PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook your fish?

Big Empty
08-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Everyone has their own method of cooking fish whether it be grilling on a pit, baking, frying, or pan grilling on the stove. What's yalls favorite? I caught some redfish and im gonna make me some tommorow. I usually sauted some garlic and onions and lay the redfish on it and grill it on the stove with some cajin spices and stuff. Very simple. Its ok but im sure there are better tastier ways of cooking it.

Shastafarian
08-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Different types of fish call for different cooking methods. A good one for thicker cuts is searing in a very hot pan with olive oil, then finishing in a moderately hot oven. You'll get a nice caramelized crust and not overdone interior.

balli
08-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I grill salmon with olive oil, salt, black pepper. Always have grilled asparagus on the side.

I pan-sear ahi with black pepper or poppy seeds and eat it over mango risotto.

I mix chicken of the sea with mayo and eat it on wheat.

mrsmaalox
08-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I grill salmon with olive oil, salt, black pepper. Always have grilled asparagus on the side.

I pan-sear ahi with black pepper or poppy seeds and eat it over mango risotto.

I mix chicken of the sea with mayo and eat it on wheat.

Salmon is the only fish I like and I grill it just like this too. Nothing complicated, just simple and delicious. I think I probably over-cook it by most people's standards, but I like a bit of a hard crust on it.

CosmicCowboy
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Redfish?

Have you already cleaned/skinned it?

The ultimate way to cook redfish is on the halfshell.

Leave the skin on and fillet the whole side off the backbone.

Coat the meat side heavily with thick and chunky salsa. Cook on the grill skin side down on direct medium heat.

Don't move it or flip it.

When you can flake the meat with a fork slide a spatula between the meat and the skin and take the whole fillet off in one piece (discarding the skin) and cut it into individual servings.

Awesome doesn't even come close to describing how good it is.

Big Empty
08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Redfish?

Coat the meat side heavily with thick and chunky salsa. Cook on the grill skin side down on direct medium heat.

When you can flake the meat with a fork slide a spatula between the meat and the skin and take the whole fillet off in one piece (discarding the skin) and cut it into individual servings.

I still have one redfish on ice. The whole damn thing with scales and all lol. Is that what you mean when you say half shell? on a bbq pit?

David Bowie
08-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I like to mix orange juice with honey and , pour it over salmon, and fry it or grill it.

CosmicCowboy
08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I still have one redfish on ice. The whole damn thing with scales and all lol. Is that what you mean when you say half shell? on a bbq pit?

Cut the head off behind the bone behind the gills. Take your fillet knife and cut right down the backbone and peel the fillet off right to the tail. Trim the ribs off.

That's your half shell. Cook it skin side down on the grill.

Trust me on this one.

Big Empty
08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Cut the head off behind the bone behind the gills. Take your fillet knife and cut right down the backbone and peel the fillet off right to the tail. Trim the ribs off.

That's your half shell. Cook it skin side down on the grill.

Trust me on this one.
LOL alright man. i have three of them filleted that way. Didn't realize that meant half shell all these years. I'll give it a go

EmptyMan
08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Redfish?

+1

I don't even fish for trout anymore :lol

austN Spur
08-01-2010, 10:36 PM
today i had some of those catfish chunks and dipped in flour spiced with S.P.G. and then dipped in milk/egg mix then back to flour. The pan has a small amount of oil and I cook on both sides for about 3 and 2 minutes . oh so good. i also had some of those big shrimps and after cleaning them I dipped in a catfish breading and fried. the pan doesnt have a lot of oil just maybe a 1/4 inch or so and i just flipped and move the shrimp around so all sides cooked. with a side salad. it was so good. me and my wife ate this for around 6 dollars. i already had the oil and flour and everything else

but i cook fish different ways on the grill, in the over, on the little pit it just depends what the sides are

blkroadrunners
08-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Fried.

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2010, 01:38 AM
depends on what fish man and what sort of meal u want

The Gemini Method
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Definitely depends on what species I've caught and/or purchase.

Unfortunately, we don't have redfish out here in Cali, but a fish that could be similar in texture and taste is yellowtail. I normally make sashimi out of yellowtail, but that would entail the fish being absolutely at its freshest (also, you have to freeze yellowtail prior to shashimi(ng) it up because it could have a bacteria especially if its a homeguard fish and freezing it is the only way to destroy it.

But, if you do come across yellowtail, I recommend marinating it for an hour in a light soy sauce-wasabi-green onion-chili powder mix and grilling it for 5-7 mins on the grill. Do not move and you could also do it half-shell with the skin on and remove it post grilling, but I tend to do it w/o skin. Here's a recipe I also use when cooking yellowtail.

Ingredients:
Yellowtail Fillets
Olive Oil
Fresh herbs of choice, chopped

Directions:
1. Oil the grill and adjust heat to medium high.
2. Brush fillets with olive oil and cook 5-7 minutes per side or until done.
3. Sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs and serve

CosmicCowboy
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
+1

I don't even fish for trout anymore :lol

Boy I do. I love chasing big trout.

I've got a good grill recipe for trout too.

Buy a can of frozen margarita mix. ( I use the HEB house brand but any will work). Thaw...don't add water.

Mix in a hand full of diced basil and a hand full of diced mint

Marinate the fillets in that before grilling on cedar planks.

It makes KILLER fish tacos.

MannyIsGod
08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Why would you want to ruin good fish by cooking it?

CosmicCowboy
08-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Sashimi is great with the right fish, but not all fish is texturally good raw.

The Gemini Method
08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

What CC said and some species of fish do contain certain critters that best cooked off the flesh lol.

MannyIsGod
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah, you can't eat them all raw. :(

I love me some sashimi though.

I think I know what I'm getting for lunch!

Kori Ellis
08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, you can't eat them all raw. :(

I love me some sashimi though.

I think I know what I'm getting for lunch!

We are going to sushi too. I just called our fav sushi place to see if they had high chairs, and thankfully they do :tu

DesignatedT
08-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Red fish on the half shell for sure. With some Italian dressing , brown sugar, lemon juice and other spices you like. Trick is to keep basing it every couple minutes to keep it moist. Shouldn't take long. That's the best way to cook red fish. Trout and drum I like to fry myself. Salmon is disgusting

DesignatedT
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Redfish?

Salsa? Really? I'm going to have to try that. What type of salsa do you prefer to use?

CosmicCowboy
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Salsa? Really? I'm going to have to try that. What type of salsa do you prefer to use?

I've literally used dozens of different toppings but salsa is my favorite.

Just for redfish I like the Pace or HEB thick and chunky (medium).

No need to baste..the liquid soaks down to the skin and then steams back up through the meat...it's always moist and flaky with a little spicy zing.

DesignatedT
08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I've literally used dozens of different toppings but salsa is my favorite.

Just for redfish I like the Pace or HEB thick and chunky (medium).

No need to baste..the liquid soaks down to the skin and then steams back up through the meat...it's always moist and flaky with a little spicy zing.

Gotta try that :toast