PDA

View Full Version : American Graffiti vs. Fast Times vs. Dazed and Confused

midnightpulp
08-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Which one do you like the most, or think is the best film?

J.T.
08-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Dazed and Confused is pretty much American Graffiti for the 70s. But it has better music and is much more quotable (you can use "It'd be a lot cooler if you did..." like daily). Fast Times is kind of different because it's not a period piece like the other two but it has memorable characters, more sex and the Phoebe Cates swimming pool scene, which can't be overlooked.

Personally I'd say the gold medal winner is Dazed and Confused, but I say this with extreme bias considering I live in Austin and smoke weed at the baseball field where the little freshman kid gets busted in the parking lot by the seniors on the reg. Is it trespassing? Probably, but I think it's in the spirit of the movie and obviously I'm already smoking pot so what's one more broken law gonna hurt? Silver goes to Fast Times for Phoebe Cates's tits and American Graffiti wins the bronze. Seriously I probably would have rather seen Happy Days The Movie instead. But hey, at least Lucas still gave us Star Wars, which didn't suck until 1999.

Bender
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM
american graffiti - all time great classic

Fast Times - ok if you aren't too intelligent... but all the Sean Penn parts were classic! oh yeah, the phoebe cates scene of course, and the Judge reinhold scenes were all great.

Dazed - not sure I've seen it or not

American Graffiti should not even be compared to the other two.

Medvedenko
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I love Fast Times and Dazed and Confused. I've seen them multiple times and each have classic charaters and scenarios. AG is good as well, however doesn't linger in my brain as long as the other 2.

Both movies have a lot of well known actors and actors that became more famous after the fact.

Dave Mustaine
08-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I think Dazed and Confused is the overall better movie, but Spicoli is the better character from either movie.

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Guess I'm not too intelligent... I pick Fast Times.

When you're talking about what constitutes a classic, at some point you have to factor in how much people want to watch it again, and it's a safe bet Fast Times has been re-run more times than either competitor has been watched.

mrsmaalox
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
:lol I'm not too intelligent either, so I pick Fast Times also.

American Graffiti is a fine film, but I just don't find any of the individual characters very interesting or attractive. I think you have to be able to relate to at least one character, and I just don't care about or would be friends with any of them.

Dazed isn't as good a film as Graffiti, but the characters are easier for me to relate to and I definitely have friends who they could have been based on.

Everything about Fast Times appeals to me personally. I like it's music the most and there is a wider range of personalities to the characters. When it first came out I was pretty intrigued with the concept that Cameron Crowe actually went undercover at a high school to write the book the movie is based on, so that peaked the interest factor even more.

They are all very good coming of age films.

Bender
08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
man, I'm getting ganged up on here...

guess I'll have to watch fast times again, give Mr. Hand and Spicoli another chance. I haven't seen it since I've been old.

I saw A.G. at the theaters when it was new, so maybe I've got a soft spot for it.

CosmicCowboy
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Porkys

"Why do they call her Lassie?'

http://video.sbrforum.com/video-5677-porky-lassie-clip.html

mrsmaalox
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM

guess I'll have to watch fast times again, give Mr. Hand and Spicoli another chance. I haven't seen it since I've been old.

I saw A.G. at the theaters when it was new, so maybe I've got a soft spot for it.

:lol

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM

The charm of AG is it plays like a Beach Boys song... innocent and good-natured. But it doesn't tackle anything of substance the way Fast Times tries to: developing sexuality, pregnancy, working in corporate environments, etc. It's a light film (as all of these are) but it has more depth than its competition, IMO.

I think D&C is the only film Linklater's ever done that doesn't drown in its own pretensions, and, while it does a great job of capturing central TX in the 70's, it loses points in my book because it is so regionally specific. Fast Times is very California, but with the exception of Spicoli, it could be set anywhere.

JudynTX
08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
1) Fast Times
2) Dazed & Confused
3) American Graffiti

Bender
08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
The charm of AG is it plays like a Beach Boys song... innocent and good-natured. But it doesn't tackle anything of substance the way Fast Times tries to: developing sexuality, pregnancy, working in corporate environments, etc. It's a light film (as all of these are) but it has more depth than its competition, IMO.

yeah I know... but that was partially due to being a 1973 movie instead of an 80s movie. Movies got more and more daring as the years went by. Plus, I really love the music in AG, I remember buying the double LP back when I was 14.

Now that I'm seeing fast times in my head, I feel like watching it again...

lil_penny
08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Dazed and confused

Fpoonsie
08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I was never a fan of Fast Times, not sure if I've ever even seen AG, but D&C gets re-run on the regular at my apartment.

balli
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Fast Times #1.

Dazed and Confused is alright, but I put it in the same category as Hunter Thompson books and Pink Floyd; it's a coming of age thing, to be mostly enjoyed as you're coming of age and is pretty much shallow otherwise. Same goes for Fast Times, but Spicoli is funnier than anything in D&C, and thus is more re-watchable.

George Lucas is a fucking clown and the first three Star Wars were great in spite of him, not because of him. I haven't and won't ever watch American Graffiti.

Johnny RIngo
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
1) American Graffiti
2) Fast Times
3) Dazed and Confused

4>0rings
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
<<

Tod Pricket
08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
^^^ what does

<<< mean?

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
^^^ what does

<<< mean?

Apparently he's voting for D&C, based on his avatar.

Dex
08-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Dazed and Confused because I am biased and have not seen the other two.

I'll be awaiting your whipper snapper comments.

Pauly D
08-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Fast Times #1.

Dazed and Confused is alright, but I put it in the same category as Hunter Thompson books and Pink Floyd; it's a coming of age thing, to be mostly enjoyed as you're coming of age and is pretty much shallow otherwise. Same goes for Fast Times, but Spicoli is funnier than anything in D&C, and thus is more re-watchable.

George Lucas is a fucking clown and the first three Star Wars were great in spite of him, not because of him. I haven't and won't ever watch American Graffiti.

:lmao

ymsHLkB8u3s

I bet you get compared to that douchebag from Good Will Hunting a lot in real life don't you? Trust me bro, I know douchebags. And it aint just this post that you demonstrate it

gameFACE
08-05-2010, 02:02 PM
1. American Graffiti
2. Dazed and Confused
3. Fast Times

AG and D&C are really close. It's a tough call but I give the edge to AG. It takes place in a transitional time in US history that had a bigger impact than the part of the 70's D&G takes place in. I also liked the way AG used the car and streets as a theme. You have all this fun and safe chaos in the city streets but you have that single car on the road at the end like a cut from the umbilical cord. My generation is in between AG and D&C so I can relate to both.

Fast Times was good but it wasn't retrospective like the other two. It's more in the same category as American Pie - products of their own time. That's why you get more chi-chi. Phoebe Cates AND Jennifer Jason Leigh.

These are three movies I can watch over and over again.

Biernutz
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I think how old you were when the time frame the movie was placed will relate to how much you will like each movie. I like them all.

JoeChalupa
08-05-2010, 11:48 PM
american graffiti - all time great classic

fast times - ok if you aren't too intelligent... But all the sean penn parts were classic! Oh yeah, the phoebe cates scene of course, and the judge reinhold scenes were all great.

Dazed - not sure i've seen it or not

american graffiti should not even be compared to the other two.

+1

phyzik
08-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Dazed And Confused.

The only one immortalized by Family Guy, Nevermind being immortalized on its own.

Nevermind that it had the baddest fucking cars out of all 3 movies in this thread. The cars alone make it beat out the other 2.

Win. Hands. Down.

GekgVgjgIeQ

TheTruth
08-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Dazed and Confused is an all time favorite of mine, so it's not really all that close. I really like AG, but DC is on another level for me.