bruce Lee's fighting history is told through word of mouth which lends itself to exageration or even fabrication. He doesn't have much of competition history either. I think he actually won a boxing tournament, but otherwise he didn't really compete much and competition is what up stands up as the years go by.

A young Van Damme probably could have done pretty well in MMA if he crossed trained. He had a sick kickboxing record and KOed lots of guys.

cornbread
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh, to the answer the question, Anderson Silva would win 10 out of 10 times.

SpursTillTheEnd
07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
dallaskd come on now man before bruce lee was a actor he was whopping the best fighters in the world in karate tournaments

just look at how fast mutherfucking bruce lee was do you really think silva could keep up hell no

C9GRApeZ

SpursTillTheEnd
07-31-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree with dallaskd. Most if not all of Bruce Lee's fighting history is told through word of mouth
this.... dumbest shit ive ever heard, nigga just go on youtube and look up bruce lee tournament fights he would kill silva

SpursTillTheEnd
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
we could goall night arguin this shit but you mma fans to stubborn to realize the truth, aight let me ask yall this question, how could silve beat bruce lee if niggas from wwe can just come in to mma and beat everybody? dont get it twisted just cause bruce was in movies that man came up fighting the best of the bet

ace3g
07-31-2010, 10:32 PM
This is like could the classic Celtics/Lakers teams beat the teams in today's era and vice versa; There is no way of knowing so the debate is meaningless

cornbread
07-31-2010, 10:34 PM
this.... dumbest shit ive ever heard, nigga just go on youtube and look up bruce lee tournament fights he would kill silva

Some legends are so strong that they'll lead people to believe in youtube videos that don't exist.

cornbread
07-31-2010, 10:58 PM
This is like could the classic Celtics/Lakers teams beat the teams in today's era and vice versa; There is no way of knowing so the debate is meaningless

Not really the same since both teams have an actual competition history and footage to measure by.

It's pointless to compare Bruce Lee to professional fighters because there's nothing really to compare. There's no footage of him fighting, unless you count movies. He didn't compete. He didn't have a fighting record. It's all the word of the people who were close to him and his students--and anybody who's ever trained a day martial arts in their lives knows that people tend to view their instructor as the baddest man who walks the earth.

I'm not saying that Bruce Lee wasn't a badass. His ideas revolutionized martial arts. But to confidently say that he could beat a guy who is the most dominant martials arts competitor in the world (and who outweighs him by 60 lbs or more) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

CubanSucks
07-31-2010, 11:00 PM
LOL

You expected a clean sweep for Bruce..

Nope. Other way around (you were being sarcastic weren't you). But seriously, anyone who voted for Bruce Lee answer my question. Who in MMA do you think could beat him, if anyone?

BlackSwordsMan
07-31-2010, 11:00 PM
anderson would flying head scissors throw bruce lee to the ground and sub his ass

BlackSwordsMan
07-31-2010, 11:01 PM

Please show me the footage of bruce lee hitting something that isn't standing still

CubanSucks
07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Not really the same since both teams have an actual competition history and footage to measure by.

It's pointless to compare Bruce Lee to professional fighters because there's nothing really to compare. There's no footage of him fighting, unless you count movies. He didn't compete. He didn't have a fighting record. It's all the word of the people who were close to him and his students--and anybody who's ever trained a day martial arts in their lives knows that people tend to view their instructor as the baddest man who walks the earth.

I'm not saying that Bruce Lee wasn't a badass. His ideas revolutionized martial arts. But to confidently say that he could beat a guy who is the most dominant martials arts competitor in the world (and who outweighs him by 60 lbs or more) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

This was the most annoying part of our argument. Eventually I just said, "well what about the fact that he's just flat out bigger and has reach?" Their annoying fucking reply to that was the cliche, "yeah but dude, more mass just means he's that much slower"

cornbread
07-31-2010, 11:06 PM
This was the most annoying part of our argument. Eventually I just said, "well what about the fact that he's just flat out bigger and has reach?" Their annoying fucking reply to that was the cliche, "yeah but dude, more mass just means he's that much slower"

LOL, yeah because being slowed down mass is a problem that has plagued Silva's career.

CubanSucks
07-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Please show me the footage of bruce lee hitting something that isn't standing still

And this was the funniest part of our argument. The whole time they wouldn't stop bringing up his infamous 'one inch punch'. So they youtube it and I'll admit I was getting nervous about how legit this was. HE PRACTICALLY FUCKING PUSHES THE GUY AND OF COURSE HE FALLS BACK!

BlackSwordsMan
07-31-2010, 11:17 PM
board dont hit back!

cornbread
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Bruce skill level and technique is much more advanced that Van Damme and Chuck Norris. In fact Norris looks like an amateur compared to Bruce. I honestly think it's physically impossible to gain that level of technique without being able to truly fight. Could Bruce take a punch, we don't know because we don't have that footage, but Bruce actually competed in High School and was obviously good enough to open a few Martial Arts Studios to train other people.

When I look at the skill level of Bruce compared to World Professional Champs like Billy Blanks, Chuck Norris, and Van Damme, those guys look like amateurs to compare to Bruce.

"Lee appeared at the 1967 Long Beach International Karate Championships and performed various demonstrations, including the famous "unstoppable punch" against USKA world Karate champion Vic Moore.[30] Lee told Moore that he was going to throw a straight punch to the face, and all he had to do was to try and block it. Lee took several steps back and asked if Moore was ready, when Moore nodded in affirmation, Lee glided towards him until he was within striking range. He then threw a straight punch directly at Moore's face, and stopped before impact. In eight attempts, Moore failed to" block any of the punches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee

Lots of martial artists can make their technique look incredible in a non-combative situation. That doesn't necessarily always translate to an actual fight. Early NHB and vale tudo competitions opened our eyes to that.

The difference between Bruce Lee and guys like Chuck Norris, Van Damme, Billy Blanks, Don "the Dragon" Wilson and Benny "the Jet" Uriquedez is that those guys left less up to question. They proved what they were capable of against real opponents and it's chronicled.

And I'm not a Bruce Lee hater. I'm a huge fan. I own his movies and I've read "Tao of Jeet Kune Do." I just think his place in fighting/martial arts history should be that of one of the most revolutionary and influential martists of all time--not the greatest fighter that ever lived.

cornbread
07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
I'd rather see Benny the Jet against Silva. He would stand a good chance. Besides being a dominant kickboxer, he actually trained with Judo Gene Lebell (check out the hip toss at 2:08) so he had a Judo game and some ground game. Word is that Benny the Jet accepted the Gracie Challenge back in the day and the Gracies didn't take him up on it.

AN0d9jBWf7M

cornbread
08-01-2010, 12:07 AM
I don't give Bruce the title of greatest fighter either
I didn't mean that you said that, but that a lot of people hold him in that regard.

dbreiden83080
08-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Wow this turned into quite the debate

I love it..

dbreiden83080
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Nope. Other way around (you were being sarcastic weren't you)

I honestly wasn't sure what you were driving at? But people got into this thread so it's cool.. :toast

Riles04
08-01-2010, 12:51 PM
is this even a real ?

CubanSucks
08-01-2010, 01:51 PM
is this even a real ?

I didn't think it was until these poll results!!! So shut the fuck up and vote for Anderson!

dallaskd
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Lee didnt do very many tournaments. He did demonstrations. Again.. Show me fights.. Real fights..

dbreiden83080
08-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Lee didnt do very many tournaments. He did demonstrations. Again.. Show me fights.. Real fights..

Dallas you're taking this a tad serious..

dallaskd
08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
is this even a fucking question no one in mms could touch bruce lee no one bruce woud put them hands on brock, only way they beat bruce is by holding him down

Are you kidding? Bruce would be a LW in the UFC. Brock Lesnar would steamroll over Bruce Lee. He wouldnt be able to knock him out. A guy that small just doesnt have the power im sorry.

What you're missing is, what Bruce Lee did cannot be compared to a modern all around mma athlete like Georges St. Pierre. Bruce Lee was a street fighter. He would not be good in a fight that had him bound by rules. If you gave Bruce 2 years of ground game he is no doubt the UFC LW champion. But straight up vs Anderson Silva is a terrible match up. Silva dwarfs him and owns him in many aspects of fighting Lee was never taught.

Again stop treating him like a man-god. He was human. Put Anderson in his time and Silva gets the same treatment. Alot like Gracie in the early UFC but in modern mma, you have to be the best in every aspect to dominate. Lee would manhandled by a guy like Overeem if you're saying size doesnt matter.

Bruce Lee was the greatest martial artist of all time and a pioneer. But in a MMA fight vs Anderson Silva is a terrible matchup for him unless he had the proper ground training and even then it is a bad fight for him. Think about it.. I dont care how amazing and talented he was.. you are still putting a LW fighter against Anderson fucking Silva.. Get real dude.

BlackSwordsMan
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
jean claude van dam > brock lesnar

dbreiden83080
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
jean claude van dam > brock lesnar

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/Irenicus_2006/01188f1177154eedbce8b92cd88cf7241.gif

ace3g
08-02-2010, 01:04 AM
From Jon "Bones" Jones website: (So this is coming from the future of UFC and one of the brightest stars in MMA)

SK: A lot of people call you an unorthodox fighter. I don’t know if it’s because of the crazy strikes or the Greco-Roman base, but do you consider yourself to be unorthodox and do you think that has helped you?

JJ: Yeah, definitely. I don’t necessarily consider myself unorthodox. I’m more into Bruce Lee’s line of thinking; the best way is to have no way, and while I’m out there I try to keep that in mind, so I can’t really say that I’m a boxer or a Thai fighter—I try to use techniques from every style of fighting and I think that helps a lot. When a guy is in a training camp for me he has a lot to think about—spinning back kicks and elbows, Tae Kwon Do kicks, the throws—so yeah I just really try to incorporate the thought of having no way, and it’s really helped me out tremendously.

SK: Well the reason I brought them up—people like St-Pierre and Machida, and you mentioned Bruce Lee—there doesn’t seem to be too many fighters who really treat this as martial arts. If you go to certain MMA gyms they really don’t respect traditional martial arts whereas guys like Keith Jardine, Georges St-Pierre and others like them really seem to treat this as a sport about martial arts and not a blood sport or a tough man competition.

JJ: Absolutely. If you’re going to be something you should be it wholeheartedly, and I think the mental aspect is a big part of fighting. You need to control your mind and know how to use your mind to think like a warrior, then you can perform like a warrior. I think people who think about it as a tough man contest can only go so far.

http://www.jonnybones.com/media.html

CubanSucks
08-02-2010, 01:06 AM
NHyjhimpuZ8

:lmao You have to watch all the way through

8FOR!3
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I HATE Anderson Silva and he would absolutely wreck Bruce Lee. Might be the first death in the octagon. It would be a brutal brutal brutal KO.

dbreiden83080
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
pWTcAJnm9xQ

Hooks
08-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I'll take the person that actually FOUGHT, not the guy who you just hear stories from. You guys overrate the fuck out of Bruce Lee's fighting ability. The stories you do hear are a bunch of BS street fights which were probably against small, frail asian guys.

Anderson via KO on the first clean punch he lands. You see people, you just don't develop a chin from working out. In order to develop the ability to take a punch you must take punches, years of sparring people will give you that ability. The same goes for body shots, abdominal muscle doesn't mean shit if you're not used to getting hit all all over your body. Hell I bet I could KO Bruce Lee if I landed on him, I've got a few years of boxing training and I have no doubt I'd be able to KO someone who doesn't have the training I do and isn't used to getting hit.

I have no doubt in my mind that Pacquiao punches harder and faster than Bruce Lee, years of fighting actual opponents and gaining experience has made Pacman a BEAST. I've yet to see anything really impressive from Lee, dude was fast and skinny but that was pretty much it. He wasn't powerful at all, I've seen him on the bag and his punching technique is embarrassing.

You can look impressive in training and all that stuff but when it comes time to fight it's a whole different story. You can ask just about any trainer of any fighting sport and they'll tell you the exact same thing. You can put a fighter that's 10-0 with 10 Knockouts with all the skill in the world but there is a good chance that he'd lose to a more experienced fighter simply because of experience.

If anyone would like to post a video of Lee doing something crazy, please post it. I've seen his 1 inch punch and I've seen in duplicated, it's not hard to do. I've seen his "speed punch" or palm strike whatever it was it wasn't that fast at all.

CubanSucks
02-06-2011, 02:27 AM
any of you bitches wanna reconsider?

ace3g
02-06-2011, 02:41 AM
nope.....(and I picked Bruce Lee)

dbreiden83080
02-08-2011, 01:38 AM
YPX5JZuR5_o

Hooks
02-08-2011, 02:36 AM
The majority of people that'd choose Lee to win a fight over Silva have probably never fought before, and do not understand the sport of fighting :wakeup.

dbreiden83080
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
The majority of people that'd choose Lee to win a fight over Silva have probably never fought before, and do not understand the sport of fighting :wakeup.

This was mainly a joke thread.. Anyone who says Lee kicks Silva's ass and is serious needs to grow up..

CubanSucks
02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
This was mainly a joke thread.. Anyone who says Lee kicks Silva's ass and is serious needs to grow up..

:lol It wasn't a joke when I was arguing it with a couple friends 6 months ago. They honestly thought Lee would win