PDA

View Full Version : The difference in Spurs draft hype: DeJuan Blair VS James Anderson

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
On DeJuan Blair

In the 2009 draft, the Spurs, with their 2nd rounder, their first pick in that draft, drafted Pittsburgh product, DeJuan Blair. Known for his elite rebounding talents, Blair had great games in the Big East and was the Big East co-player of the year, sharing the honors with Connecticut's 7"3 shot-blocking presence, Hasheem Thabeet.

DeJuan Blair had huge games against Hasheem Thabeet, seemingly overpowering that 7"3 presence with his lower body strength. It had to be noted he took Thabeet down while grabbing a rebound. "The Beast" made his name knownseemingly with that one wrestling sequence.

However, as everyone soon found out, Blair miraculously had no ACLs. Many medical staff members in the NBA advised their general managers to not draft DeJuan Blair, out of caution. All but one team, the San Antonio Spurs. They knew that Blair never missed games or practices because of his ACL problems, and valued his good work ethic.

They took a chance, and selected Blair. It was well known that before the scans came out, Blair was projected as high to be a lottery pick, who can make a definite impact with that terrifying rebounding of his. He dropped to the 2nd round, because of his lack of ACLs, his height, with the combination of that massive weight, making him a tough player to value. The hype in Spurs fandom was ridiculous, and shot through the roof, stating that the Spurs did it again.

On James Anderson

A junior out of Oklahoma State University, Anderson made his presence known in one way. He was an elite scorer, a definite impact player. The reigning Big 12 player of the year then realized his stock, and declared for the NBA draft. College coaches had praises for him, particularly for his work ethic, and that he takes care of business.

James Anderson, throughout his draft process, suffered a hamstring injury, which prevented him from working out with NBA teams. Projected as high to be a low-end lottery pick by some, Anderson's stock plummeted. Draftexpress had Anderson at 30 in their mock draft at draft night, mostly concerning his inactivity.

Once again, a team took their chances to select the Big 12 Player of the Year. The San Antonio Spurs took the decorated college player using their 20th pick, hoping that his game translates to the pros. The hype on James Anderson only lasted for a few days on Spurstalk, mostly because he was held out of summer league.

The question
Why was the hype so contrasting? Was it because of positional needs? There are many personality similarities between these two individuals, with a completely different game. They also had situational similarities in their draft process, all the way until draft night. Is there any way someone can answer this question?

Maybe James Anderson will answer them, by showing us his talent during the pre-season or the regular season. For now, all we can do is just wait and see.

pjjrfan
07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Sometimes guys who score a lot in college just don't do it in the pros. But good rebounding is a skill that if you are good at it in college you will also be good in the pros. The transition from college to pros is easier for rebounders than for scorers.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Blair is a lot better. That's why he was hyped more.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Blair is a lot better. That's why he was hyped more.

Untrue statement. How was Blair a lot better than Anderson? They play different positions, their talents are contrasting. How is Blair a lot better?

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Rebounding impacts the game more than shooting. Blair is one of the best rebounders in college basketball history. Therefore, Blair>>>Anderson.

C'mon Chieflion...this is basketball 101.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Rebounding impacts the game more than shooting. Blair is one of the best rebounders in college basketball history. Therefore, Blair>>>Anderson.

Unless you expect Anderson to rebound like Blair at the SG position, which happens to be humanly impossible unless he cheats on defense and hovers around the rim. Anderson brings his elite skill set, at least at the college level. Blair was a short 6 foot 7, in the NBA as a power forward who had superb rebounding abilities. Both players have or had risks of their games not translating to the pros.

I love Blair, but let us not affect our judgement based on what Blair did the last season because this is about draft hype.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Anderson is a nice prospect...but his ceiling is probably a really good role player. Blair is a mid-range shot away from becoming a dominant force down low.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Anderson is a nice prospect...but his ceiling is probably a really good role player. Blair is a mid-range shot away from becoming a dominant force down low.

I would argue that Anderson has more defensive potential than Blair would ever have. I completely disagree with the dominant force down low description because Blair does not really have go-to post moves as of yet.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Both players have or had risks of their games not translating to the pros.

Sometimes guys who score a lot in college just don't do it in the pros. But good rebounding is a skill that if you are good at it in college you will also be good in the pros. The transition from college to pros is easier for rebounders than for scorers.
I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here.

I don't think it is hard to understand that Blair is shorter than most NBA power forwards who are more physically imposing than most college bigs.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:42 PM
I would argue that Anderson has more defensive potential than Blair would ever have. I completely disagree with the dominant force down low description because Blair does not really have go-to post moves as of yet.
Blair's post ability is more based on strength than a go to move...and I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "Anderson has more defensive potential than Blair". Throughout the course of the season Blair became a very good team defender.

You are seriously overrating Anderson here.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't think it is hard to understand that Blair is shorter than most NBA power forwards who are more physically imposing than most college bigs.
Since when did rebounding become about size? Blair proved last year that what you are saying here is pure BS. Multiple 20/20 games don't lie.

Are you feeling well?

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Blair's post ability is more based on strength than a go to move...and I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "Anderson has more defensive potential than Blair". Throughout the course of the season Blair became a very good team defender.

You are seriously overrating Anderson here.

That's your opinion. He was atrocious at that. Couldn't rotate to save his life.

I was only asking why the hype was so contrasting.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Since when did rebounding become about size? Blair proved last year that what you are saying here is pure BS. Multiple 20/20 games don't lie.

Are you feeling well?

I asked about draft hype. I didn't want this to be how Blair did during the season. What Blair did in the season had nothing to do with draft hype.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Then you didn't watch many games. I watched them all...and he improve vastly over the course of the season.

Anderson is a complete and total question mark on defense right now. There are literally hundreds of player that have the physical ability to play defense but just don't. Anderson could very easily become one of those.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
I asked about draft hype. I didn't want this to be how Blair did during the season. What Blair did in the season had nothing to do with draft hype.
Well...rebounding = more impact. That's not hard to comprehend.

L.I.T
07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I would hazard that the reason is something that you touched on in your post. Since we are talking about hype post-draft pre-season, most of that is created in fans minds by some indelible image during college. Usually then posted and rewatched continuously on Youtube. We got that with Blair physically annihilating Thabeet; a guy who went second in the draft.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Then you didn't watch many games. I watched them all...and he improve vastly over the course of the season.

Anderson is a complete and total question mark on defense right now. There are literally hundreds of player that have the physical ability to play defense but just don't. Anderson could very easily become one of those.

Being ridciulously pathetic from the start to being bad is an improvement. I will give you that. I watched almost all the games and I cannot give you that Blair is an extremely good team defender. Matt Bonner rotated better than him.

Your second paragraph is just an assumption. We don't know yet but college coaches have praised his help defense in the past.

DesignatedT
07-31-2010, 10:54 PM
It's retarded comparing the 2 when Anderson hasn't even played a game yet. They were both fantastic players in 2 of the hardest conferences in college basketball.

benefactor
07-31-2010, 10:54 PM
lol ability. Where's James White when you need him?

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Well...rebounding = more impact. That's not hard to comprehend.

That's like saying Pau Gasol impacts the game more than Kobe Bryant. I can't take you seriously.

Seriously though, they do different things and I don't see why Anderson doesn't get his hype for doing what he does at an elite level which is a total contrast for what Blair does at his elite level.

And for the record, I believe rebounding has more impact than scoring, but I don't want to touch on what Blair did in the season because it has nothing to do with his draft hype, because he hasn't played.

Chieflion
07-31-2010, 10:59 PM
It's retarded comparing the 2 when Anderson hasn't even played a game yet. They were both fantastic players in 2 of the hardest conferences in college basketball.

I am not comparing the 2 player's talents. I am comparing the draft hype between the 2. The contrast between the hype is just ridiculous based on what they accomplished as college players.

Doe
07-31-2010, 11:00 PM
The biggest thing for me personally was that by this time last year I had seen Blair play against other NBA players/prospects and he showed off his beastly rebounding along with some other skills that were a pleasant surprise. Basically he looked like a legit NBA player. With Anderson I don't know anything about how he'll fare going against NBA players so I can't really place expectations on him and thus there's no reason for me to get excited or hyped.

DesignatedT
07-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Blair's performance against Thabeet alone gave him tons of press and recognition but Anderson was just as impressive as Blair at the collegiate level. It would be stupid saying he couldn't ultimately be the better player one day.

Sigz
07-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Rebounding impacts the game more than shooting.

.... No.....

It's important, but are you really going to sit here and tell me rebounding outweighs the impact of ball games MORE than shooting the ball??

Get real...

Cane
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Blair was the bigger steal since he dropped so low (especially in hindsight of his rookie season, 20-20 games :wow) but FWIW sportswriters and talking heads mostly say that Anderson's also going to be a steal and a good addition for the silver and black. There might've been more hype if he didn't get injured and performed well in summer league but there doesn't seem much to say about a new guy otherwise. Buford did joke that there were high expectations since Anderson's a Big 12 Player of the Year, an award won by the likes of Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant. Also the Spurs don't seem to get (or want) much attention in general from the media especially after the East got revamped.

07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
anderson didn't play in summer league due to injury so there is nothing to hype up. blair played a few games, performed pretty well, and spurstalk proceeded to blow that out of proportion. the same thing happened to gist.

if anderson played well in summer league, there would have been plenty of "anderson = next stephen jackson?" threads.

Blackjack
07-31-2010, 11:46 PM
James Anderson was simply overshadowed for most of his college career playing on a less than stellar team. He played at Oklahoma State, not Pitt or in the Big East amongst the East Coast hype machine, his college career ended with an early exit from the tournament and he saw his stock slip due to an injury that kept him from playing at 100%; the majority of mock drafts still had him going around 16 throughout most of the pre-draft.

Factor in that he wasn't able to prove his worth during the Vegas Summer League and get fans worked up over future prospects, and it's easy to see why there just isn't much hype -- never mind the fact that good-to-great college scorers that don't possess elite size or athleticism are generally question marks at a much greater level than rebounders, the one aspect that translates better than any other facet of the college game.

Bottom line, Anderson seemed and felt like a 20 pick. He could be great he could be "meh." We just don't know and we've yet to get a glimpse at the next level to gauge. DeJuan Blair never looked or felt like a 37. Everyone knew the guy was deserving to go in the Draft Lottery had there been no question marks due to health. The Spurs lucked out, were put a a no-lose situation picking him in the second round with no first round guaranteed money and the guy had left a mark on college basketball, the draft process and during summer league play that had the masses all riled up and jacked about his future prospects.

Anderson basically seemed an expected talent at 20 (maybe a little better) and Blair felt like a steal or godsend. Throw in the recent successes of Millsap and Landry and the lack of real success for scorers the likes of Anderson in college ball, and you've got your answer: different players; different circumstance; different hype.

ChuckD
08-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Hollinger has everyone in a tizzy with his new college player evaluation matrix. BIG plusses are outstanding rebounding for your position, a high combination of blocks and steals, and unconscious 3 point shooting. In college, Blair hit two of those, and Anderson none. While he was a good 3 point shooter, Hollinger's matrix is looking for long ball accuracy like McClinton had at Miami, 44-45%. That's why Blair had more draft hype.

ElNono
08-01-2010, 01:08 AM
James Anderson was simply overshadowed for most of his college career playing on a less than stellar team. He played at Oklahoma State, not Pitt or in the Big East amongst the East Coast hype machine, his college career ended with an early exit from the tournament and he saw his stock slip due to an injury that kept him from playing at 100%; the majority of mock drafts still had him going around 16 throughout most of the pre-draft.

Factor in that he wasn't able to prove his worth during the Vegas Summer League and get fans worked up over future prospects, and it's easy to see why there just isn't much hype -- never mind the fact that good-to-great college scorers that don't possess elite size or athleticism are generally question marks at a much greater level than rebounders, the one aspect that translates better than any other facet of the college game.

Bottom line, Anderson seemed and felt like a 20 pick. He could be great he could be "meh." We just don't know and we've yet to get a glimpse at the next level to gauge. DeJuan Blair never looked or felt like a 37. Everyone knew the guy was deserving to go in the Draft Lottery had there been no question marks due to health. The Spurs lucked out, were put a a no-lose situation picking him in the second round with no first round guaranteed money and the guy had left a mark on college basketball, the draft process and during summer league play that had the masses all riled up and jacked about his future prospects.

Anderson basically seemed an expected talent at 20 (maybe a little better) and Blair felt like a steal or godsend. Throw in the recent successes of Millsap and Landry and the lack of real success for scorers the likes of Anderson in college ball, and you've got your answer: different players; different circumstance; different hype.

Good thing you're the #1 poster and typed all that in. I'll just:

+1

Thanks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Excellent post, Blackjack. :tu

That, folks, is why he's the self-proclaimed #1! :lol

I am not comparing the 2 player's talents. I am comparing the draft hype between the 2. The contrast between the hype is just ridiculous based on what they accomplished as college players.

...only if you forget that we got Grizzly at #37! That's primarily why the hype was so overblown, and rightly so. The hype actually centred more around the FO than the player, in the sense of all the commentary along the lines of "Dayum! The Spurs FO has done it again! Another 2nd round jewel passed up by everyone else! Ginobili mark II!"

Anderson has a very nice college resume, but the jury is still out on how he will translate to the NBA. Many SGs who look great in college don't make it at the next level. I'm not saying he won't, just that I think most people are taking more of a wait-and-see approach with Anderson, which I think is wiser than over-hyping him and being disappointed with the 8ppg he will probably score this season. We need him to hit timely 3s, work hard on team D, and generally contribute to the bench energy that was so strong last year. Until we've seen him play for a year or two in the pros, I think it's also very difficult to judge his ceiling accurately.

DrSteffo
08-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Bottom line, Anderson seemed and felt like a 20 pick. He could be great he could be "meh." We just don't know and we've yet to get a glimpse at the next level to gauge. DeJuan Blair never looked or felt like a 37. Everyone knew the guy was deserving to go in the Draft Lottery .

This. Also Blair is a BEAST.

Chieflion
08-01-2010, 04:02 AM
...only if you forget that we got Grizzly at #37! That's primarily why the hype was so overblown, and rightly so. The hype actually centred more around the FO than the player, in the sense of all the commentary along the lines of "Dayum! The Spurs FO has done it again! Another 2nd round jewel passed up by everyone else! Ginobili mark II!"

I disagree. What you are saying is that everyone praised the Spurs front office for drafting Blair at 37 for the most part. So, if the situation is reversed and we get Anderson at 37 (hypothetically), you think the hype would have increased? I don't think this is the case.

DespЏrado
08-01-2010, 04:07 AM
I don't know I'm sure as hell hyped for Anderson.

And he was proclaimed the steal of the draft on draft night.
I think you are just missing the volume but the hype is there, it just hasn't had any wind to blow open in the summer leagues with the injury.

I'm thinking the guy has a really great shot at a ceiling of Derek Anderson or Sean Elliott, and I'm looking forward to an Anderson, Neal, Hill, Manu, and Parker rotation. I don't think teams are going to know what to make of the Spurs next year. They could have just reinvented themselves in under two off seasons again.

Hill, Neal, Manu, and Anderson are probably going to put on some of the best three point shooting the Spurs have ever seen.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-01-2010, 04:31 AM
I disagree. What you are saying is that everyone praised the Spurs front office for drafting Blair at 37 for the most part. So, if the situation is reversed and we get Anderson at 37 (hypothetically), you think the hype would have increased? I don't think this is the case.

Anderson was about right at #20 - he was listed between 16-22 on the 5 mock drafts I looked at - so it was no great surprise he went there. And yes, I think had he gone at #37 most people would be a bit more excited about him because at #37 he'd be considered somewhat of a steal, although not to the level of Blair. Blair was a top 10 pick who went at #37, a big surprise to most. No-one expected us to land Grizzly at #37, and I mean NO-ONE. There was talk he'd drop because of his knees, but not that far. Not one person predicted that before the draft, whereas we all knew Anderson was a likely pick at #20.

mingus
08-01-2010, 04:45 AM
the main thing Anderson has to do is be a tenacious defender and b a threat from 3.

Chieflion
08-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Anderson was about right at #20 - he was listed between 16-22 on the 5 mock drafts I looked at - so it was no great surprise he went there. And yes, I think had he gone at #37 most people would be a bit more excited about him because at #37 he'd be considered somewhat of a steal, although not to the level of Blair. Blair was a top 10 pick who went at #37, a big surprise to most. No-one expected us to land Grizzly at #37, and I mean NO-ONE. There was talk he'd drop because of his knees, but not that far. Not one person predicted that before the draft, whereas we all knew Anderson was a likely pick at #20.

I personally had Blair at the 13-20 range. But once I heard the reports, I understood why we got him at 37. I had Anderson in that range too, that was before the hamstring issue.

I need to emphasize that, no matter where a player is drafted, I look at the guy based on his abilities, and not hype him based on where he is drafted. I don't think Blair, whether he got drafted at 13, 20 or 37 is any different of a player than he would be.

TDMVPDPOY
08-01-2010, 06:18 AM
blair if he had acls, is the next barkley....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I personally had Blair at the 13-20 range. But once I heard the reports, I understood why we got him at 37. I had Anderson in that range too, that was before the hamstring issue.

I need to emphasize that, no matter where a player is drafted, I look at the guy based on his abilities, and not hype him based on where he is drafted. I don't think Blair, whether he got drafted at 13, 20 or 37 is any different of a player than he would be.

Nor do I. And because of that he is an amazing find at #37! That is the whole point.

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to watching Anderson develop over the next few years. That is part of the excitement of having young players again. ;)

RJ, OTOH, can bite me. :lmao

Oh, and I'm calling it now - RJ will be the whipping boy for Spurs fans this year... RJ all the way. :lol

ceperez
08-01-2010, 07:04 AM
anderson didn't play in summer league due to injury so there is nothing to hype up. blair played a few games, performed pretty well, and spurstalk proceeded to blow that out of proportion. the same thing happened to gist.

if anderson played well in summer league, there would have been plenty of "anderson = next stephen jackson?" threads.

exactly!

that is why even neal and gee got more praise

Interrohater
08-01-2010, 08:19 AM
As some of the other posters have stated, it really has to do with a couple of factors. Dejuan Blair seemed like one of those "WTF just happened?!" moments with the descent to #37. That would be like your Fantasy Football draft is in the second round and nobody had picked Drew Brees yet.
On the other hand, you're picking fourth and you get lucky and get Brees. More like "Hell yea, I got Brees." Still great that you got the guy you wanted, but not that gut-roiling, I-almost-wanna-throw-up-I'm-so-excited feeling.
Another thing would be Summer League. Beast did what he does best and made people look absolutely silly. It was hard NOT to get excited about it. We didn't see Anderson at all, not even warming up. (at least I didn't)

Last but not least is the Badass factor. I'll explain:
Dude1: "Hey man, Dude3 and I just went and bought new cars."
Dude2: "Oh cool. Is this it? A 2010 Honda Civic?"
Dude1: "Yea, it's perfect. Economical, great price, very very quick and it drives like a dream."
Dude2: "Awesome man, let's go for a ride."
Dude3: "Dudes!! Check out my new ride!"
Dude2: "Holy a$$balls! Is that a fu*#in Hummer?!?! Shotgun!!!"

So the moral of the story is: It may be everything you need in a car, but it's hard to get excited about a Civic.

benefactor
08-01-2010, 08:45 AM

:tu

elemento
08-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Agree with Blackjack.

We were happy after DB's performance in the SL, but when he dropped 19 rebounds in 22 minutes against Houston we just went nuts ..it was so funny to see fans from the other teams getting mad on their FOs cuz they didn't get Blair.

Brazil
08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
let's see Blair without ACL stuff is a potential top 10 pick spurs got him at 37 !! Anderson pick is about right in the 20's

The Truth #6
08-01-2010, 10:35 AM
The question mark about Blair was his ACLs.

The question mark about Anderson is...is he actually any good?

I agree they'll both be role players. When we got Blair we needed rebounding and many were tired of our soft interior play.

When we drafted Anderson people wanted the next Bruce Bowen so I think expectations for what the team needed were just different.

lotr1trekkie
08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
As I recall on Blair's draft nite the TV analyists were over the top about how the Spurs had stolen a gem.
This season's draft was rather ho-hum and then the Spurs draft Anderson. I don't seem to remember any poster even mentioning Anderson prior to the draft. I'm sure someone did but I didn't see it.
Another, point is that Blair does one thing very well and his statue and nicknames add to the hype. Anderson on the other hand seems to be the total package---not a human hi-lite reel but solid in all aspects of the game. Coachable too. Maybe he needs a really good nickname. Any ideas.

jimo2305
08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
i think one thing also is that blair's team went deeper in the tournament than anderson's.. . i think..

the deeper your team goes.. the more people will know who u are

spursfaninla
08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Blair was a high-risk and high reward pick. Anderson is about right for his pick.

Blair's production per 40, as TimVP showed, is the best of any post player not named DROB or TD in the last 10 years.

Anderson has shown nothing to indicate he will be the equivalent on the wings, although we don't know what his ceiling will be.

SCdac
08-01-2010, 02:18 PM
DeJuan in his first summer league game put up 20 and 5 , then went on to grab 19 rebounds (in 22 minutes) in his first pre-season game. I think his game just really speaks for itself. He uses his body so well, and it was apparent from day 1. Really definition of a hustle player, at least for a big man... Anderson's game is probably going to depend alot more on shooting (seems like an athletic gunner), and well, we've yet to see him play in Silver and Black... Still can't wait to see him play though. His offense and overall youthfulness should help.

Mr. Body
08-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Anderson was very good for an underwhelming Big XII school in a conference that wasn't actually all that good. He bombed in the Tournament, perhaps of no fault of his own.

Blair was one of the signature players the year before for a Big East with a lot of storylines. Not the best player in the NCAA, but a charismatic player on a very nice Pittsburgh team that was one epic loss to Villanova away from the Final Four. He was one of the most visible players in college basketball and is absolutely outstanding at one skill, among others.

I don't see much comparison. Blair is easily the better player at this point. Anderson should be proud of his conference POY accolades but he is a lukewarm talent at this point. Hope he can contribute, of course; but he simply doesn't rightfully fire the imagination the way Dejuan Blair does.

lotr1trekkie
08-01-2010, 05:01 PM
This is a ridiculous comparison. Blair has proven he can contribute. Anderson hasn't touched the ball yet. I do have a vivid memory of how MOST fans were apoplectic when we drafted a "little, French faggot" at point guard. Give JA a chance before we judge him.

Blackjack
08-01-2010, 05:17 PM
This is a ridiculous comparison. Blair has proven he can contribute. Anderson hasn't touched the ball yet. I do have a vivid memory of how MOST fans were apoplectic when we drafted a "little, French faggot" at point guard. Give JA a chance before we judge him.

Chieflion's OP was about hype prior to entering the league and not a comparison between the players contributions at the next level.

I do think Anderson has been pretty unsung and he could potentially parlay that into some ridiculous hype because the expectation is now pretty low, but there's also good reason for that -- as others and myself have mentioned.

I get where Chief was coming from, in that Anderson would normally be generating a little more buzz, but I think it's pretty understandable under the circumstance.

Lukor
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
What makes Blair special are his good hands and rebounding instincts. If it wasnt for his ACL's he wouldve been one of the top picks in the draft.
Anderson meh i dont know...he's gonna be a roleplayer, which is not bad for a #20 pick...but i dont see anything special in his game.

Manufan909
08-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Blair was a high-risk and high reward pick. Anderson is about right for his pick.

Blair's production per 40, as TimVP showed, is the best of any post player not named DROB or TD in the last 10 years.

Anderson has shown nothing to indicate he will be the equivalent on the wings, although we don't know what his ceiling will be.

Was that in the Splitter Part II thread?

Rob123
08-02-2010, 12:23 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've read anywhere on the internet.

First of all how does rebounding impact a game more than shooting? Dont you need to score to win?

Second of all they play two different positions with different roles a 2 guard cant rebound like a center....

aww screw it that statement was so dumb my brain hurts.

please refrain from having kids

wildbill2u
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Simple answer to this issue of contrasting hype is that Blair fell way down into the 2nd round. MOre hype because he turned out to be pretty good and we're proud of having another Spur 'coup". He exceeded most people's expectations and fans love a guy who can do that.

Anderson was picked at his most logical and proper place in the draft. Spurs overlooked his pre-draft injury as minor, but we haven't had a real look at him yet.

. Most 20 picks don't turn out as starters and some don't make it as role players. So moderate hype and expectations worthy of a 20 pick.

But let Anderson come in with a great work ethic on defense and sweet shot and start getting some serious minutes at SF and watch the hype balloon.