PDA

View Full Version : Going to LA

resistanze
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I'll be heading to LA for a couple of days after spending most of next week in Vegas. Went to Vegas last year, so I know the deal. But I'm trying to put together a list of things to do/check out in LA in 2 days.

I'd obviously like to visit Hollywood, but looking for any suggestions on cool things to check out. I'll be staying in downtown LA, and also was wondering the best way to get around.

DJ Mbenga
08-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I'll be heading to LA for a couple of days after spending most of next week in Vegas. Went to Vegas last year, so I know the deal. But I'm trying to put together a list of things to do/check out in LA in 2 days.

I'd obviously like to visit Hollywood, but looking for any suggestions on cool things to check out. I'll be staying in downtown LA, and also was wondering the best way to get around.

im sorry to hear that. just do la live.

clambake
08-02-2010, 08:03 PM
downtown? change it to the peninsula.

silverblk mystix
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Well it depends on what kind of trip/what kind of things?

Are you looking to do the tourist,museum art gallery thing?

The club party thing?

The food tour?

There are a million things to do in L.A. and EVERYTHING is spread out, so the best way to get around is to rent a car.
If you rent a car and you only have two days then Hollywood is a short drive from Downtown and you can hit the Sunset strip, find decent nightlife ,etc...

Post what kind of stuff you wanna check out and I could throw some ideas.

As far as downtown , at least hit the Standard hotel and check out their rooftop bar it is pretty cool and there is a LOT of eye candy to scope out.

tlongII
08-02-2010, 11:36 PM
If you're staying in downtown LA you're going to get shot. Sorry to hear that.

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 12:00 AM

Hollywood fucking blows, unless you're impressed by stars in the sidewalk, dumbasses dressed like Borat in front of the Chinese Theater, and drunks and schizophrenics all over the streets. Anywhere else in the city is better. Los Angeles is such an awesome city and for the life of me I cannot understand why everyone wants to go to that overcrowded dump. Check this thread for better ways to spend your 2 days in LA:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129890&highlight=people

I think the Angeles Crest Highway is closed right now though, due to some nasty mudslides this year after the whole area burned last year.

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Also, LA public transportation sucks. By all means, rent a car.

MavDynasty
08-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Hollywood fucking blows, unless you're impressed by stars in the sidewalk, dumbasses dressed like Borat in front of the Chinese Theater, and drunks and schizophrenics all over the streets. Anywhere else in the city is better. Los Angeles is such an awesome city and for the life of me I cannot understand why everyone wants to go to that overcrowded dump. Check this thread for better ways to spend your 2 days in LA:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129890&highlight=people

I think the Angeles Crest Highway is closed right now though, due to some nasty mudslides this year after the whole area burned last year.

:tu

tbh Hollywood is a shithole but if it is your first time and you're willing to spend cash on the Wax Museum etc then its worth a look.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I'd obviously like to visit Hollywood

Don't bother. There's fuck all to do in Hollywood. Except maybe stand there and wonder what the fuss is all about, but that's not really enough to fill a day.

As for specific suggestions... probably helpful if you let us know what you were into. If I were going to go back and visit for a couple of days, I'd probably have enough to keep me entertained just with museums, architecture (Hollyhock House, Gamble House, etc.), and a few old favorite thrift/antique stores, but I know that's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

I'd suggest renting a car is your best bet for transportation, but I graduated high school and moved out of the area when the MetroLink was still under construction so I'm not too familiar with how much of the area it covers or how convenient it is. Being so spread out and built without a subway system already in place, however, I can't imagine it being useful for anything more than a few specific commuter routes.

My one solid suggestion: if you want a bar, go to the Frolic Room.

DoKdynasty
08-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Go to In-N-Out.

Jacob1983
08-03-2010, 01:31 AM
So besides the stars on the ground, Hollywood pretty much sucks? Probably better to just take a pic of the Hollywood sign? I've been tempted to go to LA mainly cause I want to go to the coast and I've never seen the Pacific Ocean. If you go LA, is it better to stay close to LA or on the coast like Santa Monica?

silverblk mystix
08-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Someone mentioned the frolic room...I have many fond memories of getting completely trashed in the frolic room and then going next door to the taco place at 3 am and chowing down on the best burritos in L.A....

but be advised ---the frolic room is a hole in the wall, literally...so if you are expecting some fancy hip trendy club---it is not the frolic room...

but if you go there...you will have a great time...there are no pretentious people in the frolic and plenty of lovable losers there...but crank that old fashioned jukebox to some doors,hendrix,gipsy kings, sinatra,chili peppers,etc...and you will see the light---if you are drinking enough..

as far as hollywood sucking...

well, again...if you are expecting what you see on tv or the movies...or are looking for touristy things--it will probably blow...

but if you like cool underground shit...hollywood is really a great place...

you can go for a nice hike in runyon canyon (go to hollywood blvd heading west--past labrea blvd--next traffic light turn right---you will see the gate as that street dead-ends)...it is about a 45 minute hike each way---at the top you can see all of hollywood including the hollywood sign---and if it is clear enough you can see the ocean in the distance...

there are some underground bars that you have to know about...like the 3 of clubs on vine st...but there is no sign outside--no markings--nothing...but the locals just call it the three of clubs...that is another cool bar (or at least it was a couple of years ago when I lived there...

if you like salsa music---and hot latin,asian and caucasian women try el floridita nightclub at the corner of vine and fountain in hollywood

up in the sunset strip (sunset blvd west past fairfax ave) you can hit Le Mondrian hotel and Chateau Marmont for some really cool trendy upscale nightlife...and really,really hot women

if you head up to laurel canyon from sunset and turn right(going up the mountain) and then go up and turn left on lookout mountain---again up the mountain and turn right on wonderland avenue---this is where a lot of the hippy era rockers lived and partied..for example the doors..( read the book --no one here gets out alive) for info on this area...

if you wanna experience a nice upscale romantic spot...drive up franklin ave heading west and just past la brea blvd you will see a sign (going up the mountain) to Yamashiro japanese restaurant and you can have a couple of drinks at the bar and enjoy a gorgeous view of l.a. and/or have dinner under candlelight and enjoy some gourmet japanese food and sushi (and of course---hot women crawling all over the place)

for a nice drive...head up laurel cyn again to the top of the mountain and turn right on mulholland drive and enjoy one of the best scenic drives in l.a.

if you are out late at night and wanna enjoy a lively --late-late afterhours meal...
go to hollywood blvd from the 101 fwy and go east to thai town...go about a mile east and find a thai restaurant called--Sanamluang---they have the best thai food and late night crowd around...they open til like 3 or 4 am...

or go to sunset blved heading west and take a left on fairfax and you will find a jewish place called Canters which stays open really late...and have some matzo balls and scope out actresses and wannabes and hear live music...

there is a ton of shit to do ---all this was just nearand around hollywood...

you fuckin made me miss cali...fuck!

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 03:19 AM
or go to sunset blved heading west and take a left on fairfax and you will find a jewish place called Canters which stays open really late...and have some matzo balls and scope out actresses and wannabes and hear live music...

I think Canter's is open 24/7. I remember going there on Thanksgiving at like 2AM one year when I couldn't make it to be with the family, so if it's open then, I don't imagine it ever closes. Their pastrami is excellent, and I'm a big fan of the lox with a big slab of avocado there too. Koreatown is also pretty awesome for late-night food, though I can't remember any specific places right off hand. I don't think I have ever had a bad meal in the neighborhood though.

So besides the stars on the ground, Hollywood pretty much sucks? Probably better to just take a pic of the Hollywood sign? I've been tempted to go to LA mainly cause I want to go to the coast and I've never seen the Pacific Ocean. If you go LA, is it better to stay close to LA or on the coast like Santa Monica?

I'm not a club guy, so I didn't find much interesting about Hollywood. The only thing that I thought was cool around there was Griffith Park (awesome place with great views of LA and the San Fernando Valley), but that's really Los Feliz. Santa Monica wouldn't be my recommendation for anyone who is over 12, as the pier is just full of a bunch of carnival stuff, shitty tourist trap chain restaurants like Bubba Gump, lots of homeless all around the parks on Ocean Ave (on the cliffs above the beach), and the beach isn't anything special. If you're going for beaches, Zuma Beach, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa Beach are far superior IMO. Huntington has monster waves, Zuma has a great hill to make an easy climb up to look at the ocean (Point Dume), Redondo has a fish market with A+ oysters and is shallow for a long ways out, and hence, has the easiest swimming. Hermosa and Manhattan have been pretty similar to Redondo in the couple of times I have gone to each, but Redondo, Zuma, and Huntington were the ones I went to most when living out there. Be prepared for the cold in the water though; it's nothing like the warm bathwater of the Gulf of Mexico. Also, don't go before August, as June is usually really foggy and cold at the beaches (June Gloom as it's called in LA), and July can often be like that too. August and September have by far the best beach weather in LA.

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Being so spread out and built without a subway system already in place, however, I can't imagine it being useful for anything more than a few specific commuter routes.

Santa Monica and the rest of the westside wanted no part of the unwanted 'diversity' extending the purple line past Vermont would have brought.

EDIT: Oh wow, apparantly the purple line is supposed to reach Westwood by 2036. :lol

Cyrano
08-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Drop your pants and walk backwards slowly down the sidewalk. We call that "trolling for Laker fans".

Stringer_Bell
08-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Drive down Sunset Blvd during Sunset, buy some In-and-Out, take a day trip to Santa Monica and drive through the Mountains (fucking beautiful!), and try to catch a concert somewhere...that's do-able in 48 hours and it's chill.

Hollywood isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, it's not all the hype, but I stayed at some apartments near the main strip and it was a decent place and the food isn't bad so maybe just grab a bite to eat and take some pics but don't miss out on Santa Monica for it.

resistanze
08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah thanks for the suggestions.

By visiting Hollywood if only meant a quick visit :lol Just my first time there and I wanted to see what it's all about. Just wanted to do the moonwalk on Michael Jackson's star, tbh.

I'm open to going to any museums, attractions, shows, good food etc. in the area.

Of course, we wanna hit up some bars, but probably not any clubs (Vegas will do for that). I wasn't planning on renting a car but that seems like the consensus here so I'll probably do so.

resistanze
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Go to In-N-Out.

This was the first stop on my list, tbh.

CosmicCowboy
08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah thanks for the suggestions.

By visiting Hollywood if only meant a quick visit :lol Just my first time there and I wanted to see what it's all about. Just wanted to do the moonwalk on Michael Jackson's star, tbh.

I'm open to going to any museums, attractions, shows, good food etc. in the area.

Of course, we wanna hit up some bars, but probably not any clubs (Vegas will do for that). I wasn't planning on renting a car but that seems like the consensus here so I'll probably do so.

The Getty would be an amazing place to visit even if it wasn't full of incredible art.

The Gemini Method
08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Sanamluang is the business when you're drunk...it's not top-tier when you're sober. It's one of those things.

Right now, I'd follow the Food Truck movement in L.A. since that is the hottest thing this past year. You have the stalwart Kogi Korean/Mexican/Carribean fusion, Cool Haus, which is a great dessert truck, GrillEmAll--which is the best named truck and really good for the fast grilled items. CrepenAround and the Dim Sum trucks are also pretty cool.

If you're into clubbing--there have been some cool spots recommended already. If you want more--I suggest The Green Door, Boulevard 3, and Haute are pretty hot right now. I haven't been to Les Deux and The Edison yet, but friends have recommended those spots as well. I'm more of a bar person and normally stick closer to Long Beach, but Bar Lubitsch and the Red Lion Tavern are great places to go.

Food? Well, there is tons of great places to eat: I recommend Jitlada in Hollywood; Ketchup out in the West L.A. section and Bottega Louie restaurant for starters.

lefty
08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
So Reziztance,

After reading all the suggestions, do you still want to go to L.A ?

PakiDan
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Reziztance, don't pay attention to most of the pretentious bullshit advice here. These people forget what it's like to visit a place most people would love to visit for the first time. Here is some real advice:

Olive St. Downtown. Olive runs right through downtown (North South) - head north and just outside of downtown, you will hit Chinatown. It's not huge, but it's got some really great restaurants. Worth a check-out.

DEFINATELY hit Hollywood. If you've never been it's almost sacreligious to go to LA and NOT see Hollywood. The Nokia theater and mall is right there... take a stroll down to the Hollywood Bowl, see the Chinese Theater... it's worth it regardless of what these morons say.

Hit up West Hollywood (Sunset Blvd.) It's cool to see all the sites you se on TV shows, if you like live music, the Viper Room and Whiskey a-Go-Go are right there on Sunset. I went to the Viper last time I was there and had a BLAST!

BEACHES - Hit up either Redondo or Santa Monica ... there are some pretty cool bars right at Redondo Beach and Santa Monica has that whole pier thing.

I hope you have a great time and don't listen to the majority of the know-it-all assholes in here!

The Gemini Method
08-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Phillipe's is pretty good, too...Father's Office is the place to be if you're wantin' to meet hipsters or the yuppie types.

Hollywood is cool...but I am around that area often so the luster is kind've non-chalant for me.

Air Conditioned Supper Club is a swanky throw back. Take a hike in Malibu or the Hollywood Hills is always fun. Redondo Beach is always nice to get a little swim/bodyboard/surf in.

PakiDan
08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Phillipe's is pretty good, too...Father's Office is the place to be if you're wantin' to meet hipsters or the yuppie types.

Hollywood is cool...but I am around that area often so the luster is kind've non-chalant for me.

Air Conditioned Supper Club is a swanky throw back. Take a hike in Malibu or the Hollywood Hills is always fun. Redondo Beach is always nice to get a little swim/bodyboard/surf in.

Phillipe's is great! I love that place!

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't get the point of going to Hollywood just to say you did it. In only two days it would be an enormous waste of time to hang around there. The Getty Center, the Getty Villa, Griffith Park, Malibu, Zuma Beach, Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, hiking around Vazequez Rocks, hiking around Big Bear Lake or Mt San Jacinto, going to a game at Dodger Stadium, etc. are all far more interesting things to do. If you want to see a million churches of scientology, a bunch of fat tourists, and angry homeless, then yeah, Hollywood is the place to be.

eyeh8u
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
if you are on the dl ask koolaidman he knows all the spots

CuckingFunt
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
This thread is making me hungry. Canter's, The Original Pantry, Philippe's... so many places I haven't been in years.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Stop hanging out in the back alleys with the dope feigns and tranny's. There is plenty to do in Hollywood if that is your choice of destination, which I think is where he said wanted to go.

Oh, sure. There's plenty to do in Hollywood. But it's kind of a shitty place to just go and be a tourist. You end up going to a lot of trouble to look at a pissed on sidewalk for an hour or so.

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Stop hanging out in the back alleys with the dope feigns and tranny's. There is plenty to do in Hollywood if that is your choice of destination, which I think is where he said wanted to go.

Hollywood Blvd ain't exactly a back alley, but hey, it's not for me to judge if the trannies are the reason you like being there. The homeless problem is real there; one of my friends was almost killed by one of those homeless schizophrenics on the red line out there.

silverblk mystix
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh, sure. There's plenty to do in Hollywood. But it's kind of a shitty place to just go and be a tourist. You end up going to a lot of trouble to look at a pissed on sidewalk for an hour or so.

This.

Also , no offense to PAKIDAN...but you are kinda being a dik IMHO...

I lived in Hollyweird and gave the OP a buncha stuff that is kinda ---NOT-- a tourist menu...since I lived there and noticed that AFTER you spend an hour or two and see the chinese theatre,cruise hollywood and sunset and see the strip,yada,yada....

THEN what do you do?

It is like going to San Antonio...seeing the Alamo...and thinkin'....``that's it?''

so I gave him some stuff that the avg tourist won't really get to find...

you gave him the 2 to 3 tourist traps and then put down all the other good shit from a few posters...

just sayin'

CosmicCowboy
08-03-2010, 06:12 PM
This thread is making me hungry. Canter's, The Original Pantry, Philippe's... so many places I haven't been in years.

Ditto

just mentioning Canter's makes me crave a great classic Reuben...

lefty
08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Resistanze,

You should proceed by elimination

Just ask Lakaluva, and don't go to the places he suggests

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Ditto

just mentioning Canter's makes me crave a great classic Reuben...

Steer clear of the one in Las Vegas though. The only thing that tastes the same is the pastrami. I could kill for some of their pickles right now (the Hollywood Canters I mean).

baseline bum
08-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Also, if you want awesome Mexican food in LA, El Tepeyac Cafe in East LA is tough to beat. It's the only place where I can order guacamole and not be disappointed that I could make it better. King Taco joints are great for carnitas, cabeza, and carne asada too, though al pastor is trash everywhere I have tried it in LA.

resistanze
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
:lol This why I love ST.

Really good suggestions all around. I'm already compiling a list that needs trimming. Obviously I can't do everything I want in 2 days, but hopefully this isn't my only trip to LA. Good lookin' out. :toast

PakiDan
08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
This.

Also , no offense to PAKIDAN...but you are kinda being a dik IMHO...

Sooorrryyyy!

CosmicCowboy
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Steer clear of the one in Las Vegas though. The only thing that tastes the same is the pastrami. I could kill for some of their pickles right now (the Hollywood Canters I mean).

Thanks for the heads up!

thedong
08-04-2010, 11:28 AM
The Bus System is not that bad. But yeah, either stay at the Standard Hotel or the Omni.

While in downtown, you can always visit places like the Staples Center, Nokia Live, Chinatown, etc....

The Fashion and Arts District can be a cool place, with lots of hotties from USC, but just beware of the homeless people.

From Downtown the next closest attraction would be the Sunset BLV/Hollywood area.

Go to the Hollywood BLVD, the Hollywood and Highland Mall, there is a In N Out near by.

After you hit Hollywood, u can always go to West Hollywood or Rodeo Drive on your way to Santa Monica.

West Hollywood -- lots of gay people, but cool place, the sunset strip has a cool night life.

Santa Monica - the beach, and go hit up 3rd and Promenade/Downtown Santa Monica.

MavDynasty
08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
santa monica= the homeless capitol of the world tbh

IronMexican
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
santa monica= the homeless capitol of the world tbh

Skid row has more bang per square inch.

IronMexican
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
The Bus System is not that bad. But yeah, either stay at the Standard Hotel or the Omni.

While in downtown, you can always visit places like the Staples Center, Nokia Live, Chinatown, etc....

The Fashion and Arts District can be a cool place, with lots of hotties from USC, but just beware of the homeless people.

From Downtown the next closest attraction would be the Sunset BLV/Hollywood area.

Go to the Hollywood BLVD, the Hollywood and Highland Mall, there is a In N Out near by.

After you hit Hollywood, u can always go to West Hollywood or Rodeo Drive on your way to Santa Monica.

West Hollywood -- lots of gay people, but cool place, the sunset strip has a cool night life.

Santa Monica - the beach, and go hit up 3rd and Promenade/Downtown Santa Monica.

What's so great about the Fashion District? I used go to school about a 5 minutes walking from there. Just seemed like rich people clothes, or some shit. I went shopping in the ally's, which was right next to it.

Mark in Austin
08-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Also, if you want awesome Mexican food in LA, El Tepeyac Cafe in East LA is tough to beat. It's the only place where I can order guacamole and not be disappointed that I could make it better. King Taco joints are great for carnitas, cabeza, and carne asada too, though al pastor is trash everywhere I have tried it in LA.

Hey BB, any thought on BBQ Joints? Just saw this ranking of LA BBQ joints:
Best BBQ in LA (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/04/best-bbq-in-los-angeles_n_669484.html#s122283)

baseline bum
08-05-2010, 04:35 AM
Hey BB, any thought on BBQ Joints? Just saw this ranking of LA BBQ joints:
Best BBQ in LA (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/04/best-bbq-in-los-angeles_n_669484.html#s122283)

Sorry. I must have eaten BBQ at a restaurant once or twice the whole time I lived in LA.