PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Signs One-Year Deal With Celtics

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Shaq Signs One-Year Deal With Celtics (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68521/20100804/shaq_signs_one_year_deal_with_celtics/)

Aug 04, 2010 11:22 AM EST
http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/ONeal_Shaquille_cle.jpg Shaquille O'Neal has signed a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum with the Celtics.
In the wake of the injury to Kendrick Perkins, the Celtics signed rookie center Semih Erden and later, veteran big man Jermaine O'Neal.

We are not the old guys on the block anynore.

GinobiliForTres
08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
He said on Jimmy Kimmel or whatever that he has 2 years left...why sign for one year?

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Plus he was demanding higher pay and more playing time. They have Perkins, Jermaine O'Neal and now him. Doesn't make any sense

Leetonidas
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
If Wallace comes back, despite them being old, they have a shitload of size on that team.

My Fault
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
NBA forum

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
It's Spurs Forum because he was very close to signing with the Spurs so why don't you stick to the NBA FORUM

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank god. No more Shaq threads.

Oh, Gee!!
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
that settles it. the heat will take the east now.

lefty
08-04-2010, 11:17 AM
He will sign with the Spurs in 2011 !!!!!!!

lol

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks like it with that big man front line

ThaBigFundamental21
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Good, now you idiots can stop posting that Shaq is coming to the Spurs. We never wanted him to begin with. He isn't good anyway.

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
It's Spurs Forum because he was very close to signing with the Spurs so why don't you stick to the NBA FORUM

I don't care that it's on this forum, but by what measure was he "very close" to coming here?

My Fault
08-04-2010, 11:47 AM

No he wasn't and this has nothing to do with the Spurs. I think most agree that we've had enough with the Shaq threads. He has never coming to the Spurs.

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I guess you don't read much more than outside of this forum. He had cut it down to the Hawks and the Spurs but he wanted more than the $2.6 million left on our mid-level and more playing time.

CubanMustGo
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess you don't read much more than outside of this forum. He had cut it down to the Hawks and the Spurs but he wanted more than the $2.6 million left on our mid-level and more playing time.

So instead he goes to the Celts, where he'll have virtually no PT and signed for the vet minimum. Right.

chrisrod2008
No he wasn't and this has nothing to do with the Spurs. I think most agree that we've had enough with the Shaq threads. He has never coming to the Spurs.

My Fault just hush up man you got no business on this thread and BigFundamental I could give a rats ass what you think.

Supergirl
If Wallace comes back, despite them being old, they have a shitload of size on that team.

Wallace is retiring. He's already announced that.

They are old, but Shaq is a decent back up center and the Celtics need some depth at that position with Perk's injury and Jermaine O'Neal being so prone to injury himself and KG's knees...

My Fault
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM

This maybe a shocker but everything you read on the internet is not true. Spurs signed Tiago, Shaq is not needed. Plus he would be a very bad fit.

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
This maybe a shocker but everything you read on the internet is not true. Spurs signed Tiago, Shaq is not needed. Plus he would be a very bad fit.

The bad fit thing i don't agree with because the Spurs are a half court team and to have a big man beat up and wear down thier big men would have been huge. Shaq wouldn't have to run on this squad just rebound, clog the lane and beat players up.

will_spurs
08-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd say the rumor was big enough that this thread deserves to be here... otherwise why not have moved all the "Shaq to Spurs" rumor threads before.

Anyway the good news is: Shaq isn't coming to the Spurs.

We knew it already, but it's good to have a confirmation.

My Fault
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
The bad fit thing i don't agree with because the Spurs are a half court team and to have a big man beat up and wear down thier big men would have been huge. Shaq wouldn't have to run on this squad just rebound, clog the lane and beat players up.

On offense he would clog up the lane for the slashers and on D the Spurs would be PnRed to death. Spurs are good with the big rotation they have now. If any big is added it should be a stretch 4 IMO

will_spurs
So instead he goes to the Celts, where he'll have virtually no PT and signed for the vet minimum. Right.

My guess: no team was offering him ANY contract whatsoever. He tried to push the "I still make the rules" line, but now we know it wasn't the case at all.

chrisrod2008
Well said.....

boutons_deux
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Shaq's so fat he can warm two bench places with one cheap contract.

nkdlunch
08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
We never wanted him to begin with.

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Link that shows that Pop/RC extended an offer?

I can say that I've cut it down the Spurs and Mavs, doesn't mean that I'm close to signing with either.

Leetonidas
08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Shaq was never coming to the Spurs, and resigning Bonner and adding Splitter only solidified that. He wanted more than 2.6 million and more playing time, yet he signed with a team stacked at the PF/C positions and took the minimum. Dude, you don't know shit, get the fuck over yourself. While backseat moderating is fucking lame, acting like you know some inside information and getting all offended when people tell you this isn't Spurs related and Shaq was never even remotely close to signing with the Spurs makes you look like a huge asswipe. :toast

SenorSpur
08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
He said on Jimmy Kimmel or whatever that he has 2 years left...why sign for one year?

I would imagine it's because the C's were not willing to "ante up" a 2nd year to his fatness.

SenorSpur
08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Thank god. No more Shaq threads.

^ this

8FOR!3
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Shaquille O'Neal 2000 All-Star
Kevin Garnett 2000 All-Star | Jermaine O'Neal 2002 All-Star
Paul Pierce 2002 All-Star
Ray Allen 2000 All-Star | Michael Finley 2000 All-Star

LOL 10 years ago called and they want their NBA all star teams back...

silverblackfan
08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Great news! Celts needed extra baggage and the we don't have to deal with the Shaq rumors anymore. I would have hated him in a Spurs uniform.

rmt
08-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Shaq wants his 5th ring. He doesn't care about regular season PT or money. The Celtics gives him his best chance at #5 playing with the only true elite contender with whom he hasn't as yet burned his bridges.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Glad he's not coming here. For vet min it's not a terrible signing for a team that could have to face the Magic in the postseason. If he can stay healthy enough to do the Horry thing where he plays himself into something resembling game shape in the second half of the season he's one of the few people in the league with the overall physical mass to at least try to box out Dwight Howard.

And if the cookie crumbles in the other direction and all the age and injuries turn the Celtics into a struggling team and Shaq turns into a locker room problem then there's not much lost in just waiving him.

phxspurfan
08-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Glad he's not coming here. For vet min it's not a terrible signing for a team that could have to face the Lakers in the postseason. If he can stay healthy enough to do the Horry thing where he plays himself into something resembling game shape in the second half of the season he's one of the few people in the league with the overall physical mass to at least try to box out Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

And if the cookie crumbles in the other direction and all the age and injuries turn the Spurs into a struggling team and Shaq turns into a locker room problem then there's not much lost in just waiving him.

All those args seem to work for the Spurs too...

But I guess Splitter will do all those things as well *shrug*

silverblackfan
08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Glad he's not coming here. For vet min it's not a terrible signing for a team that could have to face the Magic in the postseason. If he can stay healthy enough to do the Horry thing where he plays himself into something resembling game shape in the second half of the season he's one of the few people in the league with the overall physical mass to at least try to box out Dwight Howard.

And if the cookie crumbles in the other direction and all the age and injuries turn the Celtics into a struggling team and Shaq turns into a locker room problem then there's not much lost in just waiving him.

Shaq waived. That would be a first. Even that would be entertaining, as I doubt he would go quietly into the night...

Muser
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
All those args seem to work for the Spurs too...

But I guess Splitter will do all those things as well *shrug*

Shaq would just eat up minutes and hinder Splitters transition to the NBA. Splitter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Old man Shaq.

phxspurfan
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Shaq would just eat up minutes and hinder Splitters transition to the NBA. Splitter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Old man Shaq.

Yeah makes sense; I forgot that Pop's lineup shuffling all these years would force Tiago to Splitt his minutes.

gospursgojas
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Team #6 for Shaq...what a joke

Cane
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Good move for a team out East since Shaq can still frustrate and defend Dwight Howard, especially for the Celtics since Sheed could be out in addition to Perkin's injury recovery.

Wouldn't like him as a Spur since Tiago and Blair need all the minutes they can get but for a 1 year vet-min it would've been interesting.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
When has Shaq ever benefited any team post 2006?

Every franchise he leaves is often in ruins. I understand why the Celtics signed up, and at least they don't try to play uptempo like the Suns did, so this should suit him more. But, they already got rid of one lazy player (Sheed), no need for another.

Blackjack
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
PDcavsinsider

Shaq got what he wanted, well sorta. Got his two-year deal with Celtics. But just for vet minimum, $2.8 million total. Hoped for $10 mill.

alchemist
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
vet min = Spurs failed

even at this age. Shaq >>>> Bonner

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I would take Shaq any day over Bonner. A center should be able to rebound and block shots and Bonner can't do either. The only reason he is on the team is because he runs the plays exactly how Pop wants it done. His only attribute is his 3 point shot and when that is not on he is a waaste of space out there.

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
vet min = Spurs failed

even at this age. Shaq >>>> Bonner

Serve different roles. Bonner may not be particularly good at his - but Shaq and him don't occupy the same spots on the floor.

Shaq is also one of the few players in the league who makes Bonner look like a great defender.

ajh18
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I would take Shaq any day over Bonner. A center should be able to rebound and block shots and Bonner can't do either. The only reason he is on the team is because he runs the plays exactly how Pop wants it done. His only attribute is his 3 point shot and when that is not on he is a waaste of space out there.

The problem is that Shaq isnt a replacement for Bonner in terms of playing time. Shaq would get playing time when the Spurs need a rebounder and some low-post scoring, and can afford to give up points in the post.

When we need mobility defensively, we have splitter.
When we need rebounding and questionable defense, we have blair.
When we need a decent all-around player who can play the high post, we have 'dysse.
When we need outside, stretch-shooting, we have bonner.

I dont want shaq taking time from any of the ppl whose skills he can actually replace. As for the others (Bonner) he wouldnt be playing in those moments anyway (or shouldnt be). He is also a tremendous liability on the pick and roll, and clogs the lane when on offense. His best role on our team would probably be to spell duncan.

chrisrod2008
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
What do we need right now.....what Shaq can offer or what little if any Bonner can offer. In the playoffs they left Bonner wide open and doubled Tim because he wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn.

L.I.T
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Just to clarify, most posters during the offseason and last season were complaining about vets getting preferential treatment in terms of playing time over the young guns.

Now Blair and Splitter are likely in line for big minutes next season and some fans are complaining that the Spurs didn't sign an over-the-hill, injury-prone Shaq?

By the way, this has nothing to do with Shaq vs. Bonner. Bonner has a specific role in the Spurs system (as painful as it may be to say). Shaq would have taken minutes away from Blair and potentially Splitter. That I would not want to see.

Good luck to the Big Baked Bean and the Celtics.

alchemist
08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Just to clarify, most posters during the offseason and last season were complaining about vets getting preferential treatment in terms of playing time over the young guns.

Now Blair and Splitter are likely in line for big minutes next season and some fans are complaining that the Spurs didn't sign an over-the-hill, injury-prone Shaq?

By the way, this has nothing to do with Shaq vs. Bonner. Bonner has a specific role in the Spurs system (as painful as it may be to say). Shaq would have taken minutes away from Blair and potentially Splitter. That I would not want to see.

Good luck to the Big Baked Bean and the Celtics.
Blair? Gasol/Bynum pair will eat the guy alive because he's undersized. Shaq is a huge body and even at this age the guy is pretty much unmovable, that's something you cannot get from Bonner/Blair even Splitter.

PuttPutt
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
The Big Shamrock. :rolleyes

L.I.T
08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Blair? Gasol/Bynum pair will eat the guy alive because he's undersized. Shaq is a huge body and even at this age the guy is pretty much unmovable, that's something you cannot get from Bonner/Blair even Splitter.

You're right. He pretty much is immovable.

I would much rather see Blair/Splitter playing than Shaq. There are approximately 96 minutes to divvy up between PF/C. There is no way Shaq plays PF, but for the sake of the argument we will include him.

Last season Blair played 18 minutes, Dice 21, Duncan 31 minutes and Bonner 18 minutes (about 8 too many) for a total of 88 minutes. The rest was some likely unholy version of small ball. With the addition of Splitter and the hoped for increase in minutes of Blair, there aren't a lot of minutes to go around.

I do agree that the Spurs could do with some more size up front, defensive size and some mobility. A 6th big if you will. Shaq does not fit that role.

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Spurs drop the ball again in FA not even making an offer.......

As I said in the other thread: Shaq was the primary reason we beat the Suns in 07. Why make an offer?

mystargtr34
08-04-2010, 07:06 PM
He could have solved the Lakers matchup problem for the Spurs.. but whatever.. we have McDyess to guard Bynum and Pau.

ohmwrecker
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Can we stop talking about this big, fat idiot now?

rayray2k8
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Honestly Mcdyess > Shaq
But the C's were hurting with their lack of size in the finals.

alchemist
08-04-2010, 07:15 PM
You're right. He pretty much is immovable.

I would much rather see Blair/Splitter playing than Shaq. There are approximately 96 minutes to divvy up between PF/C. There is no way Shaq plays PF, but for the sake of the argument we will include him.

Last season Blair played 18 minutes, Dice 21, Duncan 31 minutes and Bonner 18 minutes (about 8 too many) for a total of 88 minutes. The rest was some likely unholy version of small ball. With the addition of Splitter and the hoped for increase in minutes of Blair, there aren't a lot of minutes to go around.

I do agree that the Spurs could do with some more size up front, defensive size and some mobility. A 6th big if you will. Shaq does not fit that role.
That's all great but I'll take Shaq eating into some of Blair's minutes against the Lakers any day of the week. Every "big" the Spurs have right now is light weight, nothing brolic and you need that against the Lakers. As a back-up (the role he'll play in Boston) and for that amount (considering Bonner's contract) Shaq would've been a good piece.

DesignatedT
08-04-2010, 08:09 PM
He could have solved the Lakers matchup problem for the Spurs.. but whatever.. we have McDyess to guard Bynum and Pau.

Splitter can't guard them?

gospursgojas
08-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Spurs drop the ball again in FA not even making an offer.......

Shaq wanted to come here. The only thing that would have prevented him from coming here is not playing for vet min or the Spurs not wanting him.

Shaq playing for vet min in boston= spurs DID NOT want shaq

K-State Spur
08-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Blair?Shaq is a huge body and even at this age the guy is pretty much unmovable

Agreed. And that's the problem. On the defensive end, he can't move.

Russ
08-04-2010, 09:38 PM

You mean this guy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Frankenidiot.jpg

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 09:49 PM
You mean this guy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Frankenidiot.jpg

No

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
seriously fck shaq
http://i35.tinypic.com/skv0jk.gif

ceperez
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
A 7 foot 325 pounds low post scorer and defender for the vet minimum? Add in the fact that he averaged 12 points per game last season and I'd say that he is better than Bonner and Blair at the moment. Maybe even Tiago and McDyess. This place would go nuts if Shaq qmwere signed for the vet minimum.

disagree about being better than bonner or blair, but vet min is definitely a steal.

unfortunately spurs have been too conservative this off season.

silverblackfan
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Who can't wait to see the first Spurs "Hack-a-Shaq" as a celtic?
:hungry:

texas_gator
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
the big shamrock should wear his weight as his jersey number...

texas_gator
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Who can't wait to see the first Spurs "Hack-a-Shaq" as a celtic?
:hungry:

:flag::flag::flag:

SequSpur
08-04-2010, 11:17 PM
spurs suck balls at this free agent game...

alchemist
08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Agreed. And that's the problem. On the defensive end, he can't move.
You don't need speed against Gasol/Bynum you need size, have fun with the speed of Blair and Bonner against those two :lol

texaskid
08-04-2010, 11:47 PM
old old celtics

Leetonidas
08-04-2010, 11:50 PM
:lmao @ anyone thinking Shaq on the Spurs benefits us.

mystargtr34
08-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Splitter can't guard them?

I think Splitter can do a better job than anything the Spurs currently have on the roster, outside of Duncan - but at the same time he is unproven in the NBA.

Even then... he wouldnt have the same affect as Shaq in terms of taking away the Lakers size/rebounding advantage... I cant think of any player who could negate the Lakers front line more than Shaq could... outside of Dwight Howard.

mystargtr34
08-05-2010, 02:00 AM
:lmao @ anyone thinking Shaq on the Spurs benefits us.

As it stands... i think its fair to say the only team the Spurs pretty much have no shot at beating.. are the Lakers. Everybody else... i would be comfortable going into a series against. The Lakers should be the sole focus of the Spurs FO.. at the end of the day if you want to win a championship you have to go through them.. the rest will take care of itself.

Are you saying Shaq would not help the Spurs going up against Pau and Bynum?

Texas_Ranger
08-05-2010, 04:15 AM
I'd still rather have Shaq than Bonner. Fucking Boston now's got the best froncourt in the league. Garnett, Shaq, Jermaine, Davis, Perkins, Wallace... That's bad ass.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-05-2010, 04:32 AM
I'd still rather have Shaq than Bonner. Fucking Boston now's got the best froncourt in the league. Garnett, Shaq, Jermaine, Davis, Perkins, Wallace... That would have been bad ass in 2003.

There, fixed it.

DrSteffo
08-05-2010, 04:56 AM
So now we will get "What if Shaq had signed for the Spurs?"-threads instead of "Shaq will sign with the Spurs"-threads...

K-State Spur
08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
You don't need speed against Gasol/Bynum you need size, have fun with the speed of Blair and Bonner against those two :lol

Actually, you still need to be able to move your feet to guard those guys.

That's what Duncan, Splitter, and Dyess are for. All are better low post defenders than Shaq. There's also a very real possibility that Blair's long arms and strong base could allow him to be better than Shaq in defending the low post next year.

none of that is saying much - shaq is a bad defensive player and in DECLINE. some of you don't understand that last word - making posts believing that what shaq gave cleveland last year (which wasn't much) is what you'd get from him now. unlikely - you'd get less with another year under his belt.

boston is no closer to another title than they were 3 days ago.

admiralsnackbar
08-05-2010, 08:19 AM
There, fixed it.

:lol exactly.

Sean Cagney
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I see fat boy is out jumping to another team to try and get a ring. Shaq is seriously pathetic at this point with this crap, he has been to 100 teams now it seems.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, it worked out really well for Mike Fin last year so I commend Shaq on his choice of teams. :tu

spursfaninla
08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Shaq was called out (TODAY) by Jim Rome for being an extremely talented slob who did not come close to maximizing his potential over his career.

Shaq then tweeted that he challenged Rome to a boxing match on ESPN.

This is why the Spurs never seriously tried to get Shaq. He is FAR from focused on just fitting in and winning a championship as a role player. He is an attention whore who hurts more than he helps.

And to the people who thought that he is better than Blair-you are crazy. Blair's per40 is astronomical. With the right minutes and continued development, he will be a very good starter quality big.

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
And to the people who thought that he is better than Blair-you are crazy. Blair's per40 is astronomical. With the right minutes and continued development, he will be a very good starter quality big.

double blairs minutes and his stats should double, should avg something what howard is avg without the blocks and smiles

spursfaninla
08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
double blairs minutes and his stats should double, should avg something what howard is avg without the blocks and smiles

I would not go that far as to say he is Howard without the blocks.

But I would stand by my original statement. If his defense continues to improve, he gets more minutes, and develops a semblance of a mid-range shot, watch out. He was already (statistically speaking) the best bigman not named Drob and TD in the last 10 years of spurs basketball, during his ROOKIE YEAR.

K-State Spur
08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I would not go that far as to say he is Howard without the blocks.

I don't think he was saying that Blair is Howard without the blocks, only that his averages would be in Howard's neighborhood.

Last year Per 36, Howard was 19/10/61%. Blair was 15/13/56%. Throw in some second year improvement and it's not an outlandish comparison. Obviously, Howard's still the superior player and his blocks and size have bigger impact on the game than Blair ever will.

I do, however, feel safe in saying that if he were to get starter's minutes, he would lead the league in 20 & 20 games.

ducks
08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
2 year deal not one

Biernutz
08-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Shaq is talking crap with Jim Rome now. I like Shaq but do you think he is ready to be a bench back up? Really!!!!! Pop an RC dodged a bullet.

analyzed
08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Suddenly that Yankees manager (was it ?) who when interviewed by CNN about where Lebron would land, respnded : I'm more interested in where Shaq would go. dosen't sound so silly anymore :) . Seriously it's not to far fetch that Shaq's landing with the Celts could be the one FA move that stops the big 3 in Miami from winning it all :)

silverblackfan
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Shaq is talking crap with Jim Rome now. I like Shaq but do you think he is ready to be a bench back up? Really!!!!! Pop an RC dodged a bullet.

They didn't dodge a bullet. They were not even on the range. The FO knows there is more to helping a team than being big.

J_Paco
08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
They didn't dodge a bullet. They were not even on the range. The FO knows there is more to helping a team than being big.

Exactly, if this was two or three years ago then the Spurs would've offered Shaq a deal. Now, though Shaquille is 38-years-old and isn't close to being the great player he once was. Shaquille would help any team because of his size, but he's not the difference in winning a championship. I'm certain that Duncan and Splitter will get the bulk of the minutes against the Lakers and the Gasol-Bynum tandem.

daslicer
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Exactly, if this was two or three years ago then the Spurs would've offered Shaq a deal. Now, though Shaquille is 38-years-old and isn't close to being the great player he once was. Shaquille would help any team because of his size, but he's not the difference in winning a championship. I'm certain that Duncan and Splitter will get the bulk of the minutes against the Lakers and the Gasol-Bynum tandem.

The only problem is that if Splitter gets into foul trouble or vice versa Duncan then how will the spurs be able to matchup with the Gasol-Bynum tandem. The problem with that tandem is you need at least 3 7fters to defend it in case one gets in foul trouble. Boston showed that in the finals that once Perkins was gone they were screwed because they were forced to use Big Baby in his place and it prove useless. The problem with Gasol and Bynum is they can score at will against undersized players and that will be the case with Blair,McDyees,Bonner. Also they can get easy putbacks and offensive rebounds against an undersized front line.

Nobody knows if Splitter can even defend one of them but we are hoping he can but the only certainty we have is Duncan can stop one of them. Having Shaq would have helped in case foul trouble happens because now if Splitter or Duncan gets in early foul trouble the spurs will be in a world of hurt.

mystargtr34
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Actually, you still need to be able to move your feet to guard those guys.

That's what Duncan, Splitter, and Dyess are for. All are better low post defenders than Shaq. There's also a very real possibility that Blair's long arms and strong base could allow him to be better than Shaq in defending the low post next year.

none of that is saying much - shaq is a bad defensive player and in DECLINE. some of you don't understand that last word - making posts believing that what shaq gave cleveland last year (which wasn't much) is what you'd get from him now. unlikely - you'd get less with another year under his belt.

boston is no closer to another title than they were 3 days ago.

Shaq is far, far better suited to guard Bynum and Pau then all three of those guys... including Duncan... although you could probably give the edge to Duncan in regards to defending Pau. Both of those guys are traditional back to the basket post players... meaning they use their size.. both bulk and length to get the better of their opponents. Shaq being 7'1" 320 alone negates the majority of the advantage those two guys have over the Spurs.

Against the Spurs:

Bynum - 23 Points, 8 Rebounds
Pau - DNP

Bynum - DNP
Pau - 21 Points, 19 Rebounds, 8 Assists, 5 Blocks

Bynum - DNP
Pau - 10 Points, 12 Rebounds

Bynum - DNP
Pau - 32 Points, 7 Rebounds, 6 Assists

--------------------------------------------------------

Against the Cavs:

Bynum - 4 Points, 6 Rebounds
Pau - 11 Points, 6 Rebounds

Bynum - 7 Points, 8 Rebounds
Pau - 13 Points, 10 Rebounds

analyzed
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't know the exact minutes, but LA plays the bynum - Gasol tandem less than 12 minutes a game. Most minutes are either Gasol- odom or Bynum - Odom ( Odom get's more PT than Bynum). For the limited time the Bynum - gasol tandem are on the court , TD and Tiago combo should be able to handle those Minutes. While dice will be primary match-up on Odom. So all said having a 3rd 7 footer center like Shaq purely to match up vs LA would be insignificant

The only problem is that if Splitter gets into foul trouble or vice versa Duncan then how will the spurs be able to matchup with the Gasol-Bynum tandem. The problem with that tandem is you need at least 3 7fters to defend it in case one gets in foul trouble. Boston showed that in the finals that once Perkins was gone they were screwed because they were forced to use Big Baby in his place and it prove useless. The problem with Gasol and Bynum is they can score at will against undersized players and that will be the case with Blair,McDyees,Bonner. Also they can get easy putbacks and offensive rebounds against an undersized front line.

Nobody knows if Splitter can even defend one of them but we are hoping he can but the only certainty we have is Duncan can stop one of them. Having Shaq would have helped in case foul trouble happens because now if Splitter or Duncan gets in early foul trouble the spurs will be in a world of hurt.

analyzed
08-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Question: Who is the greatest player who has suited up for both the Lakers and Celtics ? I can't even think of any player who has suited up for both teams. Answers anyone ?

rmt
08-06-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't know the exact minutes, but LA plays the bynum - Gasol tandem less than 12 minutes a game. Most minutes are either Gasol- odom or Bynum - Odom ( Odom get's more PT than Bynum). For the limited time the Bynum - gasol tandem are on the court , TD and Tiago combo should be able to handle those Minutes. While dice will be primary match-up on Odom. So all said having a 3rd 7 footer center like Shaq purely to match up vs LA would be insignificant

Knowing how much Bynum has been injured in past years, IMO it would be foolhardy to assume that he will be injured again or that as he gains experience he will not be playing more minutes. Phil Jackson is great at exploiting a team's weaknesses and as the Spurs are so lacking in size, you can be sure that he'll be exploiting the Bynum/Gasol matchup.

Bynum and Gasol are both taller, stronger and longer than Duncan and Splitter. Splitter is still unproven in the NBA. Duncan and Dice are too old to play the number of minutes that the Lakers' frontline can. Blair is too short, and Bonner is useless. Shaq plays great against the Lakers and can neutralize at least one of them. IMO he wouldn't come to the Spurs unless the Celtics didn't want him as they afford him his best chance at #5 (of the contenders that he hasn't burnt bridges with).

K-State Spur
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Knowing how much Bynum has been injured in past years, IMO it would be foolhardy to assume he will be injured again.

WTH? Because he's been injured in the past, that makes it LESS likely that he will get hurt again?

Yeah, that makes sense. Does everybody have an injury "cup" - once it's been filled, they no longer get injured?

K-State Spur
08-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Question: Who is the greatest player who has suited up for both the Lakers and Celtics ? I can't even think of any player who has suited up for both teams. Answers anyone ?

Not a great player, but in recent memory Rick Fox spent long stints and was an effective player with both teams.

bigfan
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Ive got no problems with Shaq. Not Spurs material but he has been an interesting guy and I dont blame him for wanting a decent payday. I wish him well.

carib
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

no what was better or is better in the past 2 weeks or the next week, sure not the spurs

carib
08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Ive got no problems with Shaq. Not Spurs material but he has been an interesting guy and I dont blame him for wanting a decent payday. I wish him well.

i second that

carib
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I see fat boy is out jumping to another team to try and get a ring. Shaq is seriously pathetic at this point with this crap, he has been to 100 teams now it seems.

if he had no worth he would be jobless, let matt go the market and see how hard it wii be for him to find a job shaq is old and still better than matt

FilSpursFan
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Hl5bQduRAMc/SNJMdNJQ8EI/AAAAAAAACI8/oF_YTiqXuRI/s400/Jolly_green_giant.jpg:rolleyes:rolleyes