PDA

View Full Version : 12 is the perfect conference size

vander
08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
you play 5 teams every year, 6 teams every other year, 4 out of conference games, and a conference championship game.

from a scheduling standpoint, it doesn't get any better than that

I hope the SEC, ACC, Pac 12 and Big 12 stay at 12, and I hope the Big East and MWC get to 12 soon. would be nice if the Big 10 fell apart and MWC picked up 3 from there, but I guess the Big 10 adding 2 would be the more likely scenario

:wakeup

Blake
08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
4-5 16 team superconferences imo.

conference winners play in a playoff format.

K-State Spur
08-03-2010, 02:47 PM

You'd rarely see the majority of the teams on the other side of the league.

Unless you greatly expand the schedule to 14-16 games, a 16 superconference is really just 2 regular conferences with scheduling privileges and a championship game...but splitting the revenues for such 16 ways.

Thompson
08-03-2010, 02:52 PM

That's what I'm hoping for. They could have a few 'at large' teams from outside the conferences be voted into the playoffs as well.

vander
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Unless you greatly expand the schedule to 14-16 games, a 16 superconference is really just 2 regular conferences with scheduling privileges and a championship game...but splitting the revenues for such 16 ways.

yeah, no balance there whatsoever, there'll never be any great OoC matchups because most teams will use their 2 or 3 on cupcakes, and when you're only playing 2 or 3 games against the 8 teams in the other conference, (so, about once every 3 or 4 years) in what way is that really even a conference, there are teams that schedule OoC teams more often that that

16 team conferences would be awful

Blake
08-03-2010, 04:42 PM

13 games:

7 in-division games

4 out-of-division

2 out of conference

I think the TV contracts will be negotiated accordingly and the moneys divided out won't be much different.

Blake
08-03-2010, 04:43 PM
yeah, no balance there whatsoever, there'll never be any great OoC matchups because most teams will use their 2 or 3 on cupcakes, and when you're only playing 2 or 3 games against the 8 teams in the other conference, (so, about once every 3 or 4 years) in what way is that really even a conference, there are teams that schedule OoC teams more often that that

so basically the OoC scheduling won't change much.