PDA

View Full Version : Blue ray or ps3?

SourCandy
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey guys me again! lol I know I ask a lot but you guys usually help. So here goes.

I am making or setting up a small game room for when my friends or nephews come over. I bought a 37in hdtv. Only thing i need now is a blu ray player. I have about 400$ to blow on it so i was thinking why not get a ps3 for the blu ray/video games. I have a wii hooked up but I want to add another system so why not the blu ray/game right? Is this a good move? Or should I just buy a higher end blu ray player? Is a ps3 blu player not equal to a good name brand,high spec blu ray player?

I plan on making another thread about sound later :)

Cry Havoc
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
A Ps3 is one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market. You can't go wrong with it. It gives you a lot of connection options, plus a gaming machine, and a hard drive. It's excellent.

Drachen
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Is your 37 inch 1080p?

lefty
08-03-2010, 01:14 PM
PS3 is simply one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market

Frenzy
08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm surprised we still have physical cdz n blu rays. We should be all internet or digital by now.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Ps3, yes.

eyeh8u
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
wait for balli to come in and tell you that blu ray sucks, hd dvd is better and you should buy a xbox with an hd dvd external player and watch whatever movies that had made on hd-dvd before its death

MannyIsGod
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I've not bought a single blue ray or rented a single blue ray since getting my PS3. However, that will probably change if I get the entire Lost series.

duhoh
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
PS3 FTW!!!

seriously. no reason to not grab one when you have $400 to blow. then you can grab some movies/games on the side :tu

leemajors
08-03-2010, 06:10 PM
PS3 FTW!!!

seriously. no reason to not grab one when you have $400 to blow. then you can grab some movies/games on the side :tu

or she could get a $200 player and spend even more on movies.

Wild Cobra
08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
or she could get a $200 player and spend even more on movies.
A really good Samsung is only about $180. I've seen BluRay players at WalMart for under $100.

LnGrrrR
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
The only knock I've seen on PS3's is audio quality/conversion. I've got a Panasonic Blu-Ray player I picked up for about $180 that does upscaling really well. But if you want another gaming system, PS3 is definitely a good way to go. Also, PS3 will have 3D capability, IIRC.

SourCandy
08-03-2010, 09:03 PM
The only knock I've seen on PS3's is audio quality/conversion. I've got a Panasonic Blu-Ray player I picked up for about $180 that does upscaling really well. But if you want another gaming system, PS3 is definitely a good way to go. Also, PS3 will have 3D capability, IIRC.

upscaling?

LnGrrrR
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
upscaling?

Long story short, making non blu-ray movies look better.

Long version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upscaling

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Haven't had any problems with the PS3. Audio and video have both been flawless.

But if you don't play games, then you're better served spending/saving the extra money for a speaker set-up/AVR.

Wild Cobra
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
If you want 3D, there are monitors that have built in polarization, which means you don't require those expensive "shutter glasses." just the cheap glasses you use in the movie theaters.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
PS3, so many different things to do on it

PM5K
08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
When the PS3 first came out a lot of BR players cost the same if not more so buying a PS3 instead was almost a no-brainer. For the same or less money you'd get a device capable of not only playing BR's, but also playing games if you choose to do so, it's twice the machine for the same money.

However, now BR players can run as cheap as 108.00 at Walmart for a Phillips, maybe cheaper on Craigslist, while a PS3 starts out at 299.99 for a Slim. So for three times the price you really want to make sure you plan to actually use the PS3 for more than just BR playback.

Is anyone going to actually want to play it, and do you want to spend 60 bucks a pop on games?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
The only knock I've seen on PS3's is audio quality/conversion.

Could you expand on that?

z0sa
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Could you expand on that?

+1, never noticed anything myself but he could be comparing blu-ray players in general.

Nathan Explosion
08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
If you don't want games, you can get a Blu Ray player with wifi and stream Netflix as well as watch movies.

If you want the games, then go with the PS3, get some Blu Ray players and possibly a Netflix subscription. You really can't go wrong either way.

SourCandy
08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
thanks for the input once again guys. I don't play much games but my friends and nephews do. I have some of them over at least 2 times a week,so I know they would love it.

I would love to play with them but I don't really know what game to start on. I don't want to buy a game and they say "oh tia that game is old" lol or my friends.

So any ideas for a first game? I haven't played games in a looon time. back in the ps2 days. I liked games like god of war or devil may cry. Or even some first person shooter games.
Any new games coming out that I should buy and brush up on so I can impress the kids?
they usually don't have money to buy the new new games unless I buy it for them. I want to shock them next time.

Cry Havoc
08-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Probably the pinnacle of the Ps3 at the moment.

resistanze
08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Uncharted 2 for me is the best game for PS3, so those are good choices above.

Not sure how old your nephews are, but I'm guessing the Ratchet and Clank games for PS3 would be perfect. Hell, I loved those games.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm playing UC2 right now and its good. The Ratchet and Clank games rock. God of War 3 was amazing but I don't know if thats good for kids. :lol

Nathan Explosion
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
If they like sports, then you have to buy Madden. No brainer. I don't have a PS3, but I know Uncharted 2 is awesome. It got the highest score out of Game Informer that I've ever seen. In fact, I think it's the only game that ever got a 10/10 (If you know games, I'm sure you heard about Modern Warfare 2 and it "only" got a 9.75/10 for comparison).

Another game that's a bit on the "old" side is Bad Company 2. Another great game that I don't own at the moment but will get.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I'd suggest Uncharted, Uncharted 2 (can't remember the rating on these ones -- killing, of course, but I don't remember how much there is in terms of language and such), the Ratchet & Clank games, and Little Big Planet.

Might not be good for the nephews depending on age, but if you liked the PS2 God of War games you'll like the new one, too. Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are awesome shooters, but again mature. The Wolverine game was surprisingly fun (more fun than actually good) considering how crappy the movie was. And Batman: Arkham Asylum is a bit slower paced than anything mentioned above, but is a great game.

resistanze
08-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm playing UC2 right now and its good. The Ratchet and Clank games rock. God of War 3 was amazing but I don't know if thats good for kids. :lol

The Aphrodite level is good sex ed, imo.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
+1, never noticed anything myself but he could be comparing blu-ray players in general.

Zosa nailed it; I'm just going off reviews I've read online on various kinds of blu-rays, and my personal viewing in Best Buy and other similar stores. But I've heard the audio is pretty decent on PS3, just not as good as some other standalone blu-rays.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Sour, there's a fun game called "Pain" or something similar from the Sony store... you just fling people at buildings, and the more damage you do, the more points you get.

balli
08-07-2010, 09:11 PM
wait for balli to come in and tell you that blu ray sucks, hd dvd is better and you should buy a xbox with an hd dvd external player and watch whatever movies that had made on hd-dvd before its death

What a bitchmade post. I once said hd-dvd was better format than blu ray (it was) and that it's a shame it lost the war. I never have suggested that anybody go out and buy a discontinued hd-dvd player. Quit making shit up.

I also said that physical media is a fucking joke. And that's what I think of blu-ray. It's barely born and already dying. By which I mean there are already many hd quality streaming services widely available and they will only become more popular and in even better quality. It is also now possible to fit 32 GB's (or more) on a dirt cheap chip the size of my pinky fingernail.

So again, quit making shit up. And enjoy driving to the store for your huge-ass, $35, soon to be thought of like laser-disc, blu-ray movies, before that shit bites the dust in the relatively near future.