PDA

View Full Version : Lebron and Co playing in Boston for NBA opener

InRareForm
08-03-2010, 01:56 AM
LeBron-Heat open @ BOS Oct 26, sources tell Y! Wiz Wall debuts Oct 27 @ ORL. Rumor is Lakers open versus Rockets in Yao's possible return.

-SpearsYahoo

TDMVPDPOY
08-03-2010, 02:07 AM
wtf does rockets get lakers opener? wtf have the done to gain such a opener?

Venti Quattro
08-03-2010, 02:10 AM
WTF just possible? Just give us Oklahoma City or Portland

PGDynasty24
08-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Houston well that's boring. I was thinking OKC or Portland. But whatever Rockets work,Ariza will get to watch Ron Artest get his ring

Venti Quattro
08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
But I think HOU-LAL will be a good opening night game; just isn't as marquee as MIA-BOS.

kamikazi_player
08-03-2010, 02:23 AM
get a grip guys, it's just the first fucking game of the season

TheKingOfMIA6
08-03-2010, 03:45 AM
Nice the Old Big 3 vs the Young 3 lol

Why houston for L.A thats kinda lame

R4R
08-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I'm a Houston fan and this just seems weird to me. OKC (young vs old talent) would seem like a better bet, but I'll take this too.

If the Rockets manage to beat the Lakers, I think it'll really put us in the spotlight for a while.

Kobe Molested Me
08-03-2010, 04:41 AM
I'm a Houston fan and this just seems weird to me. OKC (young vs old talent) would seem like a better bet, but I'll take this too.

If the Rockets manage to beat the Lakers, I think it'll really put us in the spotlight for a while.

This isn't a surprise. Stern is all about money and millions of people in China will be tuning in to Yao's return.

mindcrime
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Houston well that's boring. I was thinking OKC or Portland. But whatever Rockets work,Ariza will get to watch Ron Artest get his ring

Not sure why Ariza would give a shit. He got one the year before.

picc84
08-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Those Beantown irish are going to have a great chant ready.

Venti Quattro
08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I wonder what chant is Bill Simmons going to instigate.

Cane
08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Considering that Atlanta's athleticism already pushes Boston to 7 game series and regular season sweeps; Boston's fucked. The Heat are even more athletic and its got two superstars wanting some revenge for losing against 'em, and those 2 superstars were the best players Boston saw all playoffs against 'em. :wow

lefty
08-03-2010, 12:12 PM

:lmao

TD 21
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
The team James plays on opening the season against the Celtics; why does that sound so familiar? Oh that's right, because we've seen it about 27 times now.

The league and their broadcasting partners are so obvious it's laughable. We know they want a Heat-Celtics Eastern Conference Finals, but couldn't they at least have pretended that it didn't matter?

Surprised the Rockets are playing in the Lakers game. I thought it would be the Thunder, but then again, Houston is a major market and one the league tries to push into the spotlight whenever it can.

They've now put the Trail Blazers, Clippers and Rockets in this game in recent years. They'd probably put the Timberwolves in it before resorting to the Spurs.

TheKingOfMIA6
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM

lol'd

greyforest
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
wtf does rockets get lakers opener? wtf have the done to gain such a opener?

yao ming = china viewers

Darrin
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
First the 2004 opener and now this. Why the hell does Houston get so much respect? They've done nothing.

Sportcamper
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I realize that this is a great honor for Houston to have an opening game in the Sistine Chapel of basketball… But what a let down for the Lakers…The Lakers have no rivalry with Houston or Ariza (b player) or Yao…Stern would have been better off scheduling Lakers vs. Portland (with a healthy Greg Oden) or Lakers vs. Oklahoma…

Darrin
08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
MAN! I have to watch an Orlando game to see the player I have been anticipating joining the league for over a year now?!? I hate this! Kick Jameer's ass, John Wall.

HarlemHeat37
08-03-2010, 06:37 PM
What's the big deal about opening night games?..everybody plays 82 games, who gives a fuck about the first game?..we're going to see the same teams on TNT and ESPN all year..

Darrin
08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
What's the big deal about opening night games?..everybody plays 82 games, who gives a fuck about the first game?..we're going to see the same teams on TNT and ESPN all year..

Have you ever fasted for a couple of days? Maybe longer? You know the food is waiting for you. You have a steady check and your just waiting for the first one to come in so you can order that first meal out?

Is that a special occassion--breaking the fast? Do you remember every bite, plan and look forward to that first meal? Or do you say "Who cares? I can eat whenever I want now."

It's been 4 months since the NBA went away and there's been a lot of changes in that 4 months. It's John Wall's first game in the NBA. It's Lebron's first game in Miami. It's LA's ring night. That's why it matters. It's a showcase and wets everybody's appetite for the season.

Brazil
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Have you ever fasted for a couple of days? Maybe longer? You know the food is waiting for you. You have a steady check and your just waiting for the first one to come in so you can order that first meal out?

Is that a special occassion--breaking the fast? Do you remember every bite, plan and look forward to that first meal? Or do you say "Who cares? I can eat whenever I want now."

It's been 4 months since the NBA went away and there's been a lot of changes in that 4 months. It's John Wall's first game in the NBA. It's Lebron's first game in Miami. It's LA's ring night. That's why it matters. It's a showcase and wets everybody's appetite for the season.

You seem to be very exited to see Wall, why ?
I'm more exited to see Griffin with the clippers for instance. Wall is for sure a huge talent but I don't see being that relevant tbh

Darrin
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
You seem to be very exited to see Wall, why ?
I'm more exited to see Griffin with the clippers for instance. Wall is for sure a huge talent but I don't see being that relevant tbh

I love point guards. I grew up being drilled that defenses win Championships and therefore, it's the only side of the basketball to pay attention to. Point Guards have to know when to pass, when to shoot, and reading that situation--having patience, blowing by a defender, seeing the action develop--those skills are never useless at any position, but it is the point guard's duty to do them. In short, a great point guard uses distraction, intelligence, quick reflexes, and knowledge of the game to out-smart a defense. It's like a profiler. You have to think like the criminal (defense) to break down what the criminal (defense) does.

John Wall is the best I have ever seen come into the league at facilitating the ball in the manner I described. And what I mean by that is I didn't pay attention to the draft until 2000. So we're talking 10 years. If he gets the right coach, watch out. I wanted him in a Pistons uniform. I watched Kentucky simply because I needed to see a good point guard. I got spoiled with Chauncey Billups.

So this is the first time for me that I will be following the type of player I want to see in the NBA from day one. I've never done this before. He'll probably disappoint me and Griffin will win Rookie of the Year, but I want to find out.

Lars
08-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Probably because Houston is one of the top 5 teams in the league and the only other one of the five, the Magic, are boring to watch.

Brazil
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I love point guards. I grew up being drilled that defenses win Championships and therefore, it's the only side of the basketball to pay attention to. Point Guards have to know when to pass, when to shoot, and reading that situation--having patience, blowing by a defender, seeing the action develop--those skills are never useless at any position, but it is the point guard's duty to do them. In short, a great point guard uses distraction, intelligence, quick reflexes, and knowledge of the game to out-smart a defense. It's like a profiler. You have to think like the criminal (defense) to break down what the criminal (defense) does.

John Wall is the best I have ever seen come into the league at facilitating the ball in the manner I described. And what I mean by that is I didn't pay attention to the draft until 2000. So we're talking 10 years. If he gets the right coach, watch out. I wanted him in a Pistons uniform. I watched Kentucky simply because I needed to see a good point guard. I got spoiled with Chauncey Billups.

So this is the first time for me that I will be following the type of player I want to see in the NBA from day one. I've never done this before. He'll probably disappoint me and Griffin will win Rookie of the Year, but I want to find out.

I will certainly pay more attention to Wall after reading your take. I confess I didn't see him playing a lot. What I had in mind is a very athletic player ala Rose with better passing skills and once again I was more intrigued by Blake upside.

In terms of PGs there are a lot of new talents in the nba: jennings, curry, wall, evans... even a guy like collison, it's a very talented generation.

The PG I will follow the most is S. Curry, maybe I'm crazy but I think he is the most skilled of all. For his first year he played pg / sg / off the bench / in the starting 5 / with and w/o ellis and he has never disappointed playing 20 or 40 mn. He can do everything, he almost achieved a quadruple double with something like 25 points 15 assists 8 reb and 7 or 8 steals in his first year.

LeHeat_Dynasty
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Miami's first win of the season against Boston. Nothing better.:toast

Darrin
08-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I will certainly pay more attention to Wall after reading your take. I confess I didn't see him playing a lot. What I had in mind is a very athletic player ala Rose with better passing skills and once again I was more intrigued by Blake upside.

In terms of PGs there are a lot of new talents in the nba: jennings, curry, wall, evans... even a guy like collison, it's a very talented generation.

The PG I will follow the most is S. Curry, maybe I'm crazy but I think he is the most skilled of all. For his first year he played pg / sg / off the bench / in the starting 5 / with and w/o ellis and he has never disappointed playing 20 or 40 mn. He can do everything, he almost achieved a quadruple double with something like 25 points 15 assists 8 reb and 7 or 8 steals in his first year.

Stephen Curry is a combo guard, and a very good one with cut-throat mentality and blinding quickness, but he's just as likely to look for his shot before he explores his options. Watching Wall in the summer league, I don't expect him to need that much adjustment.

YellowFever
08-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Dammit, I was hoping for a LA/Portland first game.

I still haven't seen Oden play.

Ashy Larry
08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
I really don't care who the Lakers play on ring night ..... two things will be accomplished though:

(1) they'll get those shiny rings

(2) clinch the pacific division and home court through the west in their first game.......

Venti Quattro
08-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Here is the list of marquee games released by the NBA:

10/26 - Miami at Boston, TNT 7:30 p.m.
10/26 - Houston at Lakers, TNT 10:30 p.m.
10/27 - Chicago at Thunder, ESPN 8 p.m.
10/27 - Portland at Clippers, ESPN 10:30 p.m.
10/28 - Wizards at Orlando, TNT 8 p.m.
10/28 - Phoenix at Utah, TNT 10:30 p.m.
10/29 - Orlando at Miami, ESPN 8 p.m.
10/29 - Lakers at Phoenix, ESPN 10:30 p.m.
10/30 - Denver at Houston, NBA TV 8:30 p.m.
10/31 - Utah at Thunder, NBA TV 7 p.m.
11/01 - Portland at Chicago, NBA TV 8 p.m.
12/25 - Chicago at N.Y., ESPN 12 noon
12/25 - Boston at Orlando, ABC 2:30 a.m.
12/25 - Miami at Lakers, ABC 5 p.m.
12/25 - Denver at Thunder, ESPN 8 pm.
12/25 - Portland at G.S., ESPN 10:30 p.m.
01/17 - Chicago at Memphis, ESPN 1 p.m.
01/17 - Kings at Atlanta, NBA TV 4 p.m.
01/17 - Orlando at Boston, TNT 8 p.m.
01/17 - Thunder at Lakers, TNT 10:30 p.m.

I wonder why they didn't include the first Lakers-Celtics matchup in their marquee matchup list. Last two champs and last season's finalists... that's got to count for something.

johnnySpurs
08-04-2010, 07:10 AM

I wonder why they didn't include the first Lakers-Celtics matchup in their marquee matchup list. Last two champs and last season's finalists... that's got to count for something.

Ashy Larry
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
looks like I'll have a busy week in late October...... I will hit that ring night and the next day, watch rookie Blake Griffin and legendary Greg Oden compare fucked up knees

Damn, goes to show you where Dallas and San Antone are. Those two squads weren't even mentioned ......

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 02:41 PM

If somebody can't wait an extra 1 day to watch their team play, they have some serious problems with patience..

Also, I can't speak for everybody, but as an NBA fan, I get excited to watch opening night, regardless of which teams are playing..just getting an NBA fix is enough for me, I can wait the extra day to watch my team play..

Sisk
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/photo/79/79913-StopSnitchingTop.jpg

milkshakeballa
08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
If somebody can't wait an extra 1 day to watch their team play, they have some serious problems with patience..

Also, I can't speak for everybody, but as an NBA fan, I get excited to watch opening night, regardless of which teams are playing..just getting an NBA fix is enough for me, I can wait the extra day to watch my team play..

Luckily you don't have too. One of your "teams" is playing everyday.

Venti Quattro
08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Lakers to visit Miami Heat on March 10 (http://lakers.ocregister.com/2010/08/09/lakers-to-visit-miami-heat-on-march-10/40159/)

August 9th, 2010, 5:06 pm · Post a Comment · posted by KEVIN DING, OCREGISTER.COM

If you don’t want to give up your Christmas, make sure you set aside March 10.

That’s the other time the Lakers will face the newly loaded Miami Heat in the 2010-11 NBA regular season. The full schedule will be revealed by the NBA on Tuesday, but The Register has learned the Lakers’ visit to Miami will come March 10 on a four-game trip East.

The Lakers-Heat game at Staples Center was previously released by the NBA as kicking off its ABC TV schedule on Christmas after the Boston-Orlando matchup. The Lakers’ game in Miami will — duh — also be nationally televised, with TNT getting that telecast.

It’ll be the Lakers’ biggest road game of the season, an honor that used to go to Cleveland when LeBron James played there. As someone who is not a fan of Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena, where we reporters are seated sky-high in the stands, I will say that I’m delighted by the Cavaliers’ demise, by the way. Covering a Lakers NBA Finals from so far from the court was always a concern of mine. (If anyone still cares, the Lakers will play their one game at Cleveland on Feb. 16 in the last game before All-Star weekend in Los Angeles.)

Even before James and Chris Bosh joined up with Dwyane Wade, the Lakers have had some tough games in Miami. They lost at American Airlines Arena last season despite Kobe Bryant’s 39 points and jumper to force overtime with 3.3. seconds left in regulation. They lost the previous season, 89-87, with Bryant missing a jumper at the final buzzer and Wade scoring 35 for Miami.

SomeCallMeTim
08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Lakers to visit Miami Heat on March 10 (http://lakers.ocregister.com/2010/08/09/lakers-to-visit-miami-heat-on-march-10/40159/)

August 9th, 2010, 5:06 pm · Post a Comment · posted by KEVIN DING, OCREGISTER.COM

If you don’t want to give up your Christmas, make sure you set aside March 10.

That’s the other time the Lakers will face the newly loaded Miami Heat in the 2010-11 NBA regular season. The full schedule will be revealed by the NBA on Tuesday, but The Register has learned the Lakers’ visit to Miami will come March 10 on a four-game trip East.

The Lakers-Heat game at Staples Center was previously released by the NBA as kicking off its ABC TV schedule on Christmas after the Boston-Orlando matchup. The Lakers’ game in Miami will — duh — also be nationally televised, with TNT getting that telecast.

It’ll be the Lakers’ biggest road game of the season, an honor that used to go to Cleveland when LeBron James played there.

Nope. From 2008 onward, especially these last two years, Boston was the road game of the year for the Lakers. The Cleveland game was 2nd place.

No disagreement on @ MIA being the biggest road game of the year now. Hope the Heats are ready for that being true for nearly every team.

SomeCallMeTim
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM

This list is full of fail. Isn't even close to the comprehensive chart of true marquee games. Including Wiz @ Magic, Blazers @ Warriors, Bulls @ Grizz and Kings @ Hawks is a giveaway sign that this is a somewhat random grab bag of national games mixed in with true marquee matchups.

When your list doesn't include Miami @ Cleveland, LA/Boston, Dallas/SA, Chicago @ Utah... then your list is broke.

Venti Quattro
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
yeah i'm also befuddled as to why the NBA didn't include LA-BOS as marquee games