PDA

View Full Version : Lucky find in basement stops foreclosure

Cyrano
08-04-2010, 12:21 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/superman-comic-saves-familys-home/story?id=11306997

Superman Comic Saves Family Home From Foreclosure
Unexpected Find of Action Comics No. 1 Could Fetch Upwards of a Quarter of a Million Dollars at Auction

By RAY SANCHEZ
August 3, 2010—

A struggling family facing foreclosure has stumbled upon what is considered to be the Holy Grail of comic books in their basement  a fortuitous find that could fetch upwards of a quarter million dollars at auction.

A copy of Action Comics No. 1, the first in which Superman ever appeared, was discovered as they went about the painful task of packing up a home that had been in the family since at least the 1950s. The couple, who live in the South with their children, asked to remain anonymous.

"The bank was about ready to foreclose," said Vincent Zurzolo, co-owner of ComicConnect.com and Metropolis Comics and Collectibles in New York. "Literally, this family was in tears. The family home was going to be lost and they're devastated. They can't figure out a way out of this. They start packing things up. They go into the basement and start sifting through boxes  trying to find packing boxes  and they stumble on eight or nine comic books."

Most of the comic books in the box were worth between $10 and $30 but one  dated June 1938 and depicting the Man of Steel lifting a car above his head  was extremely rare. That issue, which originally sold for 10 cents, is considered to have ushered in the age of the superhero.

"It's a tremendous piece of American pop culture history," Zurzolo said. The couple learned online that ComicConnect.com had brokered the record-breaking sales of Action No. 1 copies for $1 million in February and then $1.5 million one month later. They immediately texted a cell phone picture to the firm's co-owner, Stephen Fishler.

"You couldn't have asked for a happier ending," Zurzolo said. "Superman saved the day."

Most Americans aren't so lucky. Nationwide, more than 1.6 million properties were in some stage of foreclosure in the first half of the year, according to RealtyTrac, up about 8 percent from a year ago but down 5 percent from the final six months of 2009. The couple had recently taken out a second mortgage on their home to start a new business, which failed in the uncertain economy. Mortgage payments were missed and the bank soon came after their home, which became theirs after the death of the wife's father. Fishler had to get on the phone to convince the bank to back off.

Wild Cobra
08-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if one sold for $1.5 million, then adding another to the rarity may make it only a $1 million value if in the same condition. the more there are, the less each is worth.

Cyrano
08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Read the article. They are estimating a quarter million.

Wild Cobra
08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Read the article. They are estimating a quarter million.
Must not be in as good of shape.

At least it should pay for the house after taxes.

ploto
08-04-2010, 05:42 AM
One of the worst things they have ever done financially-speaking was to allow people to borrow against the equity in their homes.

koriwhat
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
i have a 1955-56 batman in poor shape(termites but still not that bad, just the corners and a little bit here and there missing)... i wonder how much it would be worth?

Bender
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
One of the worst things they have ever done financially-speaking was to allow people to borrow against the equity in their homes.
I think home equity loans are ok, but yeah, they should probably make them not so easy, and increase the qualifications to get one.

If I had a bunch of high-interest consumer debt, and I was making the payments ok, I should be able to move some to a H-E loan, save tons of interest expense, and maybe deduct the interest on my tax return if I itemize deductions...

Cry Havoc
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Action Comics #1 is worth about $250,000 if it's around a 6 in quality. Some pages are probably bent or creased, but still, that's a really nice find.

It shouldn't devalue the others if it's not in excellent condition. The 1.5 mil was an 8 in quality, I believe, out of 10.

EDIT: Ah, it states that it's a 5. Missed the second page. Close enough.

austN Spur
08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I have the issue were superman died and then a hallogram cover issue of superman going into the afterlife. I hope these are worth some money 30-40 years from now

ploto
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I think home equity loans are ok, but yeah, they should probably make them not so easy, and increase the qualifications to get one.

If I had a bunch of high-interest consumer debt, and I was making the payments ok, I should be able to move some to a H-E loan, save tons of interest expense, and maybe deduct the interest on my tax return if I itemize deductions...

The problem is that so many people after they remove all that high interest consumer debt to a HE loan, run it right back up.

Bender
08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
The problem is that so many people after they remove all that high interest consumer debt to a HE loan, run it right back up.
yeah I agree. lots of people have no willpower or resistance...

Johnny RIngo
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Action Comics #1 is worth about $250,000 if it's around a 6 in quality. Some pages are probably bent or creased, but still, that's a really nice find.

It shouldn't devalue the others if it's not in excellent condition. The 1.5 mil was an 8 in quality, I believe, out of 10.

EDIT: Ah, it states that it's a 5. Missed the second page. Close enough.

I remember back in '03, multi-millionaire Steve Geppi was searching for a near-mint copy of Action Comics #1 (that would be around a 9.4 on the CGC grade). Strangely enough, the one that recently sold for 1.5 mil was once owned by Geppi in the 90s.

Johnny RIngo
08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I have the issue were superman died and then a hallogram cover issue of superman going into the afterlife. I hope these are worth some money 30-40 years from now

Unless you have the rare platinum versions, I wouldn't wait around for either issue to appreciate in value. Both of those comics were printed during the height of Superman's popularity in the 90s so there were around 4 million copies of Superman #75 churned out(the death issue) and around 2 million copies of Adventures #500 made(the afterlife issue). The only other modern comic that's been printed in larger quantities was X-Men #1 from the early 90s. I remember seeing all three of these comics in the bargain bins when my local comic book store was still around.

IIRC, there was a dealer giving away unopened copies of Adventures #500 outside the theater where I saw Batman and Robin(he was there selling comics to the kiddies who saw the crapfest and gave away a copy of Adventures 500 with every purchase).

MavDynasty
08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
:cry great fuckin happy story

MavDynasty
08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
i have a 1955-56 batman in poor shape(termites but still not that bad, just the corners and a little bit here and there missing)... i wonder how much it would be worth?

better sell it soon unless your hippie male secretary ass is doing well.

lol dumbass highschool dropout

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:29 AM
better sell it soon unless your hippie male secretary ass is doing well.

lol dumbass highschool dropout

whatever man... how's the protest going btw? lame fuck!

BUMP
08-05-2010, 01:41 AM
whatever man... how's the protest going btw? lame fuck!

0. correct!

dallas has the same number of championships as bump has witty comments.

btw, i'm done conversing with you. i've tried to converse with you without this becoming a troll job but it never fails. you're a) most likely a youngin' who gets some weird pleasure out of trollin' or b) just a complete dumbass. whether it's A or B doesn't matter because you, unlike what the mavs crew says about yall raising the bar, have nothing of substance to add to any conversation here and you prove that with your trollin'.

good day dipshit!

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
2 more weeks and all lazy fat ass kids have to go back to school. no more couches and ps3, no more funyuns and dr pepper, no more springer and dragon ball z. too bad, too sad.

Dave Mustaine
08-05-2010, 02:08 AM
2 more weeks and all lazy fat ass kids have to go back to school. no more couches and ps3, no more funyuns and dr pepper, no more springer and dragon ball z. too bad, too sad.

anybody would be fat to you, you scrawny sack of shit.

lmao I'm taking kickboxing lessons!

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 02:19 AM
anybody would be fat to you, you scrawny sack of shit.

lmao I'm taking kickboxing lessons!

i can't hate on dave mustaine, never!

gaKNOW!blee
08-05-2010, 07:55 AM
now if only i could find something like this in my car so the bank doesn't re-po it

lil'mo
08-05-2010, 10:22 AM
A struggling family

"Literally, this family was in tears."

They immediately texted a cell phone picture to the firm's co-owner, Stephen Fishler.

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

yeah these people got it real tough with their camera phones and free houses